This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think evil is necessary?

1. hubmuffins profile image69
    hubmuffinsposted 4 years ago

Do you think evil is necessary?

I understand that everything in the world exists in pair. Hence evil is as necessary as good. Evil balances the good and thus retains the stability of this universe.

2. twalker74 profile image79
    twalker74posted 4 years ago

This is a great question. I (personally) would venture away from the stance of stability and challenge one's self to understand what he or she may believe to be good if there is no examples of evil. Plus, I believe the universe (as with mother nature) to be neither malevolent nor benevolent.

As far as our understanding of the universe goes, it does not single out those who inflict evil as must as it does justice. If this were true, Hitler would never have risen to power and Mother Teresa would look 20 years of age.

As with its necessity, well no. Our over populating and devouring of natural resources (if you do mind taking a clinical angle) technical is typical of humanity. I would argue it is our nature, but the subjugation of other groups is a result of our greed.

Morally, I feel it is wrong, but morality is subjective. What we find is civil may not relate to another culture and certainly does not relate to other eras. So is Evil necessary...again I would say no. But until we create a truly homogenous society, we have to live with it.

3. PoeticPhilosophy profile image81
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 4 years ago

"knowing" evil is, applying it no. This is the concept of Yin-Yang positive and negative work as a whole don't go 'against' negative but accept it (In  your mind). But don't apply it. That is what good is.

1. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly what I believe myself, but I was not aware that this was already a proposed thought.  Thanks, and it has inspired another question that I will post.

4. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

No I don't see any need for evil in the world.
    We gain nothing from it and it destroys the lives of many.
    I think there is a necessity to know what evil is and how to recognize it but we have plenty of examples in history.
    Yes being cheated or robed teaches you a lesson about trust but it would be better if nobody cheated or robed anyone.
    Certainly evil on a grand scale has no positive affect on anyone or on groups or countries or mankind as a whole.
    I can't think of any evil that had benefited mankind in any way.
    Imagine what the world would be like without evil. What would it be like if everyone thought about others and how to join together to get things done.
    But evil is here and it is here to stay so we all have to be on guard at all times.
    In any discussion of evil I'm always reminded of the Rolling Stones song "Sympathy for the Devil". So many have a negative reaction to the song without ever hearing it or listening to the words. It says that evil will appear to us in many ways with many faces and to refuse to acknowledge and recognize it is to become a part of it. Something to think about.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

As it has been put to me, we have to have 'a contextual field.'   How would we know hot if we didn't know cold - and the various gradients in between?    How would we know colour unless we could experience it's absence?  Absolute dark through to a white so dazzlingly we can't stand to look at it. 

We put the label on an increasing absence away from love and at the further extremes we call it evil.   Most of us know what it is in the abstract.  But there are, of course, various shades of evil.   Old Gautama the Buddha hit the nail on the head as far as the work we do as, 'Right livelihood.'   Right livelihood is anything that makes the lives of ourselves and others around us happier; adds to our welfare' contributes to the common weal.   

From this, we can deduce that ' wrong livelihood' is any type of work that does the opposite.  But try telling that to the people who design and manufacture land-mines or napalm.   They will justify it by saying "It's our duty to built weapons to defend our country."   It is, of course, an evil.   If others do it, it's wrong.  If we do it, it's okay.   But I stand with old Buddha.   People know deep down, when all the rationaiizations are done, that they are making or doing bad things.

So we have a spectrum: the most heinous of criminal activity and crime that we can possibly envisage at one end, and unconditional, benevolent love at the other.   But somewhere along the middle of this are the various shades of bad and good...based on our own conditioning.

6. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 4 years ago

Without evil how do you judge good? If nobody is bad then nobody is good, they just "are". It's like trying to have order without chaos, you can't.

1. hubmuffins profile image69
      hubmuffinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes you're right
      there cannot be good without evil
      you have to have evil to judge what's good
      you cannot just have good. But you can have a bit of both. Ratios changing over the course of life. But you should burry the evil part of you deep within. L

2. Borsia profile image45
      Borsiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You can have good and indifference without evil and everyone will know what good means.

7. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What is evil? It's absence of good. Some see  it as a separation from God. Others believe that it's an inevitable part of life.  There are still those who believe that evil is merely a choice. read more

working