jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Would you lie under oath to prevent a loved one from going to jail?

1. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

Would you lie under oath to prevent a loved one from going to jail?

If a loved on was on trial for some crime and there was a possibilty that they may go to jail, would you lie to protect them.  Lets say the crime was stealing money from a company.  Lets say it was not an extreemly large sum of money but enough to get a grand larceny charge.

Lets also say this s the person you love the most.  What would you do?

2. BobMonger profile image61
    BobMongerposted 5 years ago

I am sorry to say I have found myself in exactly this position and it was one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make. The first thought was to tell the lie and get this person off the hook, but after much thought I just couldn't do it. This person I loved so much was doing something they knew was wrong and were doing it rather than dealing with their problems in a constructive manner. It became clear to me that this sort of dishonesty was carrying over into our lives together and was beginning to snowball. God help me, but this was the only way I knew that would make this downhill slide stop. I convinced them to plead guilty and, in a deal with the court, helped them make restitution. We were told by the Judge that if there had been a guilty verdict the penalties would have been much, much worse. Our relationship ended some time after this, but to this day they thank me for doing the right thing and stopping something much worse from happening. It was a tough call but I'd do it again if I had to.

Darrell Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very nice , thank you for sharing.  I do not know what they did, but if you would make the same decision again, I am sure you did the fight thing in that instance.

2. BobMonger profile image61
      BobMongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for choosing my answer. The crime was theft but the underlying problem was drug abuse. In doing the hard thing in the beginning we were kept from an even harder thing later on. Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

3. Ramsa1 profile image63
    Ramsa1posted 5 years ago

I would not lie under oath. It's called integrity.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image55
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

Have not faced such a situation and I wish not to face such a situation in future. Because I can not lie, under oath or otherwise. Some people have even criticized me for always supporting the truth.

Tough question, I respect your answer very much. I hope neither of us get in that situation.

5. christopheranton profile image76
    christopherantonposted 5 years ago

When I was growing up I was taught that Perjury was a very serious sin because it involved calling on God to witness to a lie. I have not abandoned that belief yet.
    I hope I am never in the position of having to test my fidelity to this creed. I would not lie under oath though, no matter who it was for.

You are a tough guy. I admire you strength. I hope we never get in that position as well.

6. Rebecca2904 profile image79
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the circumstances? If, for example, I was protecting a doctor friend who had ended the life of a terminally ill patient at their request, but was now facing a murder charge? Yes, I think I probably would lie for them. If it was someone who had got angry/drunk/high and had done something terrible? No, because they should have known better.
    Obviously my view might change if I was actually in that situation, but looking at it now.. I think that's probably how I would react.

Very nice Rebecca2904.  I would probably do the same thing.  I think it is more important to do what is right in your heart as long as you have good intentions.

7. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

If it was a crime that I felt was justified then I would without hesitation or a shred of remorse, otherwise I can be surprisingly cold.

working