Legality of Tithing in New Testament Chruches

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Transministry profile image59
    Transministryposted 14 years ago

The Laws of Moses and the Prophets (especially Deut 14 & Milachi 3)makes it mandatory for the payment of tithes in the old testament.

However, it is been advocated that the death of Christ fulfills the laws and we are in the dispensation of grace where every born again christian is said to be a priest (a royal priesthood and Jesus is the High priest)

Do you agree to the practice of today's Pastors / Evangelists requesting the continued payment of tithes (10% of your salary) in churches legal and in consonance with the scriptures?

Furthermore, was tithe ever paid in cash during the old testament? Was tithe dropped at the temple and left to the Priest to manage as they liked or was it a joint feast in the presence of God?

Submit you comments addressing all or any of the areas of this discuss with an open mind anchored on appropriate scriptures.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question.

My short answer is no I don't agree with it.

Longer answer with Scriptures maybe later...

2. profile image57
      exorterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the tithes was put into storehouses, it was there for the need of the people, if there was a year of famine, then the people went to the storehouses to sustain them for the year

3. RevLady profile image59
      RevLadyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Judah's Daughter and Exorter. In the Old Testament, which is clear, it was about produce and agricultural needs, not money in the sense that we understand it today.

In the New Testament, no amount is set. It is based on love. The widow who gave her mite, gave 100% of what she had out of love, which Jesus highly praised. God looks at the heart, so regardless of what we give, it must be in the right motive.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 14 years ago

In the Old Testament, tithing was never money ~ and only those with crops or animals tithed.  Jesus and his family would never have tithed (even under the Law of Moses at the time), for they were carpenters.  Giving cheerfully and not out of compulsion (legality) is the New Covenant.

3. Transministry profile image59

Thank you for your comments so far. I love them. Wish to see more comments that address the current practices in our churches today.

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

If I am not mistaken the tithe was paid once a year and it concerned 10% of your increase.

If you had 100 sheep last year and now youhave 110.
    There is an increase of 10 sheep.
    10% of 10 sheep is One sheep.

5. Transministry profile image59

What if I am not rearing sheep; and I am not a farmer but working for an organization earning a monthly salary? Am I expected to take 10% of my pay cheque to the church?

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are attending Church and getting anything from it and want to continue doing so I would say that you should support the church as you can and/or feel is appropriate.

As far as the supposed to OR  expected to; that is a long subject thatwould run too long for one person to answer.
      That would best be explained in  a HUB.

2. lifegate profile image78
      lifegateposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think giving to the Lord should be proportionate to what we have. However, I don' think 10% is asking too much. We'll spend our money on the things that are important to us. Our giving is just a reflection of  how much we truly love God. Besides, He also owns the other 90%. We need to wisely spend it as well.

6. Transministry profile image59

Thanks you very much, you have made your point. You are not against supporting the church financially but you do not flow with the tithing of salary element. One can support the church with even 50% of his or her salary but should not be tagged tithing because that is not in consonance with the law of tithing. I agree with you. God loves a cheerful giver; not by compulsion.

7. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Sounds like a great plan...to promote the makings of a gravy train for liars and imposters. Why not just give the entire paycheck if one is such a damn fool.

8. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Tithing is a standing law with the covenant people of God. It is directly associated with the higher priesthood. As Abraham tithed to the high priest Melchisedec, they broke bread and drank wine in similitude of the administration of the sacrament that was to come. Hence it is an eternal law and not part of the law of Moses which was fufilled by the sacrifice of the only begotten son of God.

1. Judah's Daughter profile image78
      Judah's Daughterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Abraham tithed once of his spoils from war.  We have a new High Priest, and that is Jesus Christ.  Even He wouldn't have tithed in His day, as He was a Carpenter.  'Tithing' was never money either.  Most 'cults' demand tithing 10% of a person's gross income (money) and this is not scriptural.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word tithe means to pay one tenth of an persons annual increase, it is a very scriptural concept. And note that Abraham tithed to the high priest, not the other way around. So I wouldn't expect Jesus to tithe to himself. Hence our tithing goes to the Bishop of the church who is under the direction of the Lord.

1. profile image0

In fact because the Bishop is the representative of Christ to the church, we, just as Abraham, are tithing directly to the High Priest of us all, for the building up of God's kingdom on earth.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image78
          Judah's Daughterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hebrews 7:11-14

"Now if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the people received the Law), what further need was there for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be designated according to the order of Aaron?

"For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of Law also.

"For the one concerning whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no one has officiated at the altar.

"For it is evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, a tribe with reference to which Moses spoke nothing concerning priests."

1. profile image0

Yes I believe in these scriptures as well, and I believe that they are in perfect harmony with the beliefs and standards of my church.

9. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I do not know !!!  I haven't read that much about paying tithes, But I think that when people started bringing money and buying their animals from the money changers for their burned offerings; Which Jesus was opposed to!! .... this act or custom ushered in the concept of paying tiths to the church??

BUT  after the temple was destroyed in 70 AD;  who was the tithes paid to? Was this practice abolished until the Romans started builting their churches?

Hate posting and running (going to bed)  but that is where I'm going in a   few minutes.

10. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 14 years ago

10% is definitely a pattern of the OT. Any christian who can't give 10% is a loser. Any christian who has reasons NOT to give 10% is a huge loser and i pray that god only give them what they give to god.
         As i mention in my hub on tithing, we can give god our best or we can give him less than our best. If we give him less than our best we can certainly expect less than his best and good luck to you on judgment day. I am tired of christians using 'grace' and 'I don't see it in the scriptures' as an excuse for simple and common deductions using what i call, "spiritual common sense". Did not god save your soul? Does not god say in his word that he will meet all your needs? Did not god say 100 things concerning prosperity if ye obey his commandments and walk in his ways?
         10% of a 1000 = 100... boo hoo im a christian and i cant live without this 100. Shame on you, you are not a christian and i bet the rest of your walk with Him sucks too. This is going out generally to all christians who think they can short change god and get away with it.

11. Deaconess profile image60
    Deaconessposted 14 years ago

Let's be honest here... tithes are not given to "God" they are given to clergy, and hopefully, shared with the community. Even in the old testament, this reality was recognized. At the old temples, the only offerings that were considered given to God were the ones that were totally burnt up to ashes; everything else was considered "set apart for the purposes of God" which included taking care of those who take care of the sanctuary, taking care of the sanctuary, and caring for the community. With this in mind, the only type of modern day tithe that should be considered given to God, is money that you "literally" burn at the altar.

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True all we hear about is the animal tithe, except that abraham gave tithes of ALL he had to Melchizedek, that included the GOLD and SILVER, etc..
               oh and remember this story:
      Mark 12:41   And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
        Mark 12:42   And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. (uh oh money, ahem)
        Mark 12:43   And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
        Mark 12:44   For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
      Gee we see money being given.. how unlucky for you. I guess you will have to undo all your philosophy concerning tithes and give god your best. Maybe read my hub on tithing. smile

12. Diane Inside profile image71
    Diane Insideposted 14 years ago

Tithes, are very vital to the church, they pay for what ever bills the church has. ie. electric bill, gas bill, mortgage, repairs, and so on. As well as whatever, the church feels needed in the community, or at the very least in it's own congregation. I personally don't agree with ministers who do not work outside the church but there are some churches who do pay their minister, and secretaries, etc depending on how big the church is. I believe God would want us to pay tithes if we go to church, but if not give to the community or a charity. That helps as well.

1. profile image57

God blesses us every day, and we should pay tithes, sometimes people can not pay without getting into bill money, at this time God does not expect you to pay, If my neighbor's house burnt down, I would not think any thing of giving my tithes to them, instead of the church. If you know some one in need and your tithes is all you have, give it to them, if you are in a large church then hopefully, you can give the church the tithes and the church will help better than you can

13. BethShay777 profile image59
    BethShay777posted 14 years ago

Wel the Bible says to give 10% of all you make to God. So even if your neighbors house burnt down you still need to save 10% for Him and you will be rewarded. smile)

1. profile image57

10% of your increase

1. BethShay777 profile image59
        BethShay777posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes that

2. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you think any god has ever seen a penny of those tithes, or has it gone to some earthly people, instead?  wink

3. profile image57

since most churches has building funds, funds for about everything except helping those in need, I wonder just how much God thinks about the churches teaching to pay tithes even if you do not have money for all your bills, or teaching to pay tithes instead of helping out those in need

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I Timothy 5:8 - "But if any provide not for his own, especially for those of his own household, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel".

14. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 12 years ago

that is one of the problems of using denominational trained ministers.   They do not understand the scriptures.  They believe what they are taught.  If they did really know the scriptures then they would understand that the law is done - completed -- FINISHED.   Tithe was part of the law to provide for the Levites, in FACT NO ONE but a Natural Born Levite could collect a tithe so even if they dont understand that the law is gone, they are still NOT qualified to collect it.     The church system is as messed up as the rest of the world and the only way to learn truth is to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and study the bible so He can reveal truth.   I always tell people before I start to teach "do not believe what i am teaching until you have studied it out in scripture and have the Holy Spirit confirm it is truth"  and I think this advise should preface ANY and all teaching and preaching.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen. Tithing as is taught today was invented at the Council of Marcon in 585 AD. It was enforced in secular law throughout Europe from the 8th century. Up until the 6th century lay persons in the church did not tithe.

Besides which being told that tithing is giving to God is not true. The money props up a professional ministry with mortgages to pay. Telling people they are robbing God by not tithing is also a blasphemous lie.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)