Speaking in tongues

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (180 posts)
  1. profile image53
    Raymond Ngongaposted 14 years ago

what is to speak in tongues? can I speak in tongues and is it real?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLO

This reminds me of the old adage, "If you have to ask how much it costs......." lol

Seriously Mr. Ngonga - this might work for you. It goes down very well in certain parts of the USA.

Are you by any chance immune to snake bites?

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, we all know the only tongue you speak is hate and sarcasm

Dear me,

Did your husband give you permission to say that? lol

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Raymond.

Tongues is a multiple type of communication.
      From a OT/NT perspective it is the ability to speak AND understand multiple human languages. So, I suppose you could.
      This was a portion the 'Pentecost' event.

And remember according to Torah & some Kabbalah teaching, we humans at one point spoke one united language of all languages.

There is supposedly a language of angels -which I personally have never 'heard'. But I suppose there is always a faint possibility.

4. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My recommendation is that you read 1 Corinthians chapters 12 and 13, as well as Acts Chapters 2 - 4 for the biblical sources.  Pray, meditate, consider, then choose and act as you see fit. 

As you can see, on this thread there is a wide variety of interpretations opinions from the embracing to the mocking.  Each of us puts our our experiences, education,choices etc. into the mix and as is obvious from this thread, these vary widely.

Now as to my thoughts on it: It is a "gift" and that implies and act of will on the giver. (i.e. God) ... If a father gives a child a car, it is a common, but sad thing if the child suddenly loves the car more than the father. It is my opinion is that you may want keep that in mind as you read.

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you cannot speak in tongues, my recommendation is that you speak in thongs.

http://www.exoinfo.net/chat/thongs.jpg

It's a sure way to attract audience (as I'd seem to be trying now...)
        only actually if you want to speak in thongs, you must weare them.
        hehehe

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
          TheLoanConsultantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol! That is just straight wrong!

5. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thread.  The important thing to remember is that many of the gifts that God can bestow on man can be emulated by the Adversary as well to give the "appearance" of a gift.  It is this latter source that I believe is prevalent in many late examples especially taking place in many churches. 

Any direct communication from God in this manner will always be for a specific reason or purpose.  Always.  It is not given for the fun of it or to be used in a manner which no one at all knows what's being said.  Confusion is not part of His purpose for us.  Actually, the gift of tongues can mean many things.  It can be a predisposition to learn another language so you can communicate with peoples in distant lands.  It can manifest itself in common language during instruction or conversation where somehow just the right things are said that make a deep impact on an individual.  It can even be someone on this platform who can properly express thoughts into words that will mean a great deal to someone on the other side of the globe or right next door.  Often the gifts given are not "mysterious" as is commonly portrayed but rather are everyday occurrences happening in extraordinary ways.

1. profile image0

Please back this up with Scripture.

1. goldenpath profile image68
          goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paul even taught the simplicity of speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians 14:19. It is for teaching, instructing or the ability to do so in that person's language.

6. Pr0metheus profile image59
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do after about 12 shots....

Yes, alcohol eventually effects speech...

7. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

speaking in tounges is not ranting off nonsensical jibberish. it is speaking in many different languages, especially ones you would never encounter or possibly know like Icelandic or Arabic or something, which is why when people truly do it, it is considered miraculous. these people who wave their hands in the air at a prayer meeting and go "blah blah blah jehaddi mooshadi blah blah' are just trying to make people think they have been siezed by the Holy Spirit.

1. TheLoanConsultant profile image60

"blah blah blah jehaddi mooshadi blah blah'  hehe! That is too funny.

8. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have personal experience of this.

One day I went to see an Osteopath for a problem with my arm. He was an ardent believer, and he started to talk to me about his beliefs.

I was lying on his table, and for some reason, I asked him if he was able to “speak in tongues”. Without flinching, he said “Yes”. So I asked him to do it there and then.

He stopped the treatment, close his eyes for a few seconds, then began. He “spoke in tongues” for perhaps 3 minutes.

I didn’t understand a word of it. The nearest I could place it in terms of how it sounded, was Hebrew, but it wasn’t Hebrew. It did however, sound beautiful. 

He then carried on the treatment on my arm as if nothing had happened. For him, “speaking in tongues” was quite normal.

But does this mean global climate change is a LIE!? lol

Still - no worries. This convinces me it is a LIE! lol

Smell a religionist a mile off. How odd is that!? lol

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But did he do a good job with your arm?

1. sannyasinman profile image59
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, actually he didn't. Nor did he manage to convert me. I don't belong to or advocate ANY religion.

I mention this "one-off" experience only to answer the original question.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
            Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Somehow, I didn't expect him to do a good job on your arm.  He probably zoned out during his classes and couldn't keep up. wink

9. profile image57
      SpaceAgeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, it's real. yrs ago i was praying & started speaking in tongues, & thought i slipped @ the tongue. this happened 3x B4 it stopped. i have a different gift now known as prophesy. now that i'm older & better understand speaking in tongues, i'd like 2 retry it

10. Andrew0208 profile image58
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

@poster,
      "what is to speak in tongues? can I speak in tongues and is it real?" You can speak in tongues if you believe. It is also meaningless to anyone who do not believe or mock the same. Speaking in tongues is a great spiritual tool in the hand of any believer who walks in the consciousness of the life of Christ resident in his/her spirit. It goes beyond the blah blah blah that anyone blahs! "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful." I cor 14:14

You'll get the full dose of it from the whole chapter of

1 Corinthians 14

1. "Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."

If you do not believe the Scriptures, it will appear meaningless to you. That's the reality! This is not the play of religion or someone trying to impose some dumb stuff on you. It's a walk of faith which is of the Spirit.

I consciously use this great tool. It's a force!

11. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Bible's meaning and effectiveness of speaking in tongues has been twisted.
      It mostly meant (and means) a way in which the Holy Spirit allowed people of other languages to understand the Word of God when spoken in a tongue they couldn't understand.  It was a translation issue.  In these modern days, we usually don't have very much of a problem with understanding, and when we do, there are usually actual interpreters who perform that work.

...I grew up visiting churches where people "spoke in tongues".  I believe most of it was ineffective jibberish.  Also, people shouldn't speak in tongues unless they also are equipped to interpret it for everyone else's benefit.  The Bible says to pray for interpretation of one's own "speaking in tongues",  and also that those shall "cease".  The scenario of someone speaking in "tongues" and then expecting someone else to interpret it is often done for "show",  and is often even dangerously close to quenching the Spirit.

2. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Strange on this, I think it is all in the mind, brought on by suggestion, I have seen people who claim to speak in tongues...and to be honest these people would be the last accomadation the holy spirit would seek if he were on earth.......for many it is a con job for many it is an honest belief brought on by suggestion......and the Bible says.....and so forth....

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, these are my thoughts exactly...
      i'll have them back now, thank you! wink

2. tantrum profile image59

lol

I can do a lot of things with my tongue.

1. Hokey profile image61
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is very interesting.

1. Hokey profile image61

Seriously I grew up in North Carolina and was raised Southern Pentecostal. When I was a child and went to church people speaking in tounges was a common sight. It scared me as a little kid and now they wonder why I am Buddhist. lol

lol lol lol

3. Precious Pearl profile image75
    Precious Pearlposted 14 years ago

Yes, you can speak in tongues if you have received Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Speaking in tongues is an outward manifestation of the infilling of the Holy Spirit.  It is one of the Believers most powerful weapons of warfare because Satan has no understanding of what is being prayed. Additionally, the Holy Spirit prays through us according to the Will, Purpose and Plan of God for our lives in alignment with the Word.  If you read the Book of Acts, it describes what happened to the followers of Jesus who were first filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. 

Recently, a friend was ministering and she was praying in tongues, the young lady in the car with her latter testified that all she heard was english although my friend only prayed in tongues and not her natural language.  There are other instances documented where people who were from different countries and who spoke various languages not to mention dialects of their own region heard the prayer in their own language although the person praying was doing so in tongues.  Many people come to know Him in this way because of the power of praying in tongues.

And I assure you that praying in tongues although a very exciting gift for those that receive it...is not brought on by the power of suggestion or emotionalism but a strong belief in the power of the gift for the spiritually discerning.

If you really want to know more about Him ... The Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues ... Read Acts.

1. profile image0

I agree with 98% of what you have said and 98% is a lot.

1. profile image54

True, it is just 2% shy of 100%. Probably, the 2% that would have been your common sense.

I agree with this 100%.

Now - you thought 98% was  a lot, but this is a real lot.

1. profile image0

Sorry, I still don't care what you think.

You keep bringing up my husband in every thread. I just want you to know, my husband is straight. smile

So - he did give you permission to say that - or not? lol

Accuse me of stealing again. That was awesome - I had so much fun watching you being unable to say sorry - it convinced me you are a genuine believer. wink

Not really sure why you bothered to speak directly to me on this thread if you do not care what I think. Odd that..... lol

1. profile image0

When you quote "" you have to say who you quoted from (which you did not do). otherwise it is stealing.
                I can't even make myself care what you think. smile
                My husband says "Not Interested" big_smile

LOLOLOL

Remember - it was a quote that no one know  who said it and in the public domain. That is not stealing. Still - thanks for proving my point once again. Attack some one and accuse them of stealing and then never ever back down when they show you that you are wrong. There is a word for that also. lol

Ask your husband if that is OK.

1. profile image0

Tsk Tsk Mark, you called me a liar and a thief many times then I went looking to see why you kept bringing it up. That's when I found your quotes that did not give credit. You can't use quotes anywhere without credits.
                    But how saintly and innocent you are. OOps your hate is showing.
                    It's easy to be rude when you pretend you live in France, but you wouldn't be in front of my Husband. He would have you running to hide like a little girl.

2. profile image0

2% is much more than you have. smile

2. Precious Pearl profile image75
        Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah, thank you ... You are a bold woman.  I so appreciate a woman who speaks her mind and takes on the ungodly Mark Knowles.  He is something of a thorn in the side, isn't he?  Enjoy the banter. 

Mark, I am really not suprised to see you back in the Religious Forums ... don't know when you decided to get back into the fray.  You do make things interesting though...

Yes. I tell the truth. I see that bothers you. wink

lol

No Mark, your truth is like Satan's truth ... you see he wraps up just enough truth in a lie so that those that have an ear for a bit of truth can be decieved.  Your "truth" doesn't bother me at all.  I think that you are kind of cute and funny.

Well, that is better than obnoxious and hypocritical I guess?

Of course my truth does not bother you. You have already decided you are precious and named yourself accordingly. Good for you sweetie. Satan would be proud a' ya. lol

1. Precious Pearl profile image75

Mark ... would you get original?  The insulting of my name thing has been done .. I don't call myself Precious ... God does ... and He calls you that too.  I am precious because of Jesus.  Have you learned nothing from these forums?  Obviously not.

Oh - I have learned a lot, precious.

this reminds me of Lord of the Rings
                    speaking in different tongues

2. profile image0

It doesn't take much to stand up to him. Don't give him all that.
          Obviously, carrying an English name, he isn't French but certainly has that attitude.
          Go to France and they all treat you rudely.

LOLOLO

And you come here every year? And you get treated rudely?

Domage...........

1. profile image0

Laughing Out loud, Out loud laughing, Out loud?? Is that what you're saying?
              What has me going there once a year got to do with them being rude?
              You're not there..stop saying you are. You live in America

What? You don't think it is funny? Here you are claiming to come here every year - by ferry from Greece lol  - and complaining that they are rude to you?

And coming back every year -by ferry from Greece. lol

And no - just because you are prepared to lie - do not project that on me. I say it - it is true.

You are right  ... thanks for giving me another perspective.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Precious

That was a wonderful explanation of the the gift of speaking in tongues.....we need to especially pray in tongues for this forum..... smile

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL

Religionists really like to fight and cause hatred huh? wink

Like wot jeebus sed.

2. tantrum profile image59

Yes!  I think so too !.
        Please keep me posted. I'd love to see that !

3. Andrew0208 profile image58

Precious Pearl, I'm quite inspired by these Words of Power. It's not by might but by His Spirit.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60

hhhahgshgstefdhtesanhsthdgtegfdiosnhdthsnsgta...I just dont know what came over me

1. Naomi R. Cox profile image59
      Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know, being raised by a preacher, I know what is wrong and what is right. I went to Holiness churches all my life. Speaking in tongues was when that person was specking directly to God. It should Not be made fun of and that person was the only one that knew what the conversation was about. That is the way it is supposed to be. The bible teaches us that all  sin is equal , but two sins and there are no forgiveness for these. They are suicide and blaspheming against the Holy Ghost.
      This is my first time coming in and commenting on these kind of topic's and it will be my last. I hold God close to my heart and give him thanks everyday for life.

5. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol

6. theirishobserver. profile image60

Hokey, like it, speaking in tongues is menat to scare you, its meant to put you in your place, its meant show that others are closer to God than you, but in reality its just their way of hiding....boo

1. Hokey profile image61

Thats funny. Even as a kid I always thought they were full of it. Trying to see who could be more godly. I couldn't say anything though or I would be forced to pick my own switch.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How very Christian of them

7. Greg Cremia profile image59
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Jesus never spoke in tongues. He spoke a form of Arabic.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mar 5:41  And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

Mat 27:46  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This isn't tongues, as I am sure you know. This is quoting Scripture.

1. profile image0

It is not quoting scripture, however it may not be tongues either. The last one Quoted is Christ speaking in Hebrew however it was mistransliterated.

2. profile image0

This isn't true. Please show scripture...

8. jill-of-all trade profile image56
    jill-of-all tradeposted 14 years ago

If I do not take my meds I speak in tongue  tongue....would that count?

1. Hokey profile image61

Yes! I believe that would count.

9. theirishobserver. profile image60

hdbhbdbddhddhjddsdKHDKHDKHBVDhdvhbvhbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvhjdsbvbhsdbdshh

1. Hokey profile image61

He didn't take his meds either

1. jill-of-all trade profile image56
        jill-of-all tradeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL apparently NOT tongue

10. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

My wife is most appreciative when I speak in tongues.

1. profile image54

Now, that IS funny. big_smile

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Hi Raymond, I don't personally know of people or have seen people who have spoken in tongues. There are a couple of Protestant groups who are more familiar with it such as the Pentecostals.  I would suggest that you visit a Pentecostal church service and talk to the ministers and members there to learn more about it.  They would be very open to discussing it with you.

1. profile image54

How is anyone supposed to understand them? Is there an online "English-Tongue" translator?

1. profile image0

Like someone in an earlier post in this thread said "Satan can't understand tongues"smile

Neither can anyone else. wink

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Hi Mark.....

Other tongues is not for you to understand.....it is personal communication between the speaker and God......you never struck me as the nosey type smile

2. profile image54

Satan has provided you with a computer, internet connection and host of other conveniences that YOU take advantage of every day.

What does that make you, then?

1. profile image0

But you haven't provided me with anything!!
            It makes me a wonderful person.

1. profile image54

No, it makes you a bold faced liar and hypocrite. smile

1. profile image0

Should I have your defamation removed?

1. profile image54

Just can't stand having reality thrust in your face?

1. profile image0

Again, Should I?

2. profile image0

Done!

2. mohitmisra profile image59
            mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see an angel in her.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Q

Satan has given me nothing....because he has nothing to give......the power that he operates in is deflected from the power of God....

He is a liar, a deceiver and he above a defeated foe.....The love of God through the person of Jesus Christ has sufficiently defeated him .....

Jesus loves you. smile

12. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Wow, I swear as these threads go on and on te further from any kind of truth do they get sometimes.
    After a person has accepted Jesus into their heart, and they are then baptized in water, the next step is to then be baptized in the holy spirit, which then allows you to become a vessel for God, the trinity to use you in his service, and the speaking in tongues is an outward display that this has taken place, and that you are a vessel of God. 
    It is possible for some people to "fake" this I suppose, but why would one except to protray to be someone that he isn't.
    I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit many years ago, and it is something that is almost supernatural to experience.  It also made a difference in my life in that I felt it was much easier for me to discuss my walk with God and my experiences with God with other people, and to have discussions such as this one.

1. profile image54

"There's a sucker born every minute" ~~Barnum

Would you be referring to yourself........

2. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right on....me too.

13. theirishobserver. profile image60

jkhdbadskhdcbkhbvkhbd kjasn kjasnd kjndskjn sjkbKHDSBKHDSB

1. ddsurfsca profile image69
      ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is very normal (though immature) to make fun of things you do not know about or understand.  Research or read up if you care to know.  Maybe making fun is just easier.

1. profile image54

And, it's "mature" to believe in things you don't understand?

1. profile image0

It's every person's right to believe in what they want. It is no one's right to openly make fun of anyone. But of course those with a lack of knowledge.................

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

(Q)

You never cease to amaze me....do you only believe in things that you understand?   Let me answer for you, "No!" 

Example: Whatever area of life that you believe to be true and in which  you are not a master in, you don't understand, therefore you are subject to the "immature" category that you have reserved for believers. smile

By definition-

believe: to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

understand: to perceive the meaning of; grasp the idea of; comprehend: to understand Spanish; I didn't understand your question. 
          2. to be thoroughly familiar with; apprehend clearly the character, nature, or subtleties of: to understand a trade. 
          3. to assign a meaning to; interpret: He understood her suggestion as a complaint. 
          4. to grasp the significance, implications, or importance of: He does not understand responsibility. 
          5. to regard as firmly communicated; take as agreed or settled: I understand that you will repay this loan in 30 days. 
          6. to learn or hear: I understand that you are going out of town. 
          7. to accept as true; believe: I understand that you are trying to be truthful, but you are wrong. 
          8. to construe in a particular way: You are to understand the phrase literally. 
          9. to supply mentally (something that is not expressed).  big_smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image77
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have had a few glasses of Ouzo and that actually makes sense hmm

1. profile image0

And where do you live in Greece?

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sparta smile

2. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Duh! I did not have any wine today yet! That explains it lol

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Irishobserver,

I know that you are poking fun and it is supposed to irritate the belivers in this forum....but, if I were you I wouldn't write any more posts faking tongues....You might want to stop whle you are ahead........

God is ok with you not knowing Him and not reverencing Him, but I don't think that mocking His Spirit is a good idea.......you are opening a door for the devil to jump right in your stuff...

See, as an unbeliever, you don't have any power over Satan and his demons....so he can literally run rampant through your life and you couldn't stop him......we (believers) on the other hand do have authority over the devil, because it was given to all of us by Jesus after He rose from the dead.....and we know the reality of the person of the Holy Spirit....

I can speak for us all and say that we are going to pray for you that your lack of understanding be forgiven you.......'cause your REALLY don't know what you're doing............and most of all because we know that Jesus loves you

Seriously,
      Your friend, Leslieadrienne

you say the Devil can't do anything to you because you have authority over him and that atheists don't.
        But all the cases of evil possession are christians.
        I never heard of an Atheist possessed !
        so who's the Devil messing up with ??
        lol

14. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

ba ng ba ng my ba by shhhhh ot me dddddddown

You too zampano.....see the post above

Leslieadrienne

15. profile image0

Well, the fact that there are husbands involved is but one more reason to speak in thongs.

Hi Tantrum.
    Like that model ?
    hehehe

Are you going to wear it ? tongue

1. profile image0

Not that model. Another.
        Toughened both sides.
        hehehe

16. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

LOLOLOLOL

I am not being rude to you, I am being honest - and trust me - ten Husbands with a capital H would not prevent me from being honest.

"Public domain" are the operative words in the nonsense you posted.

Religionists just cannot apologize can they?

Dear me, will your Husband be flying to France to chastise me?
    lol lol

And any time you want to tell me who said what I quoted - feel free.

This is absolutely the last time I try and help some one who thinks cutting and pasting thousand of words stolen from the internet on the forum is acceptable.

I see you deleted all that though. And you didn't thank me for helping you either.

1. profile image0

We will be going to Athens then to the beach in May. It's a ferry ride over to France. Let me know where to meet you. If you live there we'll be able to meet and say Hi.
      Obviously you didn't visit the links I provided, that says something being Public Domain does not give a person the right to use the material.

LOLOLO

Guess you did not even bother reading what you linked to?

"What doesn't require permission? Material in the public domain. If you want to quote Shakespeare, you don't need to worry about tracking down his closest living relative."

A ferry ride to France? Sure - I guess. Like New York is a train ride to Florida.

Bet your Husband would love to stop by and chastise me for telling his wife the truth. lol

1. profile image0

Of course you can take a ferry over to France. lol
          If you were from France you would know this. Italy and France can be accessed via a boat.

LOLOLOL

You have obviously never been on a Greek ferry. wink

1. profile image0

I go on a Greek ferry every year. Athens to Zacharo then straight to Italy then we go to France.
              http://www.ferries.gr/

LOLOLOLOLO

LIke I said.

Zacharo is in France - right? Oh - Italy! uhuh. That is right next to France - so I understand. Same thing really.

Do you ever read ANYTHING?

Dear me. All this to avoid the fact that you attacked me wrongly. wink

1. profile image0

Athens Greece (street Kalamaki) then a long drive to Zacharo Greece....Western part. We take the ferry to Italy then we take a very long drive to France. No big deal. I don't have to read anything.

So - how is that a ferry ride to France?

17. tantrum profile image59

lol
    Post the pic! tongue

1. profile image0

http://www.exoinfo.net/chat/malolotte.jpg
      only because it's you who asked...

lol lol lol

18. profile image0

Well I'm sure glad you became friends afterall.
    Don't forget your thongs.
    hehehe

19. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

You can take a boat from Europe to America then drive to Mexico or any South American country. It is still by boat. If someone said they drove from Europe to South America that would be incorrect.

20. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Damn! It's been a week and Sarah Pailin still hasn't spoken in tongues on national TV!
    Now that would entertain the world for months! lol

She is from Alaska. The speaking in tongues thing is pretty much a southern affectation .... Occasionally out in the midwest - but mostly the south. Pretty darn funny when you see it. Scary too. wink

"Insane," is the word you are looking for. Where did Mr. Ngonga go?

Check the West  Coast, (especially L.A.), the Northeast and countries around the world before you are declare where talking in other tongues is most prevalent......

21. tantrum profile image59

lol

22. profile image0

Um well - I just said I am English.

23. profile image0

Precious..Lower consciousness..the flesh, can't perceive God. No use trying. Wipe the dust from your feet.

1. Precious Pearl profile image75

Done. smile

24. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

having been born and mired deep in the Bible Belt, I have witnessed many people talking in tongues in several different churches.  Want to know what they say?  Yabba dabba yabba dabba yabba, or something similar.  There is usually someone who claims to be able to interpret the jibberish.  This would usually be the preacher or his illiterate wife.

It's amazing how these two, two syllable words could always be counted on to mean everyone was going to hell except those who went to the particular church.  The snake handlers are just as crazy as the tongue speakers.  But they usually pull the snakes fangs,JUST IN CASE!  Nut cases!

25. CJ's Closet profile image60
    CJ's Closetposted 14 years ago

Speaking in tongues used to refer to speaking the language of heaven. It was suppose to be the Holy Spirit talking to God from your heart in the language.  Some people thought that speaking in tongues meant speaking another language from earth that others would know. Unfortunately what is the use of speaking another language unless the ones that are to hear it do- like the Disciples spoke other languages but knew what they were saying and talked to the people that also spoke that language.  Is that what is happening in these churches that speak in tongues?

1. profile image0

fortunately for us, CJ, no. I was very close witness to the Pentecostal Uber-church thing. And know 1st hand -be them Born Again, Pentecostal, Church of Christ, Assembly of god, etc etc.
      Not one has actually proven to speak in multiple languages w/ interpretation.

On one occasion, a man in the audience just happened to be from so-in-so country that the 'minister' swore was the tongue of choice. The dude was like WTF. I never laughed so hard and cried so hard at the same time. Was my first & last day there.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Speaking in Tongues: The Biblical Account

Speaking in tongues by Christians first occurred during Pentecost. Luke records the account in the book of Acts. Fifty days after Christ's crucifixion, a group of believers were gathered in Jerusalem at a room near the temple. Jesus had "commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father" (Acts 1:4 KJV). Many Jews that had traveled far were also there to celebrate the traditional festival of Pentecost. It is with this backdrop that Luke records what happened:

…Suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:2-4 KJV)

Filled with the Holy Spirit, the believers began to speak in other languages they neither learned nor understood. The result was that many passers-by heard the gospel proclaimed in their own languages. In bewilderment, they became convicted by the message they heard and became believers in Jesus Christ.

if you suddenly started speaking FLUENTLY in some incredibly difficult language like Icelandic, which is considered almost impossible for anyone who is not Icelandic to learn, why wouldn't that be considered 'speaking in tongues'?

anybody can spout jibberish and claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit. let them speak fluently in many complex languages and i might even be filled with awe.

26. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

It talks about speaking in tongues in the book of Acts, I have honestly seen it happen in church when people are slaying in the spirit but I have not ever personally had it happen to myself. smile

If you want it you can have it.....just ask Matt 7-11 smile

27. earnestshub profile image83

I have seen people talking in tongues on TV.
    I have also seen the "laying on of hands" sideshow.

Next I want to see Pailin addressing the senate in tongues televised Internationally to complete my enjoyment of one of the most hilariously stupid religious beliefs known to man! lol

28. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Cosette, if there was 'like this' button on HB, I would def 'like' your reply a million times!

Earnest, she is supposedly going on tour with Benny Hinn and a new book called `you betcha: the white suit chronicles`.

Tantrum, love, i dunno if i have the strength.lol

how is everyone's Saturday?

1. earnestshub profile image83
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With Benny Hinn you say?
      I love that guy! Any smoother and he would slide up his own ornamental! lol
      A perfect team! I can't wait to see that!  It will make all the satirical comedies look lame! lol
      I got Sunday morning here, god you guys are slow! smile

1. profile image0

yip. i am still on GMT smile

I hear GMT a lot. I listen to the BBC science show and their news out of Germany and Oceania where I live.
          By the way I get better local news from the BBC than from our local commercial TV!

29. Deltachord profile image60
    Deltachordposted 14 years ago

When a person speaks in tongues, he or she is prompted by the Holy Spirit. It isn't something the Christian decides to do, but God prompts them to do so.

If you haven't experienced it, don't knock it.

1. brianzen profile image59
      brianzenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is actually a documented thing, there is research about the difference between it and meditation, speaking in tongues disconnects the person from their conscious mind and meditation actually generates new types of brain wave activity. in essence speaking in tongues reflects so little brain activity at the time that researchers could not reason it to mean anything conclusive while beta wave activity associated with meditative states showed enlarging of critical areas of the brain, as well as improvements to the performance speed of that brain. (not that inconclusive disproves validity, I simply state what the program suggested.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have experienced watching someone who acted as if they spoke in tongues.  Several someone's, in fact.  It sounded like google de google de google.  Of course, later on I found out the best one at faking this was a child molester and also a part time holiness preacher.  It seems to be a form of self hypnosis for some believers.

3. profile image54

I know some who claim they have experienced that but they now spend their days in a padded cell writing their speeches on the walls with crayons. Do you think we should let them out?

30. earnestshub profile image83

rghjgtgergj3497896745ternzdk!!3k dfbkhigj

That's all I got for now. Learnt that off Sarah Pailin.

All I saw was code.

Yep! That's all I saw too! lol

lol lol
          speaking in codes.
          more interesting !! lol

Hey wait maybe it is code, and if we decipher it something cool happens. A really great all powerful affiliate sponsor, think of it, wait what if that's how we got that jeezy shoe thing !

Yeah, what happened to him? lol

Jeezy oh jeezy save this wretched thread in thy mercy

I am still recovering from that spammer, I got really pissed with him and went after his IP!
                  Mind you he would probably improve this thread! lol

31. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

I think speaking in tongues reverts back to making noises before language was language as we know it. I have no evidence of this, but it explains why studies show a lack of activity in the control and language regions of the brain, and why speaking in tongues is a "language" of few repetitive syllables which generally mimic the style of your church leaders, and will change when influenced by hearing someone speak in tongues with syllables that were formerly not part of one's speaking in tongues "vocabulary".

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Forgot to mention, it also explains why the art of speaking in tongues predates Jesus myths and is practiced by so many varying cultures.

Yes that was the other thing The babblers are like an ancient gnostic heterodox practice not condoned by mainstream christianity.

32. earnestshub profile image83

It's a pile of old cobblers is what it is! lol

33. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

My view was that Speaking in Tongues refered to possesion, allowing the inhabited body to speak in tongues of many nations.

Nowadays however it seems to be more related to blatherings in gospel churches tongue

34. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

nv;'efoi278t8gvnbwwvk/wqe;iori5'q   fnrj3v;2193ui]  h3o1von[7[347t[1 gnr2iv;q452buy85    big_smile

Sorry. I was overcome by the spirit.    wink

35. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 14 years ago

Sometimes I wonder why people spend more time on things meaningless to them. First of all it is the walk of "faith." Mind you, anyone can blah blah blah! The Scriptures cannot be broken! John 10:35. These words are beyond the letters...They're Spirit and Life.

It will be most religious of anyone; religionists and non religionists to debate about it. If you do not accept it or believe it, good for you. Others do! Believing is a choice.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In some things, believing is an ability to ignore logic and reality.  As in " the ability to ignore scientific findings because you do not agree with the results.

1. Andrew0208 profile image58

At every point in time in daily affairs of humans, you're believing in one thing or the other, I hope anyone will not be ignoring any logic and reality doing just that. No man is an Island! Knowledge is power. The Spirit life is as real as the life you live today.

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image60

"Randy Godwin" what results are you referring too exactly? "Believing is an ability to ignore logic and reality". What logic & what reality are we ignoring? As far as I know, there hasn't been any scientific findings to prove unequivocally that there is no God, so what in the world are you talking about?

36. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

Never will I get distracted on things that truly work in my hands and on my creative tongue till date. God's Word cannot fail from ages to eternity. Speaking in tongues is only a gift in reality to them that believe. I thank God for this great gift and tool of the Spirit for diverse manifestations of God's Spirit.

Still learning more of God's Spirit on the same. It is meaningful and resourceful to me and many others across the globe, so I care to know more of Him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)