Do you think it's wrong to force your beliefs on your children?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. TMApsey profile image78
    TMApseyposted 13 years ago

Do you think it's wrong to force your beliefs on your children?

2. Sunny2o0o profile image60
    Sunny2o0oposted 13 years ago

Part of raising children is indoctrinating them with the behaviors and beliefs that are necessary for them to become functioning members of society.  There is no such thing as a value-neutral education.  So no, I would not argue that it is wrong to teach your beliefs to your children.  I would, however, argue that it is wrong to force your beliefs on your children, or to raise them in such a way that they become incapable of thinking for themselves.  No on has the right to compel others to believe as (s)he does, and I don't care what the relationship between the people in question might be.

3. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 13 years ago

Well, that depends on what you consider beliefs. I personally think that it is wrong to force religious beliefs on children.

4. Elizabethvano profile image60
    Elizabethvanoposted 13 years ago

I would bet that many people would say that forcing beliefs on your children is wrong, simply because of the wording. Forcing is such a harsh word and it’s often interpreted as implying no choice.  If that’s what you’re asking (which is how I'm going to interpet it), whether it is religious beliefs or political, I would have to say yes, it’s wrong to force your beliefs on your children.

5. SilentReed profile image80
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

I would have to disagree with the use of the word "force". Parents love their children and it is out of this love that they pass on to them the teachings and attitudes they believe they will need in order to survive and be a part of society.Beliefs and religion plays an important role. I would rather they acquire the capacity to be tolerant and have respect for the beliefs of other people.

6. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 13 years ago

It depends on what you mean by "beliefs".  I hope to teach my children how to think independently and provide them with the necessary tools to be able to make good life decisions.

If by beliefs, you mean religious beliefs, I do think it is wrong to force them.  I think it's fine to share your religious beliefs with your children as long as you expose them to all forms of religions an explain to them how you arrived at your belief system.

I still remember my mother dragging me to church every Sunday and that made me dislike religion at a very impressionable time in my life.  I was only exposed to one belief system and it took me a while to figure things out on my own.

7. dan-1 profile image63
    dan-1posted 13 years ago

I strongly oppose forcing any kind of religious, political or social beliefs other than good morals on children.
    It is wrong to force all of your beliefs on your children but not to teach your beliefs to them. Being a good parent encompases a wide range of things such as: being a teacher, a friend, an authority figure, a source of inspiration and an example to follow. With that said, there is a fine line between teaching your children about your beliefs and forcing those beliefs on them.
    When it comes down to it I don't feel it is wrong to force good moral values on your children but this is the only belief I would ever be able to justify forcing on a child.

8. Heymichelle profile image58
    Heymichelleposted 13 years ago

My parents forced me to be catholic, or at least raised me that way and then they gave me the option to choose for myself once I was old enough. For a while I went between being agnostic or Christian.

If you don't teach them something about religion, or your religion then they won't have a background for it. Religion provides a good basis for morals and values. Plus it involves a lot of history to teach, which only enriches a child's education.

I say it's fine, and I'm still a child so I hope my opinion accounts for something.

9. IntimatEvolution profile image74
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

This is an amazing question.  I wish you had posted it in the forums to be debated.  But anyhow, this is an individual preference type of question.  There are no right answers or wrong answers. Only personal experience...

As for myself, I can only tell how I went about it with my son.  I am a Christian.  For the first 12 years of my son's life I raised him in my faith.  He has been baptized and he has participated in countless church activities from singing in the children's choir to bible school.  When he was 12, he had a long talk with me and told me he didn't believe in it.  That it just didn't "work" for him.  You know, it took lot of guts for him to do that.  I am deeply in love with Jesus and my religion.  He isn't.  Years have gone by now and Zach still doesn't believe.  He is a very scientific, logical kid.  Belief in the supernatural does not interest him. 

I find that it is more challenging as a parent to teach my son the importance of living right without the air of religion being influential in my life lessons for him.  The best I can do is to teach my son to be respectful of all kinds of religions, people and ideas.  To be compassionate towards his fellow mankind and to spread joy whenever he can.  So far, he has done extremely well and I very proud of my self-proclaimed atheist son.  Thank you for this great question!

10. danielleantosz profile image70
    danielleantoszposted 13 years ago

To force them on your children? Yes.  However, raising children is about teaching them right from wrong in the way that you see fit.  I do think parents should also teach their children to think for themselves.

11. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 13 years ago

I think your operative word is force.... and yes I believe it is wrong to "force" your beliefs on anyone.  Children, however, just being part of a family structure pick up on our beliefs...in most homes it's not forced....it just happens.

12. tamarindcandy profile image59
    tamarindcandyposted 13 years ago

Depends on the belief, I suppose. Religion? Put that away. Beliefs in certain things like "gay people are fine and gay marriages are perfectly all right"? Yes: kids should be taught acceptance from a young age.

13. edhan profile image35
    edhanposted 13 years ago

It is the moral we are teaching our kids. No need to force them to have what we believe in but instead explaining to them about your belief and allowing them to accept for themselves.

But it is more important to teach them about moral issue.

14. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

Belief is the individuals choice, it can not be forced from one person to another.
    You can teach children what is right and what is wrong, such as to be kind and helpful is good but murder and theft are wrong, these are fact. But a belief in a God, or aliens, or ghosts for example are concepts that are build by each child/person individually.

15. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years ago

Force is the wrong word, children believe everything, so from my experience, My children were raised without a drunk for a father or a smoker or drug addicts for parents, we did sport and live a healthy life. My children are now adults and continue to seek those qualities in life. Yes it is important to teach your children who Created everything..."Jesus Christ" and follow his teachers all found only in the KJV bible....

16. thomasczech profile image37
    thomasczechposted 13 years ago

It depends on the interpretation of "force". It is the parents duty to raise up his/her child(ren) properly and to become good citizen s of their community. A parent or parents have their beliefs, so of-course they will pass those beliefs on to their children. it is right and it is expected. Other families may have different beliefs from your own but that does not mean they are wrong, just different. And it is their duty to pass those on to their children. It is also important while doing this, to raise the children to think for ones self, so when they become adults, they will be leaders and not followers and raise their children the way they see fit.

17. catydid52 profile image61
    catydid52posted 13 years ago

I was one who was brought up with forced religion and was forced to not participate in sports,movies,plays,dances because they were against my 'religion'. The bible does say to train up a child in the way that he should go, but it doesn't say force it on them.  If you believe in prayer, then pray that after a child has been taught right from wrong, and God's principles for daily living that child will come to accept God in their life according to the love that God has for them. Children respond to love, adults respond to love, not because it is forced on them, but because we have free will to love, accept or reject God.

18. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

It depends upon whether your beliefs coincide with society or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)