Why are atheists so brave when questioning Christianity, but crap themselves whe

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Terrex profile image68
    Terrexposted 8 years ago

Why are atheists so brave when questioning Christianity, but crap themselves when it comes to Islam?

The 'art' of 'Piss Christ' and the 'hate crime' of disrespecting a Koran?
    Are theists just bullies who pick on those who keep quiet but cower and suck up to those who won't put up with it?

2. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

I had noticed that atheists here are more critical of Christians but figured that was because they encounter more of us. I do see your point.

I don't know if I'd consider it a hate crime exactly, but think it is wrong and pretty awful to destroy other people's holy books. At least Maplethorpe's art was something that belonged to him in the first place despite how he used it. To me it fits more along the lines of Charlie Hebdo which I think most liberals would agree is not hate speech, though both these examples press the boundaries of bad taste and insult.

I'm sorry you feel bullied by atheists, I don't, but don't particularly care they if they think I'm a religious nut. I probably am one from their point of view. I can live with that. Just turn the other cheek is my best advice.

Terrexposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1st point - I am NOT Christian.
      2nd - I was talking about Andres Serrano's work.
      My observations are based on decades of world travel. The cowardice of atheists is really galling to me, and I am ashamed that 'intellectuals' engage in it.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is the second line in the explanation part right. With the question it looks like it should be Atheists rather than theists. It seems a bit of an incongruity.

3. Terrex profile image68

@Erik: Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, I do not know how to correct the error.
      Can we edit questions?

4. Ericdierker profile image45

I don't think so.

5. Dean Traylor profile image92
      Dean Traylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, Terrex. You mentioned you're not Christian. What are you?

6. Terrex profile image68

@Dean. I love it when ppl ask that. It's the 'attack is the best defence' approach.
      I love not answering! Lol

7. Besarien profile image74
      Besarienposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for correcting me. I always thought that was a Mapplethorpe although I know most of his stuff was black and white. Art of the 80s is not my forte. When practicing tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher- the Dalai Lama

3. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

The answer is rather obvious if one can be bothered to think a little outside the box, not immediately play the victim card, and not make blanket assertions.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am often amazed at some of these questions. Can they not see themselves within it? Someone is obviously angry. Hint: specifics help: Who 'cowers' and how - or 'won't put up' and 'with what'? wink

2. profile image0
      roobposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Uhm I don't get what your saying? Are you afraid the terrorists muslims will kill you? Where as you can criticize Christians and they just say you are going to hell and let their God handle you? Explain please.

4. iggy7117 profile image92
    iggy7117posted 8 years ago

My opinion is that Christians focus on peace and forgiveness while islam will cut your head off or kill you if you do not believe what they do.

Atheists will give in to islam because they have no beliefs, and they fear the violent religion more.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

An atheist is an atheist no matter which god you're talking about (or which name you're calling them by). So how atheists view Islam is no different than how they view Christianity.

There are two key differences, however, in how atheists respond to Christians versus Muslims. The first is that, I'm assuming, you're referring to atheists living in the United States. Christianity is the dominant religion in the U.S. so it's only natural we would be debating that religion first, and the others second. I don't doubt that Middle Eastern atheists debate Muslims more than Christians.

The second difference is that Christians (the extremists) don't see the hypocrisy in their anti-Muslim rhetoric. To an atheist, it looks like they're shouting at a mirror, obvious to their own religion's shared history of violence.

If an atheist joined in with anti-Muslim arguments, it would just empower one side in a budding religious war, which is something we are fundamentally against. Islam may be a fast growing religion, but as of right now, Christianity still holds the power.

1. Ericdierker profile image45

Here is an atheist again lumping atheist together like a religion " So how atheists view Islam is no different than how they view Christianity." Atheists all believe the same way?

2. Terrex profile image68

@MTDreamer: Are you one oftnose people who cannot see a difference between Islamic extremism and the Christian 'extremists ' you refer to?

3. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sigh...an atheist views Islam the same as Christianity, as in both have beliefs revolving around a God that an atheist doesn't believe exists.

That first sentence sure is a sneaky ninja isn't it..

4. Terrex profile image68

@Link: I agree with the 'viewing' part. The question was what the do after getting that 'view'; rabid hostility with Christianity, obsequious cowering with Islam.

5. Link10103 profile image60

I have to wonder Where exactly in the world that you've traveled to and seen these cowering atheists.

6. Terrex profile image68

Funnily enough, they are everywhere.
      Of course, I would encourage you, if you truly are curious, to go to any muslim country and search them out. It will be interesting, and quite the walk on the wild side for Western atheists. smile

7. Link10103 profile image60

People being afraid to critique a religion in a place where doing so could immediately land you in jail or get you executed? Never would have guessed...

I was too hopeful it seems.

8. Terrex profile image68

...and not imaginative enough either.
      There are ways,my friend, if one is truly interested.Of course, the armchair atheist sticks with the easy targets.
      On the other hand,the lack of Western atheists questioning Islam... hmmm lol

9. Link10103 profile image60

Plenty of atheists question and deride Islam. If the number doesn't meet your expectations, especially in an area where Islam is the vast minority, I imagine there probably isn't much more to talk about with you.

10. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Terrex
      I've lived in Muslim countries and I never met an atheist there! Even the most secular folks there were amazed God hasn't judged the West for not accepting him. I did see Muslims take two steps back when Westerners said they were Atheists!

11. M. T. Dremer profile image85
      M. T. Dremerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eric - All atheists don't believe in god.

Terrex - The difference between Islamic extremism and Christian extremism is that Christians should know better by now. Christian's who have the benefit of hindsight and freedom of speech.

12. Terrex profile image68

It's an atheist's impression of 'plenty' I think. My question was a comparative, and if someone can convince themselves there is no difference, they do need to speak to ppl with different opinions, else they risk becoming as insular as some theists.

6. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

I wouldn't say they are! Titen Sxull who's an atheist wrote a good hub basically attacking fundamentalist Islam and speaking a lot of sense!
    The truth is a lot of Atheists are from Christian countries because we tend to separate faith and politics where with Islam you can't separate the two, the result is you can have a nominal Muslim who's happy to be known as a Muslim but is also an atheist, they accept Mohammed lived and taught good stuff but don't believe in God and don't really see a problem with the two beliefs!
    Most of the Atheists I've come across here have never been exposed to Islam so I wouldn't expect them to write about it.
    By the way I am a Christian who's spent time in the Islamic world.
    Lawrence

You wouldn't??? You quote one guy you say attacked 'fundamentalist islam', but why not islam itself?Isn't religion itself what atheists oppose? Why did iten Sxull chixken out and limit himself to islamic terrorism?
      Is he as timid with Christianity?

2. Link10103 profile image60

An average atheist should have no reason to oppose religion itself, but the negative impact it can have. Terrorism for example...

Anyone who isn't an oppressive idiot wouldn't attack religion as a whole when its clear it has its positive uses.

3. lawrence01 profile image64

Not as far as I could see! I've seen quite a few criticise 'The Abrahamic faiths' without singling one out. But most don't know what Islam teaches so they don't go there!

4. Terrex profile image68

Perhaps more 'seeing' is necessary then.
      Sxull's and other atheists' cowardly philosophy reeks of hypocrisy, and vice versa.
      If we blind ourselves to that, we have failed our own intelligence.

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

Once again, I will have to say that Labels are put downs, and they are meant in most cases to be used as a hammer by the speaker to nail down their opinion as the only way to look at something.

Making categorical statements about people just doesn't apply to the uniqueness of human beings.

These questions serve no useful purpose that I can see. Each side has their own values, and opinions. Neither side seems to have any desire on changing their views, and this leads to a lot of words and opinions, with little if any agreement.

Thanks for playing.

8. profile image0
    David Bucknerposted 8 years ago

They understand Christianity more than Islam. People don't want to look stupid when critiquing others.

1. profile image25
      Colorado Carpetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True. Outside of the USA people are more critical of islam. Christianity is more prominent in the USA and therefore gets picked apart more often. Hopefully all religions will fizzle out soon.

9. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

I have a theory.  There is power in the name of Jesus.  I think that deep down inside some atheists refuse to admit that God is real.  Something about Christianity just bothers them.  That is because He is real, and the spirit of Satan (and his demons) are spreading hate around the earth to discredit God.  People get mad when approached about Jesus.  That is Satan working inside of them. 

Nowadays people are afraid to criticize Islam openly because the liberal left is branding anyone who does a bigot.  Some are even trying to prosecute those who speak out against it.  Obama (Muslim sympathizer) has played apart in this. 

In my opinion, Satan probably loves it when people worship any god other than the true one.  So he leaves them alone.

10. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Bill Maher brought this up - it is safe to criticize Christians, whereas criticizing Muslims can get you killed, from Charlie Hebdo to the attempted attack on Pamela Gellar's "Everybody Draw Mohammed" contest in Texas in 2015.

11. B M Gunn profile image60
    B M Gunnposted 8 years ago

I for one, think ALL religion is equally senseless. Not all atheists are politically correct....only the annoying ones wink

1. lawrence01 profile image64

I like that (about being pc that is!)

12. mark kenga profile image60
    mark kengaposted 8 years ago

Most Modern Christians have taken a laid back approach when it comes to reading and memorising the scriptures by heart hence they can't fully justify questions about the bible clearly.Muslims on the other are trained from younger ages to understand the Qur'an in and out.

13. profile image55
    peter565posted 8 years ago

Because when we talk about Christianity, we are talking about the problem of our own society, Islam is talking about another part of the world, we don't really know much about.

Terrexposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Islam has been a distinct art of the American (and European) psyche because of the unending series of muslim terrorist attacks. It is very definitely a problem of our society.

14. Shadrack2 profile image42
    Shadrack2posted 8 years ago

Because its only the tree with the best fruits which is pelted with stone.

15. nnms profile image71
    nnmsposted 7 years ago

Christianity is more inclusive and tolerant than Islam. Due to tireless works of Christian missionaries around the world, more people are aware of the teachings and doctrines of Christians than Islam. Hence, atheists more often criticise Christianity than Islam.

Terrexposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Partially true, I suppose. But the situation is even more pronounced in muslim countries, so the theory doesn't quite hold.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)