jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is there room for revenge in the heart and mind of a believer?

1. ananceleste profile image74
    anancelesteposted 5 years ago

Is there room for revenge in the heart and mind of a believer?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6585195_f260.jpg

2. wordsmith2418 profile image87
    wordsmith2418posted 5 years ago

There may be room, but revenge should not be in the heart of a believer. The desire for revenge blocks the ability to forgive. Christianity is all about forgiving. If the Lord didn't forgive us, we would be lost. So no matter what, we have to forgive any wrong done to us. If not, it stands in the way of us being able to pray to the Lord and have Him answer our prayers.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And God tells us, vengeance is His. "To me belongs vengeance, and recompense; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste." (Deuteronomy 32:35)

3. MilesArmbruster profile image60
    MilesArmbrusterposted 5 years ago

I am not sure what you mean by "believer" but I can answer this question if you mean a Christian. Yes, of course there is room for revenge, and hate, and unforgiveness, and deceit and gossip, and murder, and adultery. Christians aren't perfect, perfection is the destination. Ironically, the only people who have ever lied to my face have been leaders in the church. I knew one pastor who was the town gossip and because he had so much power, he could ruin people by revealing the inside info he knew; something he did regularly. Nobody can confront him because of fear - great pastor. The most vengeful person I ever met was a guy who spent all of his time making sure that he had the perfect "Christian" image to his perceived audience. All this really means is that Christians (or people who think that they are Christians) are capable of any and every sin out there, even the people who are the "best" Christians.
    Nevertheless, just because it is possible for a person to harbor revenge does not mean that revenge is acceptable. Anyone who knows the overwhelming forgiveness that God has given to them should forgive others.

4. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Absolutely!...but it's a waste of time and stomach acid!!  I've learned over 32 years that it's not worth the effort, so I just say, "Deal with him, Lord" and let it be.  I figure, why let some mean person run my life when I can move on to better things?

5. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

Hmmmm......the politically correct answer is no, but nothing that a man thinks or carries in his heart is surprising to God. He knows us INTIMATELY.

The Bible says, do not sin in your anger. So, while it's understandable to feel vengeful, it's another thing to act on it.

working