jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Atheists, why do you debate conservative Christians about God's existence online

1. Kylyssa profile image98
    Kylyssaposted 3 years ago

Atheists, why do you debate conservative Christians about God's existence online?

Why not talk to reasonable religious people with power in their communities rather than debating with Conservative Evangelical Christians online?

If you dig deep, perhaps you'll realize as I did that it isn't the religion that is the problem; it's the jerks using it as power or as a shield. There's no need to convince anyone God isn't real. If you switch to educating people you'll find most mainstream Christians are horrified to learn what Conservative Christians desiring a Christian theocracy are doing. Many average Christians have never had those things even enter their field of awareness!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11951966_f260.jpg

2. Link10103 profile image74
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

The thing is, i rarely ever see an atheist whose sole purpose it is to convert someone. Its usually a theist that is trying to do so, and other people are just countering the logic and lack of evidence and such.

Also, i dont think the more frequent atheists of this site live in christian dominated communities were everyone is raving for a theocracy. Dunno though

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I know a couple of us live in highly religious conservative areas sadly.  Like you, I don't seek it out, but I will debate the radicals because too often they're the ones trying to change laws to fit their agendas which I find scary.

2. Kylyssa profile image98
      Kylyssaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say everyone is raving for a theocracy in the US.  Clearly some Internet Conservative Christians would prefer a theocracy which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have so much money behind them and if money didn't get to vote.

3. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

But Link, there are atheists online who wish to discourage others from believing.  In a way, that is converting.

4. Link10103 profile image74
      Link10103posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Who are they lybrah? Because the majority of what i see is people discouraging others from asserting their beliefs as fact, not telling them to just not have a belief at all.

5. Kylyssa profile image98
      Kylyssaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Debating isn't converting but it often turns into the theist demanding the atheist prove there's no God. There's no point because the sort of person who posts 'hey you arrogant atheists' or whatever isn't actually interested in your answers.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Ultimately there are two reasons why I respond to Christians online and neither of them have anything to do with debating god's existence. The first reason is the gut-reaction defense when I feel I've been insulted. Saying something like "Atheists are delusional" is a hostile generalization and I feel the need to refute it.

The second reason is the hope of conveying actual information about what atheists believe. There is a ridiculous amount of inaccurate information out there, much of which paints atheists in a negative light. By providing real information, I'm at least hoping to show how a real atheist acts and thinks.

Often times, during those two kinds of responses, a debate about god will ensue. But, I never come into these online forums with the intent to convince anyone of anything other than atheists are people too.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
      Billie Kelpinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm w/ u M.T., esp. the insulted part.  I DO find strong evangelical Christians, ironically, to be the farthest from what Christ's POLITICAL views might be. I feel offended and saddened by that b/c as an atheist, I LOVE Christ's social justice views

working