jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you convert to a religion that your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend is part

1. jupiter90 profile image84
    jupiter90posted 2 years ago

Would you convert to a religion that your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend is part of?

Recently, actress Zoey Deschanel has converted to Judaism because of her husband (No, I generally don't care about celebrities and their lives, but I'm using this as an example). I'm just curious to know what the Hubpages community thinks converting to the religion of a significant other. What happens if you get divorced or break up with that person? Personally, I think you should only follow a religion if YOU agree with those beliefs and if you see that as the best choice for you spiritually.

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

I wonder if she converted out of belief or to be able to have children that would be considered Jewish by all Jews.
    Personally I wouldn't convert for anyone. I'm a Jewish Agnostic Atheist, hubby is Christian. No intentions of switching sides for his sake.
    However people may choose to switch for reasons other than actual belief. It's estimated that anywhere from 20% to 50% of Jews don't believe in a God. Being Jewish is about history and culture for many. I can see becoming part of a culture if it seemed to fit. To each their own.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12739028_f260.jpg

No, I would not join any religion for a spouse.
    Having said that I've noticed that whenever this occurs in Hollywood it's usually the person who earns the least amount of money that converts to the religion of the higher earner.
    Jacob Pechenik is a Hollywood producer.
    Kate Capshaw  converted to Judaism when she married director/producer Steven Spielberg whose net worth is $3.6 Billion.
    I suspect a lot of other women would have been willing to convert.smile

4. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 2 years ago

I would never convert to my spouses/gf religion to appease them, a persons beliefs should not be easily swayed. If I ever change religions, it will be because of something that, I believe.

working