jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

If you knew you'd survive to be 105 years old, would you take more chances?

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 7 years ago

If you knew you'd survive to be 105 years old, would you take more chances?

I think I would. (Keep in mind, you've got to grant the premise, assuming this knowledge is guaranteed accurate somehow).

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I don't think I would...I'm not afraid of moderate risk now, and just knowing that I would live doesn't say anything about what kind of shape I'd be in when I hit the end. Even if I knew when my life would end, it would be up to me whether I'm a spry 105 who suddenly drops dead from a massive stroke without any previous warning, or whether I'm on life support and bed-ridden first.

3. EatLovePray profile image54
    EatLovePrayposted 7 years ago

Well, the best way to live life is to not have any expectations from it whatsoever. No one can predict the future, it is all assumptions. Thus, I'd live each day to the the fullest, but I wouldn't take more chance just because I assume I'm going to live 105 years. You never know what tomorrow brings.

4. dashingscorpio profile image85
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

It would depend if I were going to be healthy and independent.
    Spending the last 15 to 20 years in a nursing home waiting for someone to feed you or change your dirty diaper would not be considered "living" to me. It would however be as you asked in your question "surviving".

Having said that I do wish I'd taken more risks in my 20s.
    There was a lot more time to recover financially in the event your ideas didn't take you where you wanted to go.
    I'm not sure I'd take too many life time gambles if I were in my 60s and beyond regardless of how long I may live. Financially speaking if you lost it all there aren't many companies that would hire you.
    Physical risks after a certain age wear the body down and the recovery time is much longer.
    I think I'd do as I have planned to do.
    Live life to the fullest and travel the world as much as possible

5. Road Trip Amy profile image60
    Road Trip Amyposted 7 years ago

Definitely.  I'd be scheduling a hang-gliding trip over the Grand Canyon and making a skydiving appointment right now if I knew I'd be around that long.  I don't think I'm overly timid about life right now, but knowing that I'd survive to 105 would certainly make me more likely to try bigger, riskier stuff.

6. beverleejb profile image60
    beverleejbposted 7 years ago

More chances? not really
    But if they were safe I might

7. profile image0
    oldbookloverposted 7 years ago

Yes. In my youth and later.
    The big question is whether I would sustain injuries.
    I know that good quality of life is possible in old age if you are able to keep fit. I think that having had lots of varied experiences when you are young must help you keep your mental edge in later years. Oldies need this to fight off the do-gooders.

8. Ruchira profile image77
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

I think it does not matter for how long we live....It matters how we live in whatever life we get on this planet.

If I knew I would live to be 105 years old...the chances/risks I would take in my life would be the same IF I had known that I have a short life. Life is meant to be lived everyday...that is my mantra smile

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 7 years ago

Not really. I would want to live all 105 years in good health. You could become a vegetable at 80 and live 25 worthless years.

10. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

that's so hard to say. i enjoy my life as it is so i doubt i'd take any more serious chances. plus what kind of shape would a person be in at 105. i see to many seniors who are barely living at 90 so personally i'd rather just die when i get old.

11. EdG. profile image61
    EdG.posted 7 years ago

Living to be 105 might actually be a deterrent to taking chances. If you are aware that you'll be living with the mistakes you make for a very, very long time you might be more likely to play it safe.

If we're speaking on taking physically life threatening risks with the assurance of safety then that's a different story.

12. brightforyou profile image83
    brightforyouposted 7 years ago

Yes, I would, especially if the majority of my later years were spent fit and healthy.  I'd probably go out and skydive and face my fear of heights, write the novel I've been putting off for years and set small and long-term goals.  (just hope my pensions and social security will last that long)!

13. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 7 years ago

First I want good health for the entire 105 years. Pray god, hard work, good diet plan may perhaps allow to live more than 100 years.

working