What's your opinion on the end of the world in 2012

Jump to Last Post 51-67 of 67 discussions (130 posts)
  1. Shil1978 profile image90
    Shil1978posted 10 years ago

Why only 2012? Fact is we know next to nothing of the many phenomena out there. So, we've discovered black holes and a few others that might pose a threat, but how many other things are out there that we might not know of and consequently might not expect!!

As it is, there are enough scenarios that could wipe out the Earth. Scenarios involving comets or asteroids. If one such object were on collision course with Earth, what can we do practically? I am not envisioning the Armageddon (movie) type of solution here!!

We are still a species in early technological evolution. So, we'd have to be real lucky to get to a stage where we aren't a species just limited to Earth and be in the hapless position to get wiped out, like the Dinosaurs.

Live in the moment. Worrying about dates like these is just stupid. I remember the talk of the world ending before the year 2000 came! We are still here - aren't we?

2. ivanborje profile image59
    ivanborjeposted 10 years ago

Genesis 8:20
    And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. 21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

1. Jerami profile image64
      Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That just says that God isn't going to do it.

What if he just sits back and let's us do it to ourselves?? in a dozen diffrent ways that all come to conclusion at about the same time.

1. ivanborje profile image59
        ivanborjeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No God does not want us to do evil with ourselves... He cannot just sit back, because he loves us!...

Actually there are vesres where he does just that. 
            In fact this is what prophesy is about.

The Lord sits back and watches these prophesy play our. The  beast that rises up out of the sea (Rev. 13)  and all of the seals, trumpet and vial judgments.

Humanity  is the tool through through which a good part of these prophesy are carried out.

I am not going to say that the world is going to end.

I will say that I firmly beleive that the last judgments; seventh trumpet and seventh vial being poured out .. IS.. knocking at the door.

3. Merlin Fraser profile image68
    Merlin Fraserposted 10 years ago

Let’s see, considering the Mayan civilization collapsed and more or less died out in the 8th or 9th century, about 4-5 hundred years before the theories of Christianity reached that part of the world  it is highly unlikely that the year 2012 in their calendar has any significance to us.  I mean when did they start counting, from when and up to when ?

Secondly, the reason I mentioned the Christians is because the current year together with the fast approaching year of 2012, is only relevant to them since it is some sort of weird back calculation by them to ascertain when Jesus Christ was born.   I think they’ve had a few stabs at working this out since at first no one knew if they’d actually started at zero in the first place and second given they hadn’t a clue about leap years and the like it is possible that no one actually knows what year this is.

The rest of the world has their own idea of what year this is based upon whatever they believe in, in their part of the world.

As for Nostradamus .... the least said about him the better.  I think he wrote all that crap when he was bored on  April the 1st one year and so far no one has worked it out yet.  It is so obscure as to be meaningless and so open to interpretation by anyone who processes twenty/twenty hindsight it’s laughable. But as you point out it makes for an interesting TV show...

1. lucieanne profile image76
      lucieanneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are so right Merlin. the Christian calendar moves the date of Easter every year, and Chritmas is only on 25th December to fit in with the Pagan festival of winter solstice. The evergreen theme - holly etc, is a Pagan symbol, it's got nothing to do with the alleged birth of Jesus, and the whole celebration thing with the yule logs and everything is of Pagan origin. Christians make out they dispise paganism, but yet they adopt their ceremonies. Paganism is given a bad write up because people don't understand it. (I'm not a Pagan, by the way, I'm just saying) They believe in the natural forces of mother nature, and try and look after our fragile environment. another interesting point about Christmas is, Jesus never celebtated birthdays, and he also drank the odd goblet of wine. He wouldn't have wanted anyone making a fuss about his birthday, and he wouldn't object to anyone having the odd tipple. The date of his birth is way off the mark - if he was 33 and a half when he died, and he was born in March (Nissan13) that means he must have been born in October. Like I said earlier, if the pieces don't fit, someone will force them until they do.

It seems that no one wants to agree with my theology ..BUT .. everything that I see 98% of the people saying points to what I am saying.

Such as everything posted above.
        These are some of my arguements to prove my point.
        Somebody just needs to put everyones arguements together is such a way as to have an over view....  and they would come to the conclusions that I have.

gotta go for a coulpa hours.
          goina play with my sons tricycle motors.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image68
    Merlin Fraserposted 10 years ago

Hi lucieanne,

Just to let you know I am a Pagan, the good old fashioned type not the new lot that are trying to make it into some sort of new religion, which it isn't and never was.   

You are quite right about the Christian hijacking all our feast days and our festivals. As with Christmas, which to us is the birth of the Sun God, not the 'Son of God.'

Easter is the same, it is the Spring festival of Ester, Goddess of fertility, hence Easter egss, the Pagan symbol of fertility.     

And Jerami, 

Please do us all a favour and give us awrite up and quick overview of all the argument, sounds like you've been keeping up, which I have to admit I haven't.

Look forward to it. Once you finished playing on your sons tricycle that is...no rush !

sorry for the confusion;  wasn't the trikes. it the motors that pushes them around tha place that I was a playing with.

5. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

People have spent a great deal of their lives in the pursue of biblical predictions as in the past expressed their belief as to the end of this age and as someone more clever then I said,"They All Have One Thing In Common---They Were All WRONG!"

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image77
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years ago

It is just a new calender that will tick over, but in case the world DOES end, party like it's 1999...............

7. earnestshub profile image86
    earnestshubposted 10 years ago

The easiest way to confirm the earth's survival will be to check for pregnant Kangaroos.

Their bodies will automatically shuts down the reproductive process in 2011 if things look crook for 2012! smile

That isn't going to happen; but if it did ??? Would that affect your beliefs at all?

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image77
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Phew !!!!!

Being a Roo, was a little concerned I may fall pregnant at that party....... I forgot about shutting down reproductive process smile

8. jasonycc profile image70
    jasonyccposted 10 years ago

Just another TGIF!! Happy hour as usual.

9. Jerami profile image64
    Jeramiposted 10 years ago

I think that when a believer reads the prophesy NOT interpreting them they would with out a doubt come to realize that all of prophesy has been fulfilled with the exception of the 7th trumpet and 7th vial. And whatever comes after these.

10. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 10 years ago

Jerami, am I understanding you correctly,assuming you believe we`re already in the tribulation period?

11. Jerami profile image64

Sorry for the delay.. I had to go our for a while.

Over The Hill  asks .... Jerami, am I understanding you correctly,assuming you believe we`re already in the tribulation period?

================================================
      Jerami said ....I'd say YEA and NO.

I am certain That Matthew 23 and 24 says that the great tribulation that is spoken of By Jesus happened just as he said that they would.

Read Matthew 23 and 24 knowing that these two chapters are ONE story!

In chapter 23 there are about a dozen and a half WOE UNTO "YOU"s  And he said to them .  All righteous blood that has been shed shall come down on their heads in that generation.

Jesus also said  I am going to sent you prophets and wise men;  and you will kill some of them and beat some of them... A few minutes later (C. 24)  Jesus tells his disciples that  THEY are going to kill some of YOU and beat  some of  YOU!.

Jesus then ...
      Matthew 24:34   Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass till  all these things be fulfilled. ...

I'm going to paraphrase a little ..Jesus said ... Verily I say unto "YOU" (he was talking to the disciples)   Everything that I have told you in these last few minutes is going to happen in THIS generation, No one knows when but trust me (Verily)  it is going to happen in this generation)

12. pixi676 profile image58
    pixi676posted 10 years ago

Actually I am working on a religious book that will disprove the whole theory. no one knows when it's gonna happen. that's the basic thought of my book. it's one way to say it could be wrong. there are other factors too that will be included. i will post the book as a hub later when it is finished so feel free to tune in.
    it could be right it could be wrong. there is no way for humans to tell. the only ones who know is God and probably Jesus. its not clear that Jesus knows when He will come back which is Judgement Day. there are signs of it but that still doesn't state a specific time. For all we know it could be in the next second or in the next few years or further than that.
    Be Sober and Alert!

The only way that anyone can know anything is to read the prophesy with an analitical mind.  A mind that is "Hell" bent on interpretation is not going to find an answer.  There are thousands of posabile "Answers???" when we give ourselves privledge to interpret what is written.
      And none of these interpretations are correct.

That is my opinion.
        "IF" we believe that scripture is inspired Of God ??  Why do we think that we have to interpret a diffrent meaning into what is written?

I have already written a book that explains 98% of every verse in Revelation with very, very little if any interpretations.

If we take prophesy as written...  The fourty two months of the beast will be fulfilled (100% probability) between 2007 and 2028 ...   I would say 75% probability between 2012 and 2015.

There is one factor that is an eitheer one  or another.

My thoughts anyway.

13. eilander1542011 profile image72
    eilander1542011posted 10 years ago

I'm not sure how may of you have heard of the Y2K bug, but I remember that everybody was SURE the world was gonna end then too. Look what happened...nothing. Now as far as 2012 goes it will not be quite so insignificant as 2000 was, but it will nonetheless seem like nothing happened to many, many people across the world. No doubt many of those people responded to this question. It will be a vast minority that will notice the shift that occurs.
    Let me say this, if you haven't already noticed the shift beginning then you are blind. This change will not be an instantaneous thing. We have all been alive long enough t know that things rarely occur instantaneous. Rather this awakening as I like to call it, will have been in preparation long before, and thus is occurring now and has been occurring.
    2012 will simply be the jump off point, sort of a point of no return, you will notice (if you have woken up by then) that society will be forced into making decisions that will be made only once. They will be decisions that once they have been made there will be no way to change them. The key to these decisions will be each individual being's decision, and it will control the whole, but too may people have been deceived and will not wake up in time for us to make the right decisions. The decisions will be made ignorantly, and thus will cause us to fall deeper into the pit we have been falling into.
    As I said there will be a mass awakening right around the time of 2012, but that awakening has already begun, and has been the current under the river for as long as we have existed. Make no mistake, 2012 represents a checkpoint in our history. A point at which we should all hope that we have based our lives around something good and solid, because if not we will be swept away by the raging waters. 2012 is not the end, IT IS THE BEGINNING!

14. Jerami profile image64

@ eilander1542011  Ihope that you are correct !

But I am expecting something more like the day after hurricane
    Catrina or  9/12/2001

15. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 10 years ago

I just recently wrote a hub about this topic, I'm not sure if it is allowed to post the link, but if you're interested you find it on my page. Hope you have fun reading it.

16. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzUrTm_L8xlkTVgHhjtx-0wtD-2acwiZO9dBWV0pdFwKZQ-q0&t=1&usg=__bdev5-fUkiomGbYtAEseJDDnpZ4=

17. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 10 years ago

I have already ordered enough Columbian coffee to get through 2014......

And enough Scotch to get through 2020 (okay 2013) just in case only Europe goes with South Amercia.....

Or we need to have a really big party!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)