jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Those who support democracy should they welcome the rise of ‪‎Political‬ ‪‎Islam

1. Khawaja Iqbal profile image70
    Khawaja Iqbalposted 24 months ago

Those who support democracy should they welcome the rise of ‪‎Political‬ ‪‎Islam‬???

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12899171_f260.jpg

2. LoliHey profile image57
    LoliHeyposted 24 months ago

Absolutely not, under any circumstances.  Those who do will later regret it.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
      Michaela Osieckiposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Christianity is highly politicized in the states. How is this any different?

2. LoliHey profile image57
      LoliHeyposted 24 months agoin reply to this

You are not forced to become a Christian.  I think Muslims would try to force you to convert, as they want to make a one world caliphate.

3. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 24 months ago

Now if I have this right, "political Islam" is the demand of the religious ultra conservative to impose those beliefs into the secular business of running governments.
    In general a religious component influencing government is pretty much healthy, if the governmental system allows for influence and yet not control. Separation between church and state is a good fundamental concept. But normally we see a religious influence on individuals in public office as a good thing. I don't think the US has ever had a proclaimed atheist in Presidential office. And it is still one of the best ever governments ever run by any people anywhere -- improvements sure could be made but 240 years of peaceful transition and consistency it is unmatched.
    So religion should have influence on folks but not on the government of a democracy. I know the distinction is a fine line but it works so far.
    So I think a rise in any religion can be absorbed by a democracy if it is not violent. Your question does not go to violence merely a movement.
    Another factor is that marginalizing such a group and movement is probably worse than the inclusion which will only reach a small minority.
    Totally different answer for countries without democracy ingrained and a permanent basis of stability within democratic society.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months ago

What does a democracy, and we are actually a democratic republic, have in common with Islam, political or otherwise.

It seems to be a contradiction in term, political or religious are two different animals.

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

No, because Political Islam denies Christians, Jews, and women equal rights.
    And it tends to mean one vote, on time, voting in a dictator or group like the Iranian Mullahs who never allow another vote again.

working