jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you wear religious jewelry or would you? Why or why not?

1. SylviaSky profile image95
    SylviaSkyposted 5 years ago

Do you wear religious jewelry or would you? Why or why not?

Recently four British Christians were told not to wear cross necklaces to their jobs. Do you wear religious jewelry? Is there a right time and a wrong time to wear it (in free countries)?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It is interesting we are supposed to have religious freedom but do we?  I'm not entirely sure that we do. I do not wear religious jewelry but not for any particular reason. I am a Christian so if I had a nice cross I would wear it proudly.

In free countries, as long as the jewelry doesn't interfere with one's work, it should be allowed.

3. calynbana profile image83
    calynbanaposted 5 years ago

I wear a cross necklace. I work with children in a school so I have wondered if I would be asked to remove my necklace or any of my t shirts that express my faith. I wouldn't say there is a wrong time to wear it. I don't think I would take off the necklace if I was requested without explaining exactly why I wear the cross and what it means to me. Afterwards I would comply, the Bible says to listen to authority figures. I would feel slightly upset though, the thing is as upset as we get it isn't worth the fight. The cross is a symbol of faith, it isn't necessary to the faith. A Christian isn't recognized by their jewelry but by their behavior. To comply in love and respect is more Christian than to fight for individual rights- and when it comes down to it- ones own pride. Taking off the cross doesn't mean you are ashamed of your faith, it just means that you know how to pick your battles. It would not stop me from sharing what I believe and behaving like a Christian. If I was ever told to stop that behavior that would be the time for a "fight".

That is just my opinion.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Yes, I do wear them.

I have several where it signifies certain purpose when wearing on different occasions.

Occasions like signing contracts, going to functions, on vacation, meetings, etc. Each of this activity comes with specific purpose so I choose the right religious jewelry to match it.

5. Mazzy Bolero profile image77
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I don't but I think I should have the right to if I should so wish. It incenses me that Christians are told they must not wear crosses while Muslim women can wear scarves and even the hijab, and Sikh men can wear their turbans.  They say it's because a cross is not mandatory in the faith, but neither is wearing a scarf or hijab mandatory in Islam.  I think this kind of discrimination causes ill-feeling between faiths unnecessarily.  You should have the same rule for all - if you want to ban signs of faith, that has to be all faiths.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

No. I don't wear jewelry, but I wore a cross around my neck for years until it was lost. I have no problem with it at all.

7. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

I think that wherever it is acceptable to wear jewelry, it should be acceptable to wear religious jewelry.  People who are not religious (if they truly are not) do not have to read religious connotation into any symbol including jewelry.

Closed to reply

working