jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How many followers does a belief need to have to be classified as a religion?

1. AndyK26 profile image67
    AndyK26posted 6 years ago

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

I suppose a few families....................

3. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

I would say none. There are belief systems in antiquity no one today follows, yet we still call them religions. If that is so, then the range is from zero to billions.

4. ii3rittles profile image81
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

It takes only one to keep the belief going. There are religions out there about anything and everything, from worshiping stars to animals. Many people follow pagan religion with out even knowing it. Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, New Years Eve/Day... All are pagan holidays. It even states in the holy bible that we SHOULD NOT bring a tree in the home and decorate it with gold and silver as it symbolizes thanks and worship of the earth, not God. So why is Christmas traditions such as the tree considered catholic or even christian is beyond me.

Jeremiah 10:2 KJV Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3* For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4* They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

5. Hayley Richardson profile image80
    Hayley Richardsonposted 6 years ago

Here in England there are 390,000 followers of the Jedi religion (myself included) on the census but I don't think any of us are practicing, and I think that's what makes the difference if you're starting a religion today.  I don't think there should be a limit, everyone should be able to follow their own personal religion and believe in the God/Gods they choose.

6. TrahnTheMan profile image60
    TrahnTheManposted 6 years ago

I don't mean to be a pedant but I think this question contains a fallacy, namely that a religion is defined by a certain number of people following a belief. People may believe it's healthy to drain blood from their bodies using leeches, but that doesn't make it a religion.

7. MickeySr profile image82
    MickeySrposted 6 years ago

I count religion to be that approach to God wherein you trust in your obedience to a specific moral code, your practice of particular rituals, your membership or association with that (that moral code and those rituals) belief system, etc, to make you acceptable to God - religion is whatever man concocts in his own mind or through his culture that he imagines enables him to approach God . . . so whether it's the private notion of an individual or the cultural religion of generations, if it's a legal approach to God, as in if i do 'this' god will do 'that', that is a religion.

working