Is there such a thing as a random event or does everything have a cause?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Is there such a thing as a random event or does everything have a cause?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image57
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Very interesting question. Coming from a background in statistics, I have thought about the idea of randomness quite a bit. Is it a man-made concept? Something interesting to ponder.

I guess my first reaction to this question is that I believe in a single, omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient God so I would say nothing is random. However, who's to say that God didn't design some things to be random? I'm not sure and will have to think about this.

Is mutation random, for example? Was mutation in the original design, or is it a result of "the fall?"

And if God is omniscient, then is anything truly random?

As a believer, I can say that not everything has a cause, because God did not have a cause, but after that, I don't know - I suppose everything or most everything has a cause. Thanks for this thought-provoking question!

3. FlowOfThought profile image60
    FlowOfThoughtposted 6 years ago

Well everything has a cause, however if you mean, does everything have meaning, then I think, that assuming I accepted that there was fate, or god, or any of that, then I would assume that some things have meaning, and if there was an overall plan, then certain larger events would be planned, and some smaller yet formative events, but, I don't think every little detail would be planned out. I mean, I wouldn't think that the decision on my breakfast everyday of my life had some significant meaning.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I believe in cause and effect.

Every action we take will have an effect later on. So, it is what we had done before will end up with a consequence. It depends on your spiritual level of understanding as when you are in higher spiritual level, everything you do and say will result in a quicker result of response.

Example that in your mind you are saying something bad about a person, the next minute you find yourself tripping down. This result as an effect of what you have done mentally.

5. NatalieSack profile image60
    NatalieSackposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on your perspective.  If you look for connections and causes among events, you will find them.  If, however, you are driven less by logic and more by the esoteric, you more likely to interpret events as miracles and fate.

So I think a single event can be both random and causal, kind of like the famous Schrodinger's cat theory.

6. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 6 years ago

In order for something to be TOTALLY random there could/must be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that could have brought about that event....   So, I think there is NO EVENT, EVER, that can be totally random....  HOWEVER,....

I think the nature of this query is really:   For every event that happens, is it possible that some (events) have such vague and detached causes that it's all but impossible to find a tie between the cause and that event?

For example,  if I pay my bill at the grocery store.... the "cause" (my taking and expecting to pay for groceries) is easily identified. 

IF my home is destroyed by a fire, it MIGHT be that an electrical short sparked that fire, OR an arsonist might have thrown a Molotov cocktail at my house to start that fire....  IS the former "random"... and the latter not?   

Then, reviewing the former, we might find that an electrician changed or added an electrical box for me... and did so incorrectly, leaving the wire loose,.... such that an arc occurred.... and could have - predictably - been the "cause" of the fire.

Was the event of the wire being loosely installed "random"??????  You MIGHT make a case for "randomness" if you learned that the electrician rolled a pair of dice before he made up every electrical connection he made.... and when the dice totally, say, 8, he made up THAT connection loosely.... and made up all other connections tightly (correctly)....

Random is a very obscure concept.....

7. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

"In the designs of Providence there are no mere coincidences."  (Pope John Paul)

8. profile image54
    wayne92587posted 6 years ago

What was on the Mind of God prior to the Moment of Creation, the Creation of the Reality of First Cause, the Creation of the Universe, of the Reality of Everything?

Not a DamnThing, Nothing was on the Mind of God other than the Creation, the Random Generation of the Reality of First Cause.

The Reality of First Cause, having been Randomly Generated, was a Creation.

Being an Original Product of the Mind of God, The Reality of First Cause although being an Effect born of a Affect, the Mind of God, was born of the Alchemically Transfiguration of a Singularity having no Relative, Numerical, material, value; the Reality of First Cause, being a mutation, a Transmutation.

The Reality of First Cause being an Effect born of an Affect being the First Singularity to have, relative, Material, value, a Numerical value of One.

Made manifest having Material Value, the Reality of First Cause, an Effect born of an Affect, rather than having a direct material cause, being a Transmutation, ushered in the Relativity of Time and Space, Space-Time,  the Reality of First Cause, originally being no more that an product of the Mind of God, having been Alchemically Transfigured, being a Transmutation, was made Manifest a Singularity having a Numerical Value of One, was made manifest the Reality of First Cause, an effect made manifest the First, the  beginning of the Four-Dimensional Continuum.

The Reality of First Cause being an Effect, being the First Singularity
    to have an Effect, being a Causeless Cause,  being the Reality of First Cause.

Being an original product of the mind of God, Cause a;nd Effect is not the Source, the Origin the Cause of The Reality of First Cause, The Reality of First Cause having no direct material cause.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)