Religion: A Disease of the Mind?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (139 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 14 years ago

Here are my thoughts:

It's better to be Agnostic than picking a god to randomly worship.

"Hey, let's pick a random god to worship, say it's real, and not question its existence!". That's BS to me. It always has been. I've questioned things my entire life. You must question everything in order to be open-minded, have worth in your life and not be an automaton.

To say there's a god without anything besides an old book to back up your claims is stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It's no different from saying that Santa is real because "mommy and daddy told me he was!".

Agnosticism is the best "religion". You don't even have to fully stop believing a god; you can just question its existence. I personally don't believe in Atheism since Atheists claim that they know there is no god, but determining that is impossible. The chances of there being a god are implausible - not impossible. You must remember that brains are mere decoders. We humans can only observe what we were "meant" to decode.

I consider religion as being a disease of the mind. I talk to religious people like I would any other person - I just choose not to contract their "disease". I'll be friends with a person with AIDS; I'll just not make the same mistakes they made. Same thing with religious people. I don't want to be diseased. Why? Because diseases suck.

That's what religion is to me - willingly deciding to contract a disease.

I don't have to elaborate on why I think religion is a disease of the mind. It should be clear. If not, you're likely already diseased. There's no cure for AIDS just like there's no cure for religious fanaticism.

1. profile image48
      The Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Untrue.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't think religious worship is a "disease of the mind". it's people having faith. but i do wonder why some man on a street corner who passionately believes in, say, leprechauns, who are unseen, is considered insane but another person on a street corner who believes in God, also unseen, is considered perfectly normal. is it because one percent of people might believe in leprechauns and 90 percent might believe in God? there's people on this forum who swear they talk to God, and others who swear they actually met God and no one calls them crazy.

1. Rayalternately profile image61
        Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you're trying to claim that leprechauns aren't real are you? Where's your evidence? big_smile

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
          Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Its fine to be born into a religion but not to die in one "Swami Vivekananda

4. terced ojos profile image60
      terced ojosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean and exactly why you perceive religious people the way you do.  I am a Christian man and I often have the same thoughts as you. 

I have been in the presence of God on two occasions where he made himself known to me.

I have had countless dreams and a couple of visions wherein God asked me to take action or showed me something that was going to come to pass.

I'm often miffed at why God doesn't just show himself more readily to people. I've asked God repeatedly why he's so forthcoming to some and not to others.

I know I'm perceived as crazy but I remember before having those spiritual experiences that I thought Christians were crazy too.

It was all very funny until it happened to me and then I became "one of those crazy Christians."

Still I feel for you because I remember how I was before I contracted the "disease."   LOL.....

You ever see things in the course of your life and not know that one day the person you are looking at and making a judgement about is going to be you?

Funny what life experience and wisdom can bring.

My young sons on occasion will make fun of homeless people or beggars on the street.  I look at homeless people and beggars and I think within myself  "i might be looking at myself somewhere in the future"...I might be that beggar or that homeless man asking for spare change and not even realize that im looking at myself.

I try to communicate this to my children but when you're young a lot of things are unfathomable.

In any case Blatva your hub is very good.  Very well written and I will pray that God infects you in a very personal way. Perhaps you will one day be one of "them" or "us". ...LOL...

Sincerely

Crazy Christian Guy who used to be a sane and generally moral person.

5. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not pick a random god. In fact, God chose me. Of course He chooses everyone, but many will not accept Him.

I knew very little about what is written in that old book you talk about. I had a very personal revelation that was for me and only me. God cannot be contained in a book, but yet God can make Himself known through a book.

Agnosticism doesn't have anything set in stone.  What I mean is there is no foundation under it. It is built upon man's desire to not know the real truth.

No cure for AIDS which is a manmade disease is the best reason I ever read for not believing in God. NOT! I suggesat taking a good long look at yourself and then come back and tell me how perfect you are in every way.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought your god created everything? That would include aids.
        Funny how some religionists argue that god made aids to punish the "sinners" smile

1. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Though God is the God of all living he did not directly create all things: i.e.: The Mule is the offspring of the artificially inseminated female horse with the male donkey sperm.  By nature because of the size of a donkey compared to a horse, it is virtually impossible for them to mate naturally,  unless they use the missionary position (joke ha-ha). Because of its small size, the female donkey, by nature cannot be impregnated by a male horse.  (a donkey could not give birth to a large baby mule) Once the baby of a female horse and male donkey is born, it is a third animal (Mule) but is sterile and can't have offspring by mating with each other.  Manmade creation.

Though no one really knows where aids originally came from
          African Monkey's has SIV which kills them with other diseases the same as aids kills humans.
          African people carry  HIV-2 and  the U.S.A.  and other countries have HIV-1. which is the deadly one.  There are many theories of how Aids started. Once it was believed HIV started because Pygmies ate the organs of monkeys. However, the blood would have to enter the bloodstream through cuts and abrasions.
          There is also the theory that Africans (HIV originated from Africa) may have had sex with monkeys, contracting the SIV virus which mutated into HIV. 
          This is why man was instructed not to lie down (have sex) with animals.

There is a theory that gonorrhea came from people infected with canine gonorrhea.
          Herpes in humans may have been contracted through the Equine (Horse) herpes virus.

So humans play a big part in the mutation of virus DNA and those who think God made it to punish sinners is very arrogant,(since no one is free of doing at least a little evil).

6. profile image0

Though many spiritual groups call God by a different name, there is only one God and no one makes up God. Why don't you allow people to believe what they want. How does it affect you? It doesn't.

1. profile image53
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, the sixty-four thousand dollar question followed up with a two cent answer.

Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus.

It would be fine if people did believe what they wanted and kept it behind closed doors, but that isn't the case and hasn't been for centuries, unfortunately. Those beliefs do affect us in a great many ways, none of which any of us wish to be party. They have kept mankind in an intellectual stranglehold and slavery to the ancient myths and superstitions of long ago that have pervaded every aspect of our societies in a very negative way.

One can simply read the posts of believers here to see the irreparable damage those beliefs have caused.

No affect, indeed.

1. profile image0

Oh my Gosh how dramatic. You seem to have double standards. You want to spew your disbelief and that's OK. I don't believe like the others but you judge everyone the same as though you can see inside someone's mind.
          Just as you would like to see believers in God stop talking about it, I would like to see you disbelievers stop talking about it. To me it's SAD.

1. profile image53

If you believers stopped ramming it down everyone's throat, there would be no need for us to talk about it. We would simply laugh at your silly delusions and that would be the extent of it.

1. profile image0
              SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you are saying that if I say Jesus, it is ramming it down your throat? If that is ramming it, then I will ram it until the day I die.

By the way, how many hungry children have you saved from starvation today?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So - what you are saying is - you do not care how much conflict you cause - as long as you get to pretend you have some authority by lying about an imaginary super being. Bring on the final conflict!

See how this is bound to end in conflict?

Jeebus would be proud. And this is "morals"? lol lol

1. profile image0

Is that your picture?

How is someone proclaiming something and you throwing a temper tantrum over it bad morals? Seems it's the opposite.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61

This is so true. But their beliefs 'don't affect us'. Yeh right.

If we're wrong and yer belief is personal and ultimate, then you guys can quit trying to save the world and lose nothing.

But if we're right and you guys trying to save the world is really quite damaging, then we stand to lose everything.

I'm not worried about ending up in hell, and most christians aren't really worried about me ending up in hell either. It's god's will.

I'm saddened by the loss of what we could accomplish were it not for the perpetuation of these ancient myths, and I'm worried that one of these days one of you fanatics are really gonna screw everything up big time.

Sure, you're not all fanatics, and many of you have no clue what all it is that you're supposed to believe. But even your watered down faith is damaging because it just gives cover for the fanatics, it only serves to perpetuate the system many use to be destructive. It stands in the way, and it threatens -no, promises- an eventual annihilation.

1. profile image0

No the world can only become a good place to be if everyone would live and let live. YOUR BELIEFS are self-righteous indignation.

2. profile image0

From your words and many posts, it seems you are the fanatic but you're blind to it and you don't see yourself the way you are. Before you can know anyone else, you first have to know yourself.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
                LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lovely Sir Dent....Bravo.big_smile

3. profile image53

Religions pervade most every aspect of our society in one way or another. You may have noticed though that this is changing and those infantile beliefs are slowly being removed. Soon, like the guy who stands in Hyde Park ranting on a soap box, you'll be quite alone in your "ramming" smile

The real question is how many starving children did Jesus allow to die today, again? About 25,000. He did find your car keys for you, though. Well done, Jesus. What a guy!!!

2. profile image0

So you ram it down our throats that God doesn't exist and that's OK?
              I live in America and have freedom of speech and beliefs.

AS long as you guys say there is no God, I will say there is. GOT IT!

1. profile image53

And, we'll continue to heartily laugh at you and continue to fight your speech with more rationale. Eventually, you'll be speaking to yourself. Ha!

You need not tell us that you'll never learn anything, we already knew that. smile

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you. But what makes your beliefs any more legitimate than their's? On what do you base your beliefs? Feel free, go ahead, explain if you like. State your case.

By the way, you might want to notice that you're in the "ATHEISM & SKEPTICISM" forum.

We all want the same thing, a better world. I hate the misbelief, not the misbelievers. Don't take it personally.

1. profile image0

I'm a mystic, a Kabbalist and you would not be able to comprehend it. It takes years of study, practice and experience. Plus I don't feel I need to try to explain anything. Who are you to me? Picking on me? I wouldn't allow that to happen. My beliefs like YOUR BELIEFS are just different from theirs. We don't believe the same way. Don't try to put words in my mouth I didn't speak.
              I also don't care what forum I'm on. The Atheist have hijacked all the other threads so no need for you to instruct me on where I am.
              My spirituality isn't based on beliefs but on experience, something you may never be able to reach.

How do you know there is only one god? Of course since you don't believe in any of those other many gods, that makes you an atheist. Almost. I don't believe in this god. I don't believe in this god. I don't believe in this god, or this god, or this god, or that god.

I believe in this god! (Which is, of course, probably just the prominent one in the society you live in.)

It doesn't affect us? You're mistaken, seriously mistaken. When world leaders and other people in powerful or influential positions use the religions of the masses to promote their own agendas -knowingly or otherwise- it affects all of us. When people are hating each other because of differences conceived in the pages of ancient books it affects all of us. When the masses are satisfied with being short-changed in this life because they believe their current oppression will be rewarded in the next it affects all of us. When the belief that it is all in a god's hands causes people to overlook the oppression of their fellow humans it affects us all. When a certain arrogance that is the natural product of believing yourself to be among a "chosen" people causes people to turn a blind eye and a shrug of their shoulders to the sufferings of others as being a god's will it affects us all. When people don't really believe, or half believe, or just kinda believe, or haven't taken the time and energy to invest the brain power to figuring out what they believe but are in the meantime upholding the faulty traditions of their parents and perpetuating a system that holds us back from advancing the causes of humanity it affects us all.

1. profile image0

Oh how you misunderstand. There is only one omnipotent, omnipresent God. All people believe in the same God, they just call God by different names. We are all divine creatures and some of us know this about ourselves and raise our consciousness to a high level so that we can perceive what you miss.

I hate no one. You are the one speaking of hate so it is in your mind. Hate never entered mine.
          I do use brain power. The Kabbalah is a tool to expand the mind. 
          You are accusing me of certain beliefs that I don't hold. Kindly keep your remarks to what I have said not what you THINK I feel.

I have not stated I am chosen. There are certain truths we have to work hard to obtain, it's not just handed to us. Once we expand our minds we can see certain truths and have certain powers.

I don't think I have accused you of any beliefs you don't hold. I attempted to demonstrate to you how it is that the beliefs of others can affect all of us. I am saddened to see that your high level of spiritual enlightenment blinds you to the sufferings of your fellow humans.

I did assume you were one of those wishy-washy christians, and I stand corrected on that. I now understand that you are so much beyond that. Which is unfortunate in my opinion. You have attained a level of self-righteousness which wishy-washy christians never do.

1. profile image0

You replied to me. Look above and read. I am very much aware of human suffering. What's that got to do with what I am? I DO AS MUCH AS I CAN BUT CAN'T HELP EVERYONE, I AM ONE PERSON. WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUFFERING?
              When someone says they believe in God they are all grouped into the Christian religion. I haven't grouped you with anyone.
              Wishy washy..not me...I am strong minded.

Strong-minded doesn't equal right-minded, and your reading comprehension skills are still lacking.

You said other peoples' religious beliefs don't affect the rest of us. I wasn't accusing you yourself -or even your particular beliefs- of being behind each and every reason I listed to explain why religious beliefs affect us all. That you think I was can only be attributed to your own lack of comprehension. If you wish to go on insisting that nonbelievers should all shut up and let religious people have their way with the world at large, then that is something I have to disagree with.

2. Rishy Rich profile image73
            Rishy Richposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me..but how can you be sure that there is only one Omnipotent God & not more than that? and can you tell me from where he came from? smile

1. Cagsil profile image69
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First off, what makes you say that there is a god or even multiples of a god? hmm

1. Rishy Rich profile image73

I dont know is there multiple gods or only a single god, or may be there is no god at all.But since there are a lot of guys here who are sure abt the existence of one god, dats why I asked this question?

Gods are quite handy when used symbolically in psychology to represent the many different aspects of the human condition, a glimpse in to the sub conscious if you like... smile

7. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hik:
      What is this "god" thing?
      It is not defined in any monotheistic scripture, it is unknowable and incorporeal.
      "It" exists as nothing more than an abstract concept in the minds of a fearful, ignorant 'semi-conscious" infant species of animal life.
      Until this god thing appears with proper ID, I can't even consider it.

1. profile image0

I am sure the Absolute is worried about what you think too. I bet he tosses and turns in bed at night.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
        LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

qwark,   

Jesus loves you.....You don't have to consider Him, He has already considered you.

Leslie, jesus aint considering anything. If he ever was, ( which is in doubt) he has been dead for 2000 years already!
          I don't see the poor getting any more food do you? Or is he too busy finding your car keys and helping the prayerful to become richer?

8. LaurenLaHiPPiE profile image61
      LaurenLaHiPPiEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good piece. I agree with alot of the points you made.People flip to hear things like this.(religious people).Your shattering them lol.There's so many religions out there, I like bits and pieces from alot of religions but unable to choose just one.

Don't choose any. There's nothing wrong with a sense of wonder and an appreciation for the natural magic of the world, and a thorough respect for the glitches as well (hurricanes, diseases, death). From death does come life, and the magic of life does cause death, but there's no need to make up gods and demons to explain it all.

9. shabbirkhi profile image62
      shabbirkhiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

who not belive in God he has disease of mind because it is out of human natuare so many things happens in your life amazing lot of things in this world is amazing so many question you have about your life and universe you dont have answer why becasue you are not created by yourself who created you only can knows real story

10. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they live their life the way they want it to be like you isnt it?
      religion -- its teachings as a basis of morality is needed to have some order in the society in which we live in

Alexandria, unfortunately many religious people insist on doing more than merely living their lives the way they want to. They want to impose their beliefs on the rest of us, and force us to live our lives according to their beliefs. If they would let us be, we would gladly let them be.

No, religious belief is not necessary to morality or the maintenance of order in society.

11. Rishy Rich profile image73

I think religion is not a disease...Its a Sin!!! smile

12. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I've questioned things my entire life. You must question everything in order to be open-minded, have worth in your life and not be an automaton"

Really? Do you question the existence of the street you live on, the people you meet, the buildings you see? The keyboard you type on? If not, why not?

"personally don't believe in Atheism since Atheists claim that they know there is no god, but determining that is impossible."

some atheists claim that, but not all. Others simply don't believe there is such a thing as god. That's different to believing god does not exist. one is a belief, the other is a lack of belief.

"I consider religion as being a disease of the mind."

Untrue and dangerous. We have a tendency of labelling everyone we disagree with is "ill", or "sick" or "abnormal" or "other", making us "healthy", "normal", the "us" part of "us and them". When we separate "others" from ourselves in this way, it makes it much easier to do things we wouldn't want done to ourselves. Persecution always begins with someone being labelled "other". And history has a tendency of repeating itself. More people have been killed in the name of being "other" than anything else. We use different names for it: communism, capitalism, democracy, freedom, christianity, islam, protestantism, catholicism, atheism, tutsi, fante, ashanti whatever. It's all the same. All those words translate to "other". Seems "Theism" is becoming the latest word for "other".

Let's cure all the "diseased" people who believe things we don't believe. Can't cure them? Hmm, what else shall we do with them. Lets . . . [fill in the blanks however your creed, values and conscience dicatates]

2. profile image0
    Hikikomoriposted 14 years ago

By the way, I'm a former Lutheran Christian who converted to Agnosticism.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When are you going to get your hemroids removed I think there putting too much pressure on the part of your brain you sit on.smile

1. profile image0
        Hikikomoriposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is converting to Agnosticism from Christianity a dumb thing?

1. profile image0

"A random God!?" Go back to church it's always better when you're there.big_smile

1. marinealways24 profile image58
            marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anything other than Jesus is just an "Idol", right?

1. profile image0

Yes! I'm glad to hear you know the difference! You're on your way let me know if I can help you.smile

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I think everyone has a chance to get healthy.
    Religion might be seen as a mind disease, but it has a cure.
    Logic.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image58
      C.V.Rajanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Logic too ends up as a disease one day and at that point of time, religion becomes the cure. Perhaps that "one day" has not arrived for you yet. Till then we will wait smile

CVR,  (A logic-sick person under religious treatment)

4. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Where do you get your moral beliefs as an Agnostic?

1. profile image50
      sunnysideupposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where do you get your moral beliefs if you have a religion?  Most Christians (I use Christianity as an example because I live in a country where it is the predominate religion but this does not apply only to Christians) don't believe everything in the Bible (again change document to match religion).  People pick and choose morals to support what they already believe.  Most Christians today don't believe that we should still prescribe the death penalty for adultery, collecting sticks on the sabbath or talking back to one's parents.  If we rejects Deuteronomy and Leviticus then by what criteria do we use to decide which values to accept.  Of course we can pick and choose amongst the world's religions until we find one whose moral teaching suit us or if we know the criteria we want we can just skip the middle man and just go straight to the moral choice without religion. 
      Humans are socials animals and have evolved a moral sense, like an aversion to murder, so that communities can exist. These communities help us survive better and in much bigger numbers. Then we turned these morals that had evolved inside us into laws, against things like murder.
      Nobel Prize-winning American physicist Steven Weinberg said, 'Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.'
      And I will end this rant with asking you just one question.  Is fear of divine punishment the only reason you don't kill people or commit other crimes?

1. Valerie F profile image60
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong. For good people to do evil things, it doesn't take religion. It takes being human. If you've lived long enough, it doesn't matter how good you are. Most people have done evil.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what you are saying is - Christians are no different from anyone else and therefore have no "moral authority."

Therefore the invisible super being is moot. Because no one really believes or they would follow the rules. Therefore it does not exist - and if it did, it would make no difference.

Interesting. This is one of the reasons I used to decide the idea of an invisible super being was garbage.

The people saying it exists never behave as though they actually believe. Actions speak louder than words.

2. profile image53

True, they have, despite their religious beliefs and so-called morals.

2. profile image0
        TheVerbalAxiomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To the question, that's the only reason I think some people follow religion. Since in christianity, if your not "pure of heart" hell is the place you'll be seeing.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I think that anyone that lives in a diffrent reality than mine are lucky son's of ...  AH.. somebody elses momie than mine.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

lol

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

religion has ethics like you, you have to pursue a certain ways of doing things (because you thought about that it is right)  just like them, they have to pursue a way in doing things because they think it is right

there are many ways of doing things

there are also general laws like killing others is a universal value -- the importance of life

8. profile image0

maybe not a disease as much as a misunderstanding coupled with desperation and confusion.  Just a thought.

9. profile image0

lol

10. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Wow. Way to make agnostics look stupid, stupid, stupid.

Though your principles with religious people are different, the blind fanaticism and narrowness still exists as with a fanatical person of any belief system.

1. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I like this one.

11. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

I think a lot of people believe out of fear of punishment (Hell) or a desire to be rewarded for their faith (Heaven). Either one is wrong, in my opinion. I think I believe in a supreme being simply out of a sense of wonder..that is, my inability to know one way or another what it was that sent the stars into motion in their ancient realm..this puzzlement, it reaffirms my faith. The 'not knowing' IS my religion.

12. Red_Dragon profile image60
    Red_Dragonposted 14 years ago

I think anyone, whether you believe in god or not, questions whether god exists or doesn't exist. But there is no logical explanation for life on this earth that can be summed up.

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apply that to your self my friend.

There are many logical explanation, but none that the masses will accept.

Believing or not believing has nothing to do with "logics" as unbelievers are very quick to ignorantly presume.

A Belief is based primarily on the desires of the individual, and because of such they will continually block out the knowledge of truth that challenges their desires.

Their belief is therefore based on their remaining ignorant.

But any who would use knowledge of truth, to challenge their own belief, those inevitably will know all truth.

1. BL Tween profile image59
        BL Tweenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes the TRUTH will set you free. He is the TRUTH, the Light and the way.

2. Red_Dragon profile image60
        Red_Dragonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

.................And what is "The truth?"

1. Red_Dragon profile image60
          Red_Dragonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok also Kess, i am talking to you.

3. Pandoras Box profile image61

Bingo! Quote of the day.

2. earnestshub profile image81

Oh yes there is. It just does not involve some controlling psycho!

13. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Religion may not be a disease of the mind but it is one of the elements propped up to do some real damage to this world. Be fruitful and multiply was okay maybe two thousand years ago but a lot has changed since then. Too much multiplication and you have famine, war, etc. Hey lets be so many greedy religo swines and bring on the four horsemen. Sounds like a plan.

1. profile image0

"Be fruitful and multiply" was a lot longer then two thousand years ago

Oh no it's alive and well. Plan is to create a bunch of new little christians to combat the fact that many are walking away from their system of lies.

1. profile image0

I'm not a Christian so your insults have no meaning to me.
          Just so you know, I am very sure of myself.

Didn't say you were a christian, so your misunderstanding is your own problem, not mine.

1. profile image0

Read what you wrote..you addressed it to me and spoke to ME about Christians and you did it derogatory as though it would affect me. I have misunderstood nothing.

I said very clearly "their beliefs", not "your beliefs". This is getting old. It's your lack of reading comprehension. I don't know maybe english just isn't your native language. For all the understanding you claim to have you misunderstand an awful lot.

1. profile image0

Last response to you. roll

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that be fruitful and multiply has been around a lot longer than two thousand years. My point was and remains that two thousand years ago it was okay this multiplication like rabbits business It made a certain sense. Life was short and multiplication a much needed thing if the human race was to continue. It was a much needed thing if Christianity was to get up and running and have any kind of chance of survival as a religion. Times have definitely change but not the religion or religion in general. The old rules that make sense are now destructive.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that and "spare the rod and spoil the child" roll

for being the "word of God" it sure doesn't evolve very well.

14. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Religion: A disease of the mind?

No. Religion is a business based on a code of ethics, bound to a higher cause.

The practicing of religion or of almost any religious view, which is bound to a higher cause, creates selfish people.

The main problem is the doctrines in place, that perpetuates the "GOD" concept, all of which are unattainable beyond human achievement.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

15. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Religion is not a disease.

People need to have faith, the same way we need to have food. We can't exist without it.

God? myth created by man.
    Religion is a manipulation of the many by the few. A basic human need is being exploited.
    smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image67

Some day the choice will be between three square meals a day and religion. I believe a LOT of people are going to pick religion.

A lot of people do already. Most religions have days of fasting.

The flip side is that the same religions do not encourage starvation and allow people to opt out of fasting if they have medical contraindications.

Also, the fasts are usually followed up by big, happy days of feasting. smile

1. profile image0

Your last statement here is impossible. Once someone does without food for just a couple of days, the stomach shrinks and food has to be introduced slowly back into the system. No feasts

Oh, really? Check your calendar then, because Easter (a Feast Day) follows Lent (forty penitential days which includes days of abstaining from certain foods and days of fasting). 

Check the Islamic calendar. Ramadan (a month of daytime fasting) is concluded with Eid al Fitr, which is marked by feasting.

Going without food for a short period of time might be good for the soul. Cutting back from three square meals a day to two or one might not be good for the body.

No big happy feast days if food is in short supply .

16. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

if you think that religion is a disease then mind is the host of this disease.

Indeed it is. smile

17. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

As much of a disease as Rationality.

Rationality is clear thinking and unbiased conclusions based on evidence.

Religion is muddled thinking and prejudiced judgments based on worn out fables, the opinions of long dead men and outright lies.

Accurate and honest. smile

Thank you. I try. Deaf ears, as you know, but I try.

2. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Evidence differs amongst people.

18. profile image0
    TheVerbalAxiomposted 14 years ago

I am rational and still acknowledge god's existance.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Something is wrong with your rationality then.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hay Ms "T"  HOW IS THINGS ??

Word to the wise, shoooooosssshh.. (don't tell anyone)..
          .....  everybodys breethin tha same air.......

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ho Jerami !
          I'm in a mocking mood tonight !
          I promise I'll not make fun of you though !
          big_smile

don't mind a little tickle once in a while

I don't think the two must be mutually exclusive. I hold to a higher power as well, I just don't care to label it a god.

19. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

According to the Simpsons (a well known source of impeccable standing) Leprechauns are jockeys! lol

Now that is silly.....   everbody known that leprechauns turns tha lights on out on tha electric pole when it gets dark.

Why was I not informed of this previously... would have saved me tryin to work that out! smile Hi all! smile

20. shabbirkhi profile image62
    shabbirkhiposted 14 years ago

Some people says religon is a private matter personal matter this is quit a bit right but when somebody says not to discuse this is wrong and this is unnatural because search is human nature unless he satisfied quite a bit.
    human beings are great creature of universe human beings should know who he is why he is where he is what should be done and how what is the purpose of creation human beings and others when it will finish when it was started if anybody belongs to any religon not satisfied with the answer of these question he must searh for it and this is your rights and this is the matter of your real life and he will be always in tension and trouble unless he found the answer of these question near to his minds satisfaction

21. earnestshub profile image81

Religion is one of those systems of belief that uses itself as proof. In other words the only support for religious beliefs comes from one belief in an invisible hate filled entity that even with the greatest of gullibility would seem ridiculous to any enquiring mind.
    Which is why religious tomes always teach that you may not question anything. lol
    A farce! smile

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what's your point? fairies need proof too. lol

hello Earnest!

Ever heard of the scientific method? Double blind studies?
        Science begins with the axiom that proof can be denied,  religion does not. One is a belief in bronze age manipulation, the other a search for knowledge without which we would not be in this forum.
        Apples do not compare well with invisible fruit!

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really? lol

ever hear the word faith?
          it is the method used to discover who one is in Creation.
          it denied until proven/evident of that unseen.
          it is the total 'double blind' axiom.

straining @ gnats, fella?

TWD, I cannot recall the last time you wrote anything that actually made sense! lol

22. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

and once again..........

Here's a list of "deities/people" you cannot prove do not exist, that I could believe in:
    Zeus
    Poseidon
    Aphrodite
    Huitzilopochtli
    Wodanaz
    Horus
    Fujin
    The Flying Spaghetti Monster
    The Invisible Pink Unicorn
    Tooth Fairy
    Santa Clause
    Boogeyman

Am I OK then? I signed up for the FSM and have been touched by his doodliness. Well I guess I'm outta the woods. lol
      If not I have a backup religion from a Tasmanian hubber  with two heads, so he must be smart eh? smile

1. Hokey profile image59
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too!!!  Me too!!!!!

Well, earnestshub, I have always liked the Tasmanian Devil out of the loony tunes. Maybe if you were looking for a Tasmanian thingy to believe in he mightn't be a bad choice. Mind you, he is a food greedy SOB so maybe we can put an end to humanity the sooner by worshiping him.

Ron, I loved that character too! Walt had a way of putting truth in his animal characters!
          I can tell you the Tasmanian devil is one nasty, bad tempered vicious little bugga!
          Just like the biblical god of the OT really! lol

23. earnestshub profile image81

Anyone as well developed as you are at such a young age and bein able to hold a phone an all, I am not surprised you chose the noodly one!
    Such a clever baby Bhuda! lol

24. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha!

Can we serve you for communion? Oh, wrong god, never mind.

25. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

There is something in the water that causes stupid.

Who is drinking water besides me???

I'm stickin with a latte! Not goin near the water today. smile

26. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.

Logical really. smile

27. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Hey Earnest!  How r u?  How's your weekend shaping up?

Hi Beth! 6.45pm Saturday here and goin good! How bout you? smile

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's 2:25 am Saturday and I'm about to fall out of my chair (and hopefully into bed).  Have a good weekend!

Have a wonderful rest then, thank you I will continue to enjoy these lovely weekends while we have summer. smile

1. Beth100 profile image70
            Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Enjoy them for me too!  I'll make a few extra snow balls for you tomorrow!  lol Good night!

28. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

As for myself..I am an antevisan. I prefer to live on and walk the mystical line between spirit and matter.

29. earnestshub profile image81

I enjoy fantasy, I just don't have it confused with and call it god! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)