What is more important in a marriage - passion or stability?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 13 years ago

This is a long debate that I have been having with somebody I work with - I would be interested to hear your views!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

passion fades, stability will help you get to the bathroom when you start soiling yourself

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

stability.

3. profile image53
      diegowarddposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the link you posted is for a teeth whitening product....?

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you see things like that....hit report as SPAM and that will let HubPages Staff to know to remove it. smile

perhaps the person is trying to say that only when one has pure white teeth can one keep the passion in a relationship strong

1. profile image0
              Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Teeth whitening always give stability to your passion. it works like a charm! Just try it!
              Why, I say, why did they delete that??? Now somebody will miss the chance of strong relationship with stability and white teeth!

exactly!

That is why as part of my nighttime regiment, i apply toothpaste throughout the surface of my person.

It not only gives me a minty odor, it also helps protect my calf muscles from gingivitis

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
                  Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek One, do away with the gingivitis and remain with want?

4. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If there's passion, there will be stability! So passion definitely.

5. Ben Evans profile image65
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont think it is so cut and dried.  Just passion and just stability are small parts of a marriage.  You have to genuinely love the person and you have to be willing to work hard at making the relationship thrive.

I think passion and love are two different things.  Passion is want and love is willingness to give.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ben, I like your definitions. "Love is a doing thing."

1. Ben Evans profile image65
          Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, thank you Earnest.

I beleive good marriage is a commitment.

6. profile image0
      Bechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is my opinion that passion and stability must go together.  You both are right.  Passion isn't just sex, it is sensuality.  When you get old and tired sex doesn't always exist.  However you can always be romantic, passionate, conversations with your oatmeal.  You also will always want to know that your partner will be there forever.  That is trust.  Got to have the trust to make a relationship work.  No trust no commitment.  So make a toast and let the debate be over, you both win.  It is a great conversation for a night out.

7. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

passion between a couple needs to be stable-so, both are important.In fact, stability supplement passion in the long run.

8. fireball* profile image60
      fireball*posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Passion and stability are both essentials when it comes to marriage.A stable marriage with out passion is like a flower made of plastic.It's beautiful to look at but there is no fragrance.

1. Nera Woods profile image82
        Nera Woodsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i liked how you said it, fireball. Even if we're at a mature age now, we try to kindle the passion every now and then....

2. profile image58
    Saving Someoneposted 13 years ago

As shocking as it may sound, the advice my mother gave me was marry for money love fades, I married for love we struggle(a lot)
    but at this point in my life I feel I made the right decision.

3. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

The lust and passion you have in the first stages of a relationship does change as time goes on, for most people I believe. However, that doesn't mean it should disappear, it is just different, not so intense. Stability is very important in a long term relationship.

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

passion does change.. it turns into the warm confort of familar disappointment

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I recently met a couple who have been married over forty years who still display loads of passion for each other - weirdest pair I have ever met !

2. profile image0

yup.
      predictability.
      yay, I knew you wouldnt come home today....

5. Polly C profile image90

Of course there still has to be love, otherwise what's the point.....actually I think the  passion grows into a deeper kind of love (not disappointment, Greek One!!)

1. profile image0
      sarahsherlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But do you think if the passion's gone that marrying for stability is accepting second best?

1. Polly C profile image90
        Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't mean that the passion has gone away completely, just that the lust you have at the beginning when you are all over each other and don't care about anything else...that changes usually I think. I have been in the same relationship for 17 years, and I can say that it is totally different now than it was at the beginning. For one thing we have children and that is a definite passion killer, believe me! But that doesn't mean that the love has gone.

If the passion has gone completely I would think that is a problem, and if there is no love then marrying for stability doesn't seem like a good idea.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if there's no stability, there's little chance the marriage will last. I would rather have both, but passion fades and blooms like a season, stability is the freedom to be who you are and grow together. passion can end up being selfish and the relationship fizzles.

2. Greek One profile image63

yes, that deeper kind of love.. the type that gets into your bones and your very being as you age together... that is called "Arthritis" tongue

Haha, Oh Cynical One! And I do not have arthritis..not yet, anyway, I'll let you know if I become inflicted and you can record it as one of the perils of long term relationships...

6. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

If my marriage is any indicator...the obvious answer would be Stability!

(my ex-mother-in-law kept telling me her son - my ex - was VERY passionate about everything he did!)

7. Polly C profile image90

The most important thing is love....whether you love someone enough to want to be together and work through things when there is a problem, as there inevitably will be sometimes..

8. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Why can't you have passion and stability?  Or is that expecting the moon on a stick?

You can and you should have both, but those crazy, passionate early days do tend to calm down a bit, that's all I meant.

2. Greek One profile image63

oddly enough, when i was single, my favorite come on line was "Can I put my stick in your moon?"

(that's how I got the nic name "Greek One")

smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i just found out what greek bends mean...greek bends mean gay

You mean happy?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
            Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If "gay" meant "happiness", is Sab Oh happy?

9. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

Passion does calm down a bit in a marriage but the main things to any marriage or relationship are honesty, love and trust with these passion and stability stem from. No relationship can survive without them as they are all very important lol smile

10. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Well it is advisable to be stable whilst administering passion, cos if you aren't stable you could fall off and damage your willy or god knows what!

1. profile image0

lol

11. Joni Douglas profile image81
    Joni Douglasposted 13 years ago

Are those the only choices?

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i think like life, relationships go through various changes and stages.  Stability is good of course, but the passion needs to be revived from time to time - part of the relationship equation is the sexual intimacy.  Passion in the beginning is 'a given'.  Passion can be defined a few ways, such as a passion for life, various interests developed or initiated over time as we grow.  I think some marriages don't make it (sometimes) because it grows stale and one person may seek more out of life and if they can pull it off - bring their partner with them for the ride.  People who stay together for years can also be faced with getting to know each other again when the children are gone - I think this can be a tricky time of life.  I've listened to retired people (some people retire early these days) speak about how their partner does not have much in common with them and they may have another 20 years or more together - so reviving that passion (in many ways) is pretty important I think.  And knowing how to do it is the trick and when to do it. Most of us just want to be happy and live life to the fullest (however that is defined by each of us) and if we are doing that with our partner, well that's even better.  my 2 cents again....

1. profile image0

That's a very mature view and I think you are right. Relationships do shift and change over time. The unfortunate thing about the situation I am thinking of is that the passion has gone but the wedding is looming. I had some similar doubts and worries before my own wedding but I'm struggling to advise on whether it would be right to go through with it under these circumtances. I'm not sure I would!

not enough info to respond.  passion is gone. about to get married?  with the wedding looming that alone should kick start some passion for life - new life to begin together, intimacy, closeness?  are they friends, length of relationship?...etc...

and....sometimes it's better to just let the cards fall where they will.  she may not be ready to hear your words - you kno that 'timing' thing.  Timing it seems to always get in the way. smile

13. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

when in doubt don't. it's not about the groom. it's about you.

14. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Marry for money... passion fades, stability gets boring. 

However, if money is not an option, given a choice, I would take passion over stability any day of the week.  What is life without passion?  I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life in boring stability.  Might as well join a convent.

15. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

All relationships need passion running through them, but a stable relationship will help it to last longer than a tempestuous one. When you have been married for a period of time passion seems to go out the door, what with children, after school activities, cooking and looking after the home takes its toll on a relationship. It appears that you have lost touch with each other but in reality the passion is still there waiting to re-emerge again if you still love each other. Many marriages re kindle their passion for each other after the kids have left home. I know this is true.My wife and I never ever mention stability to each other but passion or our passion for each other is there most days.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aw that is lovely, you should go away for a romantic weekend together,

16. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 13 years ago

In my eyes it's sort of hard to have one without the other, such as with hot and cold. smile

1. profile image0

I guess 'warm' has to be possible!

17. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

stability first,then a close second passion.

18. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Sarah. Passion changes through the years. Eventually it becomes stronger and deeper than it ever could have been earlier on.

Yer friend doesn't have to decide between love and stability, she has to decide if a) she loves him, and b) she wants to go where he's going, either cuz that's where she was going anyway or because she loves him enough to make it worth it and c) she wants to spend the remainder of her life with him.

We can love a wide range of people. It's easy to love. However, it ain't so easy to live with 24/7/365/forever.

19. magdafloasiu profile image56
    magdafloasiuposted 13 years ago

It is true: passion fades, it goes away little by little, year after year. suddenly you realise that your husband is just your partner. but if there was once love, you will find in your husband a great partner, friend and you will be supporting each other. this kind of marriage will never end. it is naturally transforming two people once in love in two people respecting each other, walking hand in hand on the same road.
    beside this, if there is only love for money, than you will realise some day that you have no partner, not being supported by anyone and walking alone on a dusty road. it is a sad story, but this is the real life. to win something you have to choose what you are going to lose.

20. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

How about: trust, communication, respect for each other, giving space, etc. IMHO, these are far more important!

21. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Have it both and make it last!

22. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I think stability fuels passion. Mix the two together and you have a successful relationship.

23. profile image0

Well, she's gone for stability rather than passion I didn't expect but I guess security lasts longer!

24. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

You need respect and honesty. The rest is useless without those other two.

1. profile image0

You're absolutely right but can any relationship survive without passion?

1. profile image0

sure it can. like, ANY relaitonshop. As far as lovers go, I do think it can survive without passion. It depends on the individuals how important it is.  but I dont think passion can survive without trust.

25. stevewong profile image59
    stevewongposted 13 years ago

Here is an excerpt on passion from my favorite craiglist article.  Here is an excerpt, and it is written by a gentle who is mourning his love:

This was supposed to happen when we are old and gray. Its not fair that there are couples out there that don't even want to be together and they take their time for granted. I loved you every day and I dedicated everything I am to living an incredible life with you. It is not f--king fair.

I miss you. Everything I am, every thing I have, the world as I see it, has the memory of you in it. I cant believe that life has decided to �punish� me, for loving someone so much that I actually did what I said I was going to do, by making me live our dreams with out you. I guess it really is true that you cant have everything, because for a little while there, We truly had everything we needed and wanted.

This article has brought me to tears.  You can read the entire article here:
    This was supposed to happen when we are old and gray. Its not fair that there are couples out there that don�t even want to be together and they take their time for granted. I loved you every day and I dedicated everything I am to living an incredible life with you. It is not fucking fair.

I miss you. Everything I am, every thing I have, the world as I see it, has the memory of you in it. I cant believe that life has decided to �punish� me, for loving someone so much that I actually did what I said I was going to do, by making me live our dreams with out you. I guess it really is true that you cant have everything, because for a little while there, We truly had everything we needed and wanted.

If you go to google and type the following phrase, you will fine the article

craigslist i miss you i love you

26. profile image0

She chose stability! Fingers crossed that the passion can be re-ignited!

27. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Stability only works for long term dreamers of love , most can't handle the weeks  beyond lust  and passion, Thats when so many lose the chance for real love........

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)