jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is there a time when you feel powerless?

1. pstraubie48 profile image85
    pstraubie48posted 4 years ago

Is there a time when you feel powerless?

Despite your religious beliefs, in those lonely times just you, alone, do you ever feel powerless to help others who are hurting physically or emotionally?

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

So many times, but they normally include health problems. I always try to believe that I can control something in every situation. When friends are hurting physically or emotionally, it is always possible to help them out. When some you don't know are hurting, there are some things you can do and some you cannot. Physically? Join a cause to help them for a disease, abuse, etc. Emotionally? Attempt to help in counseling or support a group that fights for that purpose. There is always a way to help someone.

3. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Personally I make it a point to feel powerless. Otherwise I become the lead actor, producer, director and audience and those plays do not turn out so well.

4. d.william profile image76
    d.williamposted 4 years ago

All the time in most major aspects of life. 
    We have no individual control over government or religious policies that are inappropriate for the majority. 
    We have some control over our health, but that too is limited by our lack of knowledge of how things are affecting us physically (such as the genetically modified foods we eat).  We have absolutely no control over this process even if we knew exactly what foods we are eating that ARE 'modified' or the end results of eating them.
    We can empathize with those around us who are hurting, in dire poverty, hungry, lost and in pain, but unless we have the financially resources to eradicate the problems on a global scale we are limited to those closest to us, and that too is limited by our finances, resources and knowledge of why people are in distress in the first place.
    So, there is nothing we can actually say we are completely in control of in this life, unless that is the decision to end it.