jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you put what you want, above what you need?

1. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

Do you put what you want, above what you need?

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 7 years ago

Rarely.  I wouldn't be human if I didn't stumble sometimes.  At this stage in my life it is much easier to get the wants and the needs.  When I was raising children their needs always came first.  There were struggles cause money was  often very tight but we always seems to have what we needed and there was a lot of love and faith.

3. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 7 years ago

I use to be able to have both.  Now, after my layoff,  "needs" always take precedence over "wants".  In fact, few "wants" are considered at this time. I don't use a credit card and if it's not in my checking account, it won't happen.  It's not a hardship, however, as I have been operating this way for quite a few years.  I do not want to get into a situation through an emergency of any kind where I cannot afford medical care or maintenance for my car.  It would be very shortsighted to allow an extraneous item make having a necessity out of reach.

4. callumevans profile image60
    callumevansposted 7 years ago

I think people want what they need, or at least I do. I can't think of an example of where I've chosen to buy something I wanted over something I needed (at least knowingly).

That said, I am quite bad at prioritising my shopping lists!

5. Dr. Wendy profile image67
    Dr. Wendyposted 7 years ago

I put what I believe is best for my children and our family as a whole above both my personal wants and needs.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

On rare occasion but I have reached the age where it gives me pleasure to have what I need and I don't want a lot of "things."

7. profile image0
    lovazaposted 7 years ago

I think we have a tendency to do the things we want, however, in order to survive, we need to do the things we "need" like paying our bills,  going to work to get paid, maintaining our vehicles, cooking meals for our families, and obligations.   We want to do is only measured by the amount of time we have in a day for recreation, watching a movie, going out with friends, and it's a good idea to have some wants and needs each day, make it both a balance.  It's like when a man works all day and has no play, makes him feel discontent.

8. cobrien profile image75
    cobrienposted 7 years ago

I learned the hard way that pay-per-view doesn't work well without electric.