jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do certain people insist that all must believe in what they believe?

1. Good Guy profile image86
    Good Guyposted 7 years ago

Why do certain people insist that all must believe in what they believe?

2. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 7 years ago

Because they believe they are right. If everyone believes what they believe then they must be right, and if those other people believe something else then they are wrong. These sorts of people don't want to be wrong... Either that or they're just stubborn. I hope that makes sense and answers your question.

3. telltale profile image76
    telltaleposted 7 years ago

I would have thought that there is freedom of belief, as well as in other things in life.  Quite a number of people I know of, insist (very strongly) that I should follow their beliefs - to me, that becomes very un-democratic.  Everyone of us is entitled to make their choice.

4. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

One answer is that they honestly think they are being helpful.

More often, trying to coerce conformity is a desire for security.  A person who thinks as you do is "safe" - you can better predict their behavior and can more easily judge how well you can trust them.

Everything to do with conformity has fear at its roots.

5. Goodpal profile image91
    Goodpalposted 7 years ago

Every one is attached to his ideas and views -- this is the basic source of all conflicts. Let go of this stinginess and there is no problem.

6. DanielBing1 profile image74
    DanielBing1posted 7 years ago

Because those people are idiots. Differing viewpoints enrage and confuse people who are dead-set. This is why I don't trust most people who are absolutely certain of any issue that has obvious gray areas.

working