jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I was told....

1. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

I was told....

...that the ring,the party,the gifts,the outfits and the house is more important long lasting and celebrated than the marriage itself.

The way it is today I am incline to agree.But as in everything there are some marriages that do well.What is your view?

2. All_is_well profile image57
    All_is_wellposted 7 years ago

A marriage can only do well when both partners come out of their self obsessed world and acknowledge that fact that they as individuals and the marriage itself are 3 different entities and that the relationship itself is far more important than either of them, as the relationship has many bonds to it whereas as individuals, they have none.

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image79
    Zubair Ahmedposted 7 years ago

Sharing your life with someone else is hard these days, simply because many of us he become very selfish in lifestyle.  We are also as individuals in a society less likely to forgive and forget, which in my view are two crucial elements required in a relationship of that kind.  I think the marriages that do well are those which both parties respect and value each other, carry their own weight and practice forgive, forget and move on.

4. angela_michelle profile image98
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

Well, my ring is scratched up, many of my gifts have already found new homes including the circular cabinet, my dress hasn't been looked at in years, and though the party was awesome, has been long gone. But my husband and I have been married nearly ten years and we still as happy as the first day we met... actually happier. We had some bad years at the beginning of our relationship, but the marriage as a whole has been wonderful, and I do believe with all my heart we will ALWAYS be together.

Truthfully though, there are many people who go into a marriage not understanding the commitment they have agreed upon. In those cases, I guess the party and all that would be more important and longer lasting. But personally I find that all very sad. There is true joy in having the same person by your side everyday. Even if there are occasional squabbles.

5. Dr. Wendy profile image67
    Dr. Wendyposted 7 years ago

I've been married for 28 years, and I will be honest, it has often been a bumpy ride... but the rewards have been there too.  I don't wear the ring anymore (it is too little), I don't remember what the gifts were other than the dishes my parents bought me, we've lived in a couple houses, some nicer than others... but it is the marriage, and the family we have raised together that stands out.  Seven children and 12 grandchildren and counting... I am blessed.

6. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 7 years ago

love is all you need!!! The other stuff does help tho.