Where was the outcry!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 83 discussions (374 posts)
  1. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago

The news we never heard~

Tragic!
    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=81459

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One book cannot make you kill yourself.  You have to be depressed already to be that affected.

spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You didn't read the entire article. He was bullied for being a Christian.

1. Friendlyword profile image61
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The boy was bullied because of his Christian belief. The book was not a part of the curriculum. Why was it suggested to this one student?
          I fight bullies everyday and this is an example of it.
          He should have been sent to Catholic or some other private school.

However the father made this statement:
          Here's another thing," he continued. "If my son was a professing homosexual, and a professor challenged him to read [a book called] 'Preventing Homosexuality'… If my son was gay and [the book] made him feel bad, hopeless, and he killed himself, and that came out in the press, there would be an outcry.

There is such a book. It's called the bible, and people use it to attack me every day.

1. tantrum profile image61
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I believe you !

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He was 22...obviously able to make his own decisions as to where to go to school

1. profile image0
              thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christians should only go to Christians schools? Gays should all move to San Francisco and gay schools.

3. profile image0

Oh please!

2. tantrum profile image61

Agree!

1. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

unless he killed himself with the book itself lol

3. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with maddie on this one. no one takes their lives over a book.

4. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if that is entirely true.  You take for instance, that Christians base their lives on the idea that God is real and is going to come back and it gives them hope... he very well could have been depressed but at some point he is given evidence against it, he cannot refute it, he loses faith and figures there isn't anything to live for.

He ponders why the entire world has lied to him, that would be enough to make me extremely depressed, now he is extremely depressed, he has no reason to live, he cannot talk to anyone about it because he is afraid of what they might say so...

He goes and shoots himself in the woods because he read a book.  Regardless of what book he read and what order they were read it. 

Religions are a dangerous thing and it seems that the Koran is enough to make thousands of people happily kill themselves.

So, the statement that 1 book cannot make you kill yourself is false. 

It is sad, really sad. sad

Books don't kill!
          It's your own insecurity, your own mind.

1. profile image0

Your right, books don't kill but 'faith' or lack of 'faith' does.

2. profile image0

That would explain why atheist suicides rate have increased lately
            http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_suicide

1. Len Cannon profile image89
              Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not because they were bullied by mean ol' Christians?

2. Presigo profile image59
              Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hopelessness is on the increase everywhere. Its time for people to turn their focus away from them and live a life of love and hope. Pillars of the christian faith

3. tantrum profile image61

That only proves what they are: people that don't believe in God

So what's your point ?
              That suicides are due to  insecureness ?
              That's not news, Is it ?

Just like this poor kid.
              and it's very sad to bring his misery into debate just to prove atheists are wrong.
              It's a shame !!!

5. profile image0
        R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As the article reported, he was consistently being challenged of his beliefs, perhaps ever since he started debating about them. And the book might have been long...maybe even killing his faith one chapter after another, making him depressed even more. I say the father has the right to complain, if it is true that a teacher challenged the student "in class" to read the book despite it not being included in the curriculum. The teacher should have seen the consequences of his (or her) actions. Even if Jesse is already 22, this is an issue of responsible and ethical teaching practice.

It's easy to fall into the "He should not have killed himself for just a book...it's just a book" kind of thinking. But we should always look at other people's perspectives. The important thing to note here is that the book is a medium to transmit a message. It has propaganda. It's no different when parents blame the media for their anorexic teen.

At one point in our lives we find ourselves broken, with a single principle that holds us and glues the pieces together. In Jesse's case, that principle was shattered. He probably tried to look for help, or tried to fix it himself, but to no avail. He lost hope of everything. Maybe he wasn't that strong. Maybe the book was just too strong. Or maybe he didn't find help when help was needed.

This is not about Christianity and Atheism. Again, this is an issue of responsible and ethical teaching practice.

Are you Jesse ??
          How do you know ?
          and again. Don't you think Jesse case is painful enough as to go over and over again  making foolish suppositions ?

1. profile image0

poor tantrum, blind bat!

2. profile image0

No. And if you're smart enough you should know the answer.

The answer is, don't suppose. It's a lack of respect.
              lol You're a joke

1. profile image0

you're the punchline, now ignore me. wink

2. profile image0

Gosh, as if you know what respect means. roll

And you're trying to prove ....???

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pam.  I read the entire article and I think I can suggest a reason why it represents “news we never heard.”

Where was the outcry? Unless I missed something, only one person asserts that a book reading assignment from a college professor is responsible for his son’s suicide.  This is a tragic story but no one seems to really know the reason why this young man took his own life.  Usually in cases of suicide, the deceased leaves a note but there is no mention of a note in this article.  You and I, and the rest of Hubberville, can offer theories until the cows come home and, in the end, we will still not know the cause of his action.

Your theory, Pam, if I read you correctly, is that he killed himself because he was “bullied” by non-Christians.  That may be a valid theory. We all know that bullies are everywhere.  Yet, it remains an unsupported theory subject to acceptance or rejection by others.  We also know that one of the goals of college is to encourage students to find their own evidence to support their beliefs and not to blindly accept arguments that they have not examined and validated for themselves.  In this environment, it seems natural for a professor to suggest additional reading to one student who challenges the validity of arguments found in the reading assigned to the students as a whole.

I found two other opinions of Mr. Kilgore to be very interesting.  He is quoted, "This guy was his best friend, and about the only other Christian on campus.”   Is he saying he really believes that his son and his friend were the only two Christians in the student body?  The other point is when “he suggested the moral is for Christians simply to abandon public schools wholly.”  This conclusion seems to be a huge leap to make for someone who begins with the feeling that a book reading assignment from one college professor is responsible for his son’s suicide.

Thanks for the link to this article, Pam.  It is always interesting to read about things not widely covered in the more popular media.

Q.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent response.

2. spiderpam profile image74

Thanks for your insights.

4. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Outrage at what?
      It is a very sad thing that this young man commited suicide but it most certainly was not the fault of the teacher, the school, the education system or the author of the book.
      He was obviously a very troubled and confused young man. If we are going to blame any of the afore mentioned why not blame the father who obviously painted such a harsh picture of what it meant to be a Christian that the boy, when he had trouble, felt that he could not discuss his concerns with Dad.
      I am not saying that Dad was to blame I am mearly pointing out that the kind of logic employed to get to the conclusion that any of the entities mentioned could or should be held accountable can be used to to plant the seeds of doubt on anyone this boy had contact with.
      At the end of the day only he and God know for certain what happened.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well this should settle this whole thing. excellent comment.

5. mobilephone guide profile image60
      mobilephone guideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahahaha this is like cultural hegemony!

6. Bibowen profile image86
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had not heard of this. That is very sad. I agree with some that a book could not make a person kill themselves, but that is a straw man. The question is influence, not determinism. For a young man who is dealing with life's issues, is atheism likely to lead to hope or despair? Atheism is not usually associated with being a "hopeful" point of view and I doubt is going to help a younger man as he struggles with life's issues, especially a man that want's a life that's not just free, but meaningful.

7. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesse's father said "I want to hold schools accountable for what they're teaching our kids. This was malpractice,"

I agree.  It's time to hold them accountable.  Valerie is right when she says this. 

8. alexandriaruthk profile image70
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My goodness, it is just not the book, dont pass the blame,

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

here we go big_smile

3. Rayalternately profile image59
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

least they're leaving Ozzy Osbourne alone this time! roll

1. profile image0

lol  lol  lol

4. spiderpam profile image74

From the atricle
    "Here's another thing," he continued. "If my son was a professing homosexual, and a professor challenged him to read [a book called] 'Preventing Homosexuality'… If my son was gay and [the book] made him feel bad, hopeless, and he killed himself, and that came out in the press, there would be an outcry.

"He would have been a victim of a hate crime and the professor would have been forced to undergo sensitivity training, and there may have even been a wrongful death lawsuit.

"But because he's a Christian, I don't even get a return telephone call," the father told WND.

That's so true and would have led the charge, Maddie.

1. profile image0

This is the core of the matter here. Why don't they get it?

Because it's not the matter here.
        Religion is not a human condition, it's a farce
        Homosexuality is not.

1. Valerie F profile image61
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Says you. But some people find their reason to live in "farce." If it keeps people good, happy, and alive, don't knock it.

I wouldn't blame Dawkins' book for this. It's just incidental. It's fairly apparent that the boy was depressed. However, some people find materialist atheism, the idea that this world with its fleeting pleasures and abundant hard knocks is all there is and there is nothing better, nothing perfect, depressing.

As for teaching practice, if religion has no place in public schools, neither does atheism. The professor had no business promoting his belief or lack thereof over any other.

1. Presigo profile image59

Absolutley right ! Thank you

lol lol
              I said millions of times that I don't believe in anything.
              So i can't care less what you think about Atheism and Dawkins.

And religion is a farce.
              My opinion.
              If you guys don't like it, then don't pay attention to me.

1. profile image0

As if this is not too overrated. You always say, "If you don't like it, then don't read it, or don't pay any attention to it." Talk about lack of harmony with thoughts and actions.

And here you come again ! lol
                  Do you want an autograph ? lol lol lol

1. profile image0

No. Aww, someone desperate of having a fan... clap clap.

GTG! tongue

2. profile image0

Obviously the young man was depressed.  We are not talking about grade school or high school, but university level learning.  At this point, as an adult, one should have the ability to think for one's self and critically analyze theories and what they mean to your own world outlook.

This article was written with a certain biased point of view in mind.

I am a theist, but I don't want to be lumped in with those who would promote such a view of 'Christian' victimization and quote, quote, 'values' instruction.

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

god had nothing to do with it

1. Rayalternately profile image59
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does he have an alibi? big_smile

6. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

whos this he person?

7. profile image0
    thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years ago

WOW! No respect here!

8. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

my idea of god doesnt need to take a pee

1. profile image0

But I do big_smile

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It is very sad this boy committed suicide but to blame it on a book or his professor is ridiculous. The father must be suffering but he is talking nonsense.

10. profile image0

Spider, if it gets too disrespectful here have them close this thread.

I know they're not even reading the article.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

That is not true. Just because you say something is disrespectful does not make it so.

Really ?
        and you're trying to prove ...??

3. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is because everyone knows your sources! lol

1. profile image0

lol

4. marinealways24 profile image60
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you say others don't read the article when the thread is based on a book you would be too scared to ever read.

Will you read the book or is your faith not strong enough?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look out marine. They may have to kill themselves if they discover life is not worth living unless they get to go to heaven. wink

1. marinealways24 profile image60

Yes, it would be asking some too much to do good simply for doing good rather than a mythical favored afterlife for their belief. I think it would be interesting to see how many believers faith are strong enough to read his book without letting the devil in. lol

2. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read Dawkins' God Delusion three years ago, it's a good book, in fact I'm writing a hub around it at the moment and I'm going to offer if from Amazon, I may as well make some cash from it as well as High Priest Dawkins!

Personally I would make it required reading for every Christian so that they can decide whether they are disciples of Christ or non believers.

If ALL Christians read it, our churches would be more dynamic because only those who had a Holy Spirit relationship would be there and we could start making an impact again in this sick world.

1. marinealways24 profile image60

Alright, give me an honest answer. How many christians would read the book without fear of letting the devil in?

1. aguasilver profile image71

Honest answer.... my guess, and I'm basing it on Europe, would be about 70%, in the States don't really know, I have about 50 buddies on the list I write with, but all of them are mature strong believers so for them 100%.

In reality God seems to have hidden His 'remnant' amongst all the 33,000 denominations that man has created, and the reason is that when Mark & Cº get stronger, and as the AC starts up, being hidden amongst a whole lot of pew warmers will be a safe way to stay alive when the real persecution starts, so there are a whole heap of people out there who have been going through the motions and singing their hallelujahs, paying their tithes and doing their good deeds, but they still are not actually 'sold out' to Christ.

Then there are those who are hidden and will stay that way, though it seems we are now near enough to the end for the cry "Come out of her my people" to be shouted from the rooftops.

I was asked to preach at a church once and had no subject until I got there (I'd been asked a month before) when God said, preach on OSAS, so I did, I preached  a safe preach in a safe church of older people who had been Praising the Lord for longer than I had been out of diapers, and the preach was:

"I believe in Once Saved Always Saved"

Relief big time from all the elders....

"But the emphasis is in the word 'ONCE'..."

Then I outlined what Christ sets out to be the standard for 'knowing' Him and asked "Do you fit the bill"

Pandemonium and it took 20 minutes for the mob to die down, the pastor (who was alive) told me it took him two weeks to explain what I meant and to calm things down.

So you tell me, how many do you think would be shaken out of their beliefs?

Dawkins is very logical, but then so am I, and I did get to a point about one third through when I was asking God "Why am I reading this?" - and then I found out why and had the antidote to his premises that will set any real believer back on course, or advise a pew warmer how best to make his exit and start enjoying what life he has left before the end.

My theory, if you are a Christian because you fear Hell, you're probably lost anyway... I changed teams because I saw that God won and it's no fun being with the losers, even if they do get all the glory here on earth.

Besides which I had gotten a little too deeply involved with the other team and I became aware that I had demons on my back, so I wanted to get free from them NOW, like whilst I'm alive, because they were problematic enough here and now, so I did not want to face any afterlife in their presence.... if you see what I mean!

Anyhow, there's a hub hers so I'll stop and you can read more if you want to when it's posted!

2. Valerie F profile image61

I don't really fear "letting the devil in." I do rather have a natural intolerance for groundless accusations that whole groups of people are delusional simply on the basis of having different beliefs. And I'm not masochistic enough to try to slog through a book the author has been gracious enough to say in the very title, "I Think You, Madame Reader, Are Delusional."

Shouldn't be post in the first place

3. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, just run away and hide.

1. profile image0

lol

2. profile image0

again

11. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

A hate crime must be attached to another crime. Challenging a person's belief system is not a crime.  If it was, you would long have been sent to jail.

Of course, the real gist of it is that if the father is to believed, he committed suicide not because he was bullied but because he lost faith and found himself agreeing with those who challenged him.  It is, indeed, a very difficult thing to have what you believe in shattered.

If someone is planning to be outspoken in their beliefs in a science course, I think it is only natural that the professor challenge him as he had been challenged.  It sounds, though, like there was more going on for this young man than simply questioning his faith.

The only real proof in the article is a bereaved father lashing out.  Suicide is senseless.  I lost someone I loved very dearly this past year and dealing with it was often more than I could handle.  I can not really convey the anger a person can feel towards everything and everyone when they feel that someone irreplaceable has been taken far, far too soon. Often times, that anger is directed as much at yourself as it is at others.

1. profile image0

Wow, So your answer is just don't be Christian. He was picked on constantly he never believed it he was getting good grades, man you didn't it all either.

12. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

That was not my answer at all.

Here is a quote regarding the deceased's crisis of faith from the article I did not read but you, apparently, did.

"He mentioned the book he had been reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins and how it along with the science classes he had take[n] had eroded his faith. Jesse was always great about defending his beliefs, but somehow, the professors and the book had presented him information that he found to be irrefutable. He had not talked … about it because he was afraid of how you might react. ... and that he knew most of your defenses of Christianity because he himself used them often. Maybe he had used them against his professors and had the ideas shot down.""

Sounds like he killed himself because he could not bear to disappoint his father...

Part of being at university is being challenged in your beliefs, no matter what they are.

13. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

com on, am I seriously here?  close your eyes Kim, your not really here, close your eyes.   geeez

14. spiderpam profile image74

I'd like to say I'm surpried, but I'm not.

1. profile image0

ever think about that?  Sorry your not surprised.

Of course you aren't !
      You knew perfectly well what the reaction was goung to be.
      Pleassseee ! lol

15. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Spider...as beautiful and sexy as you are...your'e trying to support heresay in your posts.

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Actually, most people on this thread have been respectful. Yet, you choose to concentrate on the negative...as usual.

1. profile image0

Who invited you? lol

17. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

here near me we had a homicide on thanksgiving day one of the victims was a 6 year old girl it disturbed me greatly that the parents of the slain girl said god took her home. god didn't  shoot anyone . why do the faithful blame god for everything?

Because it's a scapegoat kind of god.

18. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

for the record religions do not own my idea of god.

19. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

no individual people kill people it has nothing to do with faith religion  or books. its the primal instinct to kill . we are mammals. animal.

1. profile image0

We are talking about suicide here.

His faith was challenged and he killed himself.

20. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

and where did you hear that atheist suicide is on the rise?  let me guess the onion

21. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

or steven colbert

22. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

i sat in front of a mirror for hour with a gun to my head crying my eyes out. i slashed my hand to the bone while saying to someone you want blood here it is. you know what drove these acts? a incoherent rush of emotions  .  no faith no religion no books . just confused fear and hate

1. Presigo profile image59

An incredible testimony, I thank you for having the courage to share, I pray that it helps keep the tragedy of suicide into perspective

23. fatfist profile image68
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

Either:

a) God had a "higher" purpose for him, so "He" decided to take him early. So all is well and nobody should be upset at God.

OR

b) There is NO God, and the "reality" of the situation hit him so hard, that he couldn't go on any longer. He became a VICTIM from years of religious brainwashing. Just like child rape victims take their lives after years of abuse, when they finally discover what reality is.

When things go well in a Christian's life, they praise God.
    When things go bad in a Christian's life, they don't blame God.

1. aguasilver profile image71

Job 2:10

.... Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

24. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

well ty presigo nice to meet you im going to check out your hubs

25. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

"and it's very sad to bring his misery into debate just to prove atheists are wrong.
    It's a shame !!!"
    ...................well stated tantrum. smile

All in name of God!
      Nice !! sad
      Why don't they feel ashamed ?

God took the conscience from them. My opinion.

1. profile image0

Look whose talking?

lol lol
          Is the truth hurting that much ?
          You're so transparent, that I feel sorry for you !

1. profile image0

Pity from an atheist! Keep it. Is that even possible? lol

i don't pity you at all ! lol
              I was trying to be kind !
              Anyway!
              A waste of time  with you !

1. profile image0

kindness from an atheist! HA! btw when you had that creepy eye as your avatar I thought your were a man, weird yikes

I can be whatever you want, honey !

2. earnestshub profile image80

Some of the kindest most decent people are atheists, no self dillusions you see! smile

1. profile image0

Coming from you.... Stop insulting tantrum!

26. profile image0

Well I guess it's official if a homosexual gets bullied he's a victim(protest, ACLU the works), If a Christian get bullied he had it coming. Way to liberals, So much for tolerance.

And here you go again !!
      What Homosexuality has to do with being a Christian ??

Homosexuality is a human condition.
      Religion is a farce

Don't see any things in common as to put them together as an example

but of course, Whatever !

1. earnestshub profile image80

He is a self confessed homophobe. smile

1. profile image0

Christophobe!yikes

n. 

Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.

Behavior based on such a feeling.

1. profile image0

Christophobe yikes

2. profile image0

Nope they're are both choices, That don’t have to be endorsed but should be  respected.

3. aguasilver profile image71

I think you would find that in law the USA allows freedom of religion WITHOUT persecution alongside freedom of sexuality, but it's not my country and hey! maybe you guys feel that the American way of freedom, tolerance and fairness is outmoded anyhow in todays 'new age'.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good talk, thetruthhurts2009 IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Name one case where the ACLU has protested a gay person being bullied when it did not involve violence.

1. profile image0

Really? you don't know?

Name one.

1. profile image0

google it, They hate Christians!

You brought it up, name one

1. profile image0

Prop 8

That had nothing to do with an individual being bullied...

1. profile image0

Christians were bullied, harassed had property destroyed, but hey that's what you call progress. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02jtMIauIA

27. profile image0

Hey spider you gone?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, she will rise again.

28. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

He ??
    Oh , I thought the truthhurts  was a woman ! yikes

lol

Really? I thought she was male for some reason. No information on the profile and every hub is about religion! smilesmile

29. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Tantrum...you are a pillar to our community here...and cute too.

Kiss kiss. smile

30. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

This is just sad...taking of one's life is one of the greatest sin's that can be committed...his father needs to blame someone and unfortunetly it is the book and his son's professor.
    Time will heal and bring understanding of his son's reasons and I'm sure he'll find his son's problems were deeper than he was aware of.

31. spiderpam profile image74

I requested this to be closed.

thanks God ! lol lol lol

Yes of course you did! lol

3. profile image0

Good then it can disappear with other threads pushing it down.

32. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Of course, we can't have debate now can we? Truth won't have to prove his statements.

1. profile image0

You proved it for me.

33. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

actually, the tragedy is that this young man was so afraid of his father that he felt he had to hide this book under his mattress, instead of feeling free to have it in plain sight and even dicsuss it with his father. to even hint that this book is responsible for this tragedy is absurd.

34. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I don't know why I bother...

This thread is about a young man who killed himself. His grieving father is blaming it on a book. It is very sad but it is not a case of martyrdom.

Out of the religious forums for now. I like to think of more positive things around Christmas time.

martyrdom? no one even implied that, It's about bullying, but I guess Christians don't count. Your spin makes my head spin.

1. profile image0

And again I will say it, Christains aren't the only ones who get bulleyd so get off your high horse jeez!

1. profile image0

This one story that I didn't get hear about. It needed to be told. You don't like it move on!

1. profile image0

With ppl like you around I will GLADLY move on!

1. profile image0

C-ya!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you want this closed?

35. profile image0

how a professor challenging a student to broaden his perspective qualifies as 'bullying' is beyond me. we become open to new philosophies, new experiences, new ideas in college - if his father wanted to keep his son cloistered forever, he should have made him go to a religious college. the son should have felt that he could share anything with his father instead of being ashamed of it so that he hid it under his mattress like a dirty magazine.

1. profile image0

AMEN COSETTE! smile

2. profile image0

Oh brother!

1. profile image0

I know, right? It's too bad that his son didn't feel close enough to his father to talk to him about these things sad

36. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Sure looks like bullying to me.   The teacher used his position and power to attack the boy's Faith,  and whether the "law" holds him responsible or not,  the Law of God will take it into account.   
    Yep; the teacher would've been accused of discrimination if the boy had been homosexual or a Muslim or some other so-called "civil rights" whiner.

37. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Well, whatever, we don't know the whole story of what happened, just what his father says.

Universities are there to challenge your beliefs, not let you go merrily along your way without any thought.

1. profile image0

WOW

It is true. Good professors will not let you get away with anything without having to justify it, regardless of your beliefs...political, religious, etc.

1. profile image0

YAWN! you're re-uninvited

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.
      Universities are there to challenge one's mind and knowledge, not to break one's spirit.
      Universities are there to teach "higher learning" which means further knowledge, adult knowledge,  but NOT further stupidity,  and not to indoctrinate or push a liberal agenda on students.

How do you know if he challenged other's beliefs or not? I expect a university professor to challenge me on everything.

1. profile image0

Because you believe in nothing!

Bye...have a Merry Christmas...

2. ronjer1 profile image61
        ronjer1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

break one's spirit? no such thing. he was a big boy. if he can impregnate, then he don't need daddy or you christians making excuses for him.

3. Valerie F profile image61

Univesities do not exist to serve as bully pulpits from which professors can foist their personal opinions upon more-or-less captive audiences, particularly if their beliefs are irrelevant to the subjects they teach.

Atheism is a philosophical stance and has no business in a biology class.

1. profile image0

Perhaps, but I would have read it (and indeed understood something about the prof) at that age and mentally filed it appropriately.

I cannot remember where one viewpoint was taught as 'correct' in university level lectures.

38. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

If a Christian goes and kills themselves because of a book; then their faith wasn't very strong to begin with.

That's rather judgmental. Consider all the facts. It wasn't just the book. He'd been called out and embarrassed in class for his beliefs- in a class where there's really no reason to be discussing atheism in the first place. And he was a military veteran, so who knew what else had happened that had shaken his faith or made him otherwise feel his life was pointless?

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
        Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Again, if he killed himself, because of a book, or because people were mocking his beliefs, then his faith wasn't that strong.

2. profile image0

There is always the option to quit the class. Students are paying for it.  What people need to realize is that they are consumers of this education.  Should have complained, quit and taken another class more conducive to learning if this was the case.  I would have done it in a heart beat.

Yeah, it sounds like the young man should have talked to someone...  Honestly, it reads as if he had been religiously indonctrinated in a very fundamental way and when these beliefs were challenged, didn't have the psychological tools (faith) to combat doubt.

My case against fundamentalism perhaps, unfortunately, proven.  Something about 'glass houses' somehow fits.

1. profile image0

WOW, blaming the victim and his family classic!

1. profile image0

Well, if that's how you read that, obviously you have reading comprehension problems.

Stay away from colleges, though.  I hear they are scary.

1. profile image0

Yep, I must uneducated, wow. Is there a script you guys read from.

1. profile image0

You are not 'educated' in a way I'd consider educated.  I don't care what actual level you've obtained.

This is why I wouldn't want to be associated with so-called theists such as yourself.  Sorry.

1. profile image0

Because I don't think like you. Don't apologize.

1. profile image0

Yes.  Because you are looking for victimization and 'liberal' stances and read what I wrote...well, in a BEYOND fundamental way, actually.

Try that in any of the post secondary humanities.  Yeah, good luck.

And I just find it scary.

2. profile image0
                  sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thats harsh!

3. Friendlyword profile image61

I'm not sure, but it seems like 17 to 25 is a very stressful time in a young person's life. I think you have to be careful with people this age.  Why did this professor give this one student that book? Something stinks here. If the young man was attacking the Professor with his religious beliefs; he could have just shut the conversation down. Why did he destroy this young man's total belief system? It was bullying. I dont like it no matter who does it. If he wasn't attacking somebody with his religion he should have been able to express his beliefs without being ridiculed or attacked or converted.

1. profile image0

Most people would agree with you to some extent, Friendly. I may even.  I just found that the article was very slanted.  Who knows what really occurred.

2. profile image0

big_smile

big_smile lol

Or maybe he had other motives to kill himself, and the father, not coping with his son killing himself is blaming a teacher and a book.
          who knows !

1. profile image0

right on!

SO AGAIN  !
              Why are you all assuming a teacher or a book are guilty ?

1. profile image0

Because picking on the family is in bad taste.

Blaming a teacher as well.

1. profile image0

Why? He's alive and did wrong, you're not ignoring me tsk tsk

2. profile image0

tantrum  "Don't you think Jesse case is painful enough as to go over and over again  making foolish suppositions ?"  and you're doing the same thing. What a hyocrite, now ignore me. lol

39. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Well, bullying is a powerful tool. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't. Hopefully those involved will ask themselves and possibly become more sensitive to others.

In any scenario, it is a sad event that a young man took his life. His family is devastated, maybe they could be allowed some slack while they come to terms with the loss.

We might accept this as an oppotunity to personally evaluate how we conduct ourselves in regards to bullying. Is it ok to bully someone for any reason?

Just mho

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No bullying here.
        No proof of it
        No one kills oneself because someone bullies.
        there's always some inner, deeper explanation to suicide.

Obviously you have no idea the depressive effect bullying can have on people. Some people when pushed learn to stand up for themselves. Some people become bullies themselves. Some lash out violently in response to bullying. And some people internalize the hurt that is caused by bullying. They start to really believe they'll amount to nothing. And so they react to bullying with self-destructive attitudes and behaviors.

What a terrible society America has !!!
            I didn't know it was that bad !!

1. profile image0

Don't believe it...there is a bit of 'the victim' thing here being played on.   

Q. makes most sense.  And he's a theist.  Just not one who needs the slippery slope for whatever reason they do...

I know Lita.
                I'm trying to make this person see, what a stupid remark He /she made.

1. profile image0

She's interesting.  wink  Quite bright and writes well, but does carry a torch for Christianity more than most Catholics I know.  lol

Torchs can burn you . LOL

2. Valerie F profile image61

This is no indictment on US society, but on the act of bullying itself, which does happen in Canada, too. Get your head out of the sand. Maybe learn some of the psychology of bullying and the effects of verbal abuse.

40. profile image0

i hear Christians say that a lot...about how colleges are 'forcing their liberal agenda on our innocent children'.

really?

how do they do that, i wonder.

is it a grand conspiracy or something?

hmm... roll

1. profile image0

Did you not even read the article?

1. profile image0

yes, I did.

the book was "suggested" to him by one of his professors. he checked it out from the library.

the father is saying he essentially threw his son under the bus when he allowed his son into the hands of those "secular fiends".

why didn't his son tell his father or mother of his anguish instead of his friends? he didn't feel he could talk to his parents, which is horrible.

41. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

The book didn't kill the boy ... his own confusion did him in. Nowhere does such a book deliver the message ... 'If you are a Christian then you must kill yourself'.

The boy should have dropped the class when he realized it conflicted with his beliefs. Instead, he stuck it out and allowed the class to destabilize his beliefs.

This is no different than someone taking a class on Christian values, reading the Bible, and ending their life because they found themselves to be evil.

Would we blame the Bible for such a death? Most certainly not!

There are Christian colleges for a reason ... they exist to allow theist students a chance to receive an education that won't conflict with their beliefs. If a Christian decides to mainstream among the general populous then they need to understand they will be exposed to views that might not be their own, as not everyone in the world is a Christian.

There are laws against suicide, so even outside the Christian realm suicide is not an acceptable answer. The boy was conflicted inside, and I consider that a tragedy ... but I ask ... how did the father not see the conflict in his son and reach out to remove him from the college?

It's so easy to blame others for things we don't see ... bu we all must accept some of the blame when we miss the signs like everyone else does.

If every other person in the class can read the book without killing themselves then the message in the book is not one of glorified suicide.

Again, I am not trying to lessen what has happened. Suicide is always a tragedy. I'm just saying that we can't fault a book, a video game, or television every time a Christian takes their own life.

People commit suicide because they become in conflict with who they are and want to end the internal struggle. This metamorphosis can only occur when a person questions what they are and decides they want to be something else that they feel they can never obtain.

As a person who has lost two friends to suicide, I can tell you this is how it is ...

1. profile image0

Yoshi, first, love the photo, second, as always you have such an amazing ability to put things in perspective when they need to be, bravo my friend, your wisdom always inspires me, thanks

So well said
        Nicely put !
        thanks Yoshi !! smile

42. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Lita, I had the dubious privilege of attending a sociology lecture by a professor who did nothing but mock Christians and brag about the drugs he did in the '60's. I learned very little of sociology from him.

I also was called mentally ill by a professor because I didn't agree with his view that all homeowners are on a type of government welfare program because they get a tax exemption. I was also told after the class that I had to go along with him or leave his class.

Grateful to have the option, I opted to take the same class from a different professor.

Just because you never attended a lecture where one viewpoint was taught as "correct" doesn't mean that professors don't get away with that anywhere else.

1. profile image0

I suppose it is possible.  And yes, I received probably a more excellent education than I know.

However, even in a class where one prof was promoting a certain artistic/intellectual outlook in contemporary literature and assumed 'I didn't understand' (I'm actually finding it hilarious now, as I am more well-published than she is), I had the where-with-all to know she was full of crap even at 21, wink.

What I'm saying is that the 'world is always with us'...  You've heard most serial killers read Catcher In the Rye.  Does that mean the book is responsible for these individuals' killings?

I think not. 

The guy was depressed.  I find the blaming of the outside world (whatever the incidence is...and obviously, YOU didn't kill yourself in your examples) for a suicide is dangerous...a slippery slope argument.

43. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

1. as HUBBERS we should treat others with respect and not judge one another on each others religion, personal beliefs, looks, etc...have some love for HUMANITY, Please everyone smile

2. This does not surprise me, Dejavu! Remember the PMRC going after JUDAS PRIEST and a few other named hard Rock/Metal bands in the 1980's because some kid was high and killed himself while listening to music, and he just happpened to have a Judas Priest tape in the tape deck...
    Books and Music do not "MAKE" someone commit suicide...DEPRESSION, ANGST, and other MENTAL INSTABILITIES and even SOCAL ISSUES drive people to suicide..it is not an artist or author, it is problems the person is having that makes them misjudge themselves and commit suicide..
    Artists do not kill people by ART..same as Guns do not kill people, people kill people..

people simply neeed to see that the person needed help they did not receive and the end result was tragedy...

44. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Education isn't just a consumer product, either. If you want a career, you need a degree, and in order to get the degree in the field of your choice, you are required to take certain classes.

Furthermore, with students paying as much as they do for their educations, it is even more important that professors stick to teaching their subjects.

1. profile image0

I still maintain that the blame for suicide (or cause...however it should be worded) rests with the individual.

True. But blame for not teaching the subject and for bullying students (particularly in a way that is discriminatory) rests with the teacher.

45. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Somehow I just think these characters are looking for a fight.  Lita, you had it right on when you pointed out how the "discussions" about religion are more like a cartoon.

1. profile image0

You are right, SP.  Not very many reasonable voices here. wink

Thank you.

46. Singular Investor profile image71
    Singular Investorposted 14 years ago

A terrible story but what are we supposed to do ? Ban books ? Ban books that are anti-religion ? How many deaths has the Bible been responsible for ? Are we supposed to ban the Bible ? Are we all supposed to pretend to believe in stuff even if we don't just so as not to disturb the true believers ?

1. Friendlyword profile image61

Well...Yea! I think you could try to  understand.  A lot of people grab on to religion as a lifeline. Some people are very troubled and looking for something to believe in out of desperation. Sometime, you just have to be kind, and listen. There a difference between these kind of religious people and the fire breathers.

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The atheists are like that too.

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
          h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed there are so many varied members with unique views. Although I am very interested in participation, I have no intentions of trading in my beliefs or of imposing mine on anyone. Just a respectful curiosity and getting to know fellow hubbers.
            Thank you for the advices, Holly smile

2. tksensei profile image60

But the atheists have a singular ability to avoid seeing how they are exactly like everything they (in their great secular superiority) mock and dismiss. And some of those who like to tell themselves they are of the 'progressive' and 'tolerant' type are the most militant and unforgiving in their blatant, hateful bigotry. Kinda sad really.

Think of the poor boy instead of pushing your agenda. Sad? Yes - very. It is not important that atheists are superior right now.

1. tksensei profile image60

I know - but this is not the best time. Think of the poor boy instead of starting another fight.

2. Make  Money profile image66
                Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hitler said something similar.

Well done make money. Quoting me in snippets out of context. Oh yes - lying is OK for Jesus. I forgot. Sorry.

1. profile image0

I think the point Mike was making is about being to extreme.

He often brings up Communist Russia (extreme atheism) as well as Christian dictators (Hitler) as well as Muslim extremist (so many there I cannot put just one name down).

Strong faith or strong lack of it is like a loaded weapon.

Name some names tk! smile

Can't be me - I was agreeing with the spider woman. Poor kid - he killed himself when he found out there is no god. What sort of a belief system is that? sad

2. profile image0

big_smile

lol @ "great secular superiority" lol

3. tksensei profile image60

Sad, and ultimately self-destructive.

47. h.a.borcich profile image61

I did not try to state if there was or wasn't.

All I am saying is that people need to recognize a bully and make a choice to tolerate it or stop it.

Is it ok to bully anyone for any reason?

Bully will always happen. everywhere.
      I'm not concerned about and never was. It's of no importance.
      Childish thing, nobody should pay attention to it.

1. profile image0

Luckily I'm not American and we don't have that kind of problems in our schools.
          As it seems all those problems are due to the bad education you get in your education agenda, and what parents teach their children at home.
          Bad examples creates bad habits.
          Not my problem.Your country is not mine.

Nobody bullies in Argentina for beliefs or sexual orientation.
          Bullies here are childish stuff and parents and teachers fix this issues without problem.

48. h.a.borcich profile image61

If bullying contributes to someone wounded enough to commit suicide, I think as a society we need to ask if we do it, or tolerate it or stop it.

That is not a compassionate response?

49. h.a.borcich profile image61

In my opinion, bullying is repeatedly taunting and teasing mercilessly a target to the point they are completely distraught.

The kids in your country don't bully because the grown ups are a good example?

Kids everywhere need to be taught not to bully.

We are a very open society. Even gay marriage is legal.
      and nobody makes fun of believers, as believers here are not so fanatical as in USA, it seems

1. profile image0

I'm coming for a visit, tantrum! wink

Whenever you want !. You're always welcome ! smile

50. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Well you didn't make American society look good. MHO
    lol

Lesson number one in bullying. Ad hominem attacks are a good start. Mocking someone for her beliefs, calling her remarks "stupid," and mocking her nationality all can count as bullying behavior.

You're Canadian, and therefore proof that Canadians aren't as tolerant as you say.

lol lol lol
        I'm from Argentina.
        and as I stated earlier we don't have that kind of  bullying problems there

And I'm not mocking your nationality.You are making a poor description of it

1. profile image0

Yep you're a bully alright.
          http://exonous.typepad.com/myblog/bully.jpg

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)