Is man's appearance on earth just a random event, a happenstance conlgomeration

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image62
    A.Villarasaposted 10 years ago

Is man's appearance on earth just a random event, a happenstance conlgomeration of atoms/molecules?

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

No. Mankind is the result of the direct creation of God (See Genesis 1-2). Human logic and reasoning support the Biblical account of creation. God has given us a conscience to realize that we are answerable to Him. Evolution (random event, happenstance) is mankind's attempt to be free from accountability to our Creator.

A.Villarasaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Paleontological/anthropological  evidence strongly suggest that humans  were created not in one clean swoop but through an evolutionary process. Does it really matter much if  biblical Creation must and should be interpreted metaphorically?

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

That's a bit like the old reference that if a chimpanzee was to bang its hands long enough on the keys of a grand piano it would eventually play a piece of music by Mozart!    Either everything is chaos or it is its exact opposite, i.e. subject to a Perfect Plan beyond the ability of human minds to comprehend.   We perhaps have uncovered a small corner of it which we call Evolution.

As we humans are NOT our minds but the possessors or owners of them - to a great or lesser degree - then what are we?   It has been postulated, and I don't see it as unreasonable, that WE are not only the Observers but the Creators of what we see, hear, feel, touch and taste, not as individuals but as a Collective Human Consciousness (and part of a limitless Whole) that creates its own world or worlds.

For those who refer to the Bible as their source of The Truth, doesn't it say somewhere that God is omni-present, omni-scient EVERYWHERE!   And being everywhere must be in everything including all people.   Perhaps it is the God-part of us which is creating what some might think of as 'a random event, a happenstance conglommeration of atoms and molecules.'

Perhaps it is even our personal and collective inquisitiveness to ask such questions is also a part of that Great Plan.   I'm sure we all have our own philosophies.

There used to be a time when philosophy was all humans need to inform them of the nature of the universe. In our age, science has become dominant. Philosophy and Science should  supplement and complement each other....to their mutual benefit.

2. Daniel 120plus profile image60
      Daniel 120plusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is worthy of note that great scientists past and present had or have a profound faith in God, many of them were or are christians

3. A.Villarasa profile image62

@Daniel----The atheistic view of course is that human's appearance have no more meaning or purpose than the appearance of  any other animate entities that have appeared, continues to appear and will appear on earth.

4. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Now here is a question that can never be answered with any kind of certainty.  Everyone has an opinion, but there is no empirical  proof to validate any of them.  We can speculate all we want, but this question will never be answered with anything other than speculations, opinions, or blind faith in some religious teachings.
    If we used logic and science we can be sure that modern day man has evolved from a lower primate, that evolved from the sea.
    If we use logic to justify our religious beliefs then we would have to speculate that whoever  (or whatever) created the complexities of life (the combining of DNA/RNA molecules leading to the genetics that evolved into all there is) we would have to conclude that the "seeds of life" were planted everywhere in our galaxy and everything evolved from there.

1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
      Darrell Robertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you D.Williams, it is very difficult to answer such a question with certainty considering how limited human knowledge is compared to the universe or even the planet.

2. Daniel 120plus profile image60
      Daniel 120plusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

there is proof that genetic evolution exists but there is no conclusive proof that man evolved from apes

5. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

Essentially, yes - random and inevitable, as all of the combinations, permutations, and even sequences of past and future were (and are still and infinitely) equally possible. 

I, for one, hold hope that quantum theory and relativity (both general and special) are NOT mutually exclusive!

The randomness of quantum mechanics seem irreconcilabe with general relativity, leading Einstein to posit: God does not play dice with the universe.

2. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Current science indicates that both are valid and demonstrably operating, and that they are absolutely logically incompatible. This leaves us with reality that can only be explained by an as-yet-undefined meta-model that embraces both.

3. stanwshura profile image70
      stanwshuraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah, so, A. Villarasa, you have read Hawking as well!  The operative word in your response therefore, as you must already know, is *seem*.  Hawking is on his way to bettering the work of Einstein, of that I am sure.

6. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 10 years ago

It is like asking the egg question - which comes first.

I do personally believe there is a Creator where all things begin. It may not be easy to answer or understand as we will never be able to identify or find evidence of such beginning.

Now we know that babies are created from sperm and egg.

7. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8048587_f260.jpg

I have no idea; however, I sure can offer my significantly limited opinion. I believe evolution is a significant tool used by "God" to influence His world. Now some will see evolution as a separate and independent event without God. I believe otherwise. Keep in mind He has other tools to use (i.e. significant climate change and perhaps He could even borrow from Big Al's theory on G. W.).
    I think if we look closely at evolution we will indeed see His fingerprint. What has made us (humans) so dominant? Is it our senses? I think not, they have been dulled! Is it our ability to walk upright? I think not. I believe it is our 1 organ, a rather wrinkled walnut, termed our brain that has evolved (i.e. you can see the part of our brain that resembles the lizard brain). Just think, over a billion neurons are in it. It is like a galaxy in our skull! Since our complete and significantly complexed genetic code is within us at conception I consider this significantly improbable to be happenstance. Can you imagine, if He indeed had the foresite/wisdom to influence everything how brilliant it would be to create a perfect role model and infuse everyone with Him via our Sacraments...
    Someone (in my opinion God) is significantly in our court to support us and make us as we are. Now if we deny Him and try to avoid Him and try to limit Him; I think it will be significantly rough for us to survive. Not because of any retribution; however, directly because we need Him to survive. It is a unforgiving universe...

It is the human brain that separate us  from the rest of the animate entities on earth. Whereas these other entities live and survive solely via their instinctual wits, we additionally  live and survive via our  intuitive and creative skills.

8. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I would suggest that each person must answer that question for himself or herself. Or, following the ancient Buddhist teachings, not worry about it.

The answer to this question establishes the framework within which we live. A monotheistic believer in a Creator God who made man in his image (Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, for instance) will answer one way. A pagan might have a different answer, or a similar one, but cast in the feminine. An atheist another, a scientist another, a Hindu another.

An agnostic would be honest about not knowing the answer.

A follower of the original Buddha's teaching would see the question as a dangerous distraction from the work of bringing suffering to an end for himself or herself, and all of humanity.

What fascinates me is that which answer is chosen does not matter. For there are people who live lives that bring good into the world, and people who do great harm, and both are found believing every religion or philosophy.

Meaning is very important to leading a life that makes a better world. But it seems like it doesn't matter whether one decides that the meaning is already present, and then lives accordingly, or whether one decides that it is up to us to create beneficial meanings in life.

The former method is used by members of many religions. The second view is used by ancient Buddhists, agnostics, scientists, and existentialists who follow Viktor Frankl in Man's Search for Meaning.

So, search for meaning, or create meaning, it's up to you. But, please, live a meaningful and beneficial life.

One may chose whatever it is that one finds meaningful/purposeful in ones life; however, Homo Sapiens as a specie,  because of divine intervention, via evolutionary intersection, developed the cerebral capacity to intuit, and invest a higher purpose.

9. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 10 years ago

Dear A. Vallarasa,

Your question is a great question.  I will use logic rather than sentiment to answer to the best of my ability.  From practical observation there appears to be some kind of order in the universe, not just on our planet.  The stars, planets, moons and other heavenly bodies all have a relationship  that makes this type of existence possible. 

The molecules for example the cells in our body are not random, there are different types of cells and they carry out different functions.  The cells all have to work together and do their particular function or the body will develop some kind of illness and die sooner than expected.  This doe not seem random.

Life on this planet has intelligence, animals as well as humans are intelligent in their own way.  The living planet is also intelligent and send different natural events to protect itself. 

I know that imagining a force or a being that is so powerful that it could create such wonders as the universe and the human body is near inconceivable, however, it is more logical to conclude that intelligence should come from intelligence rather than some random act of molecules colliding.

The example i use is great author who in his mind is able to create stories like the Lord of the Ring series, or Star Wars, or . All the details and level of thinking that requires is simply amazing!

MAn could have been created by a different species of life that is more intelligent and planet on the planet for all we know.  The bottom line is intelligence should come from intelligence not some random act.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes.

Dhira Krishna das

Quantum physics says  that subatomic particles act randomly, something that Einstein had difficulty  accepting when he said: "God does not play dice with the universe", implying that randomness is essentially the same as throwing a dice.

10. Daniel 120plus profile image60
    Daniel 120plusposted 10 years ago

Believe the bible when it says God created man in his image (to represent him) and in his likeness (to look like him). What God created in his image is man's spirit while his body he formed from the dust. Your proof of the existence of the creator God is your spirit, man without God has a God-shaped void in his heart.
    Again, Man is the only one among earth-creatures that can talk this is
    because he can create like God, people bring about their lifes circumstances through their talking, this could not have happened by chance
    Again man is the only one among earth creatures that has profound intelligence of the similitude of God, how is it that no other animal is nearly as intelligent as man not even your dog

Of all the  created entities on earth only  Man was given the cerebral complexity and capacity  to be  reliable and truthful witness to the universe that God has created.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)