Consecrated Offering

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I believe that as Christians we have the duty to consecrate our lives to the building up of faith in the world through service in the name of the Lord.

Say for instance that there is a disaster in another country, and somone at work asks you to donate money to a relief fund. Then the next Sunday, your church feels inspired to ask for donations for the same purpose.

Now some may say; "I already gave at the office," but the difference is that the first time you gave money it was a kind act, the second time though, it became a concecrated offering. This is because it is now an act of service requested by somone who you feel is inspired by the Spirit of God.

What would you do?

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what you are saying, as long as we have, we should give. I also believe that if someone can be of any help in a personal way they should if they have the time volunteer to help with the disaster cleanup.

Brother Dave.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A prime example for sure.

2. yolanda yvette profile image60
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago

I don't know what I'd do.  How could one really know until they're in that position?

3. shazz01109 profile image67
    shazz01109posted 14 years ago

Follow ur conscience and be rational.  If u r able to give a 1 time donation, or several fine.  It also depends upon the amount, and what u r able to support.  I don't blieve in giving b/c of just obligation.  Both can be consecrated offerings, depending upon the person's heart and intent who is donating.  There r times when I have given support for causes, then see it at the cashier's at the grocery store, and then b asked to donate in front of everyone.  And many times I smile and say "No thanks", b/c I've donated elsewhere already.  It's no one's business what I've done, or if I donate or not.  People need to judge themselves, not others when it comes to charity...

4. yolanda yvette profile image60
    yolanda yvetteposted 14 years ago

Great answer, shazzo1109.

5. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

If I had money on me I'd give. It might not be as much as the first one, though.

Just give from your heart - what you can. smile

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

And then we go home....  We know that our neighbor has been layed off; his/her  wife/husband is disabled, they have four children ...  because no one helps them because it it is not a "POPULAR" cause they are ignored?
       And then we complain about crime in the neighbor hood.

In hard times I think that Charity should begin in the "HOOD"

7. dfager profile image60
    dfagerposted 14 years ago

A Christian should give from their hearts and not from any sense of legalism. Should you wait to act until someone has blessed that action?  Giving comes from the heart.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree to a point. The prodigal son was alone and no one gave anything to him. It was done for a purpose.

We should always ask for guidance in giving. There mayu be times that God is trying to get someone's attention and we should let them alone and let God work.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes when we think that we are doing a good think we are not doing a God thing.
          Sir
        dent is absolutely correct.  We are sometimes headed toward destruction and obsticals are placed in our path. For someone to do a what is thought to be a good thing by removing that obstical is in reality sending that oerson to their doom.

And to donate our last dollar to a good cause over seas, is to ignore another good cause that is arcoss the street.
           We chould be doing our good deads everyday as we can, not just when something hits the evening news.

2. blsdauthor profile image60
      blsdauthorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In spending time with God He will lead us in the right direction. It is written that to he who much is given much is expected. Believers should tithe their time, talents and money. Being a light is not only about dollars. God knows our heart! Fellowship with Him will develop our listening to His voice as He tells us what to do and where to plant our seeds.

8. Williamjordan profile image58
    Williamjordanposted 14 years ago

This is another one of those unpopular subjects that cute christian do not or will not understand it about true devotion being a light and a dark world demonstrating through our lives that God has empowered us and that we are willing ambassaords of faith.
    oh did I misunderstand did you not say consecrate our live that more than giving money.

9. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I have a strong belief that if you enter into a congregation and are taught by those who you feel are ordained by God to preach the gospel to you, that those men are literal mouthpieces of Jesus Christ. They receive his guidance, they are inspired and directed by him. Therefore if they come to you and ask something of you, that you should be compelled to do what you can to follow that instruction. A widow needs her lawn mowed, your services are requested to help at a homeless shelter in your spare time, etc.

Now there are always circumstances which might prevent you from doing, or contributing to such efforts but as was said by somone else in this forum, it's all about where your heart is, and if the people who lead your congregation are truely inspired they will know who can help out at what intervals, and they will also know when you might need a push to do something you might not feel like doing.

I've been pushed to serve others at times when I didn't feel like doing it, but when I got there, the feeling I received in my heart in serving others helped me to draw closer to the Lord, because when you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)