To atheists, agnostics & other non-traditionalists out there, why are religionis

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

To atheists, agnostics & other non-traditionalists out there, why are religionists SO FOND OF, IN

LOVE WITH, & SO ENTHRALLED with concepts of the devil/Satan/Lucifer & hell?   Give analytical answers please(as I know you all will).  It seems that religionists are so fond of mentioning the devil & hell in their conversations.  It seems that they are more fascinated w/the darker side of life, having permeate into life in general, creating fear & negativity.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12143727_f260.jpg

2. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

I think religious people are prone to judge others, like it's their right to do so for some reason. They believe their authority and guidelines come straight from their gods.
    And Satan is the "enforcer", the one that gives them the power to enforce their judgements.
    They believe that their god created Lucifer for the express purposes of carrying out the horrible sentences that their gods assigned to earthly acts of humans.
    At least this is part of the law that was handed down to Moses via some bush that was on fire. Imagine judging the world and its inhabitants because of a talking burning bush.
    And the story of the burning bush god who birthed himself out of a child virgin in order to have himself tortured to death for the sins of mankind - his own supposed invention. Instead of fixing his mistakes, he creates demons to torture his children for eternity.
    It's senseless, mindless, superstition. People need to grow up and learn the difference between reality and religious fantasy.

1. profile image0
      SonOfSkyrim201posted 8 years agoin reply to this

this is the biggest B.S I've ever heard. You're clearly misinformed as to what Christians believe.

Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Fardmir - you are such a gullible little troll. Why don't you tell us what Christians believe then? Yes, please INFORM me. (or just keep insulting me - your choice).

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image68
    Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years ago

I think it comes from these people believing they have some kind of moral high-ground - trying to use fear-mongering into getting others to change their beliefs or ways, insisting that they're safe from hell and Satan but EVERYONE ELSE is susceptible and it's all around us and blah blah blah....

1. Austinstar profile image85

They do tend to believe in conspiracy theories. Sometimes it seems as if they believe in the most absurd conspiracies ever. And once their mind is convinced, they are completely closed to evidence contrary to their beliefs. I find it quite bizarre.

4. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

I will always see a difference between those non-intrusive believers and imposing  religionists with a "mission" on their mind. So, whatever I want to say here is about the latter ones.
    In my opinion, religionists are basically insecure folks with a need to push something huge-and-powerful in front of them as a shield against what appears to them as an unfriendly world. What they are saying could be symbolized like this : "Watch it world, I got a big and almighty god on my side, so you might as well love me; and if you don't, I also got a devil on the side to get you!"

In their insecurity they are fixated on sin, punishment, judgement day, and what particularly tells on their negative fixation is the fact that they only have one good deity, and then a few names for the bad guy, like devil, demon, Lucifer, Satan, possibly a few more whom I haven't had the honor of hearing about.
    All of these folks are very suggestible by nature, and as such bound to fall for such a suggestive and bombastic story. It's a sort of natural for people to glamorize someone of apparently big authority or even might. Look how many fans come to a Red Carpet event in Hollywood. It's only human to be fascinated by those "bigger than us", and it gets greatly amplified when a deity is in question.

It's good old fear at the bottom of it all. When I hear that cute rationalization about "proof" for the validity of religion being in "thousands of years of its presence on earth" -  all I have to think of is : how many thousands of years has fear been around. It's ingrained in all living beings. Even a plant attached to a lie detector showed a fear response as the experimenter was approaching to its leaves with the flame of cigarette lighter.

Now, I am not exactly mocking them here, but just trying to see what's behind their fascination with negative aspects of religion. It wouldn't be fair to make fun of people who are trying to somehow compensate for their insecurities. It's still better than looking for artificial courage to face the world by resorting to drugs and other chemical crutches.

However, I am only making clear what  MY reasons are for not taking their story seriously. If it helps them in  some way, it's fine with me, as long as they get the message to keep their "sweet illusions" to themselves.

Aha! That is the crux of the problem. Some of these religious folk will just NOT keep their opinions to themselves. Even if you ask them nicely. Even when you ask them forcefully. Even when you try to ignore them. They just won't STFU!

2. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lela  - You know, it's actually fun to see them agonizing over the fact that they are not recognized as an "authority". I have seen enough of these defensive comments to come to such conclusion. .

3. Austinstar profile image85

It is fun! :-) There are a couple of nuts around here that constantly amuse me. They continously put targets up in front of their own faces.

5. Taopi profile image62
    Taopiposted 8 years ago

It is the triumphalist nature of the Abrahamic religions, and more specifically Christianity and Islam, that propagates and subjugates with their dogma of polar opposites...good (like us and those who agree with us) and bad (those who are not like us and disagree with us).  What better weapon than humanity's inherent awareness of their own mortality?  Frighten people with their own death...by tales of paradise for those who believe like us or the theatrical hell of the most gruesome Renaissance depiction that awaits those who refuse our dogma. 

This triumphalist approach has been a good money making machine for the likes of Pat Robertson and those of his heaven v. hell snake oil ilk, just as it has been for Rush Limbaugh and those of his political ilk to keep the blind followers as ignorant and uncritical as possible and terrify them with tales of Muslim presidents, baby killers behind the curtain of Planned Parenthood and murky gay agendas.  It's utter balderdash and twisted theatrics and in the United States, especially, a game of control and legal pick pocketing...except the victims are generally willing to be pick pocketed.

It's also an ego trip, a fantasia, but a trip just the same.  If the unbeliever in one's dogma can be sentenced to eternal damnation for finite foibles, well, that makes one pretty special to avoid that dire Fate, yes?  Why not relish god's special favor?  He does, after all, think like ME.  It is rather bleak, yes, but religion is the dark side's greatest tool...or so the old saying goes.  I think it is the ego that is the dark side, though.

It doesn't have to make sense.  It's religion.

6. CrescentSkies profile image63
    CrescentSkiesposted 8 years ago

As far as I can tell that's how they exert control. By showing the darker side to their followers they create a mass that is afraid of certain punishment. People who are afraid of punishment are easy to manipulate as long as you instill the idea that you can protect them from this punishment. This solidifies these religious leaders as the protectors and the flock as their advertisers. The flock will spread the word of this punishment and the protector without any pushing from the leader, both to achieve validation of their beliefs (as more join the flock) and to achieve a feeling of power (as an extension of their protector).

1. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Michael  -  I like your answer very much, and the way you are reasoning.

Yes, a very concise and probably accurate answer.

7. daydreamer13 profile image60
    daydreamer13posted 8 years ago

I never noticed that fascination, but it could be an awareness that people are forgetting that there are consequences to bad behavior. Even the children today are aware that they can get away with more than previous generations, and there's more and more arguing the criminals' side than the victims'. I don't think Christians, or anyone, want to force negativity, but they may feel a need to remind some that if you do bad, bad will happen. But, as I have said many, many, times, we come from different places, so maybe you are seeing something I don't see.

First off, you are phrasing it negatively. "do bad, get bad". Why not just teach children that there are CONSEQUENCES to actions - both "bad" and good. This is a much better lesson than meeting "bad" with "bad".

2. daydreamer13 profile image60
      daydreamer13posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The question asks about negativity so I answered it accordingly. And I wouldn't teach a child there are negative consequences to good actions. That would be discouraging and confusing.

3. Austinstar profile image85

Do you not understand that CONSEQUENCES can be good? or bad? The consequences of taking the correct medicine can be the saving of your life. The problem a lot of people have is jumping to "wrong" conclusions about things.

4. daydreamer13 profile image60
      daydreamer13posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I distinctly wrote the word "negative" and you are simply being annoying. You just want to argue and I'm done with you. My intention was to answer a question, not argue!

5. Austinstar profile image85

Your conclusion verifies my point about people jumpng to conclusions about things. I was trying to give you a different perspective and you concluded that i am arguing with you.

8. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

Actually, they are not. Most sermons barely recognize hell---though maybe they should.
    But, as an atheist, I guess you wouldn't know that. But hey, why dither over factual information when it is so much easier to hypothesize about others rather than face one's own hypocrisy.
    A better question would be, why are atheists so enthralled with making fun of Christianity? As they do it so often, maybe their answers might prove to be more accurate, you know...since it actually reflects the truth, which your question does not. Even then, I doubt the answer would be "real."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)