Jesus Christ Fact or Fiction

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (144 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I think many hubbers will be shocked at the fact that I would have posted such a thread!

As I am a devout Christian.

However recently after doing research I have been coming to the relization that not all of what is said in the bible could be fact esspicailly in regards to the subject of Jesus Christ.

I am wondering who can (If anyone) can provide concreate evidence that everything written about Jesus Christ is fact.

Or if after years of translation the facts about Jesus Christ and his earthly ministry has been corrupted by the various changes in the translations of the bible?

1. Abe Normal profile image60
      Abe Normalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WELL SAID

2. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is none to offer, unfortunately. No evidence other than what is mentioned in the bible exists about Jesus. In fact, the bible contains quite a few errors in it's historical accounts, hence we can't even use it as a reliable source.

In all likelihood, Jesus was as mythical as every other god.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not true.  Anne Rice is writing a series of books on the early life of Jesus. Much of what she writes validates the existence and greater meaning of..........

Oh wait, they're novels.  Crap, I thought I had something...

nevermind

1. profile image55

Lol. big_smile

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian we believe by Faith that the Bible is the word of God. We believe that God is Love, God is Truth. Since the Bible is the word of God and God doesn't lie, then we accept that God's Word the Holy Bible, although written by man was recorded through the power of the Holy Spirit, God also. With regards to Jesus could you be more specific that which you think  is non-factual? This is a very broad statement of generality. Can you substantiate the non-factual points and if so how and where.

1. profile image55

Notice that when you begin a statement with "we believe by Faith" and then follow it up as if it were reality by using circular and fallacious logic to support the statement, you'll find that you already have answered your own questions.

No charge. smile

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is your definition of faith?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The same as everyone's Dent - you saying it is from "proof" lol or "evidence" LOL is not going to change anything.

Face it - your beliefs are garbage. It is not even like they make you a better person. sad

Unless you think "judgmental hypocrite" is a good person? wink

1. profile image0

Have you been viewing yourself in the mirror again?

No Dent. But it wouldn't hurt of you looked in one occasionally. Is that what Jeebus told you to do when he said "turn the other cheek"? Dear me.

1. profile image0

I know my shortcomings. I know I am not perfect. You on the other hand in your own condescending way believe you are perfect.

2. profile image0

Can Q answer a question himself? I remember sneakor accusing Q of being you and vice versa. Makes sense to me now.

1. profile image55

Mark is free to answer questions posed to me just as I am free to answer questions posed to him. You're free to believe he and I are one and the same if that helps you in some way.

The fact of the matter is that you'll find consistency in non-believers answers as opposed to believers who continue to disagree vehemently against each other trying to figure out their own doctrines. That may be why we all appear similar to you.

2. profile image55

I personally do not define words that are already well defined. Do you not have access to some dictionaries?

2. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Knowing the inability of man to comprehend and translate His "truth" from generation to generation, and knowing that man is capable of distorting the truth to fit his own selfish gain, WHY would an all knowing God give humans the task of writing his thoughts? This is a scam, and any person not afraid of superstitious nonsense will accept it as what it is. Garbage.

4. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You guys are really funny....to say that you are a devout Christian and then to question the biblical account of Jesus Christ is inconsistent. A Christian brings his or her understanding in line with the Word of God.They do not require God to prove His Word to them.

You either believe or you don't, you either seek revelation of the Word from God, or you enter into these pointless discussions with the Hubpages atheists and wind up right where you started.

It is easier to minister to those who have never believed than to reason with one who says they devoutly believe. Christianity is absolute, God is real, Jesus is Lord and the Holy Spirit is still moving.

Certainly there are a lot of questions and misunderstandings of the Word of God. We demand answers and explanations so that we can get a better personal understanding.....but when you allow the Word of God to be the definitive answer to all things, God will show you in His Word what you are looking for, He will guide to historical accounts that are not religious, He will provide you with sources of knowledge and information that also is not religious, but which proves the events of the Word and the life and times of Jesus Christ.

We just get so cocky and arrogant....I think it is because of the pressure of the unbeliever....and we, believers, turn around and don't want to be out-talked, out-reasoned or out-done. When, it ain't even about the unbelievers ridiculous spouting. 

It is about Jesus who had enough power and love you you to humble himself and become like His creation. He proved a point that we'll never get.... Less is more....

5. Challah1202 profile image57
      Challah1202posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid I look for "concrete evidence" too.  I find that Jesus calls for faith not evidence.  He told Thomas that it was good that he believed, but he blessed those who would believe without seeing evidence.  Paul urged us to walk "by faith, not by sight." 

When you get to the bottom line, all of life is faith based.  Your actions are all controlled by what you believe will happen.  Faith is not optional, only what we choose to put faith in.  I choose Jesus.

6. cromestrings profile image59
      cromestringsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When we say Jesus Christ, It refers to Christ Consciousness just Like Buddha. So when you read all those stories referring to  the Consciousness then stories are beautiful.

If you think in Earthy nature then it will be difficult to digest.

1. profile image55

What is "Earthy nature" in terms of thinking?

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To have an earthly nature IS to be/have consciousness.
        Any awareness (consciousness) is of thought, perception, perspective, opinion, intellect. All pertain to the psyche, simple or complex.

That which is beyond consciousness, Grace & Faith, being free of all elements of necessity. Indeed, the Breathe is without need and provides life to all things and is all things.

The Christ (or Anointing) is that Grace. Transforming the human being in body, psyche and spirit into a complete entity; removing the blindness and assumption of need.

Where there is no need, there is no conflict of thought;
        a fullness of enlightenment, peace, assurance and infinite ability.

1. profile image55

I'm envisioning a roomful of chimps and typewriters. big_smile

7. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus' biographers never met him and didn't write the first word about him til 30 after he died based on hearsay. Let alone whether he existed or not. He couldof been bases on several people kiinda like the stories of Robin Hood. Trying to quote an exact phrase by someone who has been dead 30 years if an impossibilty,

8. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no contemporary historical evidence that Jesus existed as a mortal or otherwise.

In several of the earliest editions of Mark, held widely as the first of the canonical gospels - there isn't even a resurrection or virgin birth.

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Since I am far from being a devout Christian myself I will not offer an opinion on your opening other than to say that you are a very brave soul to open yourself up like that and be willing to subject yourself to the inevitable onslaught.
    I also think that it speaks highly to who you are as a person and a Representative of Christianity, people who claim to know all the right answers on this topic scare the crap out of me.

1. profile image0

Thank you

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

MDawson,

First the message that has been given to us, by the man or concept or story or what ever Jesus Christ is/was is a very beautiful and profound gift. That is the most important thing to remember.

second, I am not in possession of 'proof' either way.

I believe that not everything in the bible is true and I must admit to myself that Jesus' story may not be everything we have been led to believe. If the entire Jesus saga turns out to be untrue...we still have God.

Jesus Christ, Fact or Fiction...or somewhere in between...

Mikel

4. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

as there are a lot of similarities between Jesus & Krishna, I think all what we know about Jesus Christ is a myth or is copied from Krishna's story
    For example:

Jesus and Krishna were called both a God and the Son of God. Both were sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man
    Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity
    Their adoptive human father was a carpenter.
    Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent.
    Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star.
    Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna's parents stayed in Mathura.
    Jesus and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted.
    Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah." Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki."
    Both claimed: "I am the Resurrection."
    Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine.
    Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured "all manner of diseases."
    Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead.
    Both selected disciples to spread his teachings.
    Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies.
    Both were known for their ascensions into heaven.

Too many coincidences

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

@ MDawson   I can only express an opinion. I do not believe that translation of scripture is but approx. 10% of the problem with scripture. I believe the problems arose when everyone started interpretating these scripture.
        When the bible is studied; I say studied instead of read because it takes much much study in order to see past all of the interpretations that have been interjected into the faith.
       In my opinion the lies that are taught about the prophetic messages are to blame for the precieved necessity for PRIVATE interpretation.
        If our bibles are printed in English; we need to learn how to read english.  The answers are there when we look beyond our own understanding of what we are about to read.

To interpretate the prophesy is changing the clearly stated message.  Hideing the truth as to what Jesus was teaching.
      One truth can not have 100's of diffrent meanings.

Thank you for this question.

1. profile image0

You have answered this very well for me. I appreciate you taking the time and answering this question is such a factual way.

It helped me out tremendously.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Except the bible was not written in English. smile

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Guy who managed to walk on water got killed on wooden panel, is this a fact of son of god ?

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You guys are only going to hurt yourselves trying to think. Just go with the first thought that pops into your head!big_smile

If I did, it wouldn't turn out well for you wink

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Ron I bet you're a real badass!big_smile

No, just a smartass.

2. profile image55

Is that why you never bother? big_smile

3. profile image0

LOL

4. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well my first thought is Jesus is just normal human who got hyped more than celebrity sex tapes and got status of "son of god" from deluded people when in fact everyone knows that he can't even managed to survive on wooden panel yet everyone claims he will save us all.

8. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

A devoted Christian should be able to have evidence that Jesus is fact. I take it you are one of the many people the bible describes in Hosea 4:6

"my people are destroyed because of lack of knowledge"

Honestly if you claim to be a devoted Christian you should be ashamed of asking such a question...

1. MrTooree profile image60
      MrTooreeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are so right. If anyone says that they are a Christian, then they have asked JESUS to come into their heart. And if JESUS lives in them, then they shouldn't have to wonder if HE is fact or fiction. That's what faith is all about. It's the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. If you're a believer - then you believe. It's that simple.

You seem to be defining faith as the absence of reason.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

A reasonable person understands that all things proceed from faith. A persons mom and dad had faith that doing what they do would give them a child....it was faith before it was fact.

Some may say it was trial and error, but that is not so in the strictest sense because if they had no faith that they would conceive, there would be no point to make the attempt to conceive.

Faith-Belief that something is before the fact

Reason-Gathering together of facts with or without drawing a conclusion

2. profile image55

Then, it is all about wishful thinking and nothing else? There are really no gods, just a belief in them, yes?

No, there is a  God.....

1. profile image55

Show him to me, then.

Seek HIM and you will find HIM !!! Don't seek HIM and you won't find HIM !!! It's that simple !!!

1. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Somebody has got to go hunting or no one is eating wild Game.
                Unless it runs out in front of a car and jumps on it..

God seldom does that... But ... when HE does come a hunting for ya....you aren't going to get away. He sometimes does do that. If he does
                    Nobody is going to convince you that he didn't.

You're right !!! I messed up. Sorry !!!

1. Jerami profile image59
                    Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't be sorry, you were correct   
                    When we don't want to see something we won't.

2. profile image55

Been there, done that. Nada, Zilch. So, to make things simple and easy for you to convince me, show him to me. Can you or not?

9. LisaG profile image61
    LisaGposted 14 years ago

If you are really a Christian, you don't seem to have much faith.

Christians live by faith.  You cannot prove everything in the bible, and since you cannot prove everything in the bible, that does not mean it is not true.

Too many people today want proof of this and that in the bible.  The bible is the divine Word of God. That is something, as a Christian you must believe. If you don't, then you are not worthy to be called Christian.

This type of intollerance is one reason the religion is dying a well-deserved death.  The millions of interpretations of "true" Christianity can't all be true.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, then let "religion".... "die a well-deserved death", because what remains will be pure Faith in Christ as per the Bible's words,  because true Faith isn't a "religion" anyway, except as described in the Bible.

And the Earth does not really have 4 corners...

Except as described in the bible.

1. profile image0

Many things in the Bible are symbolic,  or used to describe things in  ways that common-sense people can understand them from that vein.   

Such interest from someone who doesn't believe the Bible!  That interest from non-Believers never ceases to amaze me.

I'm also greatly interested in what makes mass-murderers tick, but I don't follow them as a way of life.

2. getitrite profile image72

If we nonbelievers were delusional like you, then I'm sure we would get it.  You should start referring to us as nondelusional instead of nonbelievers, because thats the truth of the matter. 

Common Sense?!  Brenda, you are so funny!

Everyman thinks himself right in his own eyes.....call yourself what you'd like non delusional, nonbelievers, unenlightened, unaware, fearful, untaught, angry and in denial..... they all work for me. big_smile

That is a good definition of a religionist, not someone who deals in truth or facts! lol

How are you Ernest....hope things are well with you and your family...

What exactly is a religionist? It comes up as a misspelling when I type it....did you make that up? big_smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Brenda, if you don't mind, I think it's time to put your prejudices on hold for a second.

I see you have a problem with the understanding of the bible yourself....simply from your statement above. Symbolic? B.S. All scripture was written in a primitive religious metaphoric language. Please, there are no symbols or signs.

Do realize you statement here is foolish/ignorance. Because, there are plenty of non-believers who WERE believers, but self-realized the truth, just as Jesus did. Religion's "GOD" concept is false.

Hi Cags,

You know that these so called ex-believers never had a heart conviction. They were just trying to intellectualize the innate awareness that there exists something beyond there physical beings.

So, these ex-believers do not count as believers.....ever.  Let's call them explorers. Oh and as far as self-realization is concerned, let's just say that they got tired of searching for the truth and settled on the next best thing....their personal understanding of right and wrong..... Something like Ophra

What a pile of bulldust! I am an ex religionist, and can tell you your blindness was shared by me. I decided to learn more, studied in depth, so deeply I studied my way right out the other end of it!
                  There are quite a few here on hubpages with the same experience.
                  The bible is a mistranslation of a mistranslation of a pack of controlling lies written by a few sick old woman haters.

Why do you guys always think that we believers have not studied beyond the scriptures....You make me think that you doubt our ability to test the validity of our faith....Studying extensively outside of doctrine is exactly why I am an ardent Christian.....

Just because someone has not arrived at the same solution does not mean that they have not studied.....

What ever the transcribers of the Bible were, whatever their politics or cultural beliefs were, the facts of Jesus and God cannot be sullied....They should not be made the issue because people were limited in their understanding......

2. profile image0

North, south, east amd west.

1. profile image0

Yup.
              See here a man with common sense as well as Spiritual sense.
              Good combination, Sir Dent.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Corners of a sphere?  How many scientists were tortured to death by Christians for pointing out this absurdity?

Let's not stop there, how many Christians were martyred in ancient  Rome? How many are being killed this very day in Muslim nations. Villages are being ransacked, women and children raped, men murdered because they will not renounce Christianity.

Come on man, if you want to see the truth, don't peep at it. Take a good look at it. There are no innocents in this thing. Everyone has done foolish and evil things in the  name of God.....and......moving right along

Yep christians are being hacked to death in Africa this week.

Why? Because about a month ago they hacked the muslims to death!
                  Religion follows the religious tomes which teach hate and intolerance.

I guess they are operating in "an eye for an eye"....I don't know, it is wrong no matter who is killing who.....the point is that death in the name of religion does not or should not negate religion.

What are you going to do, wiped our nations because they have gone to war with other nations and innocents have been unjustifiably killed?  We would not be here, none of us if we did this....it is the same principle with religions.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Brenda,

Way to Go!!! big_smile, big_smile, big_smile

Ron, you wrote, "The millions of interpretations of "true" Christianity can't all be true.

You are so right, the point of agreement in Christianity is that Jesus is the Son of God, that He was born without sin, that He came to pay the price for our separation from God which was caused by the first man (Adam), that He, (Jesus), died on a cross bearing the sin of the world, He descended into the depths of Hell and suffered our punishment for three days and three nights, that He rose from the dead with all power in His hand, and that He is coming again.

And, that if you receive Him as your personal Lord and Savior, you have everlasting life.

The rest of it is what it is........

Is that what the wars have been fought over? lol

And you might want to do a little research because not all you Kristians believe the Jeebus was the Sun God. wink

Dear me - still - you don't actually have to back anything up do you? And the old "they were not real Christians" getout means it doesn't really matter what the history books teach us about your beliefs does it?

Talk about willful ignorance. Will you never learn? Or will you guys be spreading this war mongering nonsense until you Kause the final Konflikt?  sad

@mdawson - good for you for asking the question.

Mark,

(I hope your family is well-good to hear from you) big_smile

Say what you will, a conviction of the heart creates a life long belief.

By definition, a Christian is a person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

History books and their accounts do matter and must be considered from the perspective of the writer.

We didn't start the first conflict (Satan and the angels) and we won't start the last conflict - but we will win it. big_smile

But you are Kausing this Konflikt.

Very well done - I am sure that is what the Gospels are all about - Kausing Konflikt.

At least that is what the history books teach us.

Still - not to worry - you are not responsible in any way are you? wink

Kristians Kausing Konflict

2. profile image55

What can you prove from the bible? Anything?

So then, every single word in the bible is the word of god? Every word? You believe every word to be true?

Every Word is inspired by the Holy Spirit....

God interacted with humans in the Old Testament and Jesus interacted with humans in the New Testament.

The stuff that God and Jesus said is what they said. True Statements
        The stuff that Moses and Matthew said is what they said. Truly Stated     

God didn't make anyone say what they said, but He also didn't change what they said. The bible shows us various human personalities as they encounter God. It reflects their shortcomings and failures, their arrogance and successes all within the context of God's love for all.

1. profile image55

And, no one ever saw god gain...

Sorry, but if you believe the rantings of those who were steeped in myth and superstition, those who ran from lightning and thunder because they believed it to be angry gods, then you really need to take a good hard look at yourself and start thinking for a change.

That is merely your unfounded belief, how do you know such things as fact? You don't.   

Your interpretation of scriptures is as valid and invalid as any other. Many believers might disagree with you.

3. getitrite profile image72

That's why we are so easily tricked.  Faith is not a good way to measure the veracity of anything.  In fact it's quite foolish.  BTW, the bible is not the devine word of God, it is a mere collection of books written by people neither you are I know, that are long dead.

By your logic, nothing you say will matter after you are gone either...so, what is the point this discussion?

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or realizing he in fact doesn't really have a grasp on Jesus' life and his teachings, simply because the Christian religious philosophy is 100% faith in a higher power. Common-sense says "that's false" and can become a detriment to one's existence.
      Interesting that you actually say that, because when SCIENCE DEBUNKED the "GOD" concept and the basis for Christianity, in the 1970's, it was discredited by the Roman Catholic Church, by attacking only two science, claiming that two specific sciences weren't established enough. However, 40 years later, those two science fields are now full accredited and considered reliable.

Therefore, leads to one conclusion- There is no god. Especially, where the Christianity religious philosophy goes.
      The bible is a book written by man. You give a power of B.S. when you label a divine word of God.

Christianity's philosophy forces one to go against their own natural existence, so as to sacrifice their life for a hopes of a better life than what they have now? This is absurd, because you have to live this life, and should there be an after-life, common-sense says, you'll lose your human consciousness and when that happens.....you'll never know whether or not you are even alive. When dead, your human consciousness ends. When that happens, you will never again KNOW whether or not you live.

So, please spare the dribble. As for Jesus being fact or fiction. Ancient World History will show that Jesus was in fact a person. He was born, by human parents. His teachings were against the religious church, god-kings, oracles and mystics, the educated elite of that time. Jesus, in fact, despised those who promoted religion's FAKE GOD as an idol of worship.

He specifically told his followers to NOT look to religion, because it's "GOD" was indeed false. How special is that the religious leaders of his time, had him executed for no crime.

To understand that- the religious establishment of educated elite, knew Jesus wasn't teaching religion and saw him as a threat to their usurped power and wealth, because he somehow knew that the religion's "GOD" concept was a hoax.

Please remember, SIN is a religious term. It's made to make you feel insecure and worthless, when the actual opposite is true.

That's my take on it.

5. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not very subtle is it? Don't ask questions. Your faith is weak. You're not worthy to be a christian..

Ugh.

Pandora....

Ask as many questions as you like....you may not agree with the answers, but you are never prohibited from asking the questions.

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Amen Lisa.

11. profile image53
    jeanc1121posted 14 years ago

Yes, Jesus existed. Take a university course on the New Testament or read something about the Historical Jesus.  What you will discover is that many of the things written about Jesus were written many years after His death. You'll find also that people who've made serious study of the New testament agree that not all of the bible was literal. 
         The gospels were a combination of historical memory and metaphorical narrative.  The narratives were meant as teaching tools much the way Jesus himself taught in parables.  What's important is to discuss what these narratives mean- what they teach.

Read Marcus Borg - JESUS - Uncovering the Life, Teachings and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary.  It's fascinating and great food for thought.
    Jean

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can believe, but there's no proof. In fact at that time more than 20 jesus were crucified. So which was the son of God ? Was there a son of God ?
      I don't think so.

Today there are a lot of Swamis, Masters, Enlightened ones,Yoguis, western and eastern style. Are they really what they preach ? I doubt it.

1. profile image0

How many of them deserved to die by crucifiction? How many did not deserve?

I wasn't there, so who knows ! LOL

1. profile image0

I figured since you knew about so many other Jesuses that you would at least know enough history on them to give me an exp-lanation.

At that time crucifixions were common, so there's not much data about them.
              And  long ago nobody had ID's LOL

2. tantrum profile image61

Well, Jesus deserved it, by the jewish and roman point of view. He was a rioter.
          ( if we have to believe in the bible )

1. profile image0

The Romans didn't want to do it. Only the pharisees and Caiaphas the High priest wanted to be rid of Jesus. They fabricated stories to tell against Him. Pilate wanted to let Him go.

So then tell me why would He not defend Himself when accused?

First of all, the Romans wanted him crucified  as much as the Hebrews, but they left them to deal with that.

I wasn't in the trial, so I don't know. Maybe his case was undefensible.

1. profile image0

So then maybe He was exactly who He said he was.

Ib said he was a rioter. That doesn't mean he was God's son. Before him lots of beings claimed the same. Krishna, Mithra, Quetzalcoatl, to name a few .Were they  the son of God as well ?

1. profile image0

How many of them proved it? Stories are easily fabricated. They are also easily proven false unless they are true.

Mithra was born of a rock before man was created, but yet two shepherds helped him to be born?

Horus was born of a virgin who actually had sex many different times?

No idea about Krishna just yet but if I searched I am sure I would find the right info.

2. profile image55

Many have already tried to find evidence to support the existence of Jesus and failed.

Did it not occur to you that since all the information on Jesus was written many years after his death, his existence was most likely mythical?

Nope....simply because anyone who has as much controversy surrounding them as Jesus does has to have existed in the physical.

People either love Jesus or they hate Jesus....and, it's not getting any less controversial as time goes by.....

I love Him

You love a guy who may not have even existed? You love a 2000 year old dead guy? which is it?
          Religion is simply a sub-conscious response to fear of death. Testable. Provable.

2. profile image55

Your reasoning fails as one can extend it to other mythical beings and see that it is false.

No, people either blindly follow Christianity or they do not.

12. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

Well, what does he come under in the Public library?

13. profile image53
    jeanc1121posted 14 years ago

what's significant is that a sufficient number of people were so impressed with Jesus that they met secretly (out of fear of the Romans) and continued to spread His very positive message from Israel where He lived and preached to neighboring countries and peoples. The difficulties with religion are man made not God made.
    Jesus message was love God, Love one another, share with the poor, visit the sick and the imprisoned, comfort the sorrowful, stand up for justice. Do all you can to make the world a better place. Deviations from this message in word or action are human failings not failings of Jesus.

Unless you have a problem with His message (or the message attributed to Him) why waste time arguing about His existence?  Belief in Him and adherence to His lessons can only result in a better world.

1. profile image55

It is the crux of the entire Christian machine, hence there is a great deal at stake in this argument. The very foundations of that institute would crumble.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the track record of Christianity or any of it's affiliate corporations. big_smile

What are you talking about Q. What institute?

Jeanc1121,

You said it!!!!!

14. MikeNV profile image66
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

While I could be wrong (Wouldn't be the first time although my track record is pretty good) that the New Testament is written by people who are talking about Jesus but never actually met him.  So it's a story telling version.

I've watched my share of documentaries and taken a number of religion education classes in College and while most stories of Jesus are similar they are never always the same.

The concrete evidence you seek isn't really there.  The place Jesus was born for example isn't concrete.

Then you have to factor in things like translation from one language to another... never 100% accurate.

Now people also do not consider the "Dark Ages" and who was the care taker for the current versions of the Bible for which there are many.

The Bible wasn't written on paper... the printing press came along centuries later... about 1440.

It's all fascinating.  Look before Jesus and you have similar stories... then go back and look at Sumerian Culture.

Factor in Dinosaurs and Physics... and what you end up with is a choice you have to make.  That is the basis of "faith".  You CHOOSE to believe or not believe.

Belief is a choice.

15. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Fiction. smile

16. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

WHY do we always have to argue about religion? WHY do you posters care what others believe or don't believe? If I want to believe in leprechauns, it's my right to do so! If I want to believe in absolutely nothing, that's my right, as well.

One cannot prove the existence of God anymore than one can disprove it. Can't we just leave it at that? I believe in God because of faith, not because of any proof. That's the whole point. If you don't want to believe, or if you prefer to believe in flying purple dragons, that's fine by me. It's your life!

I think that is the point.....people cannot let it go because it is so very real and such a huge part of their lives...I think people are shaking the tree to see if the leaves fall of before they commit to belief of any kind and, I also think that believers are so grateful for the change in their lives that they refuse to have someone spit on their experience.

I also think that both sides are sold out to their beliefs and we are warring in an effort to convince those who are on the fence that "our side is the right side".

ps...there is a purple dragon who lives under the sink in my classroom..... big_smile

No sweetie pie - people are sick and tired of people like you dismissing everything they say as garbage and jamming their ridiculous hate filled beliefs into every where.

You cannot have me murdered for taking a contrary position any more and I am free to voice my opinion.

I am impressed with the ill will you seem determined to generate though - you have convinced me you are a real christian. Think if you carried on being this aggressive eventually you might provoke some one into conflict with you?

I am sure jesus would be very proud. big_smile

2. profile image55

Because the beliefs of believers are crammed down our throats and we are forced to respect those beliefs as if they were a reality. There is also the problem of evangelism.

17. Bucks here profile image61
    Bucks hereposted 14 years ago

Jesus Christ is pure fact Rome recorded it. Why would anyone want to doubt that he is real. Rather say Allah is a joke, Mohammud is a Kaffour Buddha sucks his thumb, Krishna ans Shiva are pervese. None of them did anything for humanity. And did they exist or are they figments of imagination like Greek Gods etc.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Buck here, Roman records of the period provide very little evidence that there was a Jew called Jesus. Josephus, a Jewish historian who worked for Rome and wrote a history of his own people, does mention Jesus and also the early Christians. I suppose you could argue that the Josephus account is a Roman account in respect of who was employing Josephus.

18. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Can you provide an exact instance where these beliefs are, in fact, 'crammed' down your throat?
    Who is 'forcing' you to accept their beliefs? And why are you subjecting yourself to such cramming or forcing? No offense, Q, but I know a handful of sadists & masochists who would wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.

Furthermore, how exactly is tel-evangelism affecting you? Simply change the channel or tell you cable company to remove TBN from your list.

It is really that simple.

Now, to flip the script. There is some cramming & forcing going on. It is the educational system. It is forcing children to learn information that is not solid or completely proven without bias.

The second is capitalism, economics. Forcing people to be slaves to the 'almighty dollar' or end up homeless, hungry, starving children in the back alley's of the planet.

Let's keep things in perspective, man.
    It sounds as if your war and wound with religion is well, self inflicted.

1. profile image55

That is truly hilarious coming from you. I damn near blew coffee through my nose reading that.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As why it was said precisely to you.
        enjoy your coffee smile

19. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

both

20. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

There is some physical evidence that the story of Jesus does have some truth to it. We do know now for a fact that Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea around the time when Jesus was crucified. There is a road side stone from the period with his name on it. this is evidence independent of the bible. We also know that Jews were crucified at the time of Jesus and that the way they were crucified is very close to biblical accounts. I believe it was in the 1960s that the bones of crucified Jews from the period were unearthed in their stone coffins. There was evidence on one of the rib bones of a crucified man that the use of a spear plus the breaking of the legs was something Roman solders did to hasten on death. It wasn't always done because the idea was to have them suffer a long time as a warning to others but it could be done and in one instance it was done. There is a Jewish historian writing around the time of Jesus who actually mentions Jesus and the early Christians. This again is independent of the bible.

All of this is still very sketchy. Jesus would have been an excellent name for a savior because I believe that the name actually means God Saves.

It is true that Jesus' biographers never actually met Jesus. Certainly if he existed he would have been a most holy Jew and it is doubtful he would have thought of himself as divine. There are stories in the earliest gospels that ring true for a charismatic preacher. The fact that he could perform no miracles where he grew up and people actually knew him makes me think he was real because it reads as true.

21. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

Jesus was a fact but "Christianity" is a fiction created by Paul.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just keep trying very hard to start a war, Mr. Peaceful. wink

22. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

May be one likes to read the book "Christianity: A Journey from Facts to Fiction" by Mirza Tahir Ahmad:

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/ch … index.html

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)