jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you know what you know?

1. ptosis profile image80
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

How do you know what you know?

Each person will have a personal version of reality. Is perception reality? If so then a delusional person woul think correctly, "I'm right, the world is wrong." ... and what's considered "normal' is nothing more than the tyranny of the masses?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4358814_f260.jpg

2. dosters profile image84
    dostersposted 7 years ago

You can always go back to Descartes.  How do you know anything exists at all?  He came up with the now famous cogito ergo sum ( I think, therefore I am).

Regarding whether perception is reality, in many cases it is in that it is all we have to go on.

3. MoneyCreator24 profile image58
    MoneyCreator24posted 7 years ago

Good question. Philosophical question. Difficult to answer. How do I know that my answer is the answer?

4. Smaridge01 profile image77
    Smaridge01posted 7 years ago

It takes a second step of self-awareness, in my thinking, to go beyond realizing that you exist, to realizing that just because you think you know you exist, doesn't mean everything you think exists.

Oy, now my head hurts!

In many ways, if we want to function on some level, we have to accept that preception is our reality. If we can't accept that, then what have we got? On the other hand, I like to think that I really know somewhere between very little and nothing. Therefore, no matter how much I know, there are worlds and more out there.

My reality? It floats somewhere between "here I am, and this moment and this place are all I've got to work with" to something along the lines of "Horton Hears A Who".  Who  can say with certainty that we are not part of a galaxy in a universe that floats around in a dust bunny in the corner of a cottage, on a spec that is part of a galaxy in a universe.......

5. ptosis profile image80
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4361942_f260.jpg

All GREAT answers! I believe this is one of my better questions to be able to get such good posts!

Closed to reply

working