Blind Trust and Faith...
Whats the basic difference between Blindly Trust and Faith in case of Religion? And why Religion is so important for Human Life. Can we imagine life without Religion?
I think that atheistic types have usurped the idea of blind faith into a very negative thing and in the Christian faith people are defensive about it when they should not be.
I have not seen the use of the term in connection with other religions. One can have blind faith. It is really nice to have blind faith.
I do not think blind faith is a religious notion but rather a spiritual one. A preacher would be out of work if he had a flock of those who have blind faith. They would have no need for sermons or anything else to do with a church or dogma or doctrine. Really truly pure blind faith would not even require reading or studying scripture. If you are blind to all reason and justification and worldly influences then your connection is unfettered and direct with God.
Now if you can get the benefits of a "religion" and not let the negatives influence you or be a center of attention then religion is really beneficial. Community, ritual, group prayer, songs of praise and love and making time for worship frequently is very important. Happy socializing is and has been proven to be very good for your mental and physical health. We are in fact social creatures and socializing focused on a loving connection with God is really good for you.
Can't speak for anyone else but I gather with like minded and faithful people in one setting where religion has no part. Just spirituality and it works just fine.
I will answer from the Biblical standpoint.
Faith is never blind. Biblical faith is qualified by Who that trust is in: Jesus. Faith always has its eyes wide open and focused on Christ. After all, if faith was blind, then I could have "faith" in anything that I wanted and it would be valid.
Faith means trust in or reliance on Christ, who is himself trustworthy. How do we know this? By what He has already done for us. How do we know what He has already done for us? By people who used their senses and recorded legitimate, historical eyewitness testimony in the Bible.
Why is religion important to human life? John Calvin once wrote that the human heart is an idol factory, meaning we, as human beings, are engineered to worship something. That something is our ultimate concern whether it be God, money, politics or science. And that's all religion is: our ultimate concern, which satisfies the desire of our hearts. One need not have god to be religious.
I will speculate and say that life with religion means life without an ultimate concern. Even folks who don't believe in God have an ultimate concern (e.g., science, evolutionary biology, etc.). This tends to suggest life without religion is life without humanity.
Couple of thoughts:
* watch Sargon of Akkad's "social justice is a cult" commentaries to see that just because there isn't a god doesn't mean you don't get irrational behavior and silencing of reason in the name of ideology
* from the Soviet Union to Cambodia to China, you had communist regimes replace God with the State - and killed 100 million people in the process. Eliminating religion doesn't end war or state sponsored massacres of the population
* religion provided a way to expand the family or tribe beyond immediate kin, which is why so many religions call fellow believers a family or siblings; political leaders often joined with the religious movements to improve their control of the population and legitimacy of their rule. The Koran mandates Muslims implement the legal system that privileges Islam and Muslims over all other faiths so that it pushes people to convert to the religion and enforces the faith through the legal system such as the mandate to kill those who leave Islam and death penalty for atheists carried out officially in Iran and Saudi Arabia, unofficially by mobs in Pakistan murdering atheists. End result - many states end up fostering religion to justify their rule.
* religion is associated with a greater faith in a good future, so the religious are much more likely to have children and larger families when they do than non-religious; in the West, the atheists are the least likely to have children. Most children inherit their parents beliefs, so the future seems to belong to the religious who have the most kids to be in that future.
* There is only so far liberal secularists can go by trying to convert the children of the religious through public schools, especially as the mainstream secularizes and the religious retreat to their enclaves. See insular Islamic migrant communities that actually took over English public schools and taught that Jews and Christians are evil. Christian homeschooling, too, is growing around 7-10% a year in the US for similar reasons.
by Cecilia 4 years ago
So any of you watched the new episode of Cosmos. ...It is encouraging doubt as a contrast to faith. It's not overly atheist sounding but it took a little knife, jabbed it into the three great religions foundational doctrine which is "faith" and twisted it ever so gently.
by paarsurrey 8 years ago
What is wrong with believing something by Faith?The wrong is that it is blind; while faith should be based on reason and wisdom; not a blind faith.ThanksI am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
by Cathy I 17 months ago
Is there a difference between true faith and blind faith?I think true faith comes from prayer and reflection and meditation, while blind faith is believing in an individual rather than in the Word...eg: The May 21, end of the world forecast.
by Roshan Sharma 4 years ago
Belief is to believe in something. It can be true or false. But we believe, out of trust, faith and sometimes because the world believes in it.Beliefs are the old thoughts, that sometimes you hang on in your life for generations. You have the power to make your own beliefs.There are two types of...
by Jeff Zod 4 weeks ago
Do you believe that Reason will triumph over Faith in the so called New World Order(New Age) ?
by Castlepaloma 7 years ago
Early Americans did not share the blind faith of today's fundamentalists. Faith" is a fine invention, with some skepticism. But can science and scripture live happily together without fighting. What story do you prefer no.1 or no. 21. There is all kinds of evidence for dinosaurs. We also have...
|HubPages Device ID|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Google Analytics|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel|
|Google Hosted Libraries|
|Google AdSense Host API|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels|
|Author Google Analytics|
|Amazon Tracking Pixel|