What do you think poses the greatest threat to our planet in 2016?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (46 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 8 years ago

What do you think poses the greatest threat to our planet in 2016?

President Obama has declared climate change as the greatest threat. ISIS has grown in recent years have engaged in a global jihad on innocent people around the globe. Ebola and other bio agents are causing death and outbreaks around the world. Iran is working diligently towards a nuclear weapon that may be used to start World War III. Our sun has periodic out burst of high energy flares that may affect our communication satellites and our energy grid. What do you think is the greatest threat to our earth this year in 2016? You can pick from above or name something else.

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

Unfortunately, I fear that some dictator or extremist will set off a nuclear bomb, setting off a series of devastating events that may change or end human lives forever. How grim a topic.

1. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Iran's mullahs are trying to build nukes, and they are calling to wipe Israel off the map AND want Armageddon to bring back the last madhi. That's assuming, though, that the India-Pakistan conflict doesn't go nuclear as it almost did in the 1990s.

3. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 8 years ago

I believe terrorism and the spread of ISIS to be our biggest threat at the present.  Our leaders don't seem to be taking this very seriously and that increases the threat.

1. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just heard from Bernie Sanders that ISIL is down to about 1/3 of the "strength" it had two years ago. They are definitely on the defensive. We are tons bigger and stronger than they are.

2. jackclee lm profile image80
      jackclee lmposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Belgium just reported a stolen nuclear guard's badge???

3. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can't believe everything you hear.  Obama told us ISIS was contained, remember?  They clearly aren't.  I still don't think we should underestimate them.

4. Austinstar profile image83

Belgian prosecutor’s office denies terrorist track in murder of guard at nuclear center https://www.rt.com/news/337276-belgium- … rd-killed/ Please don't reference rumors and spread fear.

5. profile image0

Not a rumor.  Obama really said that in one of his addresses.

4. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 8 years ago

Hate has plagued the world for thousand of years.

5. bluesradio profile image56
    bluesradioposted 8 years ago

Definitely hate and bigotry are a great threat to our world......and one we have been fighting since the dawn of time..

What specific threat are you claiming? Hate has been around since the beginning. Why is 2016 any different?

6. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

I think war is the biggest threat. We are more likely to experience war and a nuclear bomb detonation than any ramification of Climate Change. 

Anyone who claims Climate Change is the greatest threat is either trying to deceive people or are deluded themselves.  Come on, really?

1. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or they are a professional scientist who has spent their life studying the topic. But hey, why listen to experts. Let ignorance reign.

2. profile image0

Personally, I am more afraid of being blown up or suffering mass radiation poisoning than dealing with hotter weather and less land.

3. jackclee lm profile image80

Not all experts know what they are talking about. Remember Y2K?

4. Austinstar profile image83

You are 630 TIMES more likely to die from our own police than from a terrorist action. You are FAR MORE likely to die from a car accident than a terrorist. You are afraid of all the wrong things.

5. profile image0

The ? asks about the biggest threat to the planet.  Car accidents are not a threat to the planet.  You don't have to worry about the police if you obey the law.

6. jackclee lm profile image80

What can wipe out a third of the world population? That is the one item we fear most.  All other threats are minuscule in comparison.

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It was warmer in the 1000-1200 AD period than today. When the dinosaurs were around, no ice at the poles - and life was fine.

7. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

Arrogance.

The idea that the earth and every other species that inhabits it are here for us to recklessly destroy, rape and pillage for our own pleasure and convenience, without consequence, is arrogant. As a result, we have diminishing natural resources and rising global temperatures, and no real plan to stop doing the things that are causing them. We are effectively burning our own home to the ground, and roasting marshmallows in the flames.

The idea that we can create weapons that will destroy the earth many times over, and prevent them from falling into the "wrong" hands is arrogant. Their are no right or wrong hands. These weapons should never have existed. Just because you can make something doesn't mean you should.

The idea that one religion or ideology should be inflicted on all people is arrogant. Your belief system is not any better than your neighbor's. Fighting endless wars and blowing each other up in the name of God, or commerce, or democracy, has never, and will never, make the world better. It only kills people, and marches us ever closer to our own demise.

Arrogance is the greatest threat to mankind.

Our planet? It will quietly flick us off its face, and continue spinning, long after we're nothing but a bad memory.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Your belief system is not any better than your neighbor's." LMAO, so go ISIS, our belief systems aren't any better than yours, here's my head on a platter if that pleases you.The only thing nuttier than ISIS is lisa's world view.

2. jackclee lm profile image80

Lisa, with due respect, you don't mean there are no right and wrong and no good or evil? No standards of behavior? Your world view will get all of us killed worse than what we have today. Don't forget Hitler, Mao and Stalin has killed more humans...

3. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're only illustrating my point. You so arrogantly ram your beliefs, and your way of life, down everyone's throat, and, when threatened, use the vilest examples to make your point. You MUST be right. Everyone MUST live your way. Arrogance.

4. jackclee lm profile image80

Lisa, you are confusing beliefs with reality. You can choose to believe in the existence of God or not, the fact is the atrocities I referred to happened and it is our history and our reality. What does that have to do with a belief system?

5. lisavollrath profile image92

And you're confusing belief system with religion. Hitler was a fascist. Mao and Stalin were communists. These are ideological belief systems that these leaders attempted to inflict on as much of the world as they could conquer. All failed. Arrogance.

6. tsadjatko profile image65

So in your mind religios beliefs have nothing to do with reality &therefore everyone's belief is a fantasy and so anyone and everyone should respect every other one's fantasy.But an"ideologicalbeliefsystem" your word,shouldn't be respected.NUTS

7. lisavollrath profile image92

As usual, you're hijacking the comments on what I wrote, which you clearly haven't read, and putting your vile spin on it to promote your same old religious agenda. Be gone, before someone drops a house on you, too.

8. tsadjatko profile image65

How does one spin insane ranting,how do u spin"we are effectively burning our own home to the ground&roasting marshmallows in the flames."? Our home will be here virtually unchanged long after you've died&gone to wherever u believe,u hope

8. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12942527_f260.jpg

Why is this such a controversial question to answer? Any of a number of events could be catastrophic to civilization on planet earth assuming that life is the main concern of your question. Potential global catastrophic risks include but are not limited to hostile artificial intelligence, nanotechnology weapons, climate change, nuclear warfare, and pandemics all could cripple or destroy modern civilization.

When you ask the question what poses the greatest threat you are asking for an answer that isn't ascertainable unless one can predict the future, and in all these instances that is impossible, so it would be irresponsible to single out any one threat as the greatest which is actually impossible to ascertain... unless you can predict the future.

There is one place where the future has been predicted hundreds of times and without fail. That place is in the Word of God and the predictions are called prophecy. This a book of supernatural origin given to man through writers who were inspired of God by his spirit to reveal what he wants you to know. The Bible is estimated to have been written between 1450 B.C. and 95 A.D. There are at least a 100 scientific facts and principles referred to in this ancient Bible, but not actually discovered by humankind until later centuries. Dead sea scrolls, historical documentation, and word of mouth all confirm the authenticity of the Bible. People had no official knowledge of these scientific facts until more than a thousand years after the Bible was written.

Why not look at what the Bible says is the greatest threat to our planet.

Well to make a long story short, God already destroyed humanity once. Why? Because "Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. ... The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them."

I would venture a guess that the "wickedness of man being great on the earth" probably poses the greatest threat once again to our planet. From what the Bible says later, climate change or other catastrophes aren't happening.

"And just as it happened in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man (the end of earth).They were eating, they were drinking, they were marrying, they were being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark"

Good point but there still is a concept of what is the greatest... Yes we have been visited by many disasters, natural and man-made in the form of wars... However, some is definitely more harmful than others. How we feel about them is the question.

2. tsadjatko profile image65

And I told you how I feel about them. Explicitly.

9. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Islamic fundamentalism because:
    * if anyone is going to set off dirty nukes or bomb whole cities with massive pollution as a result, it is them
    * when fundamentalist Muslims take over, women are oppressed and birth rates go up
    * Muslims versus other religious and national groups are the root cause of nearly every war and conflict going on around the planet today, Sri Lanka's separatist efforts being the exception. The Koran even refers to non-Muslim lands as "The house of war" and calls all Muslims to fight until the world is conquered and controlled by Muslims with non-Muslims as second class citizens if not all converted to Islam.

10. RJ Schwartz profile image86
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

Democrats and their policies - they think the world wants to be friends and by opening our borders that will make things better.  If allowed to continue unchecked, America will fall and the world with it.  This nation has always been the great global equalizer and everyone around the world knows we can "bring it" if politics don't interfere.

1. tsadjatko profile image65

Well Ralph, you read my answer?, I'd say yours qualifies as resulting in the "wickedness of man being great on the earth" :-(

2. RJ Schwartz profile image86
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I try to post an answer before reading anyone else's so there is no bias - so I'm wicked too.....he he he

3. profile image0

Here here!

11. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 8 years ago

Religion. Religious people. Religious government. Religion.

Any religion or certain religion? Don't make the mistake that all religion are equal.

2. Bill Yovino profile image88
      Bill Yovinoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

All religions. In my experience, the more religious someone professes to be, the more hateful, bigoted, and exclusionary they are. I've come across a very few who are not.  Whether you believe in a supreme being or not, all religions are man made.

3. jackclee lm profile image80

Bill, your views on religion are more extreme than most. Do you think Hitler or Mao are better than religious zealots? Do you believe in the existence of evil or it is all survival of the fitest?

4. Bill Yovino profile image88

Studies show that atheists are more tolerant than Christians.  http://www.alternet.org/belief/atheists … christians

5. profile image0

Whatever study that is is BS to the highest degree.

6. tsadjatko profile image65

To begin with that link cannot be considered a real "study" it only addresses atheist's tolerance of Muslims. Not surprised at all atheists would be tolerant of Muslims or any other religion that promotes sinful activity which Islam does.

7. Bill Yovino profile image88

You guys are funny. From my own experience, religious people are the least tolerant and most judgemental. People who call themselves Christians are the least Christ-like.

8. jackclee lm profile image80

Bill, I wish you would lump all Christians in one basket. In any group, you will find some extremists. Most Christians that I know are very tolerant and believes in live and let live philosophy. They do not judge for they would be judged...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)