How do you know God exists ....?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 155 discussions (472 posts)
  1. secondsamuel profile image60
    secondsamuelposted 16 years ago

One of these days you will get to meet God, and my prayer is that you may come to know Him before that day comes. I am not going to debate or argue with anyone about the existance of God. Just look arround you, just think about the human brain and how complex it is. Man will never create a computer that is as fast and comprehensive as the human brain. God created your brain. As far as talking to other beings, you,re right I also talk to satan every day when he is shooting thoughts into my head, but I just let it go through my mind, not in it. I talk to my cat and my dog, but they did not create me.I know God is real because He lives inside me and sometimes I am so full of his presence I feel like I'm floating as an angel. A lot of people wait until their dying breaths to meet God and some of those people God grants His grace and gives the time to confess, and some never make it that far. God said "I AM THAT I AM" no He does'nt just exist. >>>>>>>>>"HE IS"

2. profile image0
    RUTHIE17posted 16 years ago

Just want to say I've plowed my way through this whole thread for the last hour or so and have come to the following conclusions:

1.  You either believe in God or you don't.

2.  There are as many versions of the belief in a Higher Being as there are stars in the sky.

3.  Religion is a very personal thing and should never be forced down anyone's throat.

4.  To believe or not is again a personal choice.  It's just always amazed me how many times a non-believer has called for God's help in a moment of crisis.

5.  An informal, personal belief as opposed to a structured, church-going belief is just as valid and full of truths.

6.  This whole thread reminds me of a dialogue in a Woody Allen film. big_smile

1. Kitchy Wytch profile image59
      Kitchy Wytchposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL Ruthie!  You're spot on, girl!  I've said it before - it's one's perspective that shapes their views on something as intricate and diverse as religion, spirituality, and/or the belief in a higher being or consciousness.

Those with faith require no proof thereof and have a hard time understand the non-believers that *do*.  Some can see both sides, yet have only experienced one.  And, there are those who WANT to believe but thus far in their lives have found no reason to.

No matter how you look at it or where you rank, it changes nothing.  It's all argument that cannot (by either side) be substantiated or wholly accepted by the other side.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I don't think anybody here is trying to change opponents' worldview. Well, at least the vast majority. smile

How about we just enjoy talking to each other, just for a sake of it, and this topic is as good as any other one, or even better? smile

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better myself. wink

It's interesting what people's beliefs are and why they see the world the way they do. It's a celebration of our diversity. We don't need to all believe the same thing, that would be boring. Lol.

The great thing here is that Atheists and Christians and Pagans and Buddhists and people of all faiths or non-faiths can actually engage in a religious conversation, an ongoing dialogue.

That's important. smile

2. Thom Carnes profile image61
      Thom Carnesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right, Misha.

I have no interest whatsoever in changing anyone's religious beliefs - I am just having a bit of a hard time trying to understand what those beliefs actually are.

And, as you say, it's certainly a great topic. Almost as interesting as sex or politics, perhaps....

4. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

Wait.....did Thom just agree with someone about God?
    wink

1. Thom Carnes profile image61

What? What? Surely not!

It must have been somebody else!

5. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/thumbnail2/1143_neener_neener_neener.gif

6. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

http://blog.luxuryproperty.com/wp-content/plugins/sem-wysiwyg/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/yahoo/24.gif

7. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

If there is a God tell him to turn on Spring already.
    http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/thumbnail2/1241_tongue_frozen_to_a_pole.gif

8. Mark Knowles profile image57

We have had the longest, coldest, horrible-est spell of crappy weather.

9. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

So it's not just us here. We had sun for a little while but now it's back to the winter coat.
    Now, I enjoy winter and the snow but there is a time for it to end. And that time is now! Lol.

I want to actually be able to wear shorts for more than 2 weeks this year. 2007 skipped summer and went straight to fall, rainfall that it is. big_smile

1. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Would now be a good time to talk about the fact the daily top temperature here is never lower than 15 degrees C (60 degrees F), even in the dead of winter?

tongue

Jenny

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Summer sounds fantastic. I bet the heat doesn't get to anyone big_smile

Average daily top temperature in December (first month of summer) is 25 degrees C (approx 80 F) where I live. Last summer we had one day over 40 degrees C (approx 110F).

I get uncomfortable when the top temperature is over 100F, so we have air conditioning.

Sydney is actually incredibly temperate, especially near the coast. I haven't heard of anywhere on the planet with a better climate.

Jenny

10. Mark Knowles profile image57

I am actually jealous at the moment because I live on the south coast of France and the weather sux for this time of year. Normally perfect but this year....

My brother spent 2 years in Oz and said the summers were a nightmare. I can't remember where he was though.

Parts of Australia are in the tropics and parts of the inland are desert. Summers can get awfully hot in those places.

But on the coast, well south of the Tropic of Capricorn, it is mostly very pleasant indeed.

Jenny

11. Mark Knowles profile image57

Kelly - I tried cleaning up your quote, but can't so I am not going to re-quote. I will stick for this now rather than get into a circular argument. I made a request of you, and I am well aware that you are putting your "Best to you," there for the benefit of every one else who may be reading the thread - not me, that's why I asked you not to do it. And this is one of the reasons there are no signatures on the forum posts here. You have just decided to make one yourself. It is slightly better than your first one, which I found offensive in the extreme, but.....  big_smile Your refusal tells me an awful lot about you, but no matter.

This is the original question:

"If God is outside of space and time (because He created space and time); if He is outside of nature and natural law (because He created nature and natural law); if He is invisible and intangible and cannot, it would appear, be experienced in any sensory way whatsoever - then how exactly does His existence manifest itself?

In other words, how is His being here any different to His not being here?

If He didn't exist, or if He ceased to exist, how would you know? How would you recognise the difference between His existence and His non-existence?"

And you have not attempted to answer it. You have just been even more condescending. You may think that you are using "clarity," but the word you choose to use and call "god," must be something completely different to what I have experienced.

Apology accepted. big_smile

And I remind you once again - I did not ask this question. Not sure why you are unable to grasp that basic fact. I would have though some one who has found god could at least listen to what is being said to him?

I wish you all you deserve in this life and the next.

1. Kelley Eidem profile image46
      Kelley Eidemposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You are mistaken in thinking I don't wish you the best, the very best, in fact. I do. I also wish every other reader the same.

There is a headline to this thread. The headline asks a question. And I've answered that question.

The subquestion is a prime example of the mind machine trying to discern the existence or non existence of God. I've been kind enough to point out that the mind machine is unable to make that discernment.

The mind is incapable of that task.

Note that the final part of the sub question is as follows: "then how exactly does His existence manifest itself?"

God manifests itself though our experience when we are experiencing joy, love, forgiveness and gratitude. None of those actions are part of the mind machine.

The first part of the question, "If God is outside of space and time (because He created space and time); if He is outside of nature and natural law (because He created nature and natural law); if He is invisible and intangible and cannot, it would appear, be experienced in any sensory way whatsoever". . . those are all mental concepts, and Mental concepts are wholly inadequate in discerning God's existence.

There is every reason for you to be an atheist, because you've helped to demonstrate how one cannot find or prove God's existence though mental cogitation. In other words, we agree. There is no proof of God's existence...in the realm you are looking in.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have to strongly disagree with you Kelley, God is not only manifest when we experience joy, love, forgiveness and gratitude.  Those actions are souly part of the mind machine.  Everyone can experience these forms of elation without the sensory conception of God.

1. profile image0

If those things are manifestations of God,  then you can call me God.

12. Mark Knowles profile image57

mohit - good luck with it then. Did you look at that link I suggested?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark looking at it right now.
      Best of luck to you to.

13. Thom Carnes profile image61
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

Kelley - Perhaps you could explain how exactly one experiences joy, love, forgiveness and gratitude if not through ones mind?

They are experienced through the heart...the spiritual heart.

The best to you.

Kelley

1. Thom Carnes profile image61

That's not a concept I am familiar with.

Could you explain where this receptive organ is situated, please - if not in the mind?

14. dojimonster profile image61
    dojimonsterposted 16 years ago

Evolution is only an imaginary theory in which no one on Earth is able to prove, generated by hopeless scientists who couldn't give solid evidence to back their fairy tales.

Grab a fish out of water, and put it on the ground. What happens next?

It wont change in to a lizard. Do it 1,000,000,000,000 the result will be the same.

Because God created the way the are. Variation may exist, but evolution is science fiction, only exist to serve its purpose: to entertain us.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL Here we go again!

Doji, please go to the Atheist rules! thread, it has an exhaustive discussion on evolution, no need to raise it again here.

1. dojimonster profile image61
        dojimonsterposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry...I was replying to Kitcy Witch's comment. I guess I click the wrong button.

Anyway, i still think it's related to the topic...smile

2. profile image0

Hey, hey, hey now Misha my mediator God,  this is a different thread,  Atheism rules don't apply on the How do you know God exist tread.  LOL.

15. Kitchy Wytch profile image59
    Kitchy Wytchposted 16 years ago

Yes, Misha that was *well* worth the laugh. wink  It never ceases to amaze me - the lack of logic that folks resort to.

Doji, you're welcome to post a new thread or go to the thread Misha suggested and I'll talk with you about it there.

No Kitcy. I'm not going to start a new thread or move to the thread Misa suggested. I feel fine here thank you.

The evolution thing was just a reply. I mean you brought it up in the first place...

thx for the laughter cool

Demonstrating an ignorance of the evolutionary process seems to be a popular tactic for "proving," god exists. big_smile

LOL you see...evolution does gets responds in this thread...I wasn't....I'm not and I shall not be a monkey  cool

Must be a huge bummer for you to know that your classification is as follows:

ANIMALIA - CHORDATA - MAMMALIA - PRIMATA - HOMINIDAE - HOMO - SAPIENS

I bet that primata (primate) part really gets ya proverbial goat!

Your attempts to be defensive are silly.  I asked you start a new thread for respect out of those who are having other conversations on *this* one.  My post which prompted your response was a reply to another's "proof" of god's existence.

1. profile image0

I think he was actually trying to be silly.  but like RFox says, it is sorta hard to know what the other person is saying when you can't actually see his expressions or hear his laugh.  Though it is probably why he uses the smile.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Actually, you are missing the point. It is not evolution that "gets responds," - it is ignorance.

I could explain, but as Misha has suggested, there is a good explanation of evolution on the other thread.

I know, that means reading - but I promise - People use small words that are easily understandable. Even to a monkey such as yourself. big_smile

2. Inspirepub profile image73

Well, since Original Sin was eating from the Tree of Knowledge, then Ignorance is next to Godliness.

Therefore, offering up inane "straw man" arguments against a theory one does not understand must be a form of worship, an attempt to replicate the original state of Godly Ignorance before The Fall.

We should show these people some tolerance.

In fact, let's offer help and support. How about we give each new one a rating out of 10?

I think this guy's was one of the best examples I have seen offered in this forum yet, but we need to allow room for growth, so I'd be reluctant to go beyond an 8 for that one.

Jenny

He gave up pretty quickly, so I think an 1/4 extra point is in order. Perhaps he is still reading up big_smile

I don't get it. Are we talking about the theory of evolution are we talking about the existence of God?

I personally believe that there's no room for the two notions. When the theory exists that God must step aside and vice versa.

I think the atheists rules in this thread also wink

3. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
          Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it does, and at the risk of dragging us down again...it is unfortunate.  Just as proof of evolution would not disprove the existence of God, proof that evolution does not happen would not prove that there is a God.  One of these days one camp or another will have enough proof to make the other say oops, and then what?  On to the next argument. 

I urge my fellow believers to really spend some time contemplating the cost/benefit of continuing in this debate.

Excuse my digression, but I have been unavailable for a while.

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I like your new avatar Sandy, it nicely complements the old one smile

1. profile image0

welll shank you.  wink

17. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

My new thought for the day.  No I am not angry but throwing something new into the mix.

I don't believe in peace because I have never seen it.  LOL. 
    they say though, that this exist, but you can't prove it.  smile

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

How about "I have never seen peace cause I don't believe in it"?

I think you have your causation backwards wink

1. profile image0

nope, it is more like how it is said, I will believe God when I see it, there fore I say, I will believe Peace, when I see it.  LOL.

I believe in peace and I also believe in God, but I have never seen peace, but a non-believer has, which in that case, I would much rather see peace then God, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. 

just food for thought.

1. Misha profile image63

OK, before we go any further, define "peace" please smile

1. profile image0

a peaceful co-existence between all different types of people.  To go further before it comes up later,  I don't care about what God actually is, I just know for myself that we are here, nothing I can do about it, but ultimate world peace seems to be the goal of Jesus or so I think, but I have never seen it, and by the works of the Bible, it wont happen either, until we are all dead.  smile

So, I guess then the proof of God would be if we actually lived in peace amongst each other, and that would be possitive proof, I guess.  Ultimatly every religion, philosophy, and such talk about peace, but the peace I am talking about is about 99.99% implausable if not impossible.

I am 99.99% sure that I will die and go to "heaven" before I see peace on Earth.  I am 100% sure that my idea of God exist, but 50% sure of a conscious afterlife. 
          smile

Sandra, I *love* this reply!  Yours is the type of brain that needs to be "picked".  Your contributions are awesome! smile

1. profile image0

thanks sweetie!  smile

2. profile image0

The only way we will ever live in Peace is if people believe it's possible. People also need to understand the power they have. Too many people feel helpless and allow violent dictators and a small faction of greedy, war mongering leaders to hold the balance of power and dictate how we live in this world.

There is a phenomenon known as critical mass. It is the point when enough regular people believe in something and that belief causes real change to occur.
            It happened in East Germany with the fall of the Berlin Wall. Enough people suddenly realized that they could end the Government and Military control over their lives and do it in a peaceful way.

It is absolutely possible when people believe in themselves and believe they hold the power to effect change. The problem is that most of the world's population doesn't believe this.

Most people feel they are not in control of themselves or their life or the world around.
            Most people feel they don't have choices.
            Even in Democratic Nations if you ask people on the street whether they are voting a number of people will answer: "What's the point, nothing ever changes, one vote won't make a difference."

Every choice we make including the the seemingly insignificant ones has an effect on the world around us.

One of the biggest problems I have with organized religion, especially theistic religions, is that they preach helplessness. Everything is God's will. It is God's choice not yours. Your life belongs to God or Jesus or Allah or......and you only live to serve God and the Church. You only live here on Earth as a trial to get into heaven.

Well that's not good enough for me. I want heaven on earth.

These doctrines were brought about by religious leaders in the Dark Ages as a method of control for the masses. The Churches wanted absolute power and they had absolute power for a long time. Unfortunately when you preach that human beings have no control over their lives it causes major problems in the world at large, because the people who aren't indoctrinated, the people who know they have power, can end up abusing it over and over again.

When the masses decide enough is enough no Government or Military can stop them. Look at the fall of the U.S.S.R. People had reached critical mass regarding Communism. It was not a peaceful end by any means but it did END. Major change was effected.

Each country, each person in the world has the power to change the world around them. A violent dictator cannot gain power if 500,000 people say 'no'. Wars cannot continue if the majority of civilians decide enough is enough. It's a sheer numbers game.

Too many people give away their personal power. smile

So that was my rant for the week. Enjoy. Lol.

3. Misha profile image63

Well, Rachelle covered the most of it. I'm pretty much with her on that. Just want to expand a little in the area she did not go into.

I think you can achieve the kind of peace you are talking about within your current earthy live - if you scale the scope down. Not the peace on Earth, but the peace around you. You can coexist peacefully with those around you who are willing to do this, and you can organize your life to exclude others from your immediate surroundings.

And I think this is the only possible way to the total Earth-wide peace. If everybody coexists peacefully with their neighbors, there is no place left for war big_smile

1. profile image0

Exactly! My rant was already too long to be able to get into this. Thanks for bringing it up. big_smile

2. profile image0

True, but then again, it really doesn't work out that way either because while I am pretty open to almost anything, my "neigbors" aren't.  So while I open up the hellos and how are you's and such to almost everyone I pass by, there is always that one that get's bent outta shape as if I was doing something bad.  Why this happenes, I am not sure. 
              Also, as I seem to see it, there is a tendancy to want to stick to what you know to be right and allow no room for discussion. 
              If everyone was like we are on this forum, for the most part because there is always at least one in considerable disagreement, to just agree to disagree but hold no hard feelings or ill will toward each other as indaviduals, then it would work. 
              I guess, the .01% who seem to bogg down the goodness and peace are the ones who hold the weapons of mass destruction, or just the desire to take life in the first place. 

Or as I like to quote just a few things from the bible Romans 3:11-18.  Which is why in these circumstances, men should fear God.  smile  As a marvel of contradiction, their never was any fear of God, but for those who cause wars, they do not fear God, in which case they should. 

wink

1. profile image0

Ah but as you said it's the 0.1% who are opposed to goodness. If the other 99.9% ignored them, wished them well no matter how they acted and continued to hold the balance of power then these 0.1% wouldn't have the weapons of mass destruction, they would be ineffective because no-one would listen to them.

And people get bent out of shape when you're nice to them because they don't understand it. They are afraid. Afraid of life, of themselves. Because of their fear they believe your 'niceness' is a front and that if they're nice back you will take advantage of them. smile

Fear is the root cause of most destructive emotions and actions. Anger, greed, hatred, ignorance, it all stems from fear. If we can remember this then our own actions towards people will change.

Even if someone is mean to you or hurtful or spiteful when we remember that it is because they are terrified we can conjure compassion for that person, just as you would for a child who is acting out because they are afraid.
                Now this doesn't mean you allow people to mistreat you, only that you can end the cycle of anger and hatred by not reacting to their ill will. By maintaining compassion for the person you are helping them even if it doesn't appear that way. Then you peacefully avoid having contact with that person.

If every person who behaved badly was told that they are a good person but their actions make it impossible to be around them, then eventually that person would start to look at their behavior. Sometimes this can take years or even a lifetime (for the most stubborn) but it does eventually happen.

The trick is to continue being nice and compassionate and to not expect anything in return. Just be the loving person you are always. This is how true change is effected. big_smile

1. profile image0

I agree 100%. 

I think I am on a percentile today, whats up?  smile

1. profile image0

One of those math kinda days. Lol.

Interesting Avatar. wink

2. Misha profile image63

That's what I'm trying to do in parenting. Man, this is soooooo hard sometimes! But doing this for a total stranger is way harder... But I agree, this is the only way to go

1. profile image0

Yep, not easy, that's why Buddhists meditate so much to try and change the way our brain works. Also meditating on death helps. Sounds morbid but if you truly understand that this could be your last day on earth you don't want to spend it angry, upset, hurt etc. Good luck with the parenting, you are a brave man. Lol. wink

When you can be at peace with this happening, you will be able to live in peace with your neighbors.

While you judge them for it, you will not.

Jesus was at peace with everyone, even the people who betrayed and killed him.

You cannot ever experience peace until you release all judgement. Deciding what is good and what is bad (judgement) is Original Sin. Original Sin is what causes us to be expelled from the Garden of Eden (peace and bliss).

Surrender your right to judge others, and peace is immediately yours.

Jenny

3. Inspirepub profile image73

And you say jail had no impact on your level of enlightenment?

That's at least three times you have posted something spiritually profound and highly articulate since the last time I read this forum.

I know you always had a feel for this before, Misha, but your ability to put it into words has taken a quantum leap this week.

Jenny

1. Misha profile image63

LOL - not that I'm aware of. I did not have any A-ha! moment there or something like this.

I think my recent posts are just the result of cumulative effect of many years of reading, thinking and exploring - and of several months of hanging out over here and talking to you guys smile You really are helping me to shape this into something more tangible, something I can rely on for guidance smile

4. Inspirepub profile image73

Oh, I see your dilemma.

You are looking to see peace manifest OUTSIDE your Self.

As an absence of conflict between other people.

I don't think that's where Jesus meant you to be looking.

Did he not say "The Kingdom of Heaven is within"?

Jenny

1. profile image0

True, if one says that the kindgom is in Heaven then the birds will proceede you, rather, the kindom is inside you and outside you....
              So Jenny,  I found the kindgom inside, now I am looking for it ouside.  Much love, Goddess of the Spirit.

smile  If I said, that I did not want to manifest the kindom outside of me, I would be a liar.

Now you're channelling me ....

Jenny

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Wow, can't remember you ranting. Ever!

1. profile image0

I know I'm not feeling very Zen today and this is a topic I'm pretty passionate about. Lol.

I see too many people I care about living lives that make them miserable simply because they feel they have no choice. It's my mission in life to show as many people as I can that they do have a choice. Everything in this life is a choice whether we want to admit that to ourselves or not. big_smile

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL Sandy, which fish is the Christian one? yikes

1. profile image0

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/thatfunny.gif

1. profile image0

LOL,  I guess we would have to ask a christain.  My guess is half would say, they are the big fish, and the other half would say the small fish, and the Pope would say, it glutony, and Darwin would say,  in another thousand years or so, I can make this work, an gnostic would say,  ignorant fish, lol, the Buddha would say, it's just an illusion, but a fine joke. hahaha.
        And God would say, oh geeze, whateva I give up and these fish.  ahahahhahaha.

smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL

2. profile image0

Lol. Sandra, you are too funny.

21. Mark Knowles profile image57

Couldn't god have made evolution happen?

No. No there's no room for God in the theory, since it based on an assumption that the first living thing were created from an unliving thing through a series of "accidental" events.

God had nothing to do with it.

I'm a believer but i'm also a very reasonable person. i don't believe in ghosts and demons but i do believe in the prophets although i don't believe that they have magical power.

God exists, evolution no, nada.

2. Kelley Eidem profile image46

God could have made evolution happen, but didn't. At least not neo-Darwinian evolution.

The Ergonom 500 microscope made by Grayfield Optical closes the casket lid on Darwinian theory. The link below (scroll down after clicking on the link to find the video "Symbiosis or Parasitism") has a video which shows a virus transforming into a bacteria and then into a mold/fungal form.

This type of transformation was predicted by Dr. Emanuel Revici who formulated the theory of "Hierarchic Organization." There is no mutational transformation causing the changes.

http://www.grayfieldoptical.com/online_videos.html

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

I think we have our winner!

10 out of 10.

What moron suggested to you , Kelley, that this video "closes the casket lid on Darwinian theory"?

This is exactly the organism that the Creationists on this list have been bleating "couldn't exist". This is an organism which reproduces its DNA WITHOUT the protection of a cell membrane (in fungal form - you can watch it on the video) but under the right conditions forms (or parasitises) single cells, to make a bacterial "spore factory", and reproduces using the material inside the cell.

Did you miss the part where the presenter said that this organism is present in EVERY LIVING CREATURE, INCLUDING PLANTS?

(The point of the video is that when someone has cancer, this organism get out of control and reproduces in it fungal form as well as devastating blood cells with its parasitic form - but under normal conditions it lives happily in symbiosis with us.)

This organism is the missing link between loose reproducing DNA in a fluid medium, and single-celled organisms - because it can be both, much as the axolotl can be both fish and lizard, depending on the conditions.

This organism is the most resounding endorsement for Darwinian Theory I have ever seen.

Whoever sold you the "nail in the coffin" story was either manipulating you for personal gain, or scientifically untrained and repeating dogma they had heard somewhere else.

You have to watch this video, everyone (it is an ad for the microscope, unfortunately, and my player wouldn't fast forward through the advertorial bits) - it is truly awe-inspiring to watch the cells stretching as their internal load of spores grows, and then see a little spore "pop" into the blood serum and swim away. There is also a bonus section showing heart muscle cells dying during a heart attack. Irrelevant to evolution, but again, magical to watch.

The key points to note - the tiny balls are the spores off to look for a place to reproduce. The big Y-shaped things make new little balls without the use of any cell, just by absorbing nutrients from the surrounds. And the infected cells make more little balls using their internal resources.

Imagine all this happening in the primordial goo instead of in someone's blood stream, and it is like watching Genesis ... breathtaking ...

So, I have to give this 10 out of 10 for presenting pro-evolution evidence and claiming it is anti-evolution.

Jenny

Kelley Eidemposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is several months late, but...

Perhaps I didn't express myself well.

Darwinism is flat out wrong. The Egronom 500 microscope proves it. Specifically today's Darwinism is wrong because we did not evolve through mutation. Since Evolution is so closely tied to Darwin, a different name needed to be used to describe what actually happens. It's called Hierarchic Organization.

For instance, a bacteria can mutate but it NEVER becomes any thing other than a new bacteria. It never becomes a fungus or a mold or a yeast.

So yes, there is 'evolution' but it's entirely different that what is taught in colleges and universities today.

Interpreting what is seen on the Ergonom 500 as Darwinism is to be blinded by the religion of Darwinism. You need to look at it as it's actually happening without placing your habit of believing in Darwin as an overlay. In no case does the bacteria MUTATE to become a fungus. It has never happened since time began.

Bacteria adds a layer of material which leads to the fungus. Viruses, bacteria and fungus  make this progression and do so all the time. That's not mutational, it's Hierarchic Organization.

Neither evolution or Hierachic Organization prove or disprove the existence of God. It is impossible to prove the spiritual by means of the material. The spiritual can only be experienced by itself. It manifests as love and joy.

Just like an apple can't experience what is is to be an orange, the physical can't experience the spiritual.

Sorry I will respond more fully when I have had the time to watch that whole video.

But, I will quickly say this:

Darwinian theory, neo-Darwinian theory, and the theory of evolution are not all the same thing. (Jenny - we have a winner! 10/10 for sure.)

Perhaps the most accurate word to describe the current accepted most-likely scenario is "Evolutionary synthesis."

But you appear to be saying that because one "scientist," with a home-made microscope has "proved," hierarchical organization ," occurs, you believe that natural selection cannot occur.

Is that correct?

As far as I can tell from what limited information I have been able to find on the subject, Revici was working in a vacuum scientifically speaking, but seems to put forward the idea that evolution does occur, but using a different process that Darwin suggests. Is that also correct?

And couldn't the god that exists for you have made this happen also?

22. Mark Knowles profile image57

LOL

Well - Both the Catholic church and many protestant churches will disagree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

Speaking as an atheist, evolution in no way proves the non-existence of god, as far as I'm concerned.

There is no mention of "accidental," in the theory of evolution. If anything it seems more a case of "trial and error." And a pretty high failure rate as far as I can tell. big_smile

I really suggest you read the other thread before speaking up. Abiogenesis and the Theory of Evolution are two entirely different subjects, and I cannot make the leap of faith that is required to see how a failure to prove one automatically discounts the other.

I guess you think the grand canyon was formed in a flood that wiped the dinosaurs out too huh?

Or are you a dinosaurs-never-existed-it's-a-plan-by-the-devil kinda guy?

Although you are certainly going to be a contender in Jenny's thread big_smile

That's ok. I'm not a christian nor a catholic anyway.

wikipedia isn't my favourite source of information.

Could u give the link to the thread?

dinosaur? hmmmm only seen it on Spielberg's Jurassic Park

OK, Dojimonster, I just have to ask, if you aren't a Christian (which means by definition you aren't a Catholic, since they are Christian), why are you peddling this Christian pseudo-science Creationist line of argument?

I can understand people doing it when they have been taught that the life of their immortal soul depends on it, but what possible motivation could you have without that belief system?

Jenny

There are other believes other than Christianity, you know....but that's not the point...

We're waiting.

If it's not the dinosaurs never existed or the well they did but they were wiped out in a flood, there must be something else that makes you aggressively believe that millions of scientists have completely got it wrong.

The flying spaghetti monster did it ?

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/spaghetti.jpg

23. Mark Knowles profile image57

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/3586

It's a long one, but I don;t see the point of going over it again.

I have never seen a living dinosaur either. But by your logic, I have never seen my great great grandfather so.....

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Ev … lution.asp

LOL but I know my great great great father existed, I'm the living proof  smile

24. Mark Knowles profile image57

LOL - You beat me to it. big_smile And as usual did a much better job that I.

Edit - Kelley, I will not be responding further on this one. It seems redundant now. big_smile

25. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

At least we were agreed on the score!

26. dojimonster profile image61
    dojimonsterposted 16 years ago

LOL somebody outscore me..

You can always try again, but you are up against some extremely good competition now. I have a feeling this one will be almost impossible to beat.

27. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life. ---Albert Einstien.

thought it was a nice quote of the day.

smile

28. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Morality is a relative category Sandy smile

29. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Because I've heard his name countless times, therefore he must exist because.....oh I'm bored!!!! god is a simple anagram of dog....wooo hooo!!

30. Thinkaboutit77 profile image71
    Thinkaboutit77posted 16 years ago

The question for this religion forum is "How do you know God exists....?

My question is: How do you know anything? In other words, how do you know that you "know"? Or put another way (for those who doubt God's existence), how do you "know" that you don't know?

"Not knowing" is knowing that you "don't know" and knowledge doesn't come from non-knowledge just like intelligence doesn't come from non-intelligence. Therefore it is logically impossible for God NOT to exist.

The question before us is, not "does God exist?" but what faith points you to the real God? Since all religions' teachings contradict one another, logically they can't all point you to God. Since all religions claim to be the right religion you must look to fulfilled prophecy to point the way to the truth. Those who are sincerely looking for the truth here's my challenge: pick up a new testament (KJV) and read the gospel of John. Sincerely ask Jesus Christ to reveal the truth to you through His Word and He will and when He does you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free guaranteed.

1. Misha profile image63

you cannot make this conclusion logically smile

1. Thinkaboutit77 profile image71
        Thinkaboutit77posted 16 years agoin reply to this

then neither can you make the conclusion logically that I "cannot make this conclusion logically"

my friend, you're point is self defeating. If you;re looking for the truth just read the Gospel of John and ask the Lord Jesus to reveal Himself to you. And when He comes tugging at your heart, don't resist Him, let Him in and you'll be free.

LOL - All you guys keep on repeating the same old thing over and over and over and over.

Doing that does not make it true.

Plus any fool can see that there are many different interpretations of the bible. Yours is just one of many. And not a very popular one at that.

And you are not using any sort of logic in your argument.

Pick one - Logic or Faith. Which is it? You cannot have both. big_smile

1. Raven Emrys profile image69
            Raven Emrysposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Why not? You have faith in logic, do you not Mark?

Absolutely not. Even a dimwit like me can see it does not work in many cases. big_smile

Look through some of the threads on religion and you will see it is only about 25% effective.

1. profile image0
                Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science." [Darwin]

Neither did Darwin, Mark.

smile

P.S.

I put my faith in ER doctors to save lives.  Not the "Lord Jesus".

This approach doesn't seem to work.

The conclusion I come to when I read this statement is:

If what you are saying is true, there would only be one god. Therefore you are wrong.

And I am sure all the other religion believers will say the same thing. "Read our book with an open heart and you will see the light."

Here's the deal:

You are all wrong.

Contemplate that statement with an open mind, connect to your god, and the truth really can set you free. Guaranteed - or your old soul back big_smile

31. Karen and Lesley profile image60
    Karen and Lesleyposted 16 years ago

Through studying the scriptures, asking him in prayer and then waiting to receive an answer.  The answer does come with such a sensation that you know you have received an answer.  The other thing is if there is a God and he wants us to know about him then surely he will tell us if we ask him.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71

Amen.

Doesn't really answer the question though. And what if he tells you he doesn't exist? big_smile

Work that one out.

Hey Peter. smile

32. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

What if He told me He didn't exist?  Huh?  That one may take a while.  You're starting to sound like Thom.

33. Mark Knowles profile image57

sandra - sounds like you're getting it. big_smile

34. Kitchy Wytch profile image59

I believe one can possess logic and faith - most definitely.

In my personal experience, I have learned to separate the two.  That way my spirituality can coexist with my love of  science.

35. Mark Knowles profile image57

I guess that depends more on what your faith is telling you than anything else.

I personally do not have a clash between the two, but in the context we are speaking of, there was a fairly hefty clash.  And his logic is flawed because it relies on faith big_smile And separating them would be hard if you believe certain things.

If you have faith that the world was created in 6 actual days 6,000 years ago, yet your logic and scientific evidence tells you this is not accurate, you are going to run into trouble.

Or end up making up a bunch of pseudoscientific "facts" to back up your faith-based beliefs.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4393  big_smile

36. Kitchy Wytch profile image59

lol!  I've belonged to an Evolution Vs Creationist MSN group for years.  We have an excellent fundie Hall of Shame there, too - and excellent discussion.

http://groups.msn.com/EvolutionVCreatio … page3.msnw

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71

Too funny!  big_smile

It will be nice when we all figure out we are all in this together.  I look forward to that day...

37. Mark Knowles profile image57

OMG (oodness)  LOL

I am laughing so hard I can hardly type. There are some real gems there. This are some of my favorites:

"i won't debate the Bible with anyone that doesn't believe in it"

"i denie the evoltionist stand on contenental drift just like all geologists do"

"i could care less about nything that does not pertain to God"

"Darwin came up with his THEORY as a prank. he later recanted"

Although I think Jenny's winner beats all these. big_smile

There are some pretty good pro-evolution ones too.

38. Kitchy Wytch profile image59

Yep, those were the days when we had free MSN chat rooms!  I can go back and read those and laugh until my sides hurt!  I'm so glad they were saved.

I made it into the Hall of Fame (pro-evo).. under JeanneAnne. Wee!!

39. profile image0
    Graceful Guardianposted 16 years ago

Well for One,I believe god exists because it upsets so many athiests/anti-gods

1. profile image0

is anit-gods different from anti-God?  smile

40. revverdin profile image60
    revverdinposted 15 years ago

I beilieve that we are all born with faith in God. As we get older, we develope more of an understanding how things work. If we continualy seek to figure out every none essiential detail(as if God is out to get us) then we will loose our faith in God.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How is that detail non-essential? If I understood you correctly, this makes a whole lot of difference in life whether God is there to get you or not smile

1. revverdin profile image60
        revverdinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The point that I was making by saying "non-essiential", was not to mean that it doesn't matter if God is there or not. We have to draw the line between faith and logic. There are some details that we do not need to know about God. We do our part, and trust that God will do His. It is this trust that allows us to develope a relationship with God.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hmmmm...interesting, I like that.  Not the typical reverend???  What would our part be?  smile

2. mohitmisra profile image60
          mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is true you do your part and God or the cosmos will do its part- its a hand in glove situation.
          In fact God is supremely intelligent and knows everything the past and the future .Something I do not know so I must have faith in my actions.God will come through. smile

Whatever you try do your best,
          Unto God leave the rest. smile

Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

At best, this is wrong, at worst a lie. If you truly believe this, you should take a look at the circularity of this argument, and the logistical holes in it. So a few questions:

Why is questioning how things work that same as thinking god is out to get us?

What makes you believe we are born with faith in god? Other than the fact that you believe, therefore it is.

This argument makes no sense. Its only possible purpose is to say, "Those who don't believe in god are wrong."

And those non-essential details are actually essential. Inconvenient if you are trying to push a non-existent god, but essential nonetheless.

This level of argument may have worked in the dark ages, but it's not going to fly now.

Welcome to hubpages big_smile

3. mohitmisra profile image60

No we are not all born with faith in God-I wasnt .I thought god was a myth  created by people to gain control.Some are born aware of God,some come across god later in their lives like I did and some will probably at the moment of death. smile

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Those who lived a long life with multiple experiences and without faith in god, will certainly not believe in god even when he dies.  With experience, he will expect death at any time.
        One who has 100% self confidence need not have faith in god.  Those who fail in something will look our for a saviour, and if no one comes to his rescue, he invites god. 
        One who expects nohing from God and have sincere faith in him will be the real god believer.... and there is no one like that among people... like god himself.

One who has 100% self confidence need not have faith in god.
          This confidence comes with knowing god.You will do what you have to no matter what the world things .This is because you are being directed by god.

I have noticed its elderly people those who are close to death who become more spiritual or believers in God even though they were atheists all there lives..

Like I said before one must do his thing and God does his. When God directs me to do something I obviously expect him to be taking care of the rest which he does.
          While alive a human can become enlightened a god man ,that is fuse with God become One.smile

With experience, he will expect death at any time.
          What is death?
          Someone who doesnt know god doesnt know death.
          So he is not confident. smile

God and death cannot be clubbed.  Death is a natural phenomenon.   God is something else.. a source of income for many...  a source of peace for some, a source of interesting and heated argument for a few... whether god exists or not, I am not going to argue.  But when someone insists others to believe god and threatens that something will happen if he does not believe god, the whole theory of god loses its substance.  Everyone should have the right to believe or bely god.

People who claim to be practical,
              Lost souls indeed theatrical.

All your practicalities will seieze to exist,
              The moment death you seize to resist.

One must die to be one with God. smile they are clubbed one cannot be without the other smile

I agree everyone has his or her own right to think how they want.I cannot force anyone to believe god exists .I share my story ,thats my job not how someone else takes it ,thats his perogative. smile

I appreciate your gesture.  This kind of positive approach will certainly avoid unnecessary arguments.  The degree of god-faith and timings vary from person to person.

smile

41. profile image49
    mycoolaposted 15 years ago

I believe there is a God.  I can't prove there is.  If I made the statement "God does not exist" I could not prove that either.  Sort of a stalemate

It certainly is interesting how many of you base your belief on the fact that it is impossible to prove something doesn't exist when the proof is all around. smile

Stalemate lol

2. mohitmisra profile image60

When philosophers like Friedrich Nietzsche made the statement god is dead .What they were trying to do is remove the strange notions man had made about god.

42. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Yes, indeed.

I believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. I can't prove it.

I even have a video of it on my Hub, but I realise that even video evidence may not be considered sufficient proof by the unbelievers, lost and deluded as they are.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Church-Of-T … ti-Monster

But if I made the statement "The Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist" I couldn't prove that either.

Especially with all the video evidence of its existence.

Yep, definitely a stalemate. But I know I am right, so the stalemate doesn't bother me.

Jenny

43. gossipgirl81 profile image59
    gossipgirl81posted 15 years ago

GOD EXIST. HE IS SELF EXISTENT,ETERNAL,UNCHANGEABLE,OMNIPRESENT,OMNISCIENT,OMNIPOTENT AND INFINTE. "FOR I AM THE LORD, I CHANGE NOT" MALACI 3:6. ALL THINGS PAST,PRESENT AND FUTURE ARE KNOWN TO GOD.

FOR THE NON BELIEVERS, THE SCRIPTURE SAYS IN PSALMS 53:1 "THE FOOL HATH SAID IN HIS HEART, THERE IS NO GOD. CORRUPT ARE THEY, AND HAVE DONE ABOMINABLE INIQUITY: THERE IS NON THAT DOETH GOOD."

1 JOHN 2:22 SAYS,"WHO IS A LIAR BUT HE THAT DENIETH THAT JESUS ISTHE CHRIST? HE IS ANTICHRIST, THAT DENIETH THE FATHER AND THE SON."

2ND JOHN 7 SAYS "FOR MANY DECEIVERS ARE ENTERED INTO THE WORLD, WHO CONFESS NOT THAT JESUS CHRIST IS COME IN THE FLESH. THIS IS A DECEIVER AND AN ANTICHRIST."

1ST JON 2:18,"LITTLE CHILDREN,IT IS THE LAST TIME: AND AS YE HAVE HEARD THAT ANTICHRIST SHALL COME, EVEN NOW ARE THERE MANY ANTICHRIST; WHERE BY WE KNOW IT IS THE LAST TIME.

SEE, GOD KNEW FROM BEFORE MEN THAT THERE WOULD BE NON BELIEVERS AND THEY ARE THE ANTICHRIST. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON THERE SOUL.

44. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

gossipgirl -

Using all caps in forum threads is considered to be shouting and very rude.

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Crossed in the post again!

Oh well. I like to think I must be a faster typist than you, but as I am a two fingered typist, I doubt it. Seriously liked your poem the other day by the way. Not a big poetry fan, but I know quality writing when I read it.

Thank you smile

45. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

God learned about lower case quite early in his development.

46. gossipgirl81 profile image59

Sorry, I am new to this. Thanks for informing me. I am not trying to shout and I am definitely not rude. So again I apologize and am not here for a wrong impression.

No worries - and welcome smile

47. gossipgirl81 profile image59

Thanks paraglider.

48. dayzeebee profile image68
    dayzeebeeposted 15 years ago

...peace to all ...and to all...thank you...smile

49. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

Amen lol

50. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

The question is this:

If God is outside of space and time (because He created space and time); if He is outside of nature and natural law (because He created nature and natural law); if He is invisible and intangible and cannot, it would appear, be experienced in any sensory way whatsoever - then how exactly does His existence manifest itself?

In other words, how is His being here any different to His not being here?

If He didn't exist, or if He ceased to exist, how would you know? How would you recognise the difference between His existence and His non-existence?

As I say, I think this is quite an important question, as it raises all sorts of issues about the way we "know" that something (anything!) exists. It is particularly important, I think, when it comes to the existence of non-physical, non-material entities

My answer is this:

first, i would say that God is not outside of time and space, but IS time and space because it is of the energy with which God IS. God is not outside nature and natural law, but IS nature and natural law because it is of the energy with which God IS. God is not intangible or invisible because the energy that God IS is what makes up the substance of all things.

Alpha/Energy is the beginning...Omega/Mater (Latin) is the end (the result/manifestation of Alpha energy put forth)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)