jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (14 posts)

We just love religion

1. Disappearinghead profile image79
    Disappearingheadposted 7 years ago

Religion and politics are supposed to be the taboo subjects at a dinner party or down the pub with your mates. However the stats on these forums don't bear this out.

Though our athiest friends like to say on the forums that religions are all a load of nonsense, even they can't stay away; drawn like everyone else to religion like it's hardwired into our brains.

Here's the numbers:
    Total number of forum topics - 20
    As of 23rd of May 2010, 2.10pm BST
    Total number of topics - 14,604
    Total number of posts - 463,480

Topics:
    Politics & Social issues - 17%
    Religion & Beliefs - 16%
    Entertainment - 10%
    All others are less than 10%

Politics & Social Issues - 23%
    Entertainment - 6%
    All others are 6% or less

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL - Like I keep telling you religionists. You stop shouting about your imaginary friend - I stop telling you what nonsense it is. I suspect this is too difficult a concept for you to grasp as you have apparently only read one book. I suggest broadening your horizons and expanding your education.

I despise religion and think it is the most evil human invention - after money.

Disappearingheadposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh I have read other books: Peter & Jane, Janet & John, Curly Tail the Pig, Spot the Dog....need I go on? wink

No, no - I believe you. LOL

I am enjoying you pointing out how ridiculous and baseless the Mulsimist's religion is though. wink Not that an irrational belief in an invisible super being causes conflicts or anything....

Disappearingheadposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well I haven't been in forumland for a while, and I needed to get something off my chest. smile

I see that. Yes - I have a lot of Christian friends very upset at the Muslimists at the moment. Their religion is impinging on your religion and they are starting to be as clever as the Christian religionists at doing the condescending "I know some thing special that was given into my head that makes me better than you and you will never be as good as me until you believe what I believe," aren't they? wink

2. profile image57
              (Q)posted 7 years agoin reply to this

So, it's not enough that your religion has caused and continues to cause the majority of all problems in the world, you had to have a go at those who are fed up with those problems, too?

1. Jerami profile image72
                Jeramiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So you do not think that hunger, coveting, and perversion has caused any of the problems in the world?

Religion has done it all?

1. profile image57
                  (Q)posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much, yes. It has been doing so for centuries, Jerami. It is the greatest evil to ever befall mankind.

2. Jerami profile image72

Mark; I don't think that Disappearinghead is complaining about anything. Just making a statement.
           The discussions on here wouldn't be the same without your presence.
           Believers seem to love arguing with non believers.
        Doing that is easier than actually debating different ideologies  within their religions.

Nothing is ever actually achieved within a mutual gratification club. 

Nothing is ever learned when everyone is saying the same things..

I know Jerami. That is why I am here - in the hope of teaching you religionists something.

Who knows? Maybe it will stick? I doubt it as you all seem totally closed to the idea that you are wrong and by far the thing I hear most is, “I have faith, I believe - and nothing you can say or do can shake my faith.”

Which if you think about it is basically (I am paraphrasing Penn Jillette here) saying.

"Shut up! My imaginary friend means more to me than anything you can ever say or do.”

Which is at the heart of my disdain for religion. You believe. Anything is proof enough for you. And you are closed to a rational discussion.

I do not think it is possible to have a rational discussion about the invisible super being. It can only ever end in conflict. Always.

1. Jerami profile image72

I forget where I heard that when investigating any incident that both parties will have their side of the story and the truth is something else.,
               or something like that
            I think that there is a reality someplace between the two extremes.

But it is impossible to hold onto cause life is in itself an oxymoron

Everybody is right and everybody is wrong.

3. TMMason profile image70
        TMMasonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You just proved his point mark... nicely done.

Hungry moths... hungry hungry moths...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

So - I guess yes - I am drawn to remove this evil. If that makes me a moth in your valuable estimation - so be it. I watch you attacking one ridiculous religion while pushing your own and causing conflict and feel obliged to point out the inherent evil and what a morally faulty approach this is.

I hope one day to teach you some moral basis instead of this hatred and understand that you personally are responsible for the problems in your country. Not some left wing bogey man.

You are. Stand up - be a man and accept responsibility instead of blaming everyone else.

working