jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

What is heaven ?

1. Harishprasad profile image81
    Harishprasadposted 4 years ago

What is heaven ?

Can't we limit our thought to the hard fact that we exist from birth to death and only this much we are capable to know and all else except this blatant fact is nothing but our ignorance presented as juggling of fine language.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Everyone wants to know about heaven and everyone wants to go there. Recent polls suggest that nearly 80% of all Americans believe there is a place called heaven. I find that statistic encouraging because it tells me that even in this skeptical age there is something deep inside the human heart that cries out, "There's got to be something more. Something more than the pain and suffering of this life. Something more than 70 or 80 years on planet earth. Something more than being born, living, dying, and then being buried in the ground. Sometimes we talk about a "God-shaped vacuum" inside the human heart. I believe there is also a "heaven-shaped vacuum," a sense that we were made for something more than this life. We were made to live forever somewhere. In a real sense we were made for heaven.

There is another fascinating statistic I should mention. Not only do most Americans believe in heaven, most people expect to go there when they die. If you took a microphone to the streets of America and asked, "Do you think you will go to heaven when you die?" the vast majority of people would answer, "I hope so," or "I think so," or perhaps "I think I've got a good chance. Not very many people would say they aren't going to heaven. Perhaps one modest point is in order. Whenever you talk about living forever somewhere, it would help to know for sure where you are going. After all, if you're wrong about heaven, you're going to be wrong for a long, long time.

The only things we can know for certain about heaven are the things revealed in the Bible. Everything else is just speculation and hearsay. The Bible tells us everything we need to know and I believe it also tells us everything we can know for certain about heaven.

1. myefforts profile image82
      myeffortsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very well said JThomp42.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you myefforts.

3. Harishprasad profile image81
      Harishprasadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So comforting and wonderful is your response  that I am all for it. Dear, we long for heaven,very right but we own a mind that is so powerful that it can visualize and experience heaven here on earth itself provided we are ready for it. Thanks.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Heaven is the ultimate peace and nirvana.  In Heaven, all is positive and all is good.  Heaven is when we reach our ultimate spiritual evolvement.  Heaven is when we spiritually are our best selves. In heaven, we are ONE with the Universal Force, God, or Godhead. 

Of course Heaven is so many things to many people based upon their respective spiritual, ethical, philosophical, and/or religious beliefs.  To many traditional religionists, Heaven is where they meet and are united with their respective spiritual leader be it Allah, Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, or whatever spiritual leader it is.  Many traditional religionists strongly maintain that in Heaven, they are in God's
    throne/kingdom.  They further assert that in Heaven there is no more pain, want, sorrow, and other human foibles.  To them, all will be WELL for an eternity.

Many people view Heaven as the ULTIMATE reward for a life well lived.  Such people view the earth plane as a series of life tests which one must experience, endure, and overcome.  They strongly believe that if one is successful on this earth plane, he/she will go to Heaven or a similar place.  There are others who view life as just preparation for the heavenly reward so they live a very narrow prescribed life, believing that if they lead this prescribed path and not deviate from it, they will receive their reward in Heaven.

Then there are others who view Heaven as evolution in consciousness from the human to the spiritual level.  They are of the school that death is just a transformation of consciousness from the physical to the spiritual.  To them, Heaven is the highest and best possible transformation of consciousness and energy from the material to the nonmaterial.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you  immensely for selecting my answer.

2. Harishprasad profile image81

You have so brilliantly elaborated on various facets of heaven that it is confirmed that you are deeply immersed in the search of this wonderful phenomenon. Thank you very much for your kind response.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 4 years ago

Once we understand our purpose in physical lives then we will be living in spiritual life where there will be no death. Our spiritual lives will be in the form of light source of energy. That is where we will be living in heaven. Total peace ...

edhan, your response is so tiny and succinct that I cannot but admire it with all my heart. Total peace is to remain established in an tranquil state of mind facing quakes and showers all alike. I just love your wisdom,dear.thanks a lot.

5. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 4 years ago

Suppose you do some extraordinary performance in your office, may be there is an official party to congratulate you, you get a special reward/ memento,  dinner with drink in a star hotel, you stand in the limelight during the function. Then what happens?

Tomorrow, you are back to office and face the  same over-demanding boss, non-cooperative subordinates, jealous colleagues, tough customers and so on.

Same thing with heaven. You enjoy the fruits of your extraordinary good deeds done in life at heaven, and once the fruits of good karma are exhausted, you comeback to earth on a re-birth.

Earth is karma bhoomi. This is where you exhaust all your karmas to get final liberation. Liberation is not living in heaven.

This is Hinduism point of view.

C.V. , you are such a deep thinker that I cannot but endorse full your concluding words," Earth........heaven". True that self realization cuts all bonds and puts a full stop to all bewildering notions creeping in an individual's mind. Thanks a lot.

6. myefforts profile image82
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

There are three things actually, the heaven, the hell and this earth. In Heaven, everything is positive and it will be for ever. In Hell, everything is negative and this too would be for ever. This earth is a combination of positives and negatives. We are sent here to spend our life. During that span of life, what we do here and how we do it , would decided our future in the hereafter. If we have done good deeds here, the destiny would be heaven, and hell otherwise. This concept suggests man to do good deeds, to help others, to respect others and to respect his creator. This way he would definitely be able to earn heaven for himself which is eternal life that would never end.

myefforts, your response is very sweet. Just imagine, we get to know( God 's grace )  that we keep reincarnating again and agin and live as human beings with all it's comforts and sadness,will we still be happy to live lives sans notion of heaven?