Why is it important to attend church regularly ?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. grace_more profile image56
    grace_moreposted 14 years ago

I have heard many arguments both in favor and against this subject. Many would say, it is a must to be regular in church attendance to earn a good standing before God. Some others say, it is not important whether you attend a church or not, what important is your relationship with God.

So what do you think, Can a Christian be true to God without attending a congregation/church ? Or is it a must that he will be Christian only if he attend one with out fail.?

1. double_frick profile image59
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

to perpetuate the illusion that you are holy and a "good christian"

right?

go to church sunday morning and the bar sunday night.
      holla!!!!!

*sigh*
      just kidding.

in my experience church is to show off who is more churchy and....rich.
      but thats assemblies of god.
      *shrugs*

religion makes me want to puke. *vomits*

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With you on all of that!
        Check out "Antecessor" our latest hubber. A pleasant surprise, and wonderful hubs! smile

2. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Church = Reaffirmation

In other words, going to church reaffirms the indoctrination.

3. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We go to church, in this life, so we won't have to go to hell in the next life.  Simple, huh?  At least that's what I was taught.  I can't see any other reason to spend time in such dreary settings.

2. _cheryl_ profile image83
    _cheryl_posted 14 years ago

"Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car." I believe that when one can truly find God, going to church is no longer a task to be checked off in order to be in good standing. It's so much deeper than that. When you receive a love letter from someone you admire, nobody has to tell you that you need to read it. You read it, sometimes over and over because you want to, and because you value it's meaning. Going to church for me is very much like that, it gives me an opportunity to have that time with him, and even more so helps feed and inspire my soul! smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

That's right, you don't have to attend church to hear the word of god. Here is some of gods wisdom straight from the "good book"

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night

But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house.  Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst.  (Deuteronomy  22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions.

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.  Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you.  You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.  And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.  (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden.  When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death.  (Deu

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually Jesus didn't want you to kill women who had sex out of marriage, he wanted you to throw them to crowds of men to be soddomised and then outcast. (at least that is what seemed to happen most of the time to women who did that last time I read through the bible)

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I find it really interesting when someone joins this site and then makes a choice of subject matter on which to make their first forum post hmm

What interests me is: That the first post is like your first impression to existing hubbers here.

Why do so many feel the need to use their first impression to stand on a mountain and bleat out loudly about an irrelevant  religious issue, instead of using that first post as an opportunity to say "Hello." hmm

1. grace_more profile image56
      grace_moreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pearldiver, I don't get you.

5. profile image55
    probafixposted 14 years ago

One of the most important reasons that we go to church is to practice love toward the brethren in the form of fellowship.

6. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I don't think you're a better Christian or even a good Christian for simply attending church. In my experience, attendance has always been more about fellowship and showing support for your congregation.

7. earnestshub profile image80

To remain indoctrinated perhaps? lol

8. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

It's really easy to attack a literalist interpretation of the Bible. When tearing down any religion, people tend to put up a 5-year-old's understanding of that faith (which, sadly, is what too many have), and then attack THAT. I was raised atheist. Been there, done that. I used to love baiting and attacking Christians, especially the fundamentalist types. I even jerked a Bible from a guy's hand and tossed in a puddle one night, as he tried to 'convert' me. The Bible is full of inconsistencies when studied literally. It's not a book of science, that's for sure. As for the suggestions of bashing  your kid's head on a rock, and all the other parts where God behaves like an irrational child, these are obviously not ways on which to base one's behavior.

YES, it contains disturbing passages
    YES, it contains logical inconsistencies
    YES, it depicts God as punishing and Sadam-Hussein-like at times
    YES, it's dead wrong on things when taken literally

But for me,  because of certain experiences which are deeply personal and which outweigh mere literal reading,

YES, it is about forgiveness
    YES, when approached liberally, it is a source of strength and sustenance
    YES, it affirms the beauty of the human soul
    YES, it celebrates love and compassion, the answer to so many things
    YES, it makes perfect sense to the higher part of me
    YES, it is possible that God took the form of a man, and walked the earth, fully man and fully God. (that is a very long, and esoteric discussion...I KNOW it sounds absurd!)

The FEELING I have gotten when, for example, hearing the Divine Liturgy in an Orthodox Church  filled with a sort of spirtual longint, THIS affirms it all for me, as do many other things.

I'm not so much interested in the map, as to what the map points to. To me, the Bible is a map. It points to something beyond our rational mind's ability to comprehend. I don't try to convert people, or show disdain for those who are different. I was one of them. I need not denigrate another's faith to affirm my own. I cannot say it's right for another. I can only share how it has changed me. I can say that it's right FOR ME.

My faith is not defendable on logical terms. I know that. I struggle with it, mightely at times. And yet, there is SOMETHING I cannot ignore--and it has to do with LOVE, it has to do with MEANING.

A Hindu Yogi once told me "The ass can take  you to the base of the mountain, but you need to leave reason behind to climb the mountain."

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That Yogi had a real sense of humour - it usually some assinine ass that tries to get you there, where you would have to be out of your mind to climb the religious heap.

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find this RIDICULOUS!!!

9. earnestshub profile image80

Well as someone who studied the bible thoroughly for years, I do not think it take a 5 year olds view to see it for the pile it is, and if you check out a bit of science the whole of it falls apart no matter how you read it. The bronze aged hate filled tome is almost interchangeable with the quoran, which most christians hate. But most christians I have challenged have never read more than a few lines in the NT, their beliefs came through indoctrination at an early age. smile

1. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Usually people spell the name of the Muslim holy book, "Koran", "Quran" or "Qur'an".  ;-)

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the comment.
        I am aware of the common spelling, thanks anyway though!

10. Iamsam profile image59
    Iamsamposted 14 years ago

a wonderful place to spend time...

11. CynthiaRucker profile image58
    CynthiaRuckerposted 14 years ago

What do you think..... People goes to church because they simply want to be close to God. The church must be a saintified place to have Gods preasence in it. Don't get it confused where there is the good lord the devil is near. So get information for the truth of Gods plans and how he works for you. You may want to ask around or use your imagination and common since and try God by yourself. It is a very very sinsitive subject.

12. errum fattah profile image60
    errum fattahposted 14 years ago

i didn't know its important to go to church or not..well, to me i think v should start our day with the name of God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)