jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Are you a true christian if you don't go to church but follow christian traditio

1. richbrayan profile image73
    richbrayanposted 6 years ago

Are you a true christian if you don't go to church but follow christian traditions?

or are you a true Muslim if don't pray 5 times daily?

2. davenmidtown profile image90
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Nobody but yourself can answer that question... sadly I think the meaning of being a true christian has been lost by mainstream Christianity through marketing and the quest for more money. Your relationship with God is personal and as such it is between just you and him. If you live your life as a Christian... then most likely you are a true christian...

3. preacher2003 profile image60
    preacher2003posted 6 years ago

I would say yes, with a string attached!

Church cannot save you, hymns cannot save you, sacraments hold no salvation, praying cannot save you, fasting cannot save you and so on -

Works can save no one - CHURCH is within each Christian and is not a building or some ceremony or tradition.

John 3:16, John 10:9, John 14:6, Romans 10:9-13

this is a great place to start and then by faith IN JESUS CHRIST on a daily basis - by putting our complete faith in Him and what He did at the cross - that is living as a Christian - asking for God to allow the Holy Spirit to guide you as you live, work, walk, read, play, sleep, eat and etc -

life changes, we are no longer who we once were - the poor habits leave us, the foul mouth, the immoral thoughts - - some things may go all at once, some may take a while, but daily as faith is evidenced in JESUS CHRIST  YOU ARE A TRUE CHRISTIAN - church or not.... provided your faith, as stated, is in JESUS CHRIST!

4. Mary Stuart profile image80
    Mary Stuartposted 6 years ago

Only you can answer that question. I do think that the church is very important. Not perfect, that goes without saying. As soon as a person joins anything then it is instantly flawed. Still, churches can make great communities for mutual support and meaningful relationships.

5. Sky9106 profile image75
    Sky9106posted 6 years ago

Thank  you for that question brother richbrayan .
    The truthful understanding from deep inside of every man,  of what is his purpose will basically always lead up to an unselfish understanding of yourself and God.

You can go to church , but your reasons are anything but the way of the Most High and you can be at home and truly a devoted follower of the Most High.
    Christianity I believe is more of a fellowship within ones self and his truthful and sincere fellowship with God, as we saw Jesus kept moving, while doing Gods work.  , Though one may enjoy going to church, the truth remains with you.
    To thyne own self be true.

Give thanks.

6. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 6 years ago

Going to church doesn't make anyone a christian. It's a place for corporate worship. True Christianity is a lifestyle notable by making Jesus Christ ruler over our lives. And the Bible tells us what is Christ like and what's not in order to claim we are Christians or not. It's not tradition or rituals.

7. always exploring profile image84
    always exploringposted 5 years ago

I don't attend any church, yet i am a firm believer in God. There is too much division in the churches. Follow your heart...

8. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

The only thing that determines whether you are a "true Christian" is whether you believe in your heart that Jesus was raised from the dead and accept Him as the Lord and Savior of your life.

It does not matter if you go to church or follow Christian "traditions." What matters is what is in your heart and who is the Lord of your life. If Christ is your Lord and Savior you will behave differently, but works do not save us from eternal damnation nor make us a "Christian."

On the other hand, if a Muslim doesn't pray 5 times daily, I think that is probably frowned on because theirs is a religion of works. They believe in earning their way to paradise. Unfortunately some of the ways they think they will earn it is totally opposite to the Christian faith.

Only those who do not accept the free gift of salvation will be judged by God; "true" Christians, that is, followers of Christ will be rewarded, based on their works, but not judged because Jesus paid the price for their sins and gave them full pardon. He will be their mediator in heaven when they stand before a totally just God.

working