Mikel's Opinion, if you want it.

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 67 discussions (363 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Ask away...

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK here is one for ya.  As is written in the bible;
        IF the words that an apostle says seems to be a direct contradict with the words that Jesus is said to have spoken; What should we do?

Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Realize that gossip changes with repetition, I say yellow today, 300 years later it gets written down that I said orange.

The early times of the 'Bible' were mouth to mouth. The Bibles were penned in Rome Italy 300 years after the death of Christ. The people that penned them were flawed Human Beings. The people in the Bibles are to us cavemen, as are those that penned them. We have evolved to a greater understanding than the one they had. We see a clearer view of the universe, of God, of each other and of Linguistics. We have to re-exam how we look at the Bibles, and not treat them as absolute. If we treated medical books like we treat the Bibles, where would we be?

Knowing that the flaws exist...  when a direct contradiction occurs between the words said to be spoken by Christ and those of a disciple; which statement deserves more credence.?

You want an everytime answer to a specific question. There aren't any. You have to make a unique decision (that may be the same) for each situation. Based on the problem, based on all new facts, based on why you think it is a contradiction, If it is a contradiction. You have to examine the linguistics of who said it, who wrote, what era was it written in...

There is a simple answer.  If you are following Christ then you will follow those things that is written that he said.
                  If another says that Jesus was wrong? Who do you believe?

If You and Christ are standing in the same room as me. You say the sky is pink, Christ says it is blue. I would look up and see what color I thought the sky was.
                If you said this is the way some unprovable thing is, and Christ said the opposite. I would believe whoever I thought had the better reasoning. I would be influenced by expertise in the field discussed, of both you and Christ. I would then form my own Opinion.

If you and I were standing alone in this same room, and Christ's words were being represented by a 2000 year old document, written by people that had a caveman's level of understanding, 300 years after the event, based on accounts from people that only knew of it through gossip, I would believe whoever I thought had the better reasoning. I would be influenced by expertise in the field discussed, of both you and Christ. I would then form my own Opinion.

Thank you for your answer. It told me everything I needed to know.

2. SparklingJewel profile image68
            SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...and, who do you believe...?

read the thread, I answered that.

1. Cagsil profile image71
                Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mikel, don't mean to butt in or interject, but I think Sparlingjewels was asking Jerami? Who did HE believe? You or Other?

The only reason I say anything is because she responded to his post, asking him the question and wasn't asking in general. I hope that made sense.

Gotcha...thanks for the clarification.

2. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would God choose to use this crappy mode of communication if he wants us to really believe this baloney.  This makes God look silly.

When two toddlers are communicating (in baby talk) do you really think their parents have a choice as to the professional form of communication the toddlers use? The parents correct the toddlers as they can, in a manner they(the toddlers) can understand, when they are capable of understanding the corrections. So does God. The mode of communication that humanity had at that time was what was used. I'm sure that if they had the technology we have today, it would have been used.

1. getitrite profile image71
              getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But wouldn't it be simpler if God just appeared today and talked directly to us in our advanced forms of communication, instead of having us get this important knowledge from primitive sheep herders.  That creates an unnecessary barrier, and is not very indicative of a supreme being.

He is not going to interfear with the 42 prophetic months that was given to the beast.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Do you think we've progressed that far? We may not be cavemen anymore, but I bet to God we are. Just because to us it is the most advanced, doesn't make us on a level with God. I believe we may be as old as kindergardens now...maybe not even that far...Remember 2000 years ago they (the writers of the Bibles) were the epitomy of modern civilization. The best and smartest, God inspired... 2000 years from now people will look back at us and think "What a bunch or primitive bull crap they thought back then, they didn't even know how to telepathically send picture images to each other..."

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                  Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not that you are trying to convert anyone or push your beliefs or anything. wink

Just another one with all the answers. And God has a personality and you know what "level " he is on. lol

God by definition is the uppermost, topend, best of the best...whatever that is...
                    Everything I write is absolutely, Unequivocolly my opinion... and I believe that I am correct in my opinion.

3. profile image53
          (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then, by your own logic, they were most likely wrong about everything they thought and believed, yet you still think and believe as they did.

Dead.

Most likely wrong about everything...NO... most likely expressing the truth in the very best 'primitive' way they knew of...Yes... the confusion today, we have new meanings applied to the words they used. What they visualized a word to mean isn't what we visualize it to mean.

Believing in God, because of my own logic, not because of theirs. My conclusions to my logic and feelings are my own. That they are simular to those of the cavemen in the Bibles, simply reinforces my own belief. I accept the 'truths' that I can, on my own, and I reject the things that we have learned in the last 2000 years to be untrue.
            Just because some of the things I believe to be true are also agreed to in the bible, doesn't mean that I have come to my belief based on 'because it says so in the Bible'.
            I keep this in mind always:

Humanities view and opinion of God will Always be possibly flawed, until the day comes when we can look at, touch and communicate with God at God's level. Many, many, many moons from today.

1. profile image53

Their is no logic in believing in the invisible and undetectable.

Of course they are, but not to the extent you believe.

They are similar because the bible is where you learned them.

No, you were indoctrinated into a cult. Anyone can see that.

But, you do and you did. Again, anyone can see that.

Ah yes, it's always the people in the future and people in the past that get to experience god first hand, while the present populace must endure the viciousness of and cruelty of the invisible and undetectable.

Mikel G Roberts wrote:
                Believing in God, because of my own logic, not because of theirs.

Q: Their is no logic in believing in the invisible and undetectable.
                (My logic takes me to where the proof ends, my faith takes it from there. Therefore logic is involved even if it isn't the only tool I use to get there.)

My conclusions to my logic and feelings are my own.

Q: Of course they are, but not to the extent you believe.
                (and to what extent do I believe?)

That they are simular to those of the cavemen in the Bibles, simply reinforces my own belief.

Q: They are similar because the bible is where you learned them.
                (I didn't have any involvement with any religion at all until after I was 13 years old. I didn't read any bible until after I was a grown man. Most of my conclusions were already my beliefs before I ever read a bible.)

I accept the 'truths' that I can, on my own, accept, and I reject the things that we have learned in the 2000 years to be untrue.

Q: No, you were indoctrinated into a cult. Anyone can see that.

(the atheists cry of PROOF, "anyone can see that." the religionists cry of PROOF "anyone can see that"... I am not a member of any church or religious group, I was baptized in the catholic faith when I was 13, I soon discovered that the Catholic church wasn't about God but about money, control and power. Though physically forced to attend 'services' mentally and emotionally I was not present.) 

Just because some of the things I believe to be true are also agreed to in the bible, doesn't mean that I have come to my belief based on 'because it says so in the Bible'.

Q: But, you do and you did. Again, anyone can see that.

(again the heralding cry of the Atheists and Religionists, "anyone can see that..." the phrase "anyone can see that" proves nothing, proof on your part is required to change MY beliefs.)

Humanities view and opinion of God will Always be possibly flawed, until the day comes when we can look at, touch and communicate with God at God's level. Mnay many many moons from today.

Q: Ah yes, it's always the people in the future and people in the past that get to experience god first hand, while the present populace must endure the viciousness of and cruelty of the invisible and undetectable.

(I thought you didn't believe God existed? Yet you blame an entity that doesn't exist for the wrongs in the world?)

1. profile image53

Uh fyi, logic is a system of reasoning, not a system of propping up baseless assertions.

To the extent of where exactly your beliefs originated. You appear to believe they sprung into your head and were then confirmed by the bible, correct me if I'm wrong here?

Isn't that placing the cart before the horse?

Unless you were living in a cave that entire 13 years of your life, you must have come in contact with many stories and versions of scriptures as most of our society is pervaded with them, how could you possibly not have had any involvement with religions?

I find that very difficult to swallow. Most likely, you heard a great many stories about religions when you were a child.

Then, I shall retract that statement. You are correct.

What religion isn't about money, control and power?

Such as what?

Retracted.

That is a fallacy. My reference to your god in these posts does not confirm or deny any beliefs on my part.

I could just as easily, for your convenience and dissuasion from using similar fallacies in the future, replace the word god with "that which has not been demonstrated to exist but is claimed to possess a great number of extraordinary characteristics including omnipotence, omniscience and the ability to perform physical law violating feats of magic and acts of unfathomable cruelty and destruction to anyone who doesn't worship and obey, and even some who do"

2. profile image0
                Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mankind has and always will suffer in the past, the present due to himself.
                When someone comes along to help people to "see" God, no one is interested.
                God has never come down and walked around among man. Except the way he still does, inside of people.

1. profile image53

Yet, we see more suffering as a result of religions than we do with the individual and the human condition.

When helping one to "see" things, one must actually show things.

So, we wonder where theists come up with the concept of gods when none are to be seen.

The invisible and non-existent appear to be very much the same thing.

1. TMMason profile image61
                    TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually the history of the 20th century disputes that thoroughly. Add the number of dead under, Stalin, Moa, Lennin, Pol Pot, etc. History has proven without a doubt. that man without a god kills far more and quicker than with a god..

History speaks the truth against that lie.

Godless atheism has killed more than any religion, tally the #s if you don't believe it. But stop propagating false facts.

Of course liberals cannot help but defend and heroicize dictators, communnists, socalists, and anything not Christian and not American.

It is just their motus operandi.

2. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What objectively is the best flavour of crisp?

What's a crisp?

1. DogSiDaed profile image60

It's a potato snack, maybe called potato chips over the pond?

I like bar-B-Q fritos, pringles, doritos...

3. Google Gal profile image61
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if your god and jesus are the real thing , then how come there are like a whole bunch of different religions and bibles?

The inability of humanity to comprehend 'all' of what God is. We each understand a very small part and then claim that very small part to be the whole. Each groups small part/piece may be correct, but our inability to join the other small pieces together in a greater whole causes us to make the assumption that the other concept therefore has to be incorrect.
        Politics and people using religions to assert control over people is another problem.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I see you have only 5 hubs - that are all about your ridiculous beliefs.

Your profile page is all about your ridiculous beliefs.

I have only seen you on the irrational beliefs forum picking fights about your ridiculous beliefs.

Why do you feel the need to justify your beliefs - even though you know it will cause conflicts?

Is this the ask Mark Knowles opinion, if you want it, forum...
      I'm not trying to convert you or anyone to my beliefs Mark, I'm just stating my beliefs.
      The Fact that the hub about my beliefs is full of my beliefs is confusing to you because?
      I'm not trying to 'Justify' my beliefs, I'm simply 'stating' my beliefs, and answering why I believe what I believe when asked.
      Conflicts are what my life is all about. I always was a fighter.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe I stated anything other than my observations of you as a lead up to the question I asked.

I never said you were trying to convert anyone. I asked why you need to justify them - which you do not seem to understand you are doing. OK

Thanks for playing. wink

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

2. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some peopele like conflicts , kida gets em off I guess

1. profile image0
        Star Witnessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And Starme (hi, nice to meet another star), your question--  Is that a red heart helium balloon in the car next to you?  What is the story behind that, anyway?

3. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Coke or Pepsi?

Mt. Dew please.

4. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Are we playing journalist interviewing new  Star ?
    lol

I don't know, are you?

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
        I pass !

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I got one. Are you still beating your wife? smile

Lol, she was always the one beating me.

6. Bovine Currency profile image61
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

Will gay people be let into heaven?  If so, under what conditions?

so we're awake ! big_smile lol

1. Bovine Currency profile image61
        Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  barely!!

its half 5 now!!!

I will leave a message for you ! lol

2. Bovine Currency profile image61

chat me on fb.

I don't know.
      I don't know that 'heaven' exists. I don't know what conditions may be revelent to admission to the place I don't know exists.

I Believe God created gay people, I believe God loves gay people. I believe humanity OVERrates the evilness/importance of human sexuality. I don't think wether a human has anal sex or not is on the top ten list of God's intrests.

Nice reply

TY

2. profile image0
        Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer to that question!

Thank You.

3. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Read John 3:16 in King James.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten so that WHOSOEVER calleth on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

You must be saved in order to get to heaven and salvation is open to anyone who chooses Jesus over the world.

Those Cavemen were nothing if not elloquent. (as if everyone in the United States hasn't been exposed to the 'Bibles'.)

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

correction (if i may). salvation has come to everyone. man has now the choice -as always- to accept that saving or reject it. It is no longer a question of having to be. It is a decision of wanting to be. smile

7. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Dear Mike,
    Could you possibly give me some advice? I accidentally stood on my friend's blow up doll (sorry in all respect her name is Norma Jean) with the heel of my stilhetto. It was dark and at first I thought it must have been a snake as I heard a distinct sssssssssss noise.
    However when I flicked my lighter on after getting around the child lock feature on it(an hour later), I realised it was indeed Norma. She is going down fast and her skin is quite akin to the texture of a prune.

What should I do? Should I perhaps visit the local bike shop and purchase a puncture kit and do a quick repair?
    Should I confess to my friend?
    I am in a complete dither....
    Your Faithfully but confused,
    Blondepoet.

You should forget all that, come over to my boat (with the stillettos on) so I can console you over the loss of norma.  lmao

2. profile image0

Are you sure you aren't the blow up doll?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh no Deborah, as you will learn, our BP is no blow up doll! A sharp mind, a keen intellect, a great entertaining writer who just happens to be hot as well! smile

I'm glad I invited her to the boat then...

2. profile image0

Oh..I was just going by the Avatar.
          Thanks, I will check out Blondepoets hubs

2. DogSiDaed profile image60

Are you sure you aren't a *Insert Insult Here*

8. moanalisa profile image60
    moanalisaposted 14 years ago

Back on topic here, asking Mikel, can you offer further advice to me to improve my hubs?

I wish I could, I'm not a professional writer. I'm not even a college graduate. There are some very smart people here that could possibly give you pointers. Good Luck, I hope all goes well.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

What in hell have the religionists done with the OT? I never hear from it. smile

I don't know.

10. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

what kind of stocks should i consider in the coming year: penny stocks, CDN, FOREX, etc.?

Stocks, aren't those them there thingies they used in the olden days to punish bad people, and allow good people to 'have there way with them'?

11. moanalisa profile image60

Ok, the way this thread is going, it's clearly enough to discourage any new writer. It seems many are too interested in self-aggrandizement and self- entitlement to remember they were once new people, too.

I was hoping this would be helpful, but many want to merely increase ratings by posting nonsense.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the OP said:

and people are doing just that - asking his opinion. saying people are posting in this thread to "merely increase ratings" or "posting nonsense" is a bit much, don'tcha think?

Try viewing hubs.  You are making a bright observation.  There are many just posting nonsense, for sure.  You may include me in that group, I'm not sure.  You will find your way smile

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

You may be right, I don't know, I'm here to post what I've what I've posted. I'm not here for ratings or ego stroking. I'm a new writer myself, if you want to consider me that. Which I don't. I'm just a guy stating his opinion.

4. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You'll find a great deal of that here in the religion & beliefs forum - just a bunch of useless crap, but entertainment nonetheless!

12. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I read the other day that Mary was born of immaculate conception, is this correct?

I have no Idea, that is the first time I have even heard that.

1. wrenfrost56 profile image55
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh well thanks anyway. smile

Your Welcome, sorry I couldn't help.

13. moanalisa profile image60

Yes, kindergarten mode seems the best description of the responses I've seen so far. Ta, tah...off to find something more useful. Thank you all kindly.

1. profile image0

smile
      Oh, boy...  I'll help you out.  These guys are just having fun, actually, and its nice to see a nonrancorous and kinda funny thread in the religion forum for a change.  You'll soon figure that out, a).

b), I'm a professional writer...  And I just checked out your hub on how to find a job.  I think it contains a lot of good information and is fairly easy to read.  However--you could improve it by proof reading a bit more carefully, showing consistency in the punctuation of your sub-headlines, and definitely by including at least one or two photos or illustrations per article.  You might also consider breaking up a few of your very long paragraphs into smaller units to further ease reading.

As far as SEO, it seems as if you included some valid keywords (did you do it throughout the article, too?).  I would have said gear the article towards teens in your title and introductory material if you are writing for teens, but I thought you perhaps you made it broader and less specific with SEO in mind.

14. moanalisa profile image60

Thank you Bovine and Cosette for your honest answers. big_smile Mikel, I wish you the best of luck...

...may God forgive you for your misguidance. ;-)

1. moanalisa profile image60
        moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess you didn't get my sarcasm there.

...or I thought your sarcasm was funny....

15. profile image0

well, i tried Lisa. as you can see, Mikel just wants to fun with us wink

on to the next thread now.

16. profile image0

Mountain Dew is very bad for you. so are Fritos and Doritos. wink

I smoke like a freight train too. Ride bikes, get drunk... You have to die of something, I'm trying to die of enjoyment.

17. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Mikel,

Since you're up to giving your opinion....check out this Hub and get back to me, and let me know what you think?

http://hubpages.com/hub/www-Do-Women-ha … dreams-com

I charge 50 dollars per review...cash...

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I can see that's a waste of money. But, thank you for not helping. You're kind. Enjoy! roll

Now, I guess the big question is did you even visit the site and read it? Did you?

I did and because it is Lyrics and she made me feel strangely aroused with the article, I'll give you this one for free...
          I found three things I would question.

1), keep it under the covers, sort of speak. Then there are those who have never

I would imagine she meant so to speak

2) Women can have wet dreams from the age of 14 for the rest of her life

A smaller study in 1986, in the Journal of Sex Research, found that 85% of the women who experienced nocturnal orgasm had done so by the age of 21. Some even before the age of 13.

I am confused by the discrepancy she states they start at 14, then later she says they can be earlier than 13...

3) http://hubpages.com/hub/wwwnofacecom missing the . between face and com ? the link didn't seem to work for me...

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your feedback Mikel, and this link does actually work, just look like it doesn't, would love your opinion!

This is what I posted as a comment to your article...

What a beautiful experience... I am touched by it and wasn't even there.

Some people would say you were lucky, so many bad things could have happened. I think it was more than it appeared. My belief in something greater than our selves, just got stronger. I would call your experience a living work of art. There is something in this experience... like a feeling of angels...

as far as editing, if you still want that too, just ask.

1. profile image0

Thanks so much babe xo

Your Very Welcome, and Thanks for sharing your experience.

18. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Okay, cool. Thank you for your input. smile

sure...

19. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Which leads me to the thought, if it is a belief system/religion then not having other opposing religious symbols displayed in government places (schools) could be deemed as supporting only Atheism. Therefore seperation of church and state laws would have to be amended. To whit: Having the religious symbols of Atheism, which are an abscence of references to an Almighty God, is unconstitutional as it violates the statues against the joining of religion and state... just a thought...

The way I see God is that God is Everything/Nothing, God is the coin, Everything and Nothing are the two sides of the coin. Atheists worship the Nothing side of God...oh wow... by doing nothing, by not praying, by not attending services, by not joining in communion with others and with God. They, like all Religions try to convince others that what they believe is true (so these attempts to 'convert' others to the non-belief might be deemed as a 'sin'?). It is made a Religion by the Dogma of professing a non-belief or by professing a Belief/Faith in the NON -existence of God. The religious symbols of this Religion are as I previously stated, the 'abscence' of symbols of a God.

And they too are a part of God, a unique 'Flavor', a piece in the puzzle that is God...

20. profile image0
    Star Witnessposted 14 years ago

And Mikel--I'm just curious--my question is why & how did you come by the unusual spelling of your name?  Also, why did you open a thread such as this?  smile

Mom knew i wasn't going to be very smart, that the spelling of M-i-c-h-a-e-l would be beyond my comprehension, so she made it easy for me mike and add an L... Mikel...was that nice of her?

The thread was created because people were asking my opinion in other threads and I was reported for being 'off-topic' when I was answering their questions.

***I wanted to say thank you for your help with the writing suggestions.***

1. profile image0

You are welcome, smile.

Reported?  OK, whatever, I guess.

So...since she is not answering...what is your response to the question I posed to starme (I think her photo would make a good short story, really!).

Reported (to HubPages staff) and blocked from further postings in the thread...

Starme may not be on now and may not be back for hours, even if she comes back she may not read the postings she missed in this thread... to contact her I suggest you go to her profile and ask the question there, or from her profile see if you can send her an e-mail.

1. profile image0

Hubpage staff is going over the top with that stuff.  Like I say, whatever.

And that was just a joke question about starme's photo.  Maybe I'LL write the short story, smile.

the smiley's help me convey when I'm joking big_smile (which I'm not right now [joking I mean]... big_smile big_smile )

21. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

LOLOL

The "Mikel asks his own valued opinion thread."

Dear oh dear. So - if no one asks you your opinions - you just go ahead and keep spamming the forums with them anyway? wink

"talking to ones-self is a form of communion with God"....or as you post, I was only stating my thoughts outloud to get it straight in my mind.

22. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

If the earth was flat....would maps be round?  smile

1. Tom Cornett profile image80
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Australia would be down over?  smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

23. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Because sex and sexual relations are controlled by women. Strippers and porn give men the illusion of control.

24. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Thank You so much for allowing us menfolk our delusions...

1. JesusYourSavior profile image58
      JesusYourSaviorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Peace my child, let not these sinners tempt you!

25. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Mike, how do you let go?  I mean emotionally whether anger or compassionate when the situation comes to a place of time to let go?  I am struggling with messages that indicate a place I no longer want to share given the signals sent to me but I can't let go.  It's like I am taunting myself when the other person could care less.  Make any sense at all?  Thank you.

Are we talking about a relationship? Or just about letting go of emotions/stress?

1. profile image0

A friendship sad

The act of holding onto something  is an elusion.
            kinda like tying a boat down with twine.  If it is still there in the mornin; it woulda been anyway.

1. profile image0

Thanks Jerami appreciate it.

You are welcome.  I think I know what your thinking/feelin

1. profile image0

you definitely seem to.

A friendship is a relationship... break ups are never easy. Friendships are probably what I'm worst at. I have never had a large circle of friends, for whatever reason. My personality isn't one that most people like. I've stated that I'm an aquired taste. Something about my personality brings out the competitiveness of people and they seem to always have to prove themselves better than me, Not an easy task. In the competing, the friendship usually dies. So for me, personally, I deal with break-ups and lost friends using the old adage, practice, practice, practice...

Yes, it sucks. I have gotten used to it though. Now I can usually tell within 5 minutes of meeting someone whether it is going to be a competition or not, and if it is, I sever the emotional connection from the begining, and just enjoy the competition. Unless your like me and have basically lived a solitary life, my advice probably won't be of much help. I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you keep your chin up. Things will get better, and you will find a new friend.

1. profile image0

Mike xo thank you you have helped me put my emotions and my situation in perspective and I am starting to feel better, and your right, there will be another friend. Thank you so so much big_smile

26. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

SOMETIMES IT AINT A MATTER OF IF  SOMEBODY IS DOING ANYTHING WRONG OR RIGHT.  Sometimes it is about; am I doin what I am suposed to be doin where I'm suposed to be doin it at??

I don't understand...

We should select a enviroment that we thrive in. We do not have the power or right to change the enviroment to suit ourselves. Never hurts to pack a jacket and a few matches to start a campfire.

Dude your absolutely not making yourself understood... I have no clue what your trying to say...

2. Jerami profile image58

I was referring to lyricsingray's situation...  I was reminder of a similar situation and may have gotten off track.The relationship she was speaking of just may not be all of what she is looking for. We may loose our hopes of a particular person fulfilling our needs/desires does not make them a bad person. It may be just the wrong time of place for this friendship to finish growing into something else. Keep the friend,can't have too many. Keep the eyes open, never know what we may see next.

smile

27. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I thought that  was a parable... 
      Just wanted to see if anyone understood it??
      Guess not.

Guess not.

Guess not..

28. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

someone was asking what prayers were...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Wishing-Upon-a-Star

29. marinealways24 profile image57
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

You guys argue too much. lol

Look who's talking...lol

1. marinealways24 profile image57
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I know, I was being sarcastic. How you doin?

I'm Good... You?

30. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

The highlighted part to me sounds like someone that has suffered a great tragedy. Someone mad at either God or the World. Someone disappointed by the abscence of a magical miracle or resolution to some past event.

1. profile image53

Nope. No tragedy here, not mad at your god or any other god, or the world.

Magical miracles are for children, Mikel. Are you a child?

31. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel G Roberts wrote:
      Mark or Jeffrey (whatever name you go by)

Q: Are you talking to me? I have never given my name here.

Mikel: Yes, but since that isn't your name how did you know to respond to the text?

1. profile image53

Uh, because you quoted my posts. Duh.

32. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Part of something Mikel said: What ever definition you apply to the tool 'logic'. Doesn't change the fact that it is a 'tool'. The other 'tool' I use is [b] Faith.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey said: One does not apply definitions to words that are already clearly defined. A hammer is a 'tool' also, but we don't use it to help understand the world around us just as we don't mistakenly use faith for understanding, either.

Mikel: Without the entire text the context of what I said changes therefore it no longer makes sense...

In the original use of the text your using...You were changing what I said by calling something I said untrue do to my lack of understanding of what logic was. I was explaining to you that I understood what logic was and that you however didn't.

1. profile image53

It's Q, not Mark or Jeffrey or Santa Claus. Would you like me to start calling you something else?

You haven't a clue what logic is. That's a fact.

33. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: Faith is the tool I use to as you say 'prop up baseless assertions', another way of saying that is 'support an unprovable idea/belief'.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey said: Yes, that is my point also.

Mikel: Faith in the NON-Belief or NON-Existence of God is just as unfounded as belief in the existence of God. Your still trying to use the lack of proof of the existence of God to be Proof of the NON existence of God. It doesn't work that way.

Lack of Proof does not prove the NON-Existence of God.

1. profile image53

That's a logical fallacy. You clearly must then believe in every single entity one can conjure from the imagination, do you?

Do you actually have an argument that hasn't been used before and isn't a logical fallacy?

34. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: Faith is the tool I use when my view/opinion of the world/universe requires me to come to a conclusion when there is no proof.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: Yes, you leap to conclusions of magic and mystery supported by the myths and superstitions of the bronze age when answers are not made readily available to you.

Mikel: Again the use of 'Leap to conclusions' could be replaced by 'make a decision'.

The second half of your statement must be to someone else. I make decisions using my logic to get me to where the proof ends, and from that point I use Faith to finish.

35. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: Your assumption, that since I didn't come to the same conclusion as you, therefore I had to have been brainwashed by religionists.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: I have come to the same conclusions that reality offers, nothing more and nothing less. Your conclusions don't match reality. Sorry.

Isn't that placing the cart before the horse?

Mikel: What same conclusions? Proof? Again Proof that my conclusions don't match reality? What conclusions of mine don't match reality? Proof?

Isn't what placing the cart before the horse?

1. profile image53

Your conclusions include gods and other magic, which reality does not exhibit. Simple, really.

again What conclusions? Proof? Show me the proof. Don't tell me it simply exists... show it to me.

1. profile image53

What are you looking for? It is up to you to show me your god. If you can't show me your god, how is it that your god is part of reality?

What are you looking for? It is up to you to show me proof of the nonexistence of my God. If you can't show me your proof , how is it that your belief is part of reality?

36. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Part of what Mikel said: Learning what I believe from a bible... You say is brainwashing...

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: Well, it certainly isn't learning.

Mikel: It may not be learning what you want me to learn, but the processing of information is learnig. Even if it comes from a flawed source. What you learn from a flawed source may end up be incorrect, but the learning is learning.

1. profile image53

And, how is learning what is flawed useful?

again that is a different point... your changing the subject to avoid the original statement (the statement two posts prior to this one , that you edited out from this reply).

But in answer, historically, knowing what didn't work (trial and error) has been a very effective way to learn what does.

1. profile image53

Fair enough, but if you continue to follow that which doesn't work, how is that useful?

Ah, I see now, you don't know what's involved in the 'burden of proof' - YOU make the claim for a gods existence, YOU provide the evidence for your claim. Simple, really.

Then, your example is pointless. You could instead look at the statistics for prisons and find them full of theists, if that helps you understand crimes and who commits them.

Again, if something is found not to work, why do people continue to follow it?

again Trial and Error, has historically been a very effective way to learn from what doesn't work, that which does.

37. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: Your doubt to the integrity of my answers is obvious, therefore I choose to not take offense from being called a liar.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: You may very well believe the lies you've been told. That doesn't the preclude the fact they are lies.

Mikel: I didn't say anything about someone else telling me anything. I said you were calling me a liar, and I was choosing to not be offended. Therefore your statement is about something completely unrelated.

38. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Part of what Mikel said: The existence of God.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: It isn't logical or rational to believe in the invisible and undetectable, nor is it a belief that hasn't been shouted from the highest mountain tops and deepest valleys throughout the world for many centuries, and even through bedroom doors.

Mikel: Proof? (that it isn't logical or rational to believe in the unseen or unprovable?)

Saying that belief in God has been shouted all over the world, doesn't prove anything. Nor does it prove that I, as a child, was influenced by religious fanatics and I'm just a big fat liar now for saying that I wasn't. Again your unfounded and unprovable belief doesn't prove anything.

Show me the proof.

1. profile image53

The proof is in the putting, sir.

1. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you mean pudding. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

(interesting discussion by the way)

1. profile image53

Yes, but I'm a golfer. wink

again repeating your unfounded beliefs using different words, IS NOT PROOF show me the proof.

39. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: Do you have any proof?

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: I have mountains of evidence, consistent results in my understanding and proof in my mathematics.

Mikel: show me.

40. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel: To what do you lay the blame for all the evils in the world?

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: The massive, centuries-old, never-ending, indoctrination machine we like to call 'The Abrahamic Religions'

Mikel: I don't know what 'The Abrahamic Religions' are, but if your referencing the 'Ancient/Modern' churches as a big historical influence of violence, killing, and torture 'IN the Name of God' then on this point I agree.

The first bible of Christianity was written in Rome Italy 300 years after the death of Christ, because of the violence the people wanting it were doing.

Christianity grew by use of violence... Christianity was enforced using violence.

Muslims use it.

Jews use it.

Atheists use it.

1. profile image53

How have atheists used violence? And, if you're going to cite communism or some despot mass murderer, make sure you provide the details as to how exactly atheism is involved.

an example, A group of Atheists are mad and beat someone (possibly someone arguing for the existence of God) as the Atheists are beating this person one atheist says, and where is your God now?... (proving that, at least to the atheist, God doesn't exist.)

1. profile image53

Ok, good example. Does this type of event occur on a regular basis? Does it occur at all? Do you have any real life examples of these atheistic beatings?

Personally I haven't researched it, but I'm sure however that the Police have records and statistics on such cases. And since I'm not trying to convince You of an existent God, and You are trying to convert me, the burden of proof lies firmly with you.

41. profile image0

is it "putting" or "pudding"?

42. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Isn't proving that someone is bald, proof, that hair exists?
    Not collecting stamps... I would say isn't a hobby. The prevention of others from collecting stamps as a hobby...could be deemed a hobby.
    So while I accept that my belief may be untrue/wrong, because it is unfounded. And I further state there is no proof to the existence of my God. Then why can't Atheists admit, that in a situation of an abscence of proof, anything may be possibly correct. Without proof to the contrary, it is possible that my God exists.
    Because that would mean Atheists admitting that it IS POSSIBLE,  that my God does in fact exist. Which is contrary to their unfounded beliefs.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha big_smile

i don't know why this strikes me as funny...the absence of hair where hair should be serving as proof of the existence of hair.

lol

big_smile

43. profile image0

smile

i had a sudden craving for Cheetos yesterday. i almost bought a tiny bag but resisted. wink

lol

44. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Mikel G Roberts wrote: But in answer, historically, knowing what didn't work (trial and error) has been a very effective way to learn what does.

Q or Mark or Jeffrey: Fair enough, but if you continue to follow that which doesn't work, how is that useful?

Mikel: Is this a round about way of saying a belief in God doesn't work? I find it hard to believe that you don't understand the concept of trial and error... That being the throwing out of that which has been Proven to be untrue. Proven being the important word in the sentence.

1. profile image53

I will no longer continue to respond to you if you continue calling me Mark or Jeffrey. I am neither and have no idea who you refer.

And, what have gods and religion proved to be true?

What have Atheists proven to be true?
        Why can't Atheists admit, that in a situation of an abscence of proof, anything may be possibly correct. Without proof to the contrary, it is possible that my God exists.
        Because that would mean Atheists admitting that it IS POSSIBLE,  that my God does in fact exist. Which is contrary to their unfounded/unproven beliefs.

1. profile image53

Nothing, what are they supposed to prove?

Science, on the other hand, has provided a great deal, in fact, everything you take for granted each and every day.

Anything IS possible, that's the point. However, by believing in the invisible and undetectable, we can conjure a great deal of entities from our imaginations. Are we to believe everything conjured from the mind?

Of course it is possible, just as it's possible leprechauns and unicorns exist, infinitesimally small possibility. The probabilities of a gods existence is even smaller.

If anyone states emphatically that your god does not exist, that there are no possibilities and no probabilities of his existence beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would tend to be on your side of that argument.

We can then both make the same argument for leprechauns and unicorns.

See now?

Lol, I always did see... And have stated many, many, many times that it is a 50/50 proposition. It is NOT more likely that God does not exist, it is NOT a 1 in infinity chance, it is a 50% chance.

Making a comment/comparison about leprechauns and unicorns is just a childish way of re-stating your unfounded belief that God doesn't exist. I understand your point, and your unprovable belief. Insulting me and my unprovable belief because it is different from your own, does you no credit at all.

1. profile image53

Yet, there isn't any evidence to suggest gods exist or don't exist, both are equally evidence free in that regard.

No, it isn't. It is a simple comparison of the invisible and undetectable that both share evidence free characteristics. We can make other comparisons that are equally relevant.

For example, if your god exists, please tell me if you believe all gods ever to have been believed to exist actually do exist?

I understand your fallacy.

I have not insulted you. At best, I have criticized your belief system, but I do understand a theists belief system is a very personal and passionate characteristic of their worldview and mindset. I also understand theists have a difficult time separating this system from themselves when engaged in these types of discussions.

It's not really so much a matter of your belief system is different than mine. It isn't. We are very much alike. The only main difference is you chose to believe in the existence of one more god than me.

And I am willing to admit that I have a 50% chance of being incorrect. But I've now grown tired of this dance, so let's leave it at that. My opinion is there is a God. Your opinion is there isn't. Q or Mark or Jeffrey, I hope your belief brings you comfort and peace.

1. profile image53

Why do persist in calling me by someone elses name? What motive has driven to you "believe" I am someone else.

Could it be the system of belief you choose to use rather than thinking things through? Notice how your system of understanding can be demonstrated to be flawed and self-defeating?

In other words, you allow your imagination to rule your worldview. Being wrong becomes the norm.

Honestly, because your choice of nickname becomes confusing in our discussions. People use the letter (Q) to denote questions in text such as this, it was a way of making sure other people later would reconize it as a name and not a symbol of a question.

45. profile image0

smile i bet there weren't more than thirty Cheetos in there.

46. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Hi Mike, what do you think men feel about women aging?  Is it secretly awful to them.  Men do age so gracefully, while women struggle with various means to keep looking young.

Ar women no longer attractive to their husbands and at what age do you think?

I've always wanted to know.

Thanks xo

I want you.

1. profile image0

lol lol  Ditto tongue

Lets do it then.

What's the weather like over there? tongue tongue

I plead the fifth.

1. profile image0

lol  Okay, Everybody does. hgrr. lol

47. Bovine Currency profile image61

Mikel, what is a pharisee?

I don't believe Wikipedia, I want your opinion.

That is as good as I can give you... I don't really have 'an opinion' of what is a pharisee.

Mikel, no opinion?  I must have misread the title of this thread.

2. sooner than later profile image61
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A Viper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisees

It doesn't mention snakes at all?

1. sooner than later profile image61

Matthew 3:7
          But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Cmon sweetheart, you can do better than that, surely!

I have read Matthew more times than I can remember.

Self indulged, self righteous- highly educated helpers of nobody with poisonous words, hence 'vipers'

Ooh ah, that really hurt!

Heaven forbid the educated helpers of nobody lol

I did not know you considered yourself a pharisee?

Apparently there is much you do not know,

including the transparency of your eternally fallacious logic.

48. Bovine Currency profile image61

"The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - robbers, evildoers, adulterers - or even like this tax collector, fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' Jesus Christ.

Good job, I think he describes what a pharisee is perfectly.

2. profile image0

Your name..Bovine Currency..You do know that means COW MONEY???

No Deborah, I am an idiot.

1. profile image0

You said that not me.
          I am sorry you feel that way about yourself.
          I am also sorry you hate people that don't agree with you.

Don't be sorry, I couldn't care less what you think.  I doubt we will ever agree because although I am a genius, I am not smart enough to lower myself to your level of comprehension.

I am quoting the above Mz. Sexton, just in case you forget how you brought this on yourself.

49. Bovine Currency profile image61

The lot of you whom claim religion.

Jesus Christ was crucified for standing up against the hypocrisy of the law makers, the church of his day.

1. profile image0

I don't claim religion. I do claim God.
      I'm not in the Christian faith,
      I do not claim to know all.
      And I am not a Pharisee.
      Obviously you are not seeing the deeper meaning of the Pharisee.

I am aware of your religion Deborah and accused you of no claim.  Jesus Christ was murdered by the church.  Your church.  You are a pharisee, you are a hypocrite.  If you have a different opinion on what the Pharisee is, get it out.  Otherwise, perhaps you should consider getting back in your box.

50. Bovine Currency profile image61

Cow is a female of the bovine species, did you know that?

Really, sharpen up honey.

1. profile image0

DON'T call me honey.
      I am very sharp.

OK it means Cattle Money..Big difference.

Tell me what degrees you hold??? NONE

Well whoopity do Deborah.  Whatever fine institution you did or did not go to, whoopity do all the same.  There are plenty of idiots in the world and plenty of those have an education.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)