Why do so many people not like the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 62 discussions (289 posts)
  1. Ann810 profile image46
    Ann810posted 8 years ago

Individuals that can't read may not like the Bible because they can't read it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12923609_f260.jpg

2. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Always good to ask a question and start out by insulting the people who are going to answer it. 

Anyway, I don't have any issues with the Bible as a piece of literature.  I have issues with people using it as a reference to justify their hate and prejudice.  So the problem is not with the book but the people who see it as an undeniable piece of non-fiction that insist that everyone live their lives accordingly.

1. profile image0
      roobposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't hate anyone but I do disagree with peoples lifestyle choices. Are you talking about gays, muslims, etc? Well I am sure they disagree with Christians. We don't preach violence but that quran does!

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you don't hate, shame, or try to take rights away from those people then you are certainly entitled to disagree and my post wasn't in reference to you.

3. jlpark profile image76
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Robert - if you don't think Christianity preaches violence, you've not read yr bible - one of the most violent books out. As a gay person, I have no issue with Christians or their faith, I only disagree with the enforcing that others must follow.

4. Ericdierker profile image48
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Truly you speak of small order. This is a wholly by numbers a Christian country yet we have made by law same sex marriage. What is there to protest left? The book allows such action.

5. profile image0

Cite scripture that tells Christians to kill in modern day society. Back in old testament God did encourage some war. I can give you verses from quran that tells it followers to kill in name of Allah. Have you read lol.

6. My Esoteric profile image83
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I left the Church bc of major contradictions with the preaching of Love and 1) the violence I read abt in both the OT & NT, 2) the fact that no 2 Christian sects can agree on what the truth is,& 3) the 2000 years of violence practiced by the

7. jlpark profile image76
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Given that the Bible is used to protest, and sometime enact, bills/laws in modern society (gay marriage etc) using even OT verses, then any verse in the BIble stating "Kill for this reason" can be applied to modern society. Otherwise, cherry picking

8. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Robert hahahahaha! This guy categorises gays and Muslims, etc? Basically anyone who is not a white Protestants Christian is hates by some. At the same time humans are supposed to be smart but you are all arguing about a book.Can't live? Follow a book

9. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

When U get 2 be an ADULT, U'll understand it's not UR job 2 agree or disagree w/ lifestyles of others. None of UR business! Period, The End. No one CARES what U think. What makes U think they would? UR a nobody.

10. profile image0

I gave Link scriptures that show that the new testament is no longer commands for us to follow in modern times. Anyone that does cherry pick has not studied the Bible. Yes like I said after the enlightenment violence went up. Smart people can be evil

11. Kaylen Hamlett profile image60
      Kaylen Hamlettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually Roob, there are Christians that do preach violence. Do I  need to mention Pat Robertson, Westboro Baptist, and of course  KKK? (Yes they do identify themselves as Christians). Just sayin, you can't assume all Christians don't preach violance

12. profile image0
      Jay C OBrienposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kaylen H:  Thank you, that is what I have been saying. Christian Fundamentalists are violent.  See Hub, "The Rabbis, Jesus and infanticide" and "Judge Not and you will not be judged."

13. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

JC 1Cor 6:3 says it all " do you not know we will judge Angels. Then why not matters of this life.
      Yes we are Judged.

14. profile image0

Who wrote Corinthians? It is Not Jesus. Go by what Jesus did. He never condemned anyone, never cast a stone or used a sword.  He forgave his killers on the cross.  He did all this so we would know what the Father is like.  Do likewise.

3. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Ann.....HUH???   Are you SURE you meant to write that statement as it reads??  Gosh, I hate to shock you Ann, but individuals who CAN'T READ, do not read ANY books.  Thus, if they CAN'T read, there really is no option for them to like it or dislike it.....

Further, where do you get the notion that  "so many people do not like the Bible?"  Frankly, that's really not a topic that comes up very often at all in conversation from day to day in our lives.  Certainly not in mine.  Nor do people simply walk up to others and mention out of the blue...."Hey, did I ever tell you I don't like the Bible?"

I was not raised in a Bible-reading family nor Religion.  The Religion I was born into, I rejected from my life 44 years ago & never looked back.
    I have read bits & pieces of the Bible. What I have read is mostly the NT.  Tried to read the OT, but I am not a fan of violence, blood & guts, Human sacrifice, incest, rape & slavery....so I steer clear of that sort of reading.

I have an enormous library as an avid reader which consists of Biographies, History and other non-fiction, with novels scattered here and there. 
    Just wondering....is there a point to your question?  Frankly Ann, I don't know how the general public can know the answer to your question.  It seems like it requires an individual personal response.  Good Luck!

Ann810posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's a reason for everything in the Bible. It's the human's manual for life.

2. fpherj48 profile image59

Of course Ann~ I can agree there R most likely HUNDREDS of reasons 4 what's written in the Bible.~ & UR point is? Human's manual 4 life? U can use it any way U like. MILLIONS of "humans" do not agree w/ U. a BOOK directs UR life? Have U no brain?

3. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the Bible is a manual for life then you must think that humans should shun ambition, liberty, and the inclination to investigate...which are all needed for humans to progress. The snake in the Garden was not the adversary...God was.

4. profile image0
      SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Have we really gotten so stupid that we believe the Devil is the good guy?

5. getitrite profile image72

The Devil never drowned the entire world, or rained fire down on gays. He never raped a virgin, or killed the innocent 1st born children of his enemies. Yes...we know! Just metaphors!  Those who have eyes but REFUSE to see! Mind control to perfection

6. nezzyknowz profile image59
      nezzyknowzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ITS A BOOK LMFAO NOTHING MORE BUT PEOPLE ARE BRAINWASHED INTO BELIEVING THEY SHOULD TRUST A GUY THEY NEVER MET!

4. profile image55
    peter565posted 8 years ago

The bible go ISIS style

Deuteronomy 17:2-5

“If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel, then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10
    “If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

The bible go Taliban style

Deuteronomy 22:20-22
    But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father's house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. “

Deuteronomy 17:12
    Anyone who shows contempt for the judge or for the priest who stands ministering there to the LORD your God is to be put to death. You must purge the evil from Israel.

Is it so surprising so many people hate the bible?

Well, there's nothing new under the sun. . . .

2. fpherj48 profile image59

Ann....U've convinced me U use the bible as Ur manual 4 life.  R all of ur comments as baseless, senseless & useless as "Well, there's nothing new under the sun?"  HUH? Really?~~Hello?  Earth to Ann~~ Please engage brain B4 speaking or writing.

3. Sgt Prepper profile image59
      Sgt Prepperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." Ecclesiastics 1:9

4. Angele Parris profile image59
      Angele Parrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paul- head the mission to the Gentiles. Peter - head the mission to the Jews. Jews and Gentiles are different. Those scriptures were for the Jews after Egypt.  This is the reason for the desert before the promised land.  It is like students today.

5. Kiss andTales profile image61

JC my device skips words . but I was saying if you said I do not cry. Does not mean you will not or can not in the future. Verse 16 proves that meaning

5. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

"Individuals that can't read may not like the Bible because they can't read it."

My hovercraft is full of eels.

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Keith  LMAO.  U make me crack up at least once a day!

2. profile image0

Well they may like it when they hear someone read it to them.

3. Dean Traylor profile image93
      Dean Traylorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That put a smile on my face.

4. Kiss andTales profile image61

JC when we believe Gods words we are never wrong. I trust them a 100 percent. So there is no argument my fellow huber peace to you.

6. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

I think you just answered this question yourself. It is because of attitudes like this that many people now despise the fact that this book has caused all kinds of warped perceptions of reality.
    However it is not the bible that is hated, but the people who decide to use the bible to judge others, while putting themselves in a position of superiority...pretending that they somehow know something beyond others. 
    I find that most of the time the bible is used to justify a person's individual racism, misogyny, xenophobia, paranoia, and general hatefulness.

The Heavenly Father also hate things in the Bible, but I don't hate anyone. God has the right to hate, He's the Most High God. You can know something beyond others as well, if you practice feeding your true being which is your spirit.

2. getitrite profile image72

You sound just like one of those Hebrew Israelites.

3. Ann810 profile image46

What's a Hebrew Israelite? It could've crossed your mind that I sound like a person that reads the Bible often; a Christian. But not the religious Christian, the spiritual Christian though.

4. fpherj48 profile image59

"God Hates things in the Bible? He has a RIGHT to hate? He's the MOST HIGH? (so there are OTHERS?)  Practice feeding UR true being?" WHERE do U get these OUTRAGEOUS, LUDICROUS & EMPTY statements? Parrot much?  Try independent thought.

5. profile image0

Try not using caps all the time.

6. fpherj48 profile image59

Fadmir..Mr.HI-school student~Shouldn't U be doing homework instead of thinking UR a smart ass who may suggest? I will emphasize how I CHOOSE.Earn UR Masters, come back when UR educated.U may NOT EVER suggest a thing to me,silly CHILD!

7. profile image0

Maybe you should get a degree in self-calm. That way you wouldn't be angry all the time.

8. Ericdierker profile image48

Paula I  am a little confused here. Your comment sure looks like it is personally attacking someone because of their age and status. Wow if you would have attacked a black gay like a student young person you would be in a world of hurt PC wise.

9. fpherj48 profile image59

Eric.I'm not responsible 4 UR confusion. I'm from the old school. A teen ager need not speak out snidely to an adult. I'll thank U 2 worry about UR own PC world, Eric. Black GAY?? Where'd that come from? Eric, take UR meds & don't ever lecture me

10. profile image0

You don't write like an adult nor act like one. Act your age.

11. Ericdierker profile image48

Paula I will lecture you whenever I feel like it. Especially when you mock someone's age and status in life. So just get over it.

12. fpherj48 profile image59

Ahhhh, the ramblings of a mouthy, inexperienced child & a silly old coot playing tough guy.....LOL.  This barely qualifies as mild entertainment. Eric, what U need to GET OVER is thinking ur the almighty resident Preacher. UR NOT. Nor R U a lawye

13. Ericdierker profile image48

Paula that fits right into the response to the question. It is not the Bible that causes people to feel superior over others it is something more base. But the Bible is blamed for human action. Simply an excuse. Do you have one?

14. Kiss andTales profile image61

Ok ! I will try to comment in certain box but if a box does not exist I can not. I am using. A mobile device which limits space. We are fellow hubers we can show more tact
      and kindness to each other that was my comment purpose, peace getit.

7. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12108949_f260.jpg

The bible is a book of contradiction.  It is a book which advocates discrimination against groups considered to be outsiders.  It is a divisive book.  It preaches the subjugation of women.   It is not inclusive of differing beliefs & lifestyle but it wholly exclusive,

People don't hate the bible.  They realize that the bible is a book written by men according to the historical socioculture of the time.  They know that the bible isn't relevant to postmodern times & to make it relevant to postmodern times is totally ludicrous, if not asinine.   They contend that the bible is just history, no more, no less.

Yes the Bible is history; it's also prophesy.

2. profile image0

What outsider groups? Favor is deceitful & beauty is vain, but if a woman feareth the Lord she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30. Don't take out of context. It teaches respect towards your husband but it also teaches men to respect their wives.

3. Dave Rupe profile image54
      Dave Rupeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Anne, the Bible is far from being accurate history. You'd see that if you study the history of religion as a whole and not just the Bible.

Have you heard of Louis Farrakhan? There is a reggae song that says GOD is so good He sends more prophets again. The bible does not discriminate. It offers salvation.The  only way to put it, is when you are in distress you know which father to run to

5. dashingscorpio profile image69
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ann810, History? You really believe Adam lived to be 937 years old? Noah had his first son at age 500? God created foreign languages because people were building a tower from earth to heaven? Samson killed 1000 men with a donkey jawbone? Really?

8. Janice Daniel profile image61
    Janice Danielposted 8 years ago

The r afraid to except the truth.  Being a messenger is hard work, but worth it. IJN Jas

@ Eric, I caught that and fixed it.  smile
      @ Getitrite, What Bible do you read since you're not into the KJV version and we've been played? . . . .

2. getitrite profile image72

I dont currently read ANY bibles! I have read the KJV, and some parts of other bibles, including the American Standard Version. Since they are all fraudulent nonsense, one is just as ridiculous as the others. Spirits do not exist, so no help there.

3. Ann810 profile image46

@ Getitrite, you have free-will to think whatever you want. Too bad you didn't engage in the experience of liking the Bible. Peace smile

4. getitrite profile image72

Why should I? I have thoroughly deconstructed your claim. I have no idea why u are still going on about this nonsense,as if u have not been thoroughly debunked. Disturbing!!!
      King James Bible is man-made fraud. A little research will confirm this.

5. profile image0

No getitrite, the Bible has never been proven to be false. It is actually used by religious and non religious scholars as a historical document. Research it and getitrite.

6. getitrite profile image72

Robert. Really?! I think its comically that u think u actually have a point. I have been hearing deluded people say nonsensical things like this, probably, many years before u were even born. The bible is mostly plagiarized nonsense.U've been tricked

7. profile image0

So are you saying that is has been proven false? No it has not. I don't care what you think! I didn't ask what you thought! Also are you saying it is not used as a historical document by scholars religious and non religious? Because it is! Look it up

8. getitrite profile image72

Maybe I'm not understanding what u mean. Could u post some links, please.  Thanks

9. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Getitrite, I am so relieved you finally admitted that you do not understand!  You seem to have an absolute for everything.  Why don't you go exploring on your own, and try not to dismiss all texts because you don't agree with one.

10. getitrite profile image72

Loli, No. What I'm asking is what context is he framing his question? In what context is the Bible used by historical scholars? Surely Historians cannot be using the Bible to confirm virgin births, resurrections, talking snakes, and nonexistent Gods

11. profile image0
    12. profile image0

one sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as impossible

-The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

13. getitrite profile image72

While it is true that scholars do look at every ancient document, available, to evaluate the past of a certain civilization, the bible is NOT a History book. When compared to VERIFIABLE history from reliable sources the bible doesn't get much right.

14. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you're wrong Getitrite, it is historically accurate.  There are civilizations people didn't think really existed that were mentioned in the bible until they found them in the past few hundred years.

15. profile image0

Great point Loli, I love that fact first heard it from the wonderful J.P. Morland!!(: I'm glad you understand.

16. getitrite profile image72

Loli, There are also real cities mentioned in Spider Man, In fact, a thousand years from now, someone reading Spider Man will be able to corroborate plenty of REAL historical places that were put into the fictional story. So Spider Man is real then?

17. profile image0

Like I said getitrite I would dispute facts with you but you keep mocking or bringing up what u think while u call our belief just something we think and false. Spiderman is a comic book, the Bible is God's word to Christians. Our hope & faith. B

18. getitrite profile image72

u are mistaken, I am disputing your facts. Do u not understand how analogy/comparison is used to deconstruct "facts"
      And furthermore u can't tell me that I dont know what Christians think. I was a born again sheep at one time myself. Think!

19. profile image0

Lol no! I debate facts with facts. My Bible is full of analogies should I start quoting them? You will just say that is just a belief not a fact. You are hypocritical. An analogy does not counter a fact. GOOD BYE get your facts straight!

20. Ann810 profile image46

Getitrite you seem to being Gettingitwrong instead, pun intended. Comic books were written by man.  The Bible was written through men-of-God by obedience, because they listened to the spirit of the Heavenly Father with their spirit.

21. profile image0

I know Ann. I can't continue the conversation when he repeatedly does not cite any facts and uses analogy. However when we use one or don't quote a fact then ours is false. People who don't want to know God at all are sometimes made blind. Goodbye An

9. roselinsojan profile image60
    roselinsojanposted 8 years ago

Dear friend ,it is difficult to follow Bible.I think it is the reason.

1. rickie profile image67
      rickieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are also a lot of contradictions within it that make following it difficult or impossible.  So I agree.

2. rickie profile image67
      rickieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or, maybe, she is content with what she believes, whatever that may be.  Which makes me want to revise my previous answer slightly to add:  Maybe the problem people have is not with the Bible, but with its followers.  "Wake up!"

3. Ericdierker profile image48

What? the picture with the question is the KJV bible.

4. getitrite profile image72

Actually the KJV is just another fraud, commissioned by King James in 1607, and finished three years later...then edited by Sir Francis Bacon.
      The oldest known bible(Sinai Bible) has over 14,000 differences from today's bible? You've been played!

5. Ann810 profile image46

Roselin, ask God to give you understanding of the KJV Bible through your spirit.

6. Angele Parris profile image59

It is not difficult to follow the bible. The Deuteronomy scripture is the reason Christ died on the cross - to free us from the curse of the Law. To save us from Deuteronomy (punishment for the teachings learned during slavery) and to offer salvation

10. rickie profile image67
    rickieposted 8 years ago

A lot of people use the Bible, just like other religious texts, to permit themselves to do bad things, and say that because of some of the antiquated stuff held therein, they are justified.  Leaders have started wars, claiming they are justified in the name of God and what's righteous.  Religious sects prevent things all the way from premarital sex (imagine trying to rationalize this with someone who is an adult yet chooses not to marry, but still wants to have a normal, healthy sexual relationship), to hair braiding, if you follow the bible very closely.  It is an old text meant for old times, and it has not adapted to modern society, claiming that this is just God's will.  Many people take issue with this because it excludes them or people they know and love from being treated with equality and dignity.  Not to mention, half of the population, women, that is, are considered second rate citizens in most parts of the bible, and yet a number of women go along with it, thinking that perhaps all they were created for was to be someone's wife and mother.  Though everyone loves their mother, and it is a noble role to embark upon in one's life journey, it is not everything in the realm of possibility for someone who is female.  A lot of modern women have trouble with this because they would rather focus on their careers and personal well-being, which is totally acceptable nowadays, and should have been sooner.  These are some of the things that come to mind when you mention people not liking the Bible. Have a great day!

1. Learn Things Web profile image92
      Learn Things Webposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Religious texts can take away moral responsibility because believers can place the blame for their bad behavior on God. He's the one who wants them to hate gays, oppress their wives, beat their kids, or shoot people at Planned Parenthood.

2. profile image0

No where does Jesus preach hate. I disapprove of gays for sure, nasty to me. The Bible says a women who fears the Lord shall be praised! The stoning of kids was for old testament not modern time & planned parenthood?... c'mon be real that was a w

just as Stalin and Mao used atheism to kill millions.

4. profile image0

No actually if you are bad... the Bible says you go to hell. So no you don't get to blame bad behavior on God. Maybe you should research online and Learn some Things on the Web.

11. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 8 years ago

I read it 18 times in 18 months from beginning to end. In addition, I studied seriously for 10 yeas. Savage, uncivilized, superstitious rubbish.

1. profile image0

Were you trying to find Jesus Christ or were you a skeptic trying to find fault?

2. Ericdierker profile image48

totally incredible. Who would do that?

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was a born again fundamentalist Christian for 10 years and I deeply believed in god.

What changed that other than having to read the Bible 18 times, which I would not wish on a monk?

5. Ann810 profile image46

@ Eric, I know right? smile 
      I like the Bible, but there's no way I would've read it 18 times in a life time.

6. Ericdierker profile image48

Sounds like a cult to me and I would run also

7. profile image0

Yeah that is true, why did you read it 18 times in 18 months? Never heard of any other Christian reading it even two times in 18 months from beginning to end.

8. Ericdierker profile image48

I really want to know the impetus to read it 18 in 18. It is incredible. I think 4 times in forty years is cool but....

9. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I was truly committed to God. Why wouldn’t one read it if one was a Christian? The reason Christians believe the bullshit they believe is because they don’t know what it is the bible. I’ve seen Star Wars 30 or 40 times because I loved it. Same thing.

10. Ericdierker profile image48

30 or 40 times? Well that is interesting. What is the newest thing you are interested in 18 - 40 times?

11. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I've seen Star Wars 30 or 40 times over the past 30 years. As a Christian, one is supposed to read the bible, and one is supposed to know exactly what it says. I did. I've also read the Koran. The bible is more violent than the Koran.

12. profile image0

Its not normal or healthy to read it that much. I am sure God would rather have you out spreading the word instead of just reading the words. Unless your a very fast reader, I don't know. The quran tells its modern followers to kill, Bible doesn't.

13. profile image55
      peter565posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know and that is actually one of the reason, I got thing for seducing nuns, I think the religion is full of crap, thus their devotion is a joke, not to mention all the evil thing the bible teach, I only read some of it and the bible make me sick

14. Angele Parris profile image59

In revelation it says his hair is white as wool, his eyes like fire and his feet like bronze. You read it many times - sticking to your interpretation. Sit down and simply read the book of Galatians from start to finish. Then read 2 Corinthians 12.

15. profile image0

You said you like seducing nuns and the Bible makes you sick? Sounds like you got perversions dude!

12. profile image0
    roobposted 8 years ago

Because they don't want to hear the... truth!(: Lol some people want to continue to live a life focused on themselves. The quran gets respect and it incites violence, while the Bible doesn't but ppl have no problem bashing that. God always seems to popup everywhere, because that is what He does!(:

1. profile image55
      rockingaafiyaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Quran gets respect becoz it's followers have a belief that it's each n every word is true unlike Bible followers .

2. Dave Rupe profile image54
      Dave Rupeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The truth in your eyes. Everyone's perception is different, and everyone has a different opinion. Preach all you want, people are still going to have a different opinion than you.

3. profile image0

Preach your belief all you want, people are still going to have a different opinion then you. The majority of muslims are not followers of the quran. Because the quran incites its followers to kill non believers. Terrorists.

4. El Shaddai 2016 profile image59
      El Shaddai 2016posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am truly amazed at how many non-believers I have encountered here on Hubpages. Are Atheists the new majority? Where are the believers?

13. Projectlazy profile image87
    Projectlazyposted 8 years ago

I think its the crazy zany stuff that is critical of others.

14. Kim Bryan profile image95
    Kim Bryanposted 8 years ago

I don't like every book I read, do you?  Of course not.  So you do you and I'll do me and there's no sense in ruffling feathers.

15. profile image0
    Karen KLDposted 8 years ago

They do not like the Bible because it is God's Word and they do not want to hear the truth. It's simple as that. If they do not believe that it is a real book, I just tell them that everything happening in the world today was foretold years ago in the Bible.

16. profile image55
    rockingaafiyaposted 8 years ago

It's not like people don't like Bible it's just that they are afraid to follow what has written inside it.people want to follow only those things which they are following from years either it is true or not .

17. Rogochuks profile image65
    Rogochuksposted 8 years ago

People are wary of anything that challenges them to be the better version of themself. This is exactly what the bible promotes; all the gospels, scriptures and teachings hold us to a higher standard, and we are frankly intimidated. All people have to do is remember that the bible's teachings include repentance and forgiveness. Our God, whose commandments are the framework of the bible is both merciful and kind. Read the bible often, and you will see ample evidence of his mercy.

1. Learn Things Web profile image92
      Learn Things Webposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I stopped believing when I read the Bible and realized that's not where my morals came from. The Bible often makes people judgmental, prejudiced and hateful toward others. I want to treat everyone with dignity and respect, which is a higher standard.

2. My Esoteric profile image83
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Learn Things - that is exactly why I left the Church 50 years ago in search of a better solution ... which I did.

3. nezzyknowz profile image59

WHY NOT IMPROVE ON YOURSELF WITHOUT NEEDING A SELF HELP BOOK THAT WAS WRITTEN 2016 YEARS AGO AND IS FICTION

4. profile image0

Bible is older than 2016 yrs. You want to treat terrorists with dignity & respect Learn Things? I sure hope not. Also William it is not a self help. It's followers believe it to be the Word of God written down by man. It has never been proven fal

18. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

They don't understand it.  The bible is not an easy book to get through.  It requires a lot of thinking.  It is not the type of book one can read once and put back on the shelf.  You can reread it and get something new each time.  That being said, many would wish that God were all loving and sweet, but He is not always.  He has led people into war, and washed away the entire earth in a flood except for one family.  People cannot handle this, and do not want to to follow such a "monster."  They hold a God up to the standards of men.  They also misinterpret stuff a lot.  A lot of people want to believe themselves to be intelligent, but the reality is they need to keep their day jobs.

1. Sgt Prepper profile image59

Yeah I always think I am so smart.  As a HS sophomore my IQ was 113. After college I thought it would be higher so I took another IQ test and found it went down to 111.  I dare not take the test again.  I no longer have a day-job as I am retired.

2. profile image0

Lolita, God is Good.  All violence is a projection of Man and is Not of God.  God does not condemn per Jesus. God never chose Hebrews, never gave them land, never authorized killing Canaanites, Jews are Not a separate group and there is No Holy Land.

3. profile image0

Haha that is funny Kevin, nice honesty!(:

19. profile image52
    Will Jacobposted 8 years ago

I would say people don't believe the bible. Mostly because it was written by a plethora of men throughout time. Many people feel the Bible was written by the churches of the time as a way to maintain power and gain wealth. Everything in the Bible may not be true. But that does not mean The Lord "I AM" is not the almighy God, And it surely does not mean Jesus Christ was not the living flesh of our Lord. Regardless what details you beleive before and after that really does not matter.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A+++++!

20. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 8 years ago

But our parents and also many Seers and Sages from time immemorial, used to read for us, to us and tell us stories. Today we also have T.V, radio and movies, so the reading stuff don't apply.

Why do so many of us have problems with Love; with Obedience? This is essentially what you're asking. We are told that there is a Kingdom, a beautiful place by all accounts, but we are also given a set of guidelines, maps, rules to practice, in order to blend in one with this Haven of Delight.

So you ask what's the problem. Too much distraction and to little 'cry.' At least the millionaire understands 'cry.' he knows that without yearning or longing, the money won't come. The Christ asks us to knock, seek ....

It is the same old story of learning to swim. You wish to learn; I hand you the goggles, paddles, pull-buoy; hand-grippers ...then you tell me that you are afraid of the water. How will you learn to swim? So your question is really why do so many of us are satisfied where we are; why are the shadows so appealling? You tell me! Much Love.

21. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

The bible is a hand selected group of writings which advances a narrative of the Christian church.  It demonstrates their version of history, makes reference to just enough fact that it can be believed, and portrays Christians as the chosen children of god.  By default it gives them the right to kill, conquer, and subjugate other races and totally contradicts itself multiple times (why would god pick favorites if we are all made in his image.)  Scholars of the bible get a much different read than followers of the religion, who are usually taught the juicy moralistic lines such as John 3:16.  True biblical scholars see it for what it is, a book.

1. profile image0

Christians are not told to kill in modern times, however the quran does tell its modern followers too. You know there is a Christian genocide in the middle east by islam. The Christian religion is not the inspiration for the terrorist attacks!

2. tsadjatko profile image68
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ralph,u reveal ignorance in what you just saidBy that I mean you have formed false conclusions on the Bible without ever studying itNothing you said is actually true because you see it from a fallen man's point of view.God'sways r not man's ways

22. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 8 years ago

I may echo a lot people's sentiments on this, but here it goes --- It's not the bible (King James or New International) people don't like; it's the way certain people use or abuse the verses to their own ways that gets under people's skin (including mine).

I tend to cringe when I hear a "preacher" manipulate a passage or verse as a way to justify horrendous acts against other fellow human beings. I get angry when somebody claims I must read the book when it turns out all they've done is recite a few nifty lines.

Despite my generalization, this is dangerous. First, somebody is telling you how to read it. And then you realize you are being lectured by someone who barely has a grasp of the material (or has cleaned the dust of their bible). This is no way to internalize the material.

I can't say this is unique to Christianity; it happens with other religions, too.

1. profile image0

what "horrendous" acts were justified with scripture by a "preacher"?

2. Dean Traylor profile image93

Jim Jones for starters. How about persecution of gays and justification of slavery there's plenty of that to go around.

3. profile image0

Jim Jones rejected the Bible and its teachings, he said God was not God at all. So no on that one. Also marriage was defined originally as a man and woman in 1250-1300 CE. So how can gays marry? & there are slaves in America? Where?

4. fpherj48 profile image59

Dean, these self-proclaimed Biblical scholars show they R not even smart enough 2 read or pay attention. This is not limited to America, 1st of all. 2nd, they don't know about "slave" labor & sex "slave" cartels? Yeah, real smart creatures.

5. profile image0

Well first of al the Bible doesn't say to have slaves now a days. So that would not be justified. Maybe some other religion I don't know about that. Oh Paula so the sex slave cartel get it from the Bible? Lolol.

6. Dean Traylor profile image93

Roob you totally misread my original posting. I mentioned those that manipulate biblical verses to fit their own belief. But in your addled mind you turned into something. Is that what they teach at Young Life these days?

7. fpherj48 profile image59

Dean."roob,"will B gone soon.He'll B LUCKY if not sued 4 LIBEL He posts in threads:"so & so" is an atheist or dsn't believe in God.bcuz he ASSUMES.He did it 2 me & 2 Ralph.NEITHER of us R atheists & have made that clear! His mouth will do

8. Dean Traylor profile image93

Paula, I've dealt with him before. Just another troll looking for a fight. I'll let him be, because he's the type that will shoot himself in the foot.

9. profile image0

Dean, I agree. Proposed, an edition of the Bible with a Header on each page renouncing violence. "I renounce war and fighting for any reason or under any pretense whatsoever."  Quaker. The reader could compare the Heading to the text on each page.

10. profile image0

I thought there was free speech? If you guys want to censor go ahead! The site could get sued for religious discrimination when someone is just stating their beliefs on an open forum. A troll comes makes claims and threats that don't pertain, like u!

11. Dean Traylor profile image93

Roob, cut the persecution complex BS. You had your chance to practice your 1st Amendment and abused it. Now others are expressing theirs that they don't care for your comments. There limitations to it, especially when you slandered or libeled others.

12. profile image0

You said what I said is BS. Where have I slandered? And have you not? You brought it up. If you just want to complain about it no one cares!(: If you want to add to the discussion go ahead. I wasn't getting off topic like you & paula. Whiners!

13. Dean Traylor profile image93

Peruse my response, don't scan it.  You troll and attack people, but cry foul when someone calls you out for it. Like I said: stop playing the victim. Nobody buys your act.

14. profile image0

I am not a victim I am just tryna say, if you don't have anything to contribute to the actual TOPIC, then why are you even here? You were complaining about what I said. If you have a problem report it! But that input of urs is not relevant.

15. Dean Traylor profile image93

You poor diluted soul. You are responding to my POST and you were extremely off topic with your response.You took it to this point. You're bad a reverse psychology. Next time, think about what you want to say and read my responses properly.

16. profile image0

I was respondin to the ? & out of nowhere u told paula that I am a troll. You can censor & whine all you want on this computer screen. But I guarantee real life isn't like that. Try and censor some1 on the streets... LOL u wouldn't last a day

17. fpherj48 profile image59

Dean..LOL! Here we have an immature, uneducated KID still wet behind the ears, lecturing on "life." not even aware HE does not get 2 tell others how or Y to comment. BAD habit he'll need to break or pay the price. (copying his X-buddy) Pathetic.

18. profile image0

Actually I don't just voice my opinion here on this computer, I've been to the ghetto and I am no stranger to the streets. Can you guys be urself there too? Or would you get jacked & beaten up with ur attitude?

19. Dean Traylor profile image93

And i work in the "Ghetto". SO What's that got to do with anything?

23. alexadry profile image98
    alexadryposted 8 years ago

Personally, I don't like it because it's written in such a convoluted way, there are statement that don't scientifically make sense, and I don't trust it because it has been passed down by so many people and as a consequence contains a lot of hearsay. The bible and its readings in church are what made me stray away from going to church. Perhaps things would have been different if it made more sense to me.

24. Pakfunz profile image38
    Pakfunzposted 8 years ago

there are few people who believes on that book but there are lot of readers of Quran (Last Book from Allah) in the whole world.

1. profile image0

the quran tells its followers to kill infidels aka non believers. Followers of that book are terrorists or purely blind! Evil book.

2. Ericdierker profile image48

Books are not evil. people are.

3. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The bible tells to kill non believers too! Deuteronomy 17

Interesting how you cite this passage. Yes the Bible condones capital punishment for certain crimes. So does the USA. But I have never heard of a connection. Thank goodness there is the New Testament.

5. profile image0

Eric personally I think capital punishment is a crime. The USA is not directly a example for the world if your talking about fighting crime. Commercialized prisons, suing system etc.

6. Ericdierker profile image48

You certainly have a point there. But I always question just who does it better.

7. profile image0

That's a good question. Everything can be improved, and we should always strive to do so. How can we make things better? and not to be afraid to change something. (even if it's tradition.)

8. profile image0

Peter first of all that is the old testament... If you were familiar with the Bible you would know that is rules for life long ago. The new testament is what applies nowadays. God of the old testament was angry, now Jesus came and we need FAITH!!!

9. Anjili profile image64
      Anjiliposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Quran in Chapter 10 Verse 94 says "If you have any doubts about what is written in this Quran which I gave to you, go and read the Bible" .
      This simply means that the bible has a very important place in the world as Allah says. Don't ignore it.

10. Sgt Prepper profile image59

Allah is just another name for Satan.  Moslems worship death.  Allah together with Antichrist Obama & False Prophet Francis form the unholy trinity of these last days. Get ready!

11. profile image0

So why is the old testament still a part off the bible Roob. If you see Deuteronomy as invalid you should see the whole old testament as invalid, otherwise it's cherry picking.

12. profile image0

It happened, do you just delete history? Laws change over time. It is good to know how it was before. It correlates. That is how history works Peter...

13. profile image0

no you dont delete history (although I don't consider the story of Adam and Eve history.)
      The 10 commandments are also from the old testament, I guess these don't apply either.

14. Ericdierker profile image48

I always wonder about that Peter. The rules of engagement and conduct of the Civil war are not valid today. But I still look into the history. Maybe just to not repeat the bad parts. "valid" is an interesting label. Is the OT valid as a reference?

15. profile image0

History is incredibly important. Although I'm an atheist I can see that the bible can be a source of inspiration. But you always have to think for yourself. To blindly follow is not wise.

16. Ericdierker profile image48

Peter it seems to me that the Bible can, if literally taken, come up with contradictory positions. So the reader must come up with a concept that determines any seeming contradiction. Mine is love. That takes a little more effort than blind following

17. profile image0

Blind following is the easy way out. Reading,thinking about it and criticizing is important. Not everything the bible says is right(let alone scientifically correct)but you can use it in your life in many positive ways. It's not the only way though.

18. profile image0

Again Peter that is your opinion. Can you prove otherwise? I don't like when people who don't believe the Bible act like we are foolish and they have evidence. You can call mine an opinion if you want I can't literally prove it to you.

19. profile image0

Roob I call people foolish when they do not think for themselves. people who blindly take for granted that every word in the bible is the truth. I have no problem with people who take the bible as a guideline, but criticize it. that's intelligent.

20. Ericdierker profile image48

I reckon I cannot believe in the Bible. I love it and learn much from it. But I just cannot believe in a book. My religion is not biblist or a Buddhist. I am a Christian. I believe in Christ. Now the issue arises. What do I know about Jesus except.

21. profile image0

Peter can you prove the Bible false? If not then my belief in it being absolute truth is VALID. Meaning what you think about it doesn't make it true or not.

22. Ericdierker profile image48

Robert, go easy on yourself. Are you perfect in your understanding of the bible?

23. profile image0

No but do you agree with someone saying the Bible is useful but it isn't truth? Without the Bible, how would you even know about Jesus Christ?

25. Vick Juniors profile image61
    Vick Juniorsposted 8 years ago

People have different interpretations of the Bible and this has brought dislike and even confusion towards God's scripture.These interpretations have been blamed for inter-denominational conflict and they have also been seen as the cause for disunity among the churches.When people have different explanations of the Bible,it's difficult to have great inspiration to read it regularly because you may not understand the true meaning of it.

1. Angele Parris profile image59

Read the seven churches in revelation. God punishes, but He also sets standards, give warnings, and offers salvation over and over again. Like mocking Christ on the cross, most people see God as a wimp till He does what He says He is going to do.

26. profile image53
    kevin woodardposted 8 years ago

i don,t think the is real,i think the bible is base on ledgen and false statement,s

27. stbrians profile image47
    stbriansposted 8 years ago

The bible is like a compass that checks the direction to follow. Many do not like being checked and so hate it.

28. profile image52
    Deepak Sigdelposted 8 years ago

I guess because of old fashioned. Now people believe on reality.

29. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 8 years ago

The problem with the Bible, is that so much has been lost in translation - quite literally. Quite apart from being really boring for the average reader, especially the OT, for those who are interested enough, they know that the new testament was collated nearly 100 years after the death of Jesus... that doesn't inspire confidence. That's like us now, making a book about someone who lived in 1916, but with less widespread information.

When I was at theological college (which I dropped out of), I was studying ancient Hebrew, to study Genesis, to understand the original. It was a great education in understanding that an average Christian quotes from Genesis as if it were the Bible (haha, couldn't resist that); erm, I mean to say, people quote from Genesis for example, without the foggiest idea what they're talking about. In ancient Hebrew, each letter and collection of characters had special meaning themselves, a whole range of concepts that go way, way beyond what an average language can do with it, let alone translated into modern English. Quoting from Genesis to support certain notions and beliefs, is bizarre in the extreme.

I've always rather liked this Proverb (sorry, don't know the number), which says something like 'Better live on the corner of the roof, than in a house with a quarrelsome wife.'  Very good. A little misogynistic but funny all the same.

As to one of the comments here about Koran being violent, and the Bible not. It's worth pointing out that Christendom has a hideous and long bloody history, and has slaughtered more people worldwide than Islam ever has. Multicultural belief and tolerance has been a cornerstone of Islam. Jihad was an internal questioning and overcoming inner demons. Look up Sufism, a beautiful mystic path born from Islam. We only ever hear about the idiots doing stupid things. In fact we call them 'terrorists' which they really like, when in fact they're just morons. Those amazing mosaics in mosques, based on mathematical principles, are not the product of dumb minds. It's doubtful that your average rent-a-thug jihadi even has the mind to understand the content of a mosque wall... They found the Paris murderers to have been using coke as well.

1. Sam Shepards profile image92
      Sam Shepardsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can agree on  Sufism (the Persian Masnavi etc.). I also don't have a problem with that kind of peaceful mysticism.
      But Salafism, wahabism... Some Hadiths and Sharia law is particularly violent, totalitarian and closeminded.

2. Angele Parris profile image59

In reference to Christianity's bloody past. Christianity offers salvation with the promise of  being slaughtered.  Contrary to popular belief, the second coming of Christ has taken place.  Before this event Paul was sent on a mission to the Gentiles.

3. Electro-Denizen profile image80
      Electro-Denizenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@Sam Shepards - agreed. The number of Muslims world wide under Sharia law is actually very small. We live in odd times where extremism from all sides is trying to take hold.

4. profile image0

Don't know where you getting that from Angele? Not the Bible because it says everyone WILL KNOW when Christ comes back.

5. Angele Parris profile image59

By the promise of being slaughtered I mean that many of God's prophets often preach destruction if one rejects God's teachings.  These prophets are often ridiculed before the promised punishment comes.

6. profile image0

It says we will be persecuted for being Christian but that doesn't mean slaughtered, though it can. It means they will face hardship and ridicule before God comes and saves them. Is that what you meant?(:

7. Electro-Denizen profile image80
      Electro-Denizenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To me that sounds like Christians will be persecuted by non-Christians, but also persecuted for non-belief and living a life of sin. That's a whole lot of persecution, though after all, the Jesus suffering concept is central to the Christian mythos.

30. Team Wiseman profile image68
    Team Wisemanposted 8 years ago

Truth is why people hate the Bible. It's an odd thing but people really hate Truth. When Truth walked this earth in the flesh, they crucified Him.

31. Eric Seidel profile image95
    Eric Seidelposted 8 years ago

I think it's because they are reading chronologically like any other book. With cynical as people are these days; they try to read Genesis and they just go "ok this is confusing" or "yeah whatever this is b.s."

What they should do is start by reading Psalms. A collection of inspiring passages that could brighten up anyone's day.

The bible is about the Jews (God's chosen people). They were in slavery, and learned the ways of the Egyptians.The laws were given to break those learned ways. Christ came to save from the misinterpreted laws.

32. Angele Parris profile image59
    Angele Parrisposted 8 years ago

I tend to disagree with this statement. Even atheists like the bible, to disprove the existence of God. Every denomination of the Christian faith have their own interpretation of the bible, and the church members stick strongly to the teachings,  that even if presented with concrete evidence from other groups it is difficult to sway their opinions .

The ones who do not like the bible, have to be those of other religions. I can only conclude that the reason they do not like the bible, is because the bible offers forgiveness for sins, and gives one a "second" chance for salvation. To me the bible is a simple book to understand. The first part focuses on the Jews (the chosen people) and the conflict they face with other nations. Then we have the coming of Jesus, who broke the curse of the law by dying on the cross.  Next, the Acts of the apostles,  epistles of Paul, letter to the Hebrews, James,  Peter,  John, Jude and the end time events in the book of Revelation.

If you go to church regularly, your church teaching is going give you a clear interpretation of the bible, clear enough that you are able to defend your point of view. Contradictions found in the bible become hidden, and criticisms only serve to strengthen your faith, and provide you with scripture passages to sustain you in times of despair. 

Those who do not like the Bible are of other religions.

33. profile image57
    srikanth69posted 8 years ago

Nice question, the answer is because no one is worth of it, many christian missionaries exactly do the opposite things of what bible say, they are trying to convert other caste people into christianity by offering them money and playing on people weak points, so people who should promote god to people are promoting caste just caste. Also which converting people from one caste to christianity they take oath of forgetting their original caste shame on missionaries. When there is one bible why christians are divided into many categories ? people have to understand god is only one and god is belief, many people drink, smoke, eat non-veg and they pray how can a smoker, drinker can meet the purest soul of god ??

34. stuff4kids profile image60
    stuff4kidsposted 8 years ago

Maybe because vast chunks of it - Leviticus and Deuteronomy, for example - are phenomenally boring and irrelevant to modern life. Most of those laws make sense for the survival of a nomadic bronze age tribe, but really, it's the twenty-first century and very few of us have goats and slaves these days. Even the poetic parts, such as the long, erotic poem "The Song of Solomon" lose a lot in translation.

35. kwade tweeling profile image70
    kwade tweelingposted 8 years ago

Which version of "the Bible"? I'd guess you mean the King James version, based on the picture. Really (based on the way you phrased this question, and responses to people in the comments here); I think your question is a stab at anyone who doesn't believe as you do. Essentially to be a troll. If not, I apologize for the implication. In case you are truly curious, here is my personal reply:

First, a little perspective.

There is so much room for interpretation within language -period- that any communication can be confused. From one person to another, our personal definitions of words differ greatly. Between the two of us alone, our experiences in life bring us to different views of the world. Because of this, our use of words means different things. (We could delve into this further; talking about things like Eskimos having multiple words for the substance we call "snow", but we don't have room here). This is especially true when comparing differing languages, and even the same language over a span of time. Read any book from as little as fifty years ago, in your own language, and it is readily apparent. Go back further, and eventually, it may as well be another language (Shakespeare for example). Translate another language from hundreds of years ago into modern tongue and it's immensely worse. Meanings change over time, and the emphasis each writer and reader puts on any given idea differ as well.

The Bible we know is translated from another language. It's translated more than once, many decades apart. It's then updated, altered, and personalized. This means, the original writers color the text. Then, each translator has their own color added, right up to the last version created. Ever play the telephone game? Imagine playing it decades apart, in multiple languages.

Couple all of the above with personal belief and how even within a religion, people have different beliefs. This paves the way for a lot of communication errors.

Belief is a powerful thing to each of us. Whether belief in something supernatural, or in everyday experience. When beliefs are challenged, it can be hard to accept new ideas.

What does all of this lead up to? I hope it helps you understand my "simple" answer. My hope is that this opens some minds to better understand each other.

I enjoy reading religious texts. I do not like religious texts being used to prop up ignorance or hatred. Especially when the religion is supposed to be about acceptance and love.

36. profile image57
    Battle Tekposted 8 years ago

Well it is believed that Bible has been modified by human being. therfore, it is no more that authentic as it was in its origional form.

37. zinco profile image69
    zincoposted 8 years ago

Some people don't believe in any Religion and even if they do, there are some factors affecting an individual to like/read it which includes.... 1. The Bible writings are too long for lazy people, 2. The Bible teaches good things and some people doesn't want to accept any changes in their lives.

38. Md Jillur Rahman profile image40
    Md Jillur Rahmanposted 8 years ago

Because people changing it day by day. Now you can not find original Bible. People changing it by their own opinion.

39. Sgt Prepper profile image59
    Sgt Prepperposted 8 years ago

For many people the truth hurts.  It hurts so much they call it "hate" when in fact it is they who are "haters" of the truth and intolerant of born-again believers.  Our Bible predicted the "man of lawlessness" Obama the Antichrist & False Prophet Pope Francis. Once The Rapture happens all hell will break lose.  Be Prepared!

40. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 8 years ago

It’s not that they do not “like” the Bible.
    They have been “ordained” not to understand the Bible.
    The Christian does not volunteer to become a Christian, he is “called” to become a Christian – a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ.
    Those who are offended by the Bible do not realize that it’s not their time to be called, yet.
    The Bible to them is:  [1Pe 2:8 KJV] “…a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, [even to them] which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.”
    Understanding is given to true Christians by God: [Phl 1:29 KJV] “For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake.”
    A man or woman is ordained by God to believe and offered salvation by Jesus Christ.
    [Act 13:48 KJV] 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

1. Ericdierker profile image48

Cool

2. Kiss andTales profile image61

JC. What ever Joshua did it was approved by the highest Judge and court of the universes. Daniel 7:10 . "the Court took its seat and books were open".
      Psalms 50:7 For God himself is Judge. ( Selah)
      Humans are not the highest authority.

3. profile image0

Kiss and Tales, thank you for answering. Please see Hubs, "GOD DOES NOT CONDEMN, we judge ourselves in a mirror held by God," and "The Book of Joshua from a Christian Perspective." God does not judge. Man projects judgment onto others. Stop Projectin

4. Kiss andTales profile image61

Obrian are you overriding the scripture that says he is judge. I give you scripture Psalms 50:6 which point blank days he is. You give me a human opinion. No scriptures.
      Sorry but you are not speaking truth.

5. profile image0

Jesus said, "You judge by human standards; I judge no one." John 8:15

"Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgment you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get." Matt. 7:1-2.
      Believe JC

6. Kiss andTales profile image61

JC.Example Jesus said he did not judge, like if you say I do cry.Does it mean you will not in the future To prove that point the very next scripture he says in John 8:16 and yet if I judge I am not alone.
      He never said he would not. at that time no

7. profile image0

Refer to the teachings of Jesus in the story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) and the Adulteress (John 8:4-11). In neither story did the father (or Jesus) condemn the person. He did Not judge. Read the Hubs cited previously.

41. Galaxy-Gal profile image60
    Galaxy-Galposted 8 years ago

Everyone needs an editor. Even God. Especially God.

1. profile image0

No He doesn't.

2. Sgt Prepper profile image59

Anybody out there have an idea just how literate Jesus was?  I mean who taught Him how to read & write?  Joseph the carpenter?

3. nezzyknowz profile image59

YEA THE BIBLE IS CONTRADICTION AFTER CONTRADICTION LOL

4. profile image0

What contradictions William?

42. Ahadul Islam profile image54
    Ahadul Islamposted 8 years ago

TThe people who read bible.he/she may feels that  there is some thing which is absent in bible..so many people dont like bible.

43. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

Hi Ann810,

The statement "Individuals that can't read...." makes no sense. If you can not read something doesn't mean you don't like it. For instance I can not read Chinese, this does not mean that I do not like Chinese books.

As from my point of few. I'm an atheist. I find the bible incredibly boring and badly written and over repetitive. Compare the bible with Shakespeare and you'll see the difference in quality. Even as Shakespeare in't written in modern English either. Go further along the line and compare the bible with Homerus Ilias and Homer wins big time.
    So one point why people may not like the bible is because it's badly written.
    As for the content. Well, it's a bad B movie. lot's of blood, cruelties, torture and stupid one liners (Rambo- They did first blood....)
    As someone beliefs it to be the word of God then I guess God was a poor writer, something an almighty person should and could have done a better job. Therefore I do not think it's the word of God. But If people strongly believe then even the colour Red is Yellow. If a devine God tells you so.
    So for the question why people don't like the bible : it's because it's boring, badly written and full of dubious advise (to put it mildly.) The moral code displayed in the old testament is simply terrible and doesn't function in a modern society. A eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

My favorite true-story in the Bible is where Tamar disguises herself as a prostitute and gets impregnated by Judah and has twins.  One of those, Perez, is in the lineage of Jesus. FYI - the movie "Year One" with Jack Black & Olivia Wilde is a rio

2. El Shaddai 2016 profile image59
      El Shaddai 2016posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is a lot of wisdom in the Bible.

3. Kiss andTales profile image61

JC explained is example , you own an exquisite resturant
      You employ a staff of top chefs they are under your authority as to what menu to fix your special clients.
      Is it right for one chef or more to judge his boss as how to run  his Buisness

44. profile image58
    Benedict museeposted 8 years ago

The bible is the word of God. It's a double edged sword which  never compromises. The world offers democracy, while the bible offers command. People don't want to be told on what to do and since the bible is about guidance, instructions and repercussions. To sum up, people want to see, touch not to hear and hope.

Yes the truth hurts so instead they prefer to believe a lie(global-warming, evolution, same-sex marriage, abortion, Sunday is the Sabbath, etc.).

2. profile image0

I rather live in a democracy then a totalitarian state.

Interesting concept. The Bible offers command? I always thought that free will deal. I viewed it as offering choices. I suppose I do not like to be told what to do, but I love being shown what to do. I love the Bible.

This topic interests me, I agree with Eric - interesting concept.  The bible is not about commands.  The bible is about God trying to breaking the commands by giving commands. I agree with you, people want to see and touch, not to hear and hope.

45. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 8 years ago

How many are you talking about? Let's be fair. The Bible is the most sold book of all times, not even close. It has been translated into almost all known languages over 1000. It is being preached all over the world. There are 7 Billion people in the world. You might not like its message but the wisdom and stories is generational and have guided us through many trial and tribulations. Some people think we have out grown it. I disagree. Some of the problems of today, birth out of wedlock, poverty, moral bankrupt, are the very reason why we are in such a sad state as a country. We would do better to teach the golden rule and respect a higher power guiding us.

46. erorantes profile image51
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

Some people like the Bible, but they do not understand the Shakespeare English. Perhaps, they should read the Bible in the new version or in their own languages to learn the entire book. There is nothing to be afraid. It is history of people who were sanctified by God. The Bible tells the truth about God if you believe in God. There are Bible study group in different Christian's churches to guide the mind. Then, there is extra journals to search for answers about the Bible.

The bible is - history of people sanctified by God;  people who distort the teachings/laws/punishment of God; a savior who broke the curse; inclusion of the Gentiles; prophets being punished for preaching the gospel/not liking the bible is the bible

2. profile image0

God does not choose one people over another.  We are all one people.  God never made a covenant which involved killing (including children).  God is Good, He does not use violence as described in the OT.  Jesus taught, "Love your enemy" not kill.

47. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

Perhaps because it has been changed from the original, through many translations.
    It is violent in parts, boring in others, and totally unbelievable in other parts.
    I haven't read it through, although I have read parts.   It is violent, particularly in the old testament, and many of its ideas are irrelevant in today's world.   I wouldn't say people disliked it for this, however.  I don't.

How many people do you know who dislike the bible?

1. profile image0

Well the old testament is not laws for living today, that would be the new testament. Maybe you shoulda read the whole thing through.
      That is why it seems violent and not applicable. God was an angry God in the old days who had rules, now its faith!

2. profile image0

So why don't the Christians just get rid of the Old Testament if it's not applicable anymore.

3. profile image0

It happened, do you just delete history? Lol...

48. Anjili profile image64
    Anjiliposted 8 years ago

People prefer to go for lies and not the truth. Many tend to despise the truth.

49. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

It's far more the dislike of self , Show me an atheist who is  happy in the moment  .........I'll show you  a Christian in the making !

1. profile image0

Im happy in the moment, but definatly do not believe in a God in what kind of form whatsoever.

2. profile image0

Peter so you are truly satisfied with life? You don't do any thing you are embarrassed about. You don't have a dark secret? Maybe you are the exception... but I would be surprised if there wasn't a lil bit of darkness in your life...

3. getitrite profile image72

ahorseback, that's just outright wishful nonsense. Also, the opposite of atheism is not Christianity. This is a bigoted statement, implying the supremacy of Christianity.  I guess those who read the Koran or Torah just dislike themselves as well. SMH

4. Aime F profile image69

My 4 year old daughter is the happiest person I know and she's an atheist. smile

5. profile image0

A 4 year old can decide what religion they are? In the Bible kids are not responsible for believing in God, they all go to heaven if they die at a young age.
      Does your 4 year old also have a political party from her observations? lol

6. Aime F profile image69

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of such a sweeping statement.  By definition she is an atheist.

7. profile image0

The Bible says Children aren't responsible for choosing belief. So your daughter holds the position that there are no deities? Or does she not even think about religion? Aka she isn't an atheist or Christian as she has not made the decision herself.

8. Aime F profile image69

Atheism: disbelief *or lack of belief* in the existence of God or gods.

She lacks a belief in the existence of God.  She's an atheist.

9. getitrite profile image72

I also know a lot of born again Christian losers, who are always doing bad...praying all the time, and getting nowhere or worse. When all their good Christian friends let them down,,,they come running to me...an atheist...because I actually care.

10. profile image0

Ok you can be all technical. But I doubt your kid is for or against a God at this age unless somebody has been telling her things against God. Most likely if she hasn't been told what you think, she is undecided and not even thought of it yet.

11. Aime F profile image69

I never claimed she was against God or had thought about it.  Again, just pointing out the stupidity of a sweeping statement.

12. Ericdierker profile image48

Wow at four years old? My children said prayers at 3. I suppose I brainwashed them early ;-) My grown ones believe but don't buy into church. Interesting how we effect our children.

13. profile image0

Roob, the statement said "...happy in the MOMENT".
      The moment is now. not my past life, not my future life but NOW
      But right NOW I'm happy, without believing in an almighty god.
      (of course I've my chocolate cravings - right NOW actually..)

14. profile image0

what i meant peter was, in every moment you are happy? Or do you have dark moments that you probably don't wana share? I know every1 I have gotten close with has including myself. When ur life is bout to end, will u have hope for more?

15. profile image0

Of course not. Everybody has it's moment of sadness. but I responded on ahorseback statement.
      When my life ends, so be it. knowing that life has an end makes every second precious. You do not have a second chance. No rebirth, no heaven nor hell.

16. Ericdierker profile image48

Oh but to live life in such a way. I remember a time 40 years ago when I acted based on a belief of the next. Now I say that I hope to God that I rest.

17. profile image0

Eric, i do not live day by day, but appreciate every day, there's a difference.

50. herrypaul profile image50
    herrypaulposted 8 years ago

People dislike reading the Bible...hemm.., because they do not understand at all. The Bible is not only the words of God, but it contents of biography, history, culture, and poem also. If people can analyze it..., I m sure they will like reading the Bible!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)