Is Blind Faith a Modern Invention?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (136 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 13 years ago

Early Americans did not share the blind faith of today's fundamentalists. Faith" is a fine invention, with some skepticism.

But can science and scripture live happily together without fighting. What story do you prefer no.1 or no. 2

1. There is all kinds of evidence for dinosaurs. We also have an immortal jelly fish living from 650 million years ago. We think evolution and most professional scientist are mainly telling the truth. Arts and cultures began 40,000 years ago, long before Genesis- origin, creation, or beginning of the earth.

Or

2. We have very little or no evidence to support the world beginning with Adam and Eve? Our planet began 6014 years ago, the story started with a talking snake from the tree of knowledge. We believe the bible is the Universal truth and knowledge and all human on earth can be saved from hell only by Jesus Christ, only 144,000.are sealed going to heaven.  Most everyone else are not aware of the bible. The Bible is the be all and end all. Oh!! Almost forgot you have free will, too,

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you know this?

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I build natural history museum displays and love to study history

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This does not prove your point smile In fact I would think that average American back in those days had more faith in christian god, as there were no other alternatives that people tend to believe today, like science or government. So, those who needed to believe in order to function, believed in christian god. smile

All that assumes of course you are talking about pioneers, not native americans - that would be a whole different can of worms in terms of their beliefs big_smile

The last 400 years, is considered new world Christianity. Still today Christianity growing all over the world as strong as ever as it has ever been. While attendance to church has been decreasing in Europe in recent years.

There are many variables of early American any population figure to its inception. Mann's estimate of 100 million for the Americas at 1491 versus 70 million for Europe. Europe's population suffered by new cattle-borne diseases whereas the Americas was not. South and Central America with its cities was far greater population than that of North America.

Columbus brought the Americas the first Christianity, piracy, gold rush and European slavery.

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Blind faith is not an invention it is a point of view a way of seeing things with spirituality.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Blind faith" is based upon a concept which is just: "hope."....period!
        QWark

I would give hope more credit.

1. qwark profile image61

Castle:
            Don't all "believers?"
            But when broken down, "hope" is nothing but a "wish."
            So? Place all the credit ya'd like in the "wish."
            One can't change reality...smile:
            Qwark

The reason I title this tread Blind Faith a Modern Invention because it’s not what the word translated as "faith" meant in Biblical times. Blind faith may be is

Hope is distinct from positive thinking and far more open ended than blind faith. The word hope is found in the Bible, 121 times in the KJV, and 159 times in the NIV.

Blind faith is faith without evidence, which would be superstition, The Bible does not call us to blind faith it’s foreign to the Bible Faith

I have faith in up, down and sideway there is reasoning to this belief.

Blind faith unable to see; lacking the sense of sight; sightless. 2. Unwilling or unable to perceive or understand. 3. Not having or based on reason or intelligence. 4. hard to see or understand.

1. qwark profile image61

I'm sure you understand, Castle, that the the bible has been corrupted over great lengths of time by interpretation into so many languages and by so many different people, (who have the ability to embellish with artistic license,) that there is not a shred of credibility in the words of either the old or new testaments.

The term "blind faith" may have popped up as human sophistication and language evolved offering a greater ability to study and understand the subject of metaphysics.

Regardless, "blind faith" is but "hope" and hope is naught but "wish."

Qwark

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was a rock band from the early 70s!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cnY5GxC7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

lady_love

Would you pick no. 1 or 2?

2. fits3x100 profile image58
        fits3x100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have that vinyl !!!
        The Dark ages...Crusades...The Inquisition...The modern form of slavery...I'd say faith without personal rational has been around for a while! And as for 1 or 2? My friend Castlepaloma...after some opinion and some founded editing??? hehehe... I choose faith smile but, only if I get to re-write the descriptive paragraphs!

fits3x100

Lay it on me.

4. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are we going into the evolution vs creation debate again?

Yes Science and Religion can live happily together so for me its 1 and 2.

pennyofheaven

I love everybody too,

I think Jesus was right, but the translations were wrong,

Basing my life on good sense, no. 1, makes good sense

We are at
        4 for no. 1
        3 for no. 2
        SO FAR

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

So does the majority rule?  Awww ok seems I'm a minority.

You want the earth to be both 4 billion years old and a little over 6000 years old, kind of a huge gap of time and here say.

Because I build many nature History museum displays. Governments will fund evaluation in schools, but not creationist myths, I can't float with you on this one.

Like I said in an earlier post. Before the greater and the lesser light came into being who is to say that the time lapse wasn't a few million years before time was created as we know it? If you think about it, since the greater and lesser light have come into being. Not much has evolved in the 6000 year old earth. Perhaps the mutations etc needed no sun or moon (no time as we know it) to evolve and the conditions that existed before the sun and the moon might very well have accommodated evolution.

The only two creation museum in the world, according to them the earth is actually 6014 years old, no light years or miller time.

One guy actually has a PHD,  meaning- Piled Higher and Deeper

in dinosaur do do

Ok so any one that existed before the moon and the sun will have that knowledge?

That means nobody really knows because nobody was really there to know by experience.

I go with more so proven knowledge a hand rather than blind faith with hearsay for that just not good enough until No 1 is disproven

2. the pink umbrella profile image74
        the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If every one is God, it all works out fairly in the end. Most religions claim only their God is super and truth, creates another never ending fight forever.

5. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
      Davidsonofjesieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the reason so many came here in the frist place is so they could worship God the way the Bible says to.Thats what made this country so great ,It was born as a light to the world so the world would know that he is God.

6. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you're on to something. Blind faith is a modern phenomena. The more we learn from science, the more difficult it is to stand behind religious dogma, so a discussion can degrade down to an obstinate ' we'll, that's what I believe'. Faith is not impossible to have while accepting proven truths of science, if you remember that all you have been taught on religion (assuming your religion is through the Bible, I haven't studied others) has been interpreted by man. I personally see no valid reason to argue against evolution, or the calculated age of the earth. The Bible does not contradict it. Religious leaders do.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many Believers believe it to be blasphemy to question the word of God (their bible) when in their bible it says to test the word, I don't remember where it is written but If I remember correctly God says to test him. To follow these instructions and see what happens.
          Something like that.

He never says that we have privilege to change the word by interpreting it to mean something other than what it obviously says.

We may not understand it the way it is written; but don't change it so that it fits the way we WANT to understand it.

Time for me to go out in the world and make a days wages.

1. profile image0

Yes, but who decides what is obviously there. The Pentateuch was given to a fairly primitive people. If you doubt that, read the Mosaic laws. So, you couldn't expect that level of mentality to follow much more than the way the formation of the world was explained. Imagine how many volumes it would take to just get past the first chapter of Genesis if God had decided to wait until now to reveal Himself to man.  And imagine how fast the ancients would have fallen asleep if someone tried to explain how to sequence DNA.  The first chapter of Genesis supports the concept of evolution, just not for the line of Adam.

I agree.  The generations of Adam not the generations of the earth.

Now I realy gotta go to work, .. later.

2. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I believe that the human race was genetically engineered by aliens from apes to serve them and mostly for purposes of physical labor. Then the aliens were gone, they went out of memory and we were left to figure out what really happened. smile

I saw the movie.

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ROTF You saw it, I believed it.

3. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Anyway, check out an encyclopedia of native American beliefs and the talking snake will appear to be pretty reasonable afterwards. Trust me. smile

Dose that mean you pick no. 2 ?

4. lucieanne profile image67
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Definitely no.1. It's been proved that the world is billions of years old, but that doesn't mean to say there's no creator. The people who wrote the old testament just put their own take on things. They obviously had no concept of time - which is actually quite astonishing considering that the Ancient Egyptians were experts in mathematics, and mapping the stars in the heavens. The three pyramids of Giza have been carbon dated to 10,000 BC which obviously predates the genesis theory, and 10,000 years ago the pyramids were perfectly aligned with the three stars which make up the 'belt' in the constellation of Orion, which would have been directly overhead at that time.
    (Fingerprints of the Gods - by Graham Hancock)

Half of American believes that the earth is less than 10,000 years old. That tells me most Christian believes in the date 6014 Genesis- origin.
      It dose not seem that both can not be true, yet it dose show me, you consider middle grounds of the two, in which is healthier than being one sided

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
        oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As true and good science is changing, many are not in keeping with the 6000 year old earth.  I am not sure that your number of half of American's is completely correct there, not as much as say long ago. 

Real truth will line up with the facts of good science.  What is scary is how much bad science is being practiced and believed...To me it seems a whole new type of religion almost.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Time cannot have existed as we know it to exist till the greater and lesser light were formed four days later according to the record keepers. So you would be right in that they did not have the concept of time prior to the greater and lesser light being created. So their take would be limited to what one day is. It could have been much longer than they were experiencing. God bringing light into the world of darkness seems to be pointing to the big bang. Which made the heavens (universe) and earth too... and all that is upon the earth.

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Castlepaloma wrote ...
      2. We have very little or no evidence to support the world beginning with Adam and Eve?
    = = = - - -

ME..
      That is correct. The bible doesn't say that, and I've not read this in anything that I have read. 
    --------------------------------------------------------

Castlepaloma  wrote ..
    only 144,000.are sealed going to heaven

- - - - - - - -

ME
       Again, I do not know where you get this information.
    Scripture says that 144,000 righteous people will be the  FIRST   to enter this other realm which many people call heaven.
       It is written that they did not die a physical death but were simply transformed, (what ever that means?  I do not know)

THEN, there will be an innumerable number of souls that are allowed entry into heaven.

That is the way I understand what is written.

6. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying about little evidence of the world not being with Adam & Eve.

Once Again, and Again, And Again...for whatever reason God has chosen not to be proven and from my point of view the bible wasn't written prove God but to give others hope.

The test of one's love is blind faith.'

Just look a young child placed on a refrigerate and father or mother says to the child "jump" the child trust that no harm will come to them and many children will jump when there's a real chance they may be seriously hurt.

The only natural fear you are born with, is fear of falling and loud sounds. After that, all fear are learn and earned, so you earn to trust your parents. I can't possible imagine a greater fearful image than learning to fear hell. Most people are more motivate stronger by fear than they are by love in our debtor slavery system.

I'm famous for doing many seemly unreasonable series of leaps of faith action. Yet there is always some degree of science and reason, and never totally blinded by faith.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think every generation has elements of blind faith...what we see today is more due to larger access to communication , globalized world making people be more and more clinching to their identities and in turn becoming blind believers than questioning individuals...

My brother is a pastor, he started 10 years ago with this crazed, glaze over and possessed look on his face. Today, there is this huge long list of demonic topics we can't talk about, like dinosaurs or g spots. What make him madder than hell are negative topics from the bible. I hope he finds middle ground on earth rather than spacing out on extreme happiness or eternal torture, it's like an addiction or drug.

Even though most of my waking is doing my art, I try not obsessing over it

dinosaurs or g spots...oh well dont get into that...devil floated those things to distract you and me from god lol

They are natural, just not in the super natural way.

hey i was just kidding...i doubt any one can ignore fossils ...some still do but deep within they too know that world is not 6k year old...

So I can put you down for no, 1

I've got

3 for no. 1
                  3 for no. 2

Tied, who will break the tie or go on to win and rule over the earth?

7. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

You can not very well name Blind Faith modern by any standards. Considering that Rock and Roll itself came into being around 1956, a band that had been formed in 1968 can easily be included in the pioneers' list. Besides, Eric Clapton or Steve Winwood have been at it, without a recognized band of course, long before 1968. And so,  Blind faith is very ancient and dead and buried. Fossils in vinyl can be dug out throughout the western world.

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Blind faith is no faith; faith should be based on reason,rationality experience and brilliant arguments.

Mainly a one sided brilliant arguments

9. Jerami profile image58

Castlepaloma wrote ...
    Half of American believes that the earth is less than 10,000 years old.

= = = = ME ... 
       I find that imposible to believe.
    Maybe 1000 years ago half the people believed the earth was flat?  I don't know.

Just my thoughts.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, early americans followed the Great Spirit.

The early american did not know Jesus until Columbus brought him over.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Jerami

Is it not every word in the Bible true, as the Bible is infallible. divine and irrefutable

Do you not believe USA today is 78% christians?
      Do you believe Genesis wrote the earth began in 4004 BC?

If YES, You must Believe the Bible wrote about dragons. Satyr, a creature of mythology creasure talking, gigantic sea monster giants. witches, sorcery and unicorns.

You believe the earth is flat. “four corners of the earth,” that the earth doesn’t rotate around the sun and stars and huge suns can “fall unto the earth

You believe in Satan tempted Jesus, But you can’t believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

10. Jerami profile image58

I kinda think that everyone has blind faith that our own concepts are correct, whatever they are.

11. Jerami profile image58

Castlepaloma  ASK  this of me  ...
       Is it not every word in the Bible true, as the Bible is infallible. divine and irrefutable
    = = = = = =
    ME ..
       I don't think so;  There are many problems where a word being translated from its original had numerous possibilities as to which word was appropriate in the particular instance that it was being applied.
    ===============================================

Castlepaloma  ASK ? ...
    Do you not believe USA today is 78% christians?
    Do you believe Genesis wrote the earth began in 4004 BC?
    - - - - - -

Me
      I don't know about the percentages ???  BUT ...
      I do know that the bible does not say that the earth was created around 4004.  This my der is an erroneous misinterpretation, fed by presumption.

The genealogy back to Adam as recorded in Genesis states that Adam was created (depending upon  who's calculations we are referring to)  was around 40004BC  or around 3700 BC.

There is no mention as to when the earth was created.
    ======================================================

Castlepaloma  ASK ? ...
    You believe the earth is flat. “four corners of the earth,”
    - - - -

ME ...
    Many times in the bible "The Earth" is not speaking of the planet, but an area either around Israel/Judea and in other instances it is applicable to the  region around the Mediterranean  .

So seen on a map it can said to have four corners. 
    ====================================================
    Castlepaloma  ASK ? ...
    that the earth doesn’t rotate around the sun and stars and huge suns can “fall unto the earth
    - - - - - -

I have no clue where you pulled this from ,   Where is scripture does it say this? 
    ============================================
    You believe in Satan tempted Jesus, But you can’t believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

= = = = = =

ME
    See answers written above this one.

Going to bed .. see ya in about 6 hours.

There is only two creationist museum in the world that I Know of.

Both say the earth began a little over 6000 years ago within 7 days

There are many people that say many things.

I feel that the world had to have been created one way or another;  …period.

whether A Big Bang created it or a God.
          Maybe God created it with a Big Bang?
          Maybe a Big Bang created God?

I really don't care which.
          I know in my heart of hearts that there is another realm of reality. And there is an interaction between these two.

I don't know exactly what God is;   But I believe that he/it abides in both.
           And when this physical body dies, I believe that we are then confined, for the most part, in that other realm.

And maybe there is a third realm for those people that don't want to get along in THAT other one which Christians call heaven??

Of course Christians are going to think of that other one as being in Hell.

That’s my story and I'm sticking to it.

Living in fear of hell is a great promotion drive

12. CertifiedHandy profile image59
    CertifiedHandyposted 13 years ago

Blind faith is not an invention. It is part of being human, therefore impossible to "invent". Everybody has faith. Faith has to do with convictions. Whether you believe in God or not you believe in something. That which causes you to believe in something is called faith and the ability or gift given to us to distinguish say between good and bad is called free will.

A person is affected by "blind faith" when unquestionly they believe in something because someone else believes in it.

In His Service

13. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

One should base one's faith on reason,rationality, research and revelation.

I am, in more so, agreement with paar except for the revelation part

Above all, Love

14. lucieanne profile image67
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

When I was a little girl my parents taught me that once a year an old man in a red suit would come down our chimney in the middle of the night and bring me toys for being good and being loved. When I was about eight years old my own common sense and logic told me that this man couldn't possibly be real (for all the obvious reasons) but even so, I wasn't ready to let go of the illusion. For some reason I wanted to believe in Santa Claus because the dream was better than reality.
    I think we've been brainwashed into religion in a similar way, but that still doesn't stop me believing in a divine entity (creator)even though I'm now an adult.
    What I object to is having religion rammed down my throat and being told I'll burn in Hell if I don't follow this or that.
    Faith should be a personal thing, and if an individual feels the need to have a relationship with the creator they believe in, then they should be allowed to do just that. But they shouldn't try and convert everyone else, just because a badly translated ancient book tells them they must 'spread the word'

Well, the earth, as everyone knows, is only eight days old. It's a BABY!

1. lucieanne profile image67
        lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL @ Druid

2. Druid Dude profile image60

Oh, and  Blind Faith is a band from the late sixties. smile

Oh, sorry. It says "modern invention". Thought it said "Mothers Of Invention" smile

Maybe Father Time impregnated Mother earth then their children went on and found incest acceptable but being gay was not fruitful enough.

Who dares to tell the story about the clergymen gingerbread house, protected by the church?

Not the kind of bedtime stories I would tell the kids

What did the group called blind faith, sing about?

15. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Blind faith has always been around:

The Vikings had blind faith when they set out to conquer places they've never been before.

Columbus had blind faith when he set out to discover America

Astronauts have blind faith everytime they sit in one of those space missles.

We have blind faith everytime we flick on a light switch that the power will be their at the lights will come on.

Blind faith isn't hard to see unless we're trying to make it be.

SpanStar

Those examples you gave basing what faith is, is not blind faith.

For faith, has plenty of steps or clues leading up to each bold step forward and sometimes leaps of faith. I know from pioneering two new industries and broke 21 world records in my art field’ It was by bold faithful step that  leads to odd leaps, clues with some some evidence.

One book claiming to have Universal truth and knowledge of the 99% unknown World and Universal is not faith, it's blind faith

2. SpanStar profile image61
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Castlepaloma,

I have no idea what you believe blind faith is but trust me all that I have entered is indeed blind faith.  You don't know for certain that power will always  come on when you hit that switch.  Columbus wasn't sure what he would find when he sail off to discovery a new world.

Still you have the freedom to believe as you like.

Columbus was aware of the Vikings visit to the Americas and also  through marco polo's about the chinese visit to many parts of the Americas At the time, most people believed the world was flat because of the bible and God's plan for 1500 years.

I built a museum display, featuring Columbus visit to the Americas.  He was the First to bring Christianity, piracy, gold rush and European slavery.

1. SpanStar profile image61

It is admirable that you are revealing history not taught in public schools years ago with your museum but history in the school books I was taught under clearly portrayed Columbus as taking a gamble on this quest of his which wasn't actually to find America but rather to find a shortcut to a point I  have now forgotten.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dear me. Still defending your irrational beliefs by accusing everyone of having blind faith in something they have seen happen every day happening today as being the same thing as gambling that you have chosen the correct Invisible Super Being, I see.

Why can't you see this just causes a fight?

The fact that you prefer not to do any research outside of what you were taught in school doesn't really constitute much of an argument for anything. Does it?

Columbus was looking for a shorter trade route to the far east. He was gambling on making a killing in that trade market because knowledge was jealousy guarded at that time.

Still is in some parts of the world I gather. wink

1. SpanStar profile image61

Mark,

In some strange way I'm guessing you provide hope for other people in that they are so glad they are not you.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can see why that thought would make you feel better about yourself.

Hey Mark!!!

Can I put you down for no.1

Don't make me guess

16. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

I think for anyone to have any religious belief today will have to involve a certain level of blind faith.  For people living centuries ago, before scientific discoveries showed the world to be billions of years old or before the science of evolution proved our true origins, then belief in the local deity would have been the only option.  When everyone believed in the same thing, and there was no scientific understanding then religious belief would have seemed logical. 

Now, this is no longer the case.  If people want to maintain their religious beliefs today, they will have either to incorporate scientific evidence into their religious view of the world, or else to deny it altogether.  Some Christians, such as those in the Church of England manage to accept the evidence of evolution and of the real age of the universe alongside their beliefs about Christ.  Other more fundamentalist Christian sects, especially those in the United States, have chosen to turn their backs upon science and to instead believe in their own creation stories, which have no basis in fact. 

In Europe, such Christian fundamentalism thankfully does not have a hold upon the public imagination.  Recent figures show European countries to have largely lost their traditional beliefs.  In the UK, only 35% of people believe in some form of deity, in Sweden it is 22% and in Estonia, it is only 16%  Religious fundamentalism in Europe now is more likely to be thought of as belonging to Islam, whereas in the USA is seems more evident from the Christian population.  Personally I cannot understand either way of thinking.   Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but to pretend that the discoveries of science have never been made makes evident that blind faith is necessary for modern believers.

1. qwark profile image61

Muldanian:
      Well put!...smile:
      Qwark

Muldanian:

Welcome to the forum, it looks like your thought a lot of this out.

qwark can I put you down for no. 1?

Muldanian , a maybe

1. qwark profile image61

G'mornin CAstle:
        In this virtual world, you may do just about anything you want  smile:
        I'd be honored to fit the #1 spot on your list of ?. Beats me what for, but hey, I'm not a complainer...smile:
        Qwark

3. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Muldanian, a good, logical history lesson. Well-presented for the most part.

Many American Christians, you say, "...instead believe in their own creation stories, which have no basis in fact." Zero basis? The Bible is not zero fact. So, there is a basis in fact. This may be a disputed fact, or a misinterpreted fact, but it is still a fact. The fanatical believers (fundamentalists) are not completely delusional, only partially so. True, they ignore science and accordingly court delusion, but their delusion is based on biblical fact.

Now, interpretation is a slippery slope, if there ever was one. If biblical interpretation is clearly ignoring reality, one would be delusional to continue following it. Oh well! Some call this "blind faith," but it is only "blind belief." There's no such thing as "blind faith." And most of the so-called "faithful" have never tasted true "faith" (from where all miracles are possible).

17. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

It was revealed to Martin Luther that the just shall live by faith rather then works.  Before that love for God was shown through works and good deeds.  The scripture does say, "we walk by faith and not by sight."

1. LeeWalls profile image61
      LeeWallsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

.... for we are walking by faith, not by sight.
      2Corinthians 5:7

I don't think Martin Luther was around when those words were uttered. I hope I have helped you.

Your brain envision pictures before you speak your words

How can words or faith come before your vision?

1. lone77star profile image71
          lone77starposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True "faith" is 100% confidence. It is perfect, without any shred of skepticism (doubt). It exists only in the discontinuity-bound realm of creation. This is outside the space-time continuum, and superior to it.

It is not oblivious to the details of reality, but has complete control over those details. That's how miracles are possible. Achieving such a state, though, is difficult for most humans, because they are so attached to their doubts. That's why miracles seem to be so rare. They don't have to be, though.

1. qwark profile image61

77:
            You offer so much to challenge!
            You write:

"Faith," to me, is 100% confidence. It is transcendent and perfect. It contains no hint of doubt whatsoever."

There are 2 kinds of "faith."

1. faith based upon empirical proof i.e. "On flat ground I have "faith" the earth will meet my every step." "100% confidence."

2. faith based 100% on "hope" (religious faith) i.e. "I have faith in god." "100% confidence??"

You mention "miracles." I speak English. Which connotation of the word "miracle" do you have ref to? If you speak of "miracle" as it relates to a supernatural'god," how can you have "confidence" in that which is metaphysical in nature?

Pls provide an example of the kind of "miracle" you refer to.

You state:

"The Bible is not zero fact. So, there is a basis in fact. This may be a disputed fact, or a misinterpreted fact, but it is still a fact."

That is "factually" an absolutely nonsensical sentence. "Fact cannot be: " disputed fact, or a misinterpreted fact."

"Fact" is that which actually is. It is knowledge of information based upon actual occurrences.

I am very curious about this: "I also enjoy spiritual things discussed rationally." Pls give me an example of this.

You comment:

"Only through spiritual concerns can we hope to understand what is beyond reality and superior to it."  What may I ask, do you mean by this statement and how would you know?

I'm not going to go thru your irrational and confusing comments and question each. There are too many of them.

Qwark

2. 2besure profile image80
        2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not Martin Luther King, Jr., Martin Luther

Martin Luther (November 10, 1483 - February 18, 1546) was a Christian theologian and Augustinian monk whose teachings inspired the Protestant Reformation and deeply influenced the doctrines of Protestant and other Christian traditions.

18. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 13 years ago

I love history, too. As well as science, logic and mathematics. I also enjoy spiritual things discussed rationally.

Could it be that there is no such thing as "Blind Faith?" Could it be that "blind faith" is an oxymoron? Let me explain.

"Faith," to me, is 100% confidence. It is transcendent and perfect. It contains no hint of doubt whatsoever. It exists only in the timeless (discontinuous) realm of creation. This is the state one needs to perform miracles. It is the true, immortal self awakened, as Peter was when he stepped out of his storm-tossed boat onto the Sea of Galilee to walk a moment with his master--before skepticism stepped in.

Such a state is not blind. It is unreasonable, yes, but never blind.

"Blind belief" is a different story. Too many believe things blindly and without understanding. This leads to confusion and tragedy.

"Blindness" is a form of "delusion." It ignores or is incapable of seeing reality. Too many of the religious live in this kind of delusion. The suicide bomber is one example. "Creation science" is another form of delusion or blindness. Let's face it: science has the monopoly on understanding physical reality. Only through spiritual concerns can we hope to understand what is beyond reality and superior to it.

Miracles require "faith" and perfect humility. Anyone with arrogance (ego) won't get to first base on this. Anyone with a shred of skepticism (doubt) will also fail completely.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you said it is your own personal definition as that is not anything remotely defined as faith.

They all live in that kind of delusion.

2. profile image0

I like most of what you said, but I'm not sure I agree that miracles require faith, unless you're saying you know a human that can perform miracles. There are quite a few stories of people of no faith changing their minds on the subject due to some thing miraculous happening.

Like who, for example? smile

1. profile image0

Francis of Assissi for one. If I've read the story of him correctly. The apostle Paul is probably the most famous conversion to the Christian faith, but you may argue his existence. I don't know exactly how much of the scriptures you might find bogus. I could probably name some others, with a little thought.

Yes, perhaps someone not over a thousand years ago.  lol

1. profile image0

modern times. Hmm. That's going to be a tough one.
              Miraculous conversion, obviously has to have been on the news, corroborated by the scientific community, documented on video, and reproducible in the lab. who wouldn't want the movie rights to that one.  I'm going to put my thinking cap on. It might take a while.LOL. Who knows, stranger things have happened. You're a funny guy.you make doubting Thomas look gullible.

I'm sure that over the many years and billions of people, you probably will find one or two. Like you say, stranger things have happened.  lol

1. profile image0

wow I'm glad you conceded that point. Very magnanimous of you, because I'm pretty sure there was no way I was going to find an example, meeting that criteria. But you already knew that.

That should certainly help you when deciding on your next claim. smile

3. Castlepaloma profile image75

Let me get my war math book out. Ok…

77 quoted

"Blindness" is a form of "delusion." It ignores or is incapable of seeing reality. Too many of the religious live in this kind of delusion. The suicide bomber is one example.

Castle- About 14% deaths were suicide bombers /mainly caused for survival of love ones. The suicide death rate around the world is higher than all the terror, murder and wars combined, caused mainly due to unloved people

Over One Million Iraqi Deaths caused by US Occupation (mostly families) Not one Iraqi person has been proven to kill a single American on USA soil.

77 can you tell me? is it not absolutely blindness that Americans had faith in their leaders, as the people were lead to believe their actions were in total self defense?

Score

No 1 , 5 votes
        No. 2, 4 votes

19. megs11237 profile image59
    megs11237posted 13 years ago

I vote for no 1.

I do believe in a greater force that is present in all things not to sound hooey.

I used to be a Catholic, and then protestant but I am deeply saddened by what has come of religion.

Your right about the blind faith. Twisted at that.

I especially like the "Since I believe in Jesus I am going to heaven and if you don't you will burn in hell. I am also going to twist Jesus teachings to mean that I should be cruel and uncaring toward the poor, and support free market principles in order to gain more wealth for myself". That is what a lot of so called Christians sound like lately. Mean,angry, indifferent, materialistic.

A belief in God is supposed to be about love and the bible wasn't a literal historical piece rather a guide to the teachings of God about the state of our soul. Rather than focus on loving thy neighbor and enlightening our selves it used to argue that we used to ride around on dinos. If God exists he gave us our smarts too.

This is for the people who will try to tell me that Jesus wanted us to have money and would be against paying taxes that support greater good and social justice, his teachings do not mention these things but  do advocate such principles-

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

I think Jesus was a very intellegent and spiritual man too, and one of the best teacher ever. It's just that there are too many wrong tranlations, like blind faith and I can't find it in the bible anyways.

Good read megs

Score

No 1 , 6 votes
      No. 2, 4 votes

1. qwark profile image61

Castle:

Why would you think that this jesus was an intelligent and/or spritual man when you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about him except what you read in the terribly corrupted words and stories of the new testament?

There is practically nothing mentioned of this jesus in the great works of the history of Rome.

The writers of history are imperfect humans also and who knows how much they also "embellish" their interpretations of history? They certainly weren't there.

Qwark

Yes, I don’t know of any a book that holds more contradiction than the bible. I wonder about some of the greatest men in History like Marx, Freud, Einstein Moses and Jesus who are all 5 Jews. In which who maybe had been sent to burn in Hell, for just being born Jewish, (such a wasted thought).

However, don’t throw out the baby with the dirty bath water

Still not belonging to any group I've learned a lot from taking notes from the best thoughts of many of the great men in history. I felt mystic about Jesus being strongly loving to everyone and that to me that is the most important behavior in the world, the Bible translations are too often wrong for me though.

Albert Einstein was NO Christian yet here is one of Einstein quotes

Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

1. qwark profile image61

Castle:

Yes. The operative word in that quote is "myth."

One may feel "mystic" about this "...jesus being strongly loving...but one can only "presume" he (if he existed) was that.

No one knows.

Only conjecture exists in "his" defense.

There is about as much crediblity in the ot and the nt as there is in the exploits of "Alice in Wonderland."

Qwark

True

I think of the Bible more like Lord of the Rings, lots more of the killing action.

Cat and the Hat, I like for fun, Wizard of OZ many can learn from.

1. qwark profile image61

Hahaha...good response Castle!
                Thumbs  up!  smile:
                Qwark

2. profile image0

I keep reading all these posts about the contradictions in the Bible. Not sure what everyone is talking about. Could you name one that you find most glaring?

Some contradicictions bits from my Save Satan hub

1. Faith alone can save Satan, Satan believes in God and if he changes deeds, he can go to heaven, same for Hitler
              2. Is Satan the root of all evil? Or is the root of all money? The Bible’s has 2000 discussion about money, that's 7X greater discussion than heaven and hell combined, mean wail Satan inventing job.
              3. Satan stump Jesus, just the mention of dinosaurs, the prankster Satan is always burring dragon’s bones.
              4. Mocking the baldness head of a bald headed priest.
              5, our guilt, check out Jerkin for Jesus website by just thinking about Jesus or by photos of Jesus. Are they not Guilty of Gay sex?
              6. Satan starts pondering on the web. Jesus quickly steps in to judge everyone, pray to save Satan he has a very curious spirit like the rest of us.
              7. Satan introduces Jesus to hell and the folk in hell hate Jesus. Jesus tries to convince everybody that he’s suffering more than them.
              8, Billions of the souls are being tortured for eternity only 144,000 are sealed to go to heaven. All because, God loves you. Why does Jesus specks more about hell than heaven?
              9 Jesus threatens his second coming if Joe Plumber doesn’t repent. Unconditional love maybe.
              10. Jesus was well known for his many magic tricks he performed in which people loved his act. But one day in Rome they crucified him for magic. Satan offered biological medicines, computers and planes, please forgive Satan for he has what you call "bad science".
              11. Wars get started in the name of God and ends up being blamed on Satan. Most people are killed in the name of God greater than any other reason.
              12. Satan knows what happens when you reject Jesus. He's lord God Almighty, you accept this or hate Jesus Shaman, in which many will say hate him, that can be found in just about every culture around the world.
              13 The first origins was a talking snake, who offered Eve a healthy apple. God forced Adam and Eve to wear clothes, and then their children made more incestuous families, the bible wrote about some porn, rape, gay sex, under age sex perhaps along the way. They evolved to being over fruitful breeders, some wine or weed along the way It turn them on so much so, they had children and their Children had incest and that has been passed to some clergyman, of today
              14. Satan gets accused for the majority of bad ghosts and demons. Why can't human be responsibility for their own free will.
              15. People want to kill snakes, trolls, rats, bats, and stump on any bug. God can’t watch all the gay, Jews, atheist and most others faith's go to hell yet he is all powerful and could stop it. Satan wrote the satanic bible with a larger fan base, all within the kingdom of heaven and earth.
              16. We are not allowed to beg or be tax free. We can't even love our parents most, Yet TV evangelist and churches can.
              17 Money is the root of all evil, because the riches country in the world (per capita) Vatican said so.
              18. What will Jesus do with all the atheists in the world? Some suggests dumping the entire atheist’s population in the swamp land in Florida. Force them to watch Holy Land shows three times a day in Orlando. It’s a museum that takes you 2000 years back in time, into the world of the Bible. ...Call it, Clash of the Fantasy Wars. For the very few atheists that survive suicide give them a lottery to heaven and forgive them by giving them a chance at 144.000 odds

19. Pray and love Satan to death, we are all beautiful in our own way, OR did God make everything perfect

1. profile image0

Good points, all; but I was looking for contradictory quotes from the scriptures. I really can't answer that many post questions. A few quick thoughts though.  No, Adam and Eve's children did not have incestuous relationships. God didn't condone the horrors in the Bible. That was the history of the nation of Israel. God was pretty disgusted with them throughout. Don't believe anything you see on Evangelist tv. I agree with you, Satan can be saved if he  truly repented for the atrocities of his past. Don't worry about the atheists. God is Love. He'll love them to death in the end and they will learn to love him. OK, the last one might not be right, but anyone who choses God, even after their death, will probably have the opportunity to redeem themselves. You're a good person, I can see that from your posts. God is not an angry super being lording it over the world. The scriptures repeat, over and over, his desire for man to chose Him. He doesn't want anyone dragged along behind an angry follower.

2. profile image0

Oh, and thanks a bunch. The fundamentalists will probably say I'll both in hell for some of that, but that's how I read what I find. I calls it likes I sees it.

People hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see.

I hear the music of love that penetrates my ears and I see kindness more than Religion yet never against anything.

Is Religion against anything?

1. profile image0

I don't think so. Man causes trouble.Look at Jesus. Read his words. He was good, kind, loving.  He said the two commandments that all law hinged on was Love God, Love your neighbor. If everyone followed that, we'd be all right. And if those who couldn't do the first would at least do the second, we'd still be all right. People get caught up in the Old Testament, but Jesus came to change the laws. I just try to go by the two he said were the most important.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)