jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What Comes to mind when you think of the best character trait?

1. Carol Reed profile image77
    Carol Reedposted 3 years ago

What Comes to mind when you think of the best character trait?

I think a "well-balanced" character trait is the best, do you think this is uncommon or unrealistic? On the other end of the scale, what is the worst character trait you have witnessed and how did you react?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

The best character trait, I believe, is what the Buddhists would call, "Loving kindness."   It takes all other desirable qualities into account: compassion, empathy, understanding, wise counsel, helpfulness, generosity, inspiration - everything that is found in our greatest human beings. 

And, of course, such a person is "well balanced."  By this I mean their emotional quotient is stable, sensitive enough to be useful and not so sensitive as to render the giver into weakness or melancholy morbidity about the state of human affairs.   They would be realistic, yet spiritual.   They would exemplify, "Loving kindness."

Carol Reedposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you,Tom Ware, I like "Loving kindness."

3. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12236746_f260.jpg

I would think indeed a character in equilibrium would be best; however, I would include a significantly unique and extraordinary trait that come to mind (perhaps influenced by John R. R. Tolkien) precisely bravery inclusive of true fearlessness (no fear of death) and action (void of complacency).

Thank you, John Connor, I'm glad to see that you added, (void of complacency) because the  first things  that came to mind was being unaware of real danger, self-satisfaction & conceit.

4. Nastya Bronnikova profile image59
    Nastya Bronnikovaposted 3 years ago

Well, words like "well-balanced" or "harmonious" are a natural choice, but to me they sound like less of a character trait description and more of evaluting somebody's personality in general. If we have to pick one specific trait, however, I'd go for "open-minded". The ability to stay flexible, to work from multiple angles, to expand and alter your views (not uncritically, of course!) as you get new information is something I have an immense respect for.

Thank you, Anastasia Bronnikova. "Open-minded" is a great character trait to have because one with an open-mind can see and achieve great possibilities but can only being "Open-minded" stand alone and shine above the other character traits?

2. Nastya Bronnikova profile image59
      Nastya Bronnikovaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Er, well, I don't think it can, but the same can be said about any other character trait? Besides, it's not like anything in our person ever stands alone - we're combinations of thousands of various aspects that bounce off and counterweig each other.

5. profile image60
    Afogposted 3 years ago

I agree with Tom Ware. Love by far shadows all other traits. If you truly love, then you are an unselfish person. The history of the world and all its skirmishes and wars most of the time are the result of someone being selfish and self-centered. Love seeks the best for the other person. If we had more such people in this  world, we would not have a need for the six o'clock news. We can't wait for the other guy to start loving. It must start with each of us first. So this is the answer to both questions. Love versus selfishness.

Thank you, Krik Floyd. I agree with you and Tom Ware, I am glad you stated "true love," because there are different layers of love.  However some may declare "true love" but have selfish tendencies, which brings us to your "Love versus Selfishness".

working