jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

At what age you did you feel religion/ spirituality is indeed needed for you in

1. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 4 years ago

At what age you did you feel religion/ spirituality is indeed needed for you in life?

I believe most of us (even a non-believer/ agnostic) crosses a particular age when religion turns to look more meaningful than science or anything else that we were relying upon. Did you come across such a situation in your life? At what age? What triggered it?

2. John Sarkis profile image83
    John Sarkisposted 4 years ago

Well, I was raised Catholic, but never gave it a second thought.  I didn't start having a relationship with God until I was in my late twenties; I believe in the protestant faith, though still perform some Catholic rituals.

3. Smireles profile image79
    Smirelesposted 4 years ago

I was brought up and taught the basic doctrine of my religion since I was ten years old. I am Apostolic. My pastor was a Bible College professor and studied for his doctorate which he received from a Baptist University. Because of my teaching I had a very good understanding of man's relationship with God since I was ten years old. I never doubted and as an older person I continue to have an excellent relationship with God.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image82
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years ago

I was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist.  They place an extremely high importance on a personal relationship with God.
    I was raised in an odd atmosphere; as a child, I'd go to church on Saturday and enjoy the pristine holiness, then spend the rest of the week at home and in public school dealing with all sorts of nasty sinful strife.  When I attended a Seventh Day Adventist school from 8th grade through graduation, I had some relief from the strife, but my classmates often laughed at me for being a puritan.  I now realize many of their homes were more strife-ridden than mine.
    I officially accepted Christ at age 13.  During my high school years, there were many times when Christianity was used against me; I was manipulated, and driven to act against my better judgment.  So I rebelled against the church after high school graduation.  Out in the world, I discovered many people were not taught what I'd learned in high school, so I returned 7 years later.
    Returning to Christ solved very few problems.  In fact, I inadvertently joined a cult 11 years later, putting my life at serious risk.  As a result, I'm finding the older I get, the less necessary I find religion.  I tend to see it as a code of ethics and a way of life; nothing more.  I do not condemn the Seventh Day Adventists; they tend to be more ethical than most Christian religions.  It's Christianity I'm having problems with.  I'm beginning to wonder if Christianity itself is a cult, and Adventists merely do their best to make it positive.