jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What does speaking in tongues mean and what is your personal view on it ?

1. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 5 years ago

What does speaking in tongues mean and what is your personal view on it ?

I do understand that many people have a different view in reference to this question. I would just like to hear what those views are.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7243393_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Speaking in tongues happened on the day of Pentecost in the Bible. The Holy Spirit entered each Disciple and allowed them to be able to speak any language of all the people that were there that day so they could spread the "Good News" of Jesus Christ. God wanted every ear to understand what the Disciples were preaching.

Some believe that speaking in tongues today is the Holy Spirit coming over them. This is not true. The Bible says not to speak in such a way without an interpreter. If God wanted something to be known that someone is speaking he would want it to be  understood. Therefore, Speaking in tongues today, According to the Bible, should not be done.

loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. I never understood the purpose of speaking an unknown tongue without interpretation.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Neither do I love?

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I went to a church off and on in college where some of the people in the congregation spoke in tongues whenever they got hyped up. It seemed less like a Christian service and more like a Celtic blood orgy. I remember reading about the apostles speaking in tongues in the Book of Acts and I had always taken from that that those apostles in the story were speaking actual languages in order to go out and evangelize to other countries. I think the people today who speak gibberish in Church are ordinary people during the week who use Sunday as a chance to get their wiggles out and their frustrations out about life. It makes them feel good and important, so we let them have it. Of course, if one believes the Gospels, Jesus would certainly not approve. In Matthew he explicitly tells his followers not to "babble like the pagans" when they pray.

loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Point taken, thanks

4. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

I believe it means speaking in a languages the person did not know. My view on it is when it happens it is a work on god, but I do not believe it happens as often as some church make it seem.I also do not believe  it is jibber or something made up to be called a tongue.

5. Michael Tully profile image60
    Michael Tullyposted 5 years ago

Speaking in tongues can have two distinct, but related, meanings. The first would be someone who is empowered by the Holy Spirit to speak in a recognizable foreign language in which the speaker has not previously been fluent. The second meaning would be someone who utters sounds not recognizable as a known foreign language, which is referred to by the term "glossolalia" and often described as babbling or gibberish.

I personally believe that the speaking in tongues on the day of Pentecost as described in the second chapter of the book of Acts was in the first category. Speaking in tongues as discussed by St. Paul in the first book of Corinthians, and elsewhere, may have fallen into the second category, but this is not entirely clear to me.

I also am a "cessationist," which means I believe that the "gift of tongues" ceased along with the passing of the apostolic period of first-century Christianity. I freely admit, though, that I may be wrong in this opinion, and I am not critical of my Christian brothers and sisters of charismatic persuasion who happen to believe otherwise.

working