How many know the "Golden Rule"?What does it truly mean?Do you try to live your

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Sandi Kroeger profile image77
    Sandi Kroegerposted 2 years ago

How many know the "Golden Rule"?What does it truly mean?Do you try to live your life by those words?

How many grew up being told to "do onto others as you would do to yourself? Do we try to live by those words in today's society or is it all about "me"? And if you do try to live by those words is it because you always treat people with love, kindness, respect, courtesy, compassion, etc.? Or is it because you HOPE if you treat others that way, you will then receive those thoughts and behaviors in return?

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image75
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

See, I always found that adage a bit simplistic and missing a very important consideration - not everyone wants to be treated in the same way you would want to be treated.

For example, I'm an introvert with extreme social anxiety and I don't like being approached by complete strangers on the street/grocery store line/bus/etc, regardless of how friendly they are. If I'm going to apply the Golden Rule to people, then I'm going to treat everyone the same way I'd like to be treated - I'd leave them alone. No smiles. No small talk.

But that's obviously not how everyone wants to be treated, and I get that, so I think the Golden Rule ought to be revised as such:

"Treat others as they would like to be treated."

It respects their autonomy and agency as a human being, doesn't make assumptions about what kind of behaviors/treatment they SHOULD like, and is respectful of that person's lifestyle.

Sandi Kroegerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for offering up the "other side of the coin". I know it's simplistic but also it's saying to treat others as you would want to be treated. So if you like to be left alone, then that's how you treat others. They don't have to like it....

3. WordCrafter09 profile image73
    WordCrafter09posted 2 years ago

I was raised Catholic, so I didn't hear much about the actual Golden Rule ("Do unto others as you would have done to you" - which is different from the wording in the question.)  For the most part, the Golden Rule was in practice in our home, or at least that was the aim.  (My non-Catholic mother may have been raised hearing it, but she'd agreed not to share her religious background with us.)

Either way, most of us have heard it all our lives, and, yes, I do try to live it.  Also, I tend to agree with Michaela O's point about not everyone appreciating the same things.

There's a difference between treating people with respect and kindness (better than not, I suppose) and in actually respecting other people (and creatures), actually having a kind and compassionate heart.  Courtesy can be kind of iffy when people have different ideas about some "details" of it, but I do try.  "Love" is kind of tricky because it can involve a whole range of things and people and "depend", but if "with love" means (and it does) not being nasty or malicious toward others I can safely say I'm not guilty of "nasty" or "malicious".  I don't mean to sound self-righteous because I've at times unintentionally hurt someone/something (that's for sure).  But, I'm not malicious and don't just treat people with respect.  I respect them. 

It has nothing to do with hoping to ward off bad treatment of myself.  It comes from living in a loving, peaceful, and kind home in early childhood; but going outside the house, being talked down to or overlooked by strangers who didn't realize how "on top of things" even young children can be; and deciding that since someone who looked like me could be as grown-up and decent a person as I was (in spite of how little I was or how young I was) I needed to realize that no matter what someone else looked like, in all likelihood, they were as grown-up, kind, and decent a person as I was.

I could be wrong at times, but my choice was (while keeping in mind to be a little careful/cautious with regard to my own safety) to start by seeing others as "equals in kindness, capability, and strength" and respect them based on at least that much.  Having so often been met by people who made no effort to make me, then a little kid, feel more comfortable and "seen"; I decided when I was older that the way to treat people was to at least try to make them feel more comfortable and respected.  More empathy than Golden Rule, I think...    hmm

You're right... my wording off a little bit. But I think you got the gist of the question and it's a great answer. Thank you for taking the time to be so generous with your thoughts!

4. profile image56
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

When I saw this question, I have to google to find the definition of "The Golden Rule!"  The world has defined GOD'S Words in Matthew 7:12 as "The Golden Rule," which says "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."     

Did you note in Matthew 22:35-40 when the lawyer (tempting JESUS) asked {paraphrasing} (v36) "What is the greatest commandment in the law?"  JESUS replied (v37) "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  (v38) This is the FIRST and greatest commandment.

Now, I ask, if one "Loves the Lord with ALL thy heart, soul and mind," would they not read His Word and do as He has asked?   Easy - "IF" you love Him with a "pure heart!"  "Blessed are the "pure in heart," for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8)!

(v39) And the second is "like unto it," ("Like unto it?" Why?  Because "IF" you "Love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, soul and mind," read His Word, and do as He asked, it's "Easy" to "Follow "The Golden Rule!") Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."  (v40) On these two commandments hang ALL the law and the prophets~!"  NOTE:  Same as in Matthew 7:12 "...for this is the law and the prophets."

Religion has taught Christians should "Love" his neighbor (everyone) as himself," but Scripture's definition of "loving thy neighbor as thyself" is to "treat everyone the way you want to be treated."  (Example: Deut 15:9 {paraphrasing} "Pay one honest wages for labor!") Is not this the way "you want to be treated?"

GOD doesn't "LOVE" everyone, it depends on "your" choice(s)!  This belief defies Proverbs 6:16-19 which says "These six things doth the LORD "HATE:" yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Also, did JESUS' actions in Matthew 21:12 when HE "tore up the Temple" display "love?"  Again, it depends on one's "choice(s)" as to whether or not GOD "loves" one! 

Yet, we can "Repent" (Acts 2:38) and return to Him for "He desires no one is lost" (II Peter 3:9)! 

Consequently, when one "Loves the Lord with ALL their heart ("pure heart"), soul and mind," "Loving thy neighbor as thyself" is only one of the by-products of their "love" for GOD! 

Blessings!

Thank you Norine!

2. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome Sandi! 

Just want ALL to know Scripture because we are all so busy in today's world & MOST don't have time to read what is MOST important in our lives - "The WORD of GOD!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)