What defines a man?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. calynbana profile image77
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

What defines a man?

How does one know if somebody is a man rather than a boy or  just a guy.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Character is what defines a man. How they act when no one else is around.

3. profile image0
    An AYMposted 11 years ago

You don't, because there is nothing specifically defining of "Manhood" (Unless you want to count the obvious hardware requirements).  Every individual has their own individual concept of the idea, and no one meets those standards 100% of the time.  So we would probably think of someone as a "Man" until they failed the culturally imposed standards and then by someone's account they are no applicable as a "man".

What's important to me as a judge of a person's character (Regardless of gender) is how they act when things are going wrong.  It says a lot to me when someone can still be decent and kind to those uninvolved in their circumstances when bad things are happening to them.

4. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

his actions and his attitude defines a person. I actually made a hub about this topic!

5. bluebird profile image61
    bluebirdposted 11 years ago

A man shoulders his responsibilities, he doesn't take on something unless he is confident he can complete it. He gives instead of takes, he loves instead of hates, he trusts instead of worries, he smiles instead of frowns, he grunts instead of cries. He looks to God as his father and guide and authority. He serves his woman in kindness and tenderness. He puts others interests ahead of his own.

He is a rarity and he is my husband of twenty seven years.

6. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

This question has a slight undertone to it that harkens back to the term "Real Man".  Legally according to the law any male that is age 18 or older is considered a man. In other words if he got arrested he would be tried as an adult.
    However I suspect you are asking how can you tell if a guy is "mature" and "responsible". If he does what he says he will do, takes care of his obligations, and is willing to admit he is wrong if he has made a mistake those are the key traits to being a (good) man. Needless to say a guy who is an abuser, irresponsible, or immature is still a man with those traits. To call him a boy is an insult to actual boys. There is such a thing as being a "bad man".
    I personally have never understood the need for some people to go around labeling other people. More often than not those are the people that are looking to "manipulate" someone. They try to brow beat them into doing what they want them to do. "A real man would ....etc" Truth be told a "real man" would not let someone else define who he is.
    All that matters is you spend your time with someone that has the traits (YOU) are looking for. If you determine a guy does not have them then you move on. One woman's trash is another woman's treasure and vice versa. Ultimately we're all looking for someone that (naturally agrees) with us on the major things in life.

1. calynbana profile image77
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer. I was asking this question to see how many contradicting answers showed up, to show the ridiculousness of labeling. I already found my man though :p

7. yoginijoy profile image65
    yoginijoyposted 11 years ago

I recently came across a book by David Deida called The Superior Man. It is a very interesting read.  The author doesn't mean superior in the Darwinian sense at all but rather underlines the importance of a man living from his true essence. I think may people could learn from this book.

1. profile image0
      An AYMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That description makes me think of the book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".

8. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 11 years ago

What differentiates a "man" from a "boy" is also what differentiates a "woman" from a "girl."  You know it when you see it.

9. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7441734_f260.jpg

It is simply revealed in his actions and (if you will) his reactions to stimuli; thus, one must observe, spend time with him and allow him to display his character. One must be patient; therefore, quick engagements and marriages could indeed be a significant mistake... My best advlce to anyone; is quite simply, never be in a hurry...

10. actionbronson profile image61
    actionbronsonposted 11 years ago

I would have to say the character and soul of the human being. Not physical possessions.

11. JamesGrantSmith profile image58
    JamesGrantSmithposted 10 years ago

A man faces up to responsibilities, is confident, bold, goes after what he wants, Is not afraid to be wrong. A boy is none of these things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)