jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

After death, would you rather there be an afterlife or would you prefer that dea

1. savvydating profile image97
    savvydatingposted 12 months ago

After death, would you rather there be an afterlife or would you prefer that death be the end?

If you were given the choice, which would you choose---that your life be over and done with, or  that your spirit lives on?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13394653_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 12 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13394970_f260.jpg

I kind of like the idea of being "spiritually immortal".

savvydatingposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Forever is a long time, so I wondered....

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 12 months ago

This is a deep question to me. It may be uncomfortable for some and even frightening. Others it may not. I danced with contemplation, reflection, and introspection seeking to arrive at an answer. I call those three pondering.  So, I thank you for that adventure while ask for forgiveness of the answers length.

Anyway an answer, which may change, is I prefer an ‘After life’ while am not settled on what an ‘End’ means regard ‘Life’ with its meaning. For instance does an end mean nothingness? I easily can ponder what that means relational to an afterlife.

Sharing TMI (?) . . . or cause of pondering . . .

It seems to me we can only rely on the human condition, experiences, and obtained knowledge to answer the question. Seeking to answer has been a journey for me this morning, but really has been a part of my life adventure. To me we all experience death in our lives. I can attest to experiences with endings being:

Note: Insert here I share I did ponder the verses about dying to self.

** Near death experiences – nothingness, but did gain consciousness

** Anesthesia experiences – Ditto above

** Amnesia experiences – Nothingness with consciousness and incomplete memory recovery

** Death relational to relatives and friends while ponder the afterlife of the friendships – Human experience seen through human condition. Also, they continue living with any persons in spirit as long as there is remembrance?

** Death of a career, jobs, relationships, and such – Human experience and human condition

** Death of a current life due to major illness causing an afterlife, so Ditto above

** And, many other losses – Ditto above

I ask how do I learn from those and relate to an End and Afterlife. Of course, I can ponder religious text and scripture to gain meaning through those experiences as well as other sources of knowledge. I kinda think a question to ask is where do I find comfort between those two possibilities in this life now? With that I depart while continue the adventure pondering . . .

savvydatingposted 12 months agoin reply to this

tsmog....Thank you for such a thoughtful answer. It is noteworthy that  we experience many 'deaths' in a lifetime. When I said 'the End,' I meant that the spirit or consciousness ceases to exist. There is no memory. Nothing at all.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I kinda' thought that is what you meant for End. That is what sent me pondering nothingness and my possible experiences with it. Basically, consciousness is having awareness and an identity or self. Puff . . . gone without 'ever' recovering . . .

working