Should schools teach one religion, or all religion, or no religion at all?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image61
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 11 years ago

Should schools teach one religion, or all religion, or no religion at all?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7908345_f260.jpg

2. daydreams profile image93
    daydreamsposted 11 years ago

I think they should teach people about different religions, but allow children to make their own mind up which religion to follow.

3. Amber Vyn profile image59
    Amber Vynposted 11 years ago

I think religious studies should be part of every middle school and high school curriculum. Most people are believers, and being familiar with the major religions of the world is part of what it means to be an educated person.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But it violates church and state.
      In a religious school it's okay.
      Not in public school when you can't even have a Christmas Tree.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lor since when does teaching the subject of religion violate the separation of church and state. In a multicultural world children need to get a comprehension of other ethnic groups and beliefs otherwise they'll grow up in ignorant bigotry.

3. Lor's Stories profile image60

You can not teach religion in a public school
      How old are you.
      Public school public funding.
      There is a separation of church doctrine nd teaching it in a public school.
      I went to catholic school. I suggest you check the constitution .

4. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amber Vyn, you are correct in your discussion.  It is very important that education of the major religions should be provided to the students as a part of history.  Separation of church and state does not apply to history studies.

5. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lor, you are confusing school prayer and the Church evangelical teaching of Christianity with the factual, historical comparitive teaching of religion designed to engender kids with an understanding of the world.

4. Craig Suits profile image63
    Craig Suitsposted 11 years ago

In no way shape or form should ANY religion be taught in any school that teaches children. The subject is infinitely complex, totally un-provable and eventually leads to wars between opposing beliefs.

1. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. ketage profile image81
      ketageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Took the words right out of my mouth.

3. renegadetory profile image60
      renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree.  I don't feel it is the schools job to teach religion, that is the family's job and the church's job.

5. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Here in the USA schools can barely manage to teach the basics well. They sure shouldn't be teaching an opinion based subject. If religion started being taught in school I would pull my children out and homeschool. There are thousands of Gods. They don't have time to teach all of them. So they should be teaching about none of them.

1. daydreams profile image93
      daydreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But shouldn't children be taught about history, and their culture? Whether or not you think it is a good thing, religion has played a major part in historical events, and an important cultural reference.

2. peeples profile image92

Do you think they should only be taught American history? You're right religion has played a major role in almost every country. Shall we teach the children how many lives have been claimed by religions as well? Afterall it is history.

3. daydreams profile image93
      daydreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No of course I don't think they should only be taught American history, and yes I think children should learn about wars etc caused by religion (I'm not American by the way)

4. peeples profile image92

The problem is they don't have the time nor training to teach about thousands of religions. Could you imagie having to pick and choose which religious topics should be taught? Just leave them out of schools, in my opinion.

6. Marisaupa profile image72
    Marisaupaposted 11 years ago

It simply is not possible to convey a true sense of history devoid of the role that religion has played in our past and present. 

It would be equally foolish to simply passively mention the fact that religion has played a role across several civilizations and time periods without providing some context to the issue.

Although it would be wrong for a secular public school to ever advocate for a specific religion or particular social movement; it would also be wrong not to present the impact that religion has had on our historical past and our present.

To provide that contextual basis for analysis and thought is not an attempt to indoctrinate a child into a specific ideology.  It is merely a way to expand their own sphere of focus and analysis.  It helps to extend the understanding that they have of their world.

I would have no problem with religion being presented in that fashion.  Presented any other way, either by being actively hostile against religion or openly promoting it, would be troublesome.

This opinion is entirely focused on secular public schools.  Obviously, private religious institutions have every right to apply an ideologically biased point of view in their curriculum.

7. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I think there should be a course that explains the top five or seven religions most believed in the world. Let the children know what their parents believe and those around them. The problem would be reducing bias.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image83
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

I took a world religions class in high school and I loved it. So, I think it's a valid field of study. However, I am thinking of it in terms of historical mythology, not the actual belief in, or practice of, any specific religion. But its very difficult to teach modern religions as mythology because so many people would get offended. Until we can be mature about the subject, it probably shouldn't be there at all.

9. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image61
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 11 years ago

There are some really diverse answers here, and strong opinions. I feel that if religion is taught in schools, it should be done so objectively, without bias to any one particular religion. There is a lot to learn about politics in the history of religion, and the past has had such a great impact on the present it is impossible to ignore it. Children need to be taught to respect each other regardless of their differences, religious or otherwise.
    Thank you for sharing your feelings on this issue.

10. extremefun4fun profile image60
    extremefun4funposted 11 years ago

In my idea, it is good to teach them only one religion which is base of all religions and that is love and humanity. we should teach them that base of all religions wants to tell us to be good only, by good and positive thinking, good and positive talking, good and positive hearing. it means just to be a good human being and respect all religions. that is why we are here and after all, God is the only one. the creator of all the universe which has connected everything in this universe.
    Have a good day!

11. sweeteeth profile image65
    sweeteethposted 11 years ago

I think schools should teach about different religions and their teachings which are basically same. But they should not taught them that this religion is good and this is better. They should taught them about religions but along with a teaching that do not follow one strictly. Follow your religion and respect others religion.

12. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

I think they ought to teach tolerance.
    Can we really practice what we are taught if we are ignorant.
    I don't care about any ones religion as long as they don't push it to the point where there is a fight in class.
    You may not agree,
    But if our kids aren't taught about all religions, then there will be a biased approach to anything out side what they get from home.
    Comparative religion was the best class I took in college.
    And there were arguments but I just kind of sat in the back and listened,
    Why do you think we are in the wars we are in now! Radical Religious sects.
    Even that needs to be taught though I am not sure how.
    Religion though is only taught in Religious schools.
    You can't teach religion in a public school.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60

I just googled the law about religion in public school.
      The answer is no. My sister worked for a school system in our state.
      You can talk about the bible as historical but not put a faith system in the schools! Google it!

13. Freeway Flyer profile image75
    Freeway Flyerposted 11 years ago

Religions should be taught to students in public schools as an academic subject. They have been too crucial a part of the human experience to ignore. No particular religion, however, should be taught as the truth. Students can decide for themselves which, if any, they accept.

Private schools, of course, are a different matter. If parents want to spend their money on classes that teach their kids a particular religious belief as truth, then I guess that they have that right. But if these schools want their degrees to be taken seriously by colleges or employers, then they need to fulfill the academic guidelines for other subjects, and that includes science.

14. lumen2light profile image59
    lumen2lightposted 11 years ago

Scottish schools teach religious studies where they look at the basics of religion and history.
    I believe that only with education of all types of religion can an individual choose what direction to take. After all that is why schools provide lessons in a number of subjects, to enable the students to choose their career path.
    One religion does not fit all; if it did there would be only one.

15. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

I don't really know of any schools that teach one religion except for private schools such as Catholic School.  But it is popular in history-such as the Roman Crusade.  So if it is something like that that would be fine.  My daughter is taking a sociology course in college and she is learning about different cultures such as the Mormons and Amish.  But to have a course on religion in a public High School only no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)