This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Did Jesus command Peter to deny Him three times?

1. Rodric29 profile image77
    Rodric29posted 4 years ago

Did Jesus command Peter to deny Him three times?

Some say Peter did it out of fear others that he was commanded. I know that when the guards tried to take Jesus initially. Peter chopped off and ear of one of the party members. Jesus had to heal the poor guy. It seems odd that Peter would then deny Jesus.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't believe Jesus ordered Peter to do anything. Even when Jesus said "Follow me" it was a request Peter could've turned down. When it comes to Peter denying Jesus, he did it of his own free will. What Jesus said wasn't an order, it was a statement based on the fact that Jesus knows what will happen before it does.

3. Wakerra profile image81
    Wakerraposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't say he was commanded, rather it was predicted.  Honestly, if you link it with human nature, he was afraid.  He was being accused of knowing Jesus by people who despised him.  He probably didn't want the attention, or feared what they might do to him if he said he knew who Jesus was, and was in fact with him in the garden.

As far as Peter chopping of the guards ear, I found it part of his impulsive nature (among other more important factors, of course).  Its interesting how you can pattern that with Peter in the scriptures.  Like when he wants to walk to Jesus on the water, or when he jumps out of the boat to swim to shore when he realizes its Christ on the beach.

1. Rodric29 profile image77
      Rodric29posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wakerra, so what you are telling me is that Peter had ADHD! Just kidding. I agree with you. Petter was quick to jump into the mix of things. His call to the apostleship did not take much convincing. He left straight away with his brother.

2. Wakerra profile image81
      Wakerraposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Though personally I still find the Bible Video on this event the best explanation of what happened https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos … m?lang=eng

4. Pamela99 profile image87
    Pamela99posted 4 years ago

Jesus told Peter he would deny him three times, but Peter did not believe him. When morning came and he realized he he had denied him 3 times Peter was ashamed.

working