jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Do you believe in Karma? Or some form of 'what goes around, comes around'?

1. writerjrose profile image78
    writerjroseposted 3 years ago

Do you believe in Karma? Or some form of 'what goes around, comes around'?

Does the universe balance itself out? Do believe in doing right by your wrongs? Examples?

2. Wondering SLO profile image59
    Wondering SLOposted 3 years ago

I believe in right and wrong, but I do not believe in karma. I know that every action has a reaction, and when I hurt someone they are more likely to hurt me in return. But I think the idea that we are repaid for our good or bad doesn't hold much proof. Yes we get hurt and yes we do bad and good things. But in the end good people have bad things happen and bad people have good things happen.

I think all people are inherently bad, no matter how good we try to be our wrongs outweigh our good every day of the week and I am glad that I am not judged by what I do an that all my bad will not come around to me.

Hope this helps, I tried to simply give my honest opinion.

SLO

3. Sharp Points profile image97
    Sharp Pointsposted 3 years ago

I don't really believe in Karma, and "What Goes Around Comes Around" is true in the sense that if you hurt enough people eventually someone will hurt you too. I guess that is more "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

Unfortunately, I believe the universe is a very unforgiving place. There have most definitely been terrible people who had great lives, and great people who had terrible lives. Nobody can really say if their lives were terrible besides them though, maybe nothing went wrong for the terrible person but they were mentally ill from the lifestyle? Or maybe their brain suppressed those memories and adapted to the behavior?

Man life is complicated.

4. Sri T profile image81
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

No. Thoughts and feelings can be very complex. Ultimately whatever you do lives in your consciousness at some level of memory. But it may or may not surface or attack you if it was a bad thought. A person can also ignore or transcend the past. So karma is a flawed idea. It is not totally accurate or true. Nature can forgive, let go and release. In that way, no one is permanently bound or punished by past experiences, unless they think so.

5. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

I believe that whatever you do in life good or bad, it will come back to you. It might not be right away but anytime. Obviously if you do good to people, people will remember what you did for them and one day, they might do you a favour even if you did not ask for it. If you helped someone in need, they won't forget it. It might not be the same person you helped who will do you good but will be someone else. Yes, I believe in what goes around comes round or as you say "karma".

6. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

GALATIANS 6:7 "BE NOT DECEIVED, GOD IS NOT MOCKED, FOR WHATSOEVER A MAN SOWETH, THAT SHALL HE ALSO REAP."

1. Wondering SLO profile image59
      Wondering SLOposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What about mercy?

2. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You make your bed and you have to lie in it according to Gal 6:7!

7. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 2 years ago

Karma is a law like Newtonian action-reaction.

Jesus said that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword.

Numbers 14:18 tells us that the sins of the fathers shall be visited on the children 3 or 4 generations hence. This passage describes not only karma, but reincarnation, too. For it is only the perpetrator who pays for the sins they commit; not innocent children.

But this effect works only so long as we are attached to ego (self-concern). Ego is a physical cog in the universe -- a pseudo-self to which the spirit has become attached. In fact, ego is pure dichotomy. We see this in the passages of Genesis 3, with the tree of knowledge of good and evil. But ego is more than merely good-evil; it is also right-wrong, generous-selfish, wisdom-stupidity, compassion-indifference, and many more.

If you eliminate self-concern (go neutral on ego), then you are free of karma. But you cannot do this in a vacuum. You need to practice love of others as if they were yourself. When you do this, you help heal the world.

working