Is Christianity doomed to fail?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (75 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

If not even Christians can agree on Christianity... then is it doomed to fail?

Do we need to simply let Christianity continue the way it is and once it is gone start a new faith?

In my opinion there needs to be 1 Christian church, 1 Christian Bible, 1 Christian Faith. If that can't be done then I believe that Christianity is doomed to fail.

I started another thread similar to this one but it was soon turned into the whole Atheist vs Religionist fight. So this thread for the record is not about whether one believes in God or not but is about how do we save Christianity,   if that is even possible.

1. JOE BARNETT profile image59
      JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well you have asked an age old question. if you read the bible then you will see that there are a number of things that just won't allow things to add up. and, if you ask 10 different ministers you will get 10 different answers. so , aside from people feeling a need to be part of a religion, i don't see how the religion has made it this far. god is a definite, i think, religion. . . . anybodies guess!but, a new religion requires a message from god or a comunicator with him. and i think our enlightenment just won't allow for something like that anymore. very good article

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. smile

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO.

YES.

NO.

Can you save something that is ordained of God? Man cannot do it. It takes God.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But SirDent, don't you agree that there is a huge amount of division and bickering within the Church. Surely there is room for change. I mean, like it or not, the Church is full of fallible humans. Even assuming the "Sacred Truth" of Christianity, it is as plain as day that there are many aspects of the way it is practiced by real people that, well, leaves a lot to be desired

1. OregonWino profile image61
          OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is, at its most basic level the desire to be like Christ.  At the end of the day it is a way of thinking and acting.  Christ was the TRUE role model and as long as there are those that believe that his teachings and the teachings of those who were important to the faith are worth preserving, then the rest of it is irrelevant.  Churches exist because of Christians, it is not the other way around.

1. Cagsil profile image71

Unfortunately, Jesus' work, the True role model, wasn't preaching religion. His teachings were not even religious related. smile

1. OregonWino profile image61
              OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that 100%.  Most religious people of any faith spend far more time preaching then they do practicing...that is probably the single biggest problem!

1. profile image0

I agree with this also but I have to add. Any message that is preached was first received by the preacher. If you go back to the Old Testament prophets, they all had to live the message they preached.

Now, wouldn't it be really nice, if we knew where humankind had evolved to, up to the point of Jesus' teachings? smile

2. profile image0

The Sacred truth of Christianity is Jesus Christ. Bickering is the way of humans. The main tenets of Chrisatianity are the same even though different denominations have different rules and rtegulations.

Jesus Himself said a lot of things that turned people away. One thing he said caused most of his followers to turn away from Him. He even asked the twelve disciples if they would leave Him also.

Maybe the question itself needs some looking at, ie., maybe there is a distinction between the (so-called) eternal truth regarding Jesus Christ and the possibility that one day there may be no-one left to believe in him if the Church doesn't get its act together (I don't think this will ever happen, but could it happen even in theory?)

1. profile image0

Let me try and show an example. Jesus spoke of the church as being the body of Christ. There is only one head (Jesus). The rest of the body is made up of parts. The hand cannot do what the foot does, etc. . .  Things may seemt o be out of order at times, but they are going in perfect order.

But even if we accept that the message of salvation is eternally true, for all time (I don't believe in this, but whatever, just let's say that this is the case), could there ever be a time, in any case, when no-one actually believes in it. I mean, even in theory. (I guess your answer will be that the End Times predict that the elect will be taken up into heaven, therefore there have to be some elect to BE taken up into heaven. Did I just answer my own question)

1. profile image0

You did give a partial answer. There is a time when none will believe it. We are coming upon that time right now. It used ot be even though many might not berlieve it, they would at least have a little respect for believers. There is very little respect for anyone anymore.

Hey SirDent, Why do you think that is happening? smile

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

You're right, there is very little respect for believers now (and I am guilty of this too, as I am sure you see from time to time).

So, I guess maybe we can "parse" this question into two threads:
                    1) Christianity will one day have zero adherents
                    2) Christianity will not have failed when this happens, because this was the plan all along.
                    How's that. How'd I do wink

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Christianity will survive whatever imperfect people may fall short on. Religions on the other hand are debatable. Christ was clear in the Bible that he has many issues with the churches, and I don't think that has improved.
        If Christians read our Bibles and do our best to be Jesus to the world - Christianity thrives. He said He came to divide us, seperate His own from the world. I think unity is unrealistic. Just my thoughts, Holly

Please note I did not say anyone else should think what I think, no one was called stupid or heathen, yet I stated my opinion.

Good point. I mean, we are talking African Christianity, Latin American Christianity, Korean Christianity, evangelical Christianity, Roman Catholicism, Russian Orthodoxy, and so on... Unity, indeed, seems like a fairy-pipedream (if that is an expression...)

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you want to save christianity?

1800 years of wars and arguments that continue to this day should have convinced any rational person that it is not a religion that is worth "saving." wink

Just take a look at some of the things this irrational belief system throws up. Once you jump to the ridiculous conclusion that there is an all powerful god, all sorts of people get the idea that they have some authority when they do not.

Hence the arguments and fights and usury of others. 

There is a very good chance that Christianity will bring about its foretold "final conflict."

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is the major problem with madness, it can fulfil itself. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

I have been trying to explain this to some of my religious friends. This is what the bible says:

1. Go around behaving like an arrogant so-and-so, telling people what to do.
          2. People hate it when you go around behaving like an arrogant so-and-so, telling them what to do.
          3. People will hate you.

"Self fulfilling prophecy," is what this is called. wink

Just so! smile

2. profile image0

Yea, I just set up my earthquake machine to cause the greatest earthquake the world has even known. Then of course I have a bomb set up inside a volcano to make it erupt and be the most violent eruption ever.

LOL

Sure - "Going forth and multiplying," and "having dominion over," without regard is not causing any weather changes.

Nor is continuing to do this likely to cause any "natural disasters." lol

But - well done on avoiding the statement I made.

Very christian of you.

Jesus would be proud. wink

1. aka-dj profile image66
                aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Contradiction!
                Pride is a sin. Jesus is without sin.
                So, it is impossible.

Thought you would have learned at least this much.

Sheesh. I was being sarcastic dj. I keep forgetting you guys do not understand irony. big_smile

Well, I was being tongue-in-cheek semi funny, semi serious. hmm
                    You might get to like me (a little at least) if you gave me half a chance and get to know me.

PS. That was what I was kinda hinting at when I made the comment about making peace with...you know...

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Stated.

6. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christianity will likely shrink to a point, then remain fairly constant, some denominations may almost entirely die off (perhaps Mormonism?) but it'll always still be about.  It may eventually end up with an almost underground status, but probably not. Only time will tell.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I can see that there will be more division among Christians but it will continue to fluorish,

3. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

There is a great clash of the negatives which will bring and end to this age or day and night and the dawning of a new age where there is no night and perpetual day.

Religion against religion whether they be christians, buddhist,  atheist agnostic or just plain unbelievers etc.
    Nation against nation, man against  brother.

This would bring the final great realisation of truth (christ).

Some would then inherit life by losing theirs for truth and others inherit their kingdom of darkness which they lived for.

Glad I don't live on that planet! lol

1. JOE BARNETT profile image59
        JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha i thought it was me!!!!!!!! ha ha ha  i could not understand anything

4. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

I'd be surprised. Hinduism has lasted for millenia. Buddhism and Judaism for 2,500 years. Islam for nearly a millenium and a half. And Christianity for 2,000 years.

I think these big religions are like successful species. They can adapt to many niches.

Even in the industrialized, post-Enlightenment West it is going strong.

Islam thrives in Africa, Asia, and the Middle-East. Even if it was originally spread by conquest, that was a hell of a long time ago.

Buddhism has figured out how to survive in India, China, and Japan... all very different societies.

So, I'd be surprised.

I'd be delighted! lol

Who knows. It could morph over time into something devoid of vitriol and poison. The United Church of Canada is like that (a mix of Presbyterians and Methodists). The Church of England is pretty tame.

...And there are lots of Christian theologians in the Episcopalian/Anglican tradition who try to take rationality into account for example...

yes I like all of that, and locally we have a huge input from many fine church people. smile
          The thing is, religion or not people help if that is who they are, and many work with the church because they are already well organised to do just that.
          It would work even better without religion though!

2. Unkotare profile image58
        Unkotareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you be delighted?

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are still some light within these religion  and this light is is the positive and longevity of them.

The time is coming though when all this light , the positive will be stripped leaving the negatives only and warring is the way of the negative.

5. Danny Decay profile image67
    Danny Decayposted 14 years ago

Christianity has gone from it's humble beginnings of that psychological desire to have a parent figure, that "someone watching over me" void that needed to be filled for a sense of safety, to a nightmare. This of course happening AFTER the development of a cognitive mind in homo sapiens. NOW, it has started wars, promoted the death of innocent people (the crusades, salem witch trials, etc.), pulled people into scams to give away all of their money, and produced an endlest list of registered sex offenders.

Now that we understand more about the world around us (the earth isn't flat, bushes don't talk to people), I think people will begin to doubt more and more this fairytale, and start thinking for themselves for a change.

Christianity (like the roman empire) is on its way out.

I do hope you are right, that would be logical and sensible.
      Religionists do not see the psychosis in the need of their god to be worshipped. smile

Hey Earnest, man you need to get some new lines. Telling people that what they believe in is psychotic? really isn't going to do anything, except get people upset.

I can understand, if there is a discussion to be had, and I know there is one to be had, but your continued "psychotic" wording isn't going to help.

Just a thought. smile

Well I reckon it is all about answering posts honestly. smile That is my take on it.

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

SirDent, Thank you for your indulgence. smile Much appreciated. smile

1. profile image0

You are welcome.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Well, alrighty then. smile

8. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

I don't really think it is psychotic to believe in God, even if I don't believe it myself.

I do believe in other things that cannot be proved, like human rights, for example. I also believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, and that I really am sitting here right now. Strictly speaking I cannot know these things for sure.

I do, however, think that some religious doctrines are simply illogical, ie., they contradict THEMSELVES.

But I do not see, theoretically, why you could not have a religion that was both internally consistent rationally-speaking, and did not contradict science and the evidence of our senses.

Actually, believe it or not, ALL religions are based on two things - (1) A Code of Ethics, and (2) A Higher Cause. smile

They don't need to make sense. Nor, do they have to have any cause equal to that of humanity, it must be a Higher Cause, such as "The Betterment of Humanity", it deals in everyone.

The definition I've given to you, is the business based definition, which covers any religions which accepts donations or gifts. smile

9. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

My definition would be :

- some kind of code of ethics

- a conception of the "spiritual realm".

I guess I don't have a problem with contradictions as such. I do take offence at ideas like the one that says it is ok to pray for the starving millions, ie. that this is AS GOOD as acting to help them. Or that an "all-loving" God would damn (in some sense) anyone but the most evil of people.

I also think that this whole evolution versus creation business is absolutely insane.

I am of the understanding that something is missing in the Evolution Theory which nullifies the Creation Idea, but then Christians will claim, in some way, shape or form, that God created Evolution, which is what's been happening lately. lol lol big_smile

1. profile image0

This is something I will never agree with or say. This is my opinion.

What I mean is that I think the IMPORTANCE it is given is insane. Jesus coming to earth, all of that, could still be true, in theory, without Genesis being true, literally. Man could still have inherited original sin in his monkey past (I'm ad libbing). Maybe it's because I'm not American. Just can't get it

lol lol lol  Why do you have to be American? lol lol lol

Hehehe.

What I mean is that the other countries I have lived in are not really having this debate. I mean, generally, Christians in other countries simply accept that state-run schools are bound to teach non-religious ideas.
              I'd have thought that Jesus' attitude to the Romans spoke volumes. I am sure he did not recognize their legitimacy to rule (no Jew did, I am sure), but he didn't try to influence their institutions! He just accepted that believers in God would always be outside the system, so to speak.

2. Cagsil profile image71

I have already heard it from some others. smile

I had generalize the "Christians" because, many from here have already made the claim. smile Nothing against you. smile

10. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Perhaps if the doctrine of Christianity was turned toward self transformation and not an external saving entity, then it's possible it will survive.  When Christians come to understand that they must go through a transformation process as was shown by 'Jesus' it may endure.  Otherwise the Rapture button will only lead to a big let down.

11. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

no it will succeed, of course

12. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

God is not about Christianity (read as "religion"). He is not about religion.
    He is about people!
    Save Christianity (the religion)?   WHO CARES? I don't.
    It may go away, BUT the message of Jesus Christ is eternal.
    A follower of (believer in)Christ is called a Christian.
    But, calling yourself a Christian does NOT make you a follower of Christ.
    Of course, I am well aware, that many here on H/P have NO IDEA what I just said! sad

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Organized religion of any description degenerates into irrelevance sooner or later.   The protagonist's teaching  is forgotten and the empty rituals overwhelmingly gain importance. This has happened to Buddha in the past and Jesus would soon meet the same fate(!). Buddha  is not followed in his land of birth any more. But individual  obedience of jesus' docrine is visibly discernible to be increasing in many societies and Christians as against Christianity will thrive.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

The Vatican is a Nation, a very wealthy one at that. As long as it remains there will be an organized form of Christianity.

14. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

As long as there is sheeps and shepherds
    Spots on Leopards
    Hands like rockets
    Of preachers in pockets

smile

15. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

As long as there are people who are easy to brainwash, then no Christianity has a bright future!

I guess you do not belong to any such group of people.
      How do you do that?

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With a little bit of magic charm!

The bibles a good read for the stories though, but I am not a follower!

16. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Would you say then that you have never been brainwashed?
    And I don't limit that to just religion?

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes of course I have been brainwashed at some point, take christmas if you are a parent, you may be brainwashed into buying certain types of toys your kids don't need, but because the tv advert says the features of it, I pay like a spending zombie!

17. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

christ will return soon and he is going to tell us all off.  especially the pope

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)