Why atheism?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

Read this article & comment:

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/WhyAtheism.htm

Very interesting how the early church tortured and murdered early scientists

1. profile image56
      stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religious institutions and believers remain opposed to the scientific method.  They'll lie, defame, and destroy things on the cutting edge but then, years later, demand the fruits of knowledge gained from what they railed against.

As Martin Luther observed reason kills superstition. 

Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
      Martin Luther

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
      Martin Luther

Reason is the enemy of faith.
      Martin Luther

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Luther

Table Talk (1569)

* A theologian is born by living, nay dying and being damned, not by thinking, reading, or speculating.
                o 352.

* Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not --struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.
                o 353.
      Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God.

* Said to be from V, 1312

2. hanging out profile image59
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The early church did not murder and torture, CATHOLICISM did that. The early church was imbued with the Holy Ghost in acts chapter 2. CATHOLICISM withheld the bible from the masses so they couldn't read what was so obviously wrong. In that Luther found his calling. I wish people would put the blame on where the blame belongs. Firstly, wayyyyyyyyyy in the past. Secondly, wayyyyyyyyyy in the past, Thirdly, by the CATHOLIC church.
      The early church had the apostles of Christ promoting peaceful ways in a time when, it is reported that Nero burnt rome and blamed it on the christians (early church) All the apostles had horrible deaths but remained faithful to christ. People do not die for crap. People die for what they believe to be true. Put any belief directly in front of death or imprisonment and see how important their belief is.
      I had a good chuckle from the atheist website. I have lived a life of nothingness and i wouldn't go back there for all the world. The carnal mind is enmity towards the things of God and that page was completely and totally carnal thinking at its best. lol
      to diminish that page i will just mention, light. Science thought light flowed in particles at one time then they got a new instrument, machinery of some kind and discovered, light moved in waves. Trust in science if you will but do not trust in science for anything because tomorrow it may change but the God of the bible will never change

1. profile image56

hanging out posted

"The early church did not murder and torture, CATHOLICISM did that."

*God* did that.

hanging out posted
        "The early church was imbued with the Holy Ghost in acts chapter 2."

This was just before Santa Claus began to build his manufacturing plant and consider his delivery system.

By the way, the Keebler Elves are still laughing about their Holy Ghost gag.

hanging out posted
        "CATHOLICISM withheld the bible from the masses so they couldn't read what was so obviously wrong."

The wrongness starts from the first page of any Bible and continues to the last sentence period.

hanging out posted
        "In that Luther found his calling. I wish people would put the blame on where the blame belongs. "

I agree.  The blame belongs with God.

hanging out posted
        "Firstly, wayyyyyyyyyy in the past. Secondly, wayyyyyyyyyy in the past, Thirdly, by the CATHOLIC church.
        The early church had the apostles of Christ promoting peaceful ways"

Peaceful ways such as:
        Matthew 10 (King James Version)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Then there's his humbleness and stance toward family values:

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Gibbering insanity then follows:

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

40 He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

hanging out posted
        "in a time when, it is reported that Nero burnt rome and blamed it on the christians (early church) All the apostles had horrible deaths but remained faithful to christ. People do not die for crap. People die for what they believe to be true."

And what people believe and die for can be crap.

hanging out posted
        "Put any belief directly in front of death or imprisonment and see how important their belief is."

Immaterial.  Such isn't an indicator of validity.

hanging out posted
        "I had a good chuckle from the atheist website. I have lived a life of nothingness and i wouldn't go back there for all the world."

You're living a life of nothingness with your superstition.  Your prerogative and you're welcome to it.

Chuckle all you like.  How about being daring and addressing the points raised?

hanging out posted
        "The carnal mind is enmity towards the things of God and that page was completely and totally carnal thinking at its best. lol"

Oh oh, false witness alert!  The page showed the problems with superstitious 'thinking.'

Now, if you want carnal you'll find all sorts of that in the Bible!  You've got rape, sex slaves, and 'emissions like horses' as well as carnal poetry and imagery.

hanging out posted
        "to diminish that page i will just mention, light. Science thought light flowed in particles at one time then they got a new instrument, machinery of some kind and discovered, light moved in waves. Trust in science if you will but do not trust in science for anything because tomorrow it may change..."

The only thing you've diminished is your stature of integrity.  Science isn't something to be trusted.  The scientific method is an objective way to find out about things.  It is self-correcting.  As for things changing-its a radical concept called learning.

You might consider exploring the concept.

hanging out posted
        "but the God of the bible will never change"

I agree.  It will always remain lousy stone and bronze age fictional snuff material.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

400 years ago, in Galileo's time, the Protestants were rebelling against their ancestoral roots.   The protestants were not innocent of torture etc.

http://freetruth.50webs.org/A2e.htm

Are you saying that your "line" of christianity came straight from Jesus' apostles, by-passing the catholic church?

3. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you got that correct.

The early church did NOT torture anyone! They were the ones tortured. Not the least of which were the Jews (including Saul, later known as Paul) and the Romans.

It wasn't till the dark ages that the "church", as apostate as it was, did the torturing.

2. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

It is very sad that they took such measures, and clearly were afraid of the unknown. And what seemingly contradicted their beliefs.

I am not an atheist, and do believe in a higher power. However I embrace science and believe God gave man a brain, and he intends that they use it. Try to answer, all questions. And find scientific answers to all lifes questions.

I believe that man will go far beyond what we even now know and find even move answers. It is wonderful, to learn new things, and I only wish I had paid closer attention in school.

Scientist are a great asset to the world.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many people do things to contradict their beliefs.
      This statement is a perfect example of someone who doesn't understand their own life and looks to a god for answer to solve problems.

First off, let's get one thing straight- humankind will never learn all the answers. Secondly, just in case, you lack wisdom- you should know that not all questions need be answered. hmm
      Whatever you do, don't stop learning. The more open-minded you are, the better. It will allow you to see things more clearly.

1. libby101a profile image60
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with part of your statement Cagsil! We will never know all the answers on this Earth! And not all questions need to be answered!

We should all keep the learning open! One can never learn enough! Knowledge is the key to understanding! The more we know the more we can understand! Keeping an open mind is always the best policy!

1. marty1968 profile image60
          marty1968posted 13 years agoin reply to this

libby will you go to facebook? I want to tell you something about the website

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got to love secret meetings. lol

And people wonder why there is so mistrust in religious folk. lol

1. libby101a profile image60
              libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny Cagsil! I have a website and he is a member!

No mistrust on my part!

Thanks for caring though!!

Smiles!!!

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. profile image56

Diane Inside posted
      "It is very sad that they took such measures, and clearly were afraid of the unknown. And what seemingly contradicted their beliefs."

Such was a demonstrated threat as it showed the Church was in error.  That couldn't be tolerated.  Its the same problem today.  If the Church, or Bible, is wrong about things that can be checked what about things which cannot be checked?

Diane Inside posted
      "I am not an atheist, and do believe in a higher power. However I embrace science and believe God gave man a brain, and he intends that they use it. Try to answer, all questions. And find scientific answers to all lifes questions."

Not all questions are valid.  And not all questions, such as why, can be answered.

Diane Inside posted
      "I believe that man will go far beyond what we even now know and find even move answers. It is wonderful, to learn new things, and I only wish I had paid closer attention in school.

Scientist are a great asset to the world."

The advance of the knowledge 'avalanche' is mind boggling and the speed is increasing.

What the world really needs now is hefty growth in wisdom and rationality.

I see it like this.  Drop a pebble into a still pond.  Stop time.  The area within the first ripple ring is what is known.

The ripple is the edge of knowledge and questions for which answers are being sought.

The area outside is the unknown.

Advance time then stop it again.

The area within the first ripple ring has expanded.

The area of the ripple ring has expanded even more.

The area outside the ripple ring has expanded exponentially.

Answers to many questions of the past have been found.

New findings have raised even more questions and an awareness of how much we don't know.

One can start and stop time, in this example, as often as they wish and see the changes.

There are current questions which won't be answered in the life time of anyone currently alive.

That doesn't scare me.

For many questions "I/we don't know but based on 'x' we think the explanation is such and such."

We've also found items like Newton's Law to have limited application(s).  However, it all works well for things up to a particular point.

I did pay attention in school and the progress made since is mind blowing.

The great thing is the materials are there for anything a person desires to learn.

For some things though the language hasn't developed enough to describe them.

Here's an item which is a mind blower.
      Dr Quantum - Double Slit Experiment
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

This stuff is wild and quite the head scratcher.

3. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

every religion starts with nobel cause..most religious system start with humanity , love and such things..as they gain followers and come in position to call the shots , murders , execution of those who think differently happens..it is plain human nature...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)