"Do we see things as they are? Or do we see them as we are?" Anais Nin

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

"Do we see things as they are? Or do we see them as we are?" Anais Nin

This quote of Anais Nin takes me to the woodcuts of Escher....what does this quote make you think off?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13051074_f260.jpg

2. Shaan.S profile image60
    Shaan.Sposted 7 years ago

I always have a doubt about this thing. What if my idea of color is not yours? I think one particular color say yellow is yellowish to me... whereas it can be bluish to someone else? My blue color is his yellow and what I believe as yellow is bluish to him but he calls it yellow.. tongue Crazy?/ hahahaha.. guess I'm gone crazy, hope someone understood what I'm trying to say smile

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes you are colourblind! Haha!  No seriously I think I understand..we colour our view with our unique set of experiences which may be the same or different to another-it just depends...

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

A very good question. I have a spiritual background. If I sleep poorly and do nothing to get my head straight for the day, I see the problems in everything. If I sleep well and arise early and set my mind through prayer and meditation I see the goodness in life around me. I see things through a lens of love.
    It is as different as night and day. Some days it rains and I stay inside and think what a gloomy day. Other days I go out in the rain and turn my head up and feel the cool water on my face. My attitude changes how I see everything.
    So for me my perception is totally the way I am.

1. profile image0

I too find when I have meditated or had a good night's sleep I see through a viewing lens of  expansion and  opitmism...i think it can be both but I would err on  the side of "as we are"....

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, How can u turn JESUS off & on just because you're tired?  I had surgery 2 wks ago, now cut under arm & breast. Does that chg my LOVE for GOD? I thank HIM in ALL situations! I'm here aren't I?
      Phil 4:11 "Whatever state...Thank GOD!"
      "LO

4. Jack Melrose profile image64
    Jack Melroseposted 7 years ago

It is my belief that we see things as we want to see them. That might be in the flavor of what Anais Nin intended it to be.

Human beings are often wrong because they don't analyze the problem thoroughly--they go with their gut feeling and consider the problem solved.

With that, we feel better about the solution, but that doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

1. profile image0

We can never be strictly objective because we have a Heart-we are Human. While we try to analyize and be discerning it can't be helped that a little part of our experiences filters through. But that is how we contribute to others would you say?

2. WordCrafter09 profile image64
      WordCrafter09posted 7 years agoin reply to this

What we think or feel is one thing.  What we see around us, or in others, shouldn't be the subject to interpretation if we're skilled enough with reasoned, objective, thinking.

3. Jack Melrose profile image64
      Jack Melroseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is a murky problem to answer, that's for sure. Ultimately, we have no way to be objective about whether or not we are objective. That is, we cannot analyze our consciousness because our only tool to use is consciousness.

4. profile image52

If we are "Believers," precisely why we should move from the "carnal" realm into the "Spiritual" realm to be "lead" (Jn 14:26) by the Holy Spirit who does not LIE (Numbers 23:19)!
      Yet MOST want to remain "carnal" & "Lean to their own understandi

5. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jack that is a very interesting truth.

6. profile image52

Are you guys "unbelievers?"  Is Jn 14:26 & 16:13 "irrelevant?" You'd rather hang on to your "teachings" rather than believing His Word? What kind of Christian is that?

5. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

Are you speaking "Spiritually" or "carnally?"   

If "carnally," we see things the way we are!"  Of course, you know man is in body (flesh) who has a spirit and a soul which consists of a mind, will and emotions.  What we have been "taught" or have been exposed to in the environment in which we were raised determines how we "perceive" things.  These attributes determine how we think (mind), what we desire (will) and how we feel about things (emotions) in the "carnal" realm.

However, if "Spiritual," it is the "soul" (mind, will and emotions or flesh) that constantly fights against one's spirit! If we are "Christian" and adhere to the WORD of GOD, we allow the Holy Spirit (aka JESUS) show us "the ways things REALLY are!" 

John 14:26 says HE (JESUS aka Holy Spirit "in my name") would "lead and guide us into ALL truth."  Therefore, if we BELIEVE, HE will show us "how ALL things are!" 

II Corinthians 3:14-18 "But their minds were blinded: for unto this day remaineth the "same veil" untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which veil is DONE AWAY in CHRIST.  But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their heart. (Preventing us from being shown how things REALLY are.) Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.  Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is LIBERTY.  But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are "changed" into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 

In other words, we cannot continue to live under the Old Covenant "WORKING" for Salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9) as they did in the days of old, for Christ has done it all!  Under the New Covenant, the Holy Spirit "reveals" ALL unto us and "changes us into HIS image" or "from glory to glory" and "leads and guides us into ALL truth" so we can see ALL things as they REALLY are!

1. profile image0

What would you do or say if Neuroscientists could access that part of your being we have called intuition or soul or spirit? and they put a "cap" on it and called it your "preverbal brain consciousness?" Is there still soul? Spirit? God?

6. WordCrafter09 profile image64
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

I think it can depend on who "we" are.  Some people make it a point to be good and sure that what they think and what they see is something they do some "reality checks" on by stepping outside of thinking that could be being colored by emotions; and getting a better reading on whether they're being as objective as they should be.  Then there are people who just operate from whatever happens to already be in their head, and they don't bother to consider that their view of what they think they see may be wrong, too narrow, out-dated, too poorly informed, etc. etc.

Or, some people see a small piece of a picture, or a small piece of information, and just feel free to fill in a bunch of blanks with their imagination.  They may see what they are seeing, but they turn what may be real/accurate into a whole, big, invented/created thing by filling in those blanks and calling that "what they see".  And, let's not forget ego incentives for erring on the side of what one imagines, rather than being more conscientious about drawing conclusions based completely or partly on what one is not even seeing at all.

1. profile image52

You should have "WAITED" (Acts 1:4) to see things (Spiritually) with the SAME MIND of JESUS CHRIST (Phil 2:5)! I Cor 1:10 asks us (Christians) to "Be of the SAME MIND & SAME JUDGMENT" which ONLY comes fm the Holy Spirit (aka JESUS)!

2. profile image0

A succint seeing...

3. WordCrafter09 profile image64
      WordCrafter09posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't talking about spiritually.  I was talking about day-to-day seeing things as they are, and people as they are, around us here on Earth.  I'm not one to think in terms of "Jesus talk" and quotes on HubPages.  If it works for you, great.

4. profile image52

Then you only have an "opinion" which all men have!

5. profile image0

Some communication wires are being crossed me thinks! Im talking about everyday life. And if you dont enjoy offering ideas or concepts around quotes..that's ok..but I valued your view points.

6. profile image52

Three Keys: I see how MOST think - "carnal" & is understandable!  But ALL need to prepare for the inevitable & is why I'm commenting mainly under the Religion & Philosophy Section in hopes MOST seek WORD!

"RESEARCH" - Eric!

7. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 7 years ago

I think we see things as they are in relation to who we are. Take sand. When your young, sand is something you play in so it's a toy (of sorts). When you're older it's something that blows around and gets into the house and electronic equipment and makes a general nuisance of itself. To a firefighter it's something to smother a fire with. In the end, it's still sand but it's also the toy, the nuisance, and the fire extinguisher.

1. profile image0

Yes..true too

8. wingedcentaur profile image63
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

The question, that is, the quote, poses an interesting challenge. Suppose we answer the question like this: We see things as we are.

How would we know that? It seems to me that this would entail that we would have some knowledge of "things as they are."

If we know, if I say to myself, "I am seeing things they way I am," wouldn't I have to know that there is a "reality" behind my self-serving perception?How would we test such a thing?

Perhaps the test (and confirmation) comes in the various forms of conception of "God." Wouldn't the variety of interpretation be indicative of the fact that everybody could not be right?

1. profile image52

Yes, "We see things as we are." from a "carnal" standpoint & "confirmation) comes in the various forms of conception of "God" but there should be no "various forms of conceptions of God!"  GOD has SAME MIND (Phil 2:5) & is ONE SPIRIT (I Cor 1

2. wingedcentaur profile image63
      wingedcentaurposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Norine! How's it going? I was thinking that is so true, we do see things as "we are." How else can we explain how notoriously unreliable "eye witness" testimony is during the commission of crimes? We see what we want to see sometimes.

3. profile image52

TRUE of "carnal" things!  Concerning "Spiritual" things, the Holy Spirit has ONE MIND (Phil 2:5) & is ONE SPIRIT (I Cor 12) which if "Christ dwells in" one, should have SAME MIND which is CHRIST!
      Otherwise, (as is) 33,000+ diff denominations in U

9. roselinsojan profile image60
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

We see things as we want to see them.may be one day it comes right ,the other day it comes wrong.

1. profile image0

Hi roselinsojan!....nice to hear from you... circumstances can lie in the hands of serendipty...

10. Boundless Amber profile image84
    Boundless Amberposted 7 years ago

This is my personal firm opinion: definitely we see things as we are. Malicious people see twisted things, and a person full of love will see beauty in everything. Nothing looks the same to two different people with different eyes. There may be some similarities, but the emotions and feelings triggered from something varies from person to person. Just like truth: your truth may not be another person's truth. In the end, to some questions, there are no right answers, and no one real truth. What you believe in is true to you; what others believe in is true to them. That's why we should never judge if we don't understand or believe in what they believe.

1. profile image0

Context is important to truth and having the willingness or ability to walk a mile in another's pair of mocassins increases understanding and tolerance. The poet Keats said-"truth is beauty, beauty is truth".

2. profile image52

"...and no one real truth" (Jn 14:6)? 
      Obviously, you're not a "believer" which is confirmed by your statement "That's why we should never judge..." (I Pet 4:17)!

3. Boundless Amber profile image84
      Boundless Amberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Norine! No indeed. I'm a buddhist. smile I strongly believe religion cannot divide humanity, and I respect all religions that teach love, including Christianity, though I do not understand your reference points as I am not familiar with the verses.

11. Rogers Olare profile image60
    Rogers Olareposted 7 years ago

Who we are determine how we see everything. I believe we tend to see things as we are instead of as they are.

1. Aamna sehar profile image61
      Aamna seharposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think so we see things as we are. it depends on what we want to see. If we want to see good things it would be good to us , but if we want to see its other side it would be different.

12. Breeana Gardipee profile image60
    Breeana Gardipeeposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the person themselves.  People see things differently.  No one sees something in the same manner as someone else.  We all see beauty in different objects, people, animals, scenery, etc. 
    I believe most people see things as we are.  Most people are blinded by what they are taught in society and aren't able to to see past what everyone wants them to see.  With society cramming everything they want us to see and believe down our throats, it is hard to be different and see things differently.  Those of us who don't stick to society's rules are able to see things are they are.  We see them differently then everyone else.  We see the bigger picture not just what is in front of us.  I may be going on babbling, but you asked what it made me think of..and here it is.

1. profile image0

Hi Breeana!  It is hard to see the forest for the trees when media, rules of society want to shape and streamline us into a set way of viewing. To retain some independent objectivity in some way is to see as things are. How to keep on? Is the key.

2. Breeana Gardipee profile image60
      Breeana Gardipeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I believe that as well ThreeKeys. We need to throw away the views from society and start seeing things as they should be.  As they are intended to be.

3. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think this is exemplified by the near anorexic appearance of models. Things seem to have gotten better but still there is that promise of the good life if you buy this or that. We fell into attaching beauty to the outside instead of the inside.

4. Breeana Gardipee profile image60
      Breeana Gardipeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Eric.  Exactly.  People think that everyone needs to look the same, they need to be skinny to be beautiful, or have their hair a certain style, or where certain clothing, or even say things they normally wouldn't say.  It is getting moronic.

13. helenstuart profile image60
    helenstuartposted 7 years ago

This is such a great question. I probably would have had a different answer for it three days ago. But what it makes me think of is what I've read a few times, That the Native Americans on the East Coast could not see the boats from Europe as they came in to dock for the first time because it was a phenomenon that was so strange to them. They could only see the waves change, and maybe like a couple of them could somehow "handle" the sight of the boats and tell the others what was happening. Who could know that? If anyone knows the source of this tale please leave it in these answers or e mail me. I have been seeing a psychiatrist since I was 17. The counselor immediately began treating me for what was still known as multi personality disorder. The psychiatrist declared that he knew my father, because he had met with him and my brother several times in my home town (about 100 miles away) described exactly what was happening between them and how my father was a sociopath, then offered me "something to get me up, and something to get me back down". I never went back because I knew the psychiatrist had been over drugging my sister's room mate, and I was terrified of drugs, plus I had Stockholm syndrome until I was forty nine years old. I know thats a lot of big jargon flying, but it's still hard to talk about incest. Psychiatry is a psuedo science, because they really don't want to deal with the truth. But I could remember only one episode of the sex and I even thought there must have been some excuse for that, surely. Some reason my mom saw and walked away, and then got mad at me even though I was four years old at the most. Otherwise how could I have ever not told someone? Now I am 51 and I have said it out loud only about ten times, Every time I say it, and I hate to, something happens. This time my personality fragmented. Even my "real" personality is two people, identical twins. So, yes, everybody sees everything as different, I never knew why I couldn't seem to learn new things and why it took such a long time to accomplish anything, or rememember a face. Everyone has a bit of DID in them, or everyone disassociates is what i might mean. Maybe everyone has a couple or a few personalities, I don't know. But I didn't believe in it. Even still don't know if I do. But they say its the Brain trying to protect you from something that would just about kill your body or your soul if you really were aware of what was happening to you. Those boats killed Indians.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)