America the christian nation

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

From reading hubs and forum posts, I was surprised that America considers itself a christian nation, & many american christians were very intolerant of other views (eg saying things like "all atheists are evil", attacking people of other religions, saying, "we were here first" etc)

I also notice celebrities seem to be over-rated in America too (and overpaid)- TV personalities, actors, sports-people, rich people with no talent etc

Heard terrible things about the hatred in the bible belt (eg of homosexuals)

What's so christian about america?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does any other country exercises the right of freedom of expression as America does?
        I think that maybe in America we have taken this right to extreme. And therefore we may seem to be that which we seem to be.

And concerning racism ..  Racism is but one form of many prejudices.  I have never been in any group that everyone there were not prejudice concerning some issue  or  group or thing.

It seems to be human nature that the more abundant that issue of your prejudice becomes in your life the more reactive you become to it. The more verbal.

Everybody does it!  But most do not admit it. It just isn't as noticeable when the object of your prejudice isn't starring you in the face every day.
          That old -fight or flight- instinct.
          Everyone is prejudice of something, to some degree.
      If you do not know what yours is yet, just wait until it comes up and stares you in the face. You will recognize it then.

Just saying that it is easy to recognize my faults and become prejudiced against them.

Everyone is doing it so it must be OK.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Morning Brother!  I'm prejudice against alarm clocks!!!

It is true.  I think most people have a little prejudice in them.  I think a lot of it depends on their upbringing.

Morning...  you going to work today? 
            If so must be second shift ...  don't sound like you had your coffee yet.   

I'm also prejudiced against empty coffee cups.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
            stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, no work today, but my coffee cup is empty.  I do need to fill it back up.
            I worked 1st shift last week ( I hate alarm clocks!! )  I think it should be illegal to get out of bed at 5 am!!!!  2nd shift next week.
            You working today?  It is coooooooold here!

Love ya

Sorry   was over in hub land. 
              No not been working out in the world much for about a week and 1/2 ..  Working around the place though.

YEP it is cold this AM  down to freezing 70 for a high.

I'm prejudice against cold.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

freedom of expression - you mean "free speech"?  As long as you're not someone like Oprah when she made her never going to eat a hamburger again statement which upset beef farmers?
        From outside America, it was reported that most Americans thought going to war was a good idea and people were afraid to speak out against Bush - any truth in that (guess there is some, given the way the Dixie Chicks? were slaughtered for saying something)

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"What's so christian about america?"

Nothing. It's an officially secular Constitutional Republic that officially guarantees the freedom to believe (or not) and worship (or not) as you see fit, as long as you do not violate another person's rights.

We were founded by Christians, yes, and we have a Christian majority, yes. But we do not have a Christian foundation, nor are our laws and/or Constitution based on the Ten Commandments or any other Biblical excerpt, no matter what the ideologues agitating in favor of theocracy would have you believe.

The founders, though most of them were Christians of one stripe or another, deliberately chose not to make the US a "Christian nation," believing that both the church and the state would be better off if they didn't mix.

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The constitution starts out, "We the People" and there is no mention of Christians or God contained within it. Further to that, in 1797 America made a treaty with Tripoli, declaring that "the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." smile

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

We are a Constitutional Republic , with a Christian foundation.Not a Christian Nation.  People are free to practice whatever religion they like.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get the impression that America is more racist than other western nations too

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends who you ask, and what race you are.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do you assume "Creator" implies Christian?

Some of the people involved in that document were Deists, not Christians.  Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin,  Hamilton and others were such.

"Creator" means what it says and by itself only says that the person using the term can't imagine that something exists without being created.   It doesn't automatically imply gods and even if the person does think the "creator" was some sort of god, it certainly doesn't say that god has all the Christian nonsense attributes.  In the case of Deists, Christian clap-trap was rejected outright.

Who said I assumed anything?  I think that is what you just did.

1. Pcunix profile image90

You said "We are a Constitutional Republic , with a Christian foundation"

You then quoted the part of Declaration of Independence that includes that "Creator" bit.

You want to explain why it is unreasonable to assume you were trying to say that the quote supported your assertion?

It was actually to support the fact that people are free to practice whatever religion they like no matter what creator they believe in.  You conveniently left out the rest of what I said and then made an assumption.  In fact, it was the very last sentence I wrote, which was then directly supported by a quote.  Get your facts straight and don't assume.

Then you simply presented your argument poorly by adding that "Christian foundation" nonsense.  If you had left that out, I wouldn't have said a word.

Nor did I "conveniently" leave anything out. I quoted you in full.

Oh yeah?  You misinterpreted, so it's my fault.  LOL, you left out the whole last sentence.  I wasn't making an argument, I was stating a fact.  Lastly, it's no secret that there was a strong Christian foundation behind the establishment of the United States.  Discussing this with you is pointless, because you obviously already have your mind made up. God Speed.

I left out nothing.   I didn't edit your post in any way.  Go back and look again.  Nor did I "misinterpret".  You assert a Christian foundation; I say  you are mistaken.

It is your "fact" that I object to.   The Deists among the Founders were not Christians.  That undermines your assertion of a Christian foundation.   In fact, the foundation was Christians (Christians of competing sects, of course), Jews, Deists, atheists, agnostics and no doubt others if we don't ignore those who sent these representatives to form the Nation -Muslims, Buddhists, Druids, Wiccans...

No monolithic Christian foundation no matter how much you want it to be so,.

I studied in school (OH so long ago)  that most everyone that came here were running away from the Church organization such as it was at the time.  They were called misfits of every sort. 
                        My teachers taught that the freedom of religion was centered around having a choice as to which ONE.
                       I think that history leaves out the  OR  NOT part.

2. ediggity profile image61

Sorry, but our Founding Fathers disagree with you.

http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_F … igion.html
                    Religious Affiliation   
                                      # of signers % of signers
                    Episcopalian/Anglican    32    57.1%
                    Congregationalist    13    23.2%
                    Presbyterian            12    21.4%
                    Quaker                     2    3.6%
                    Unitarian or Universalist2    3.6%
                    Catholic             1    1.8%
                    TOTAL                    56    100%

Name of Signer    State    Religious Affiliation
                    Charles Carroll    Maryland    Catholic
                    Samuel Huntington    Connecticut    Congregationalist
                    Roger Sherman    Connecticut    Congregationalist
                    William Williams    Connecticut    Congregationalist
                    Oliver Wolcott    Connecticut    Congregationalist
                    Lyman Hall    Georgia    Congregationalist
                    Samuel Adams    Massachusetts    Congregationalist
                    John Hancock    Massachusetts    Congregationalist
                    Josiah Bartlett    New Hampshire    Congregationalist
                    William Whipple    New Hampshire    Congregationalist
                    William Ellery    Rhode Island    Congregationalist
                    John Adams    Massachusetts    Congregationalist; Unitarian
                    Robert Treat Paine    Massachusetts    Congregationalist; Unitarian
                    George Walton    Georgia    Episcopalian
                    John Penn    North Carolina    Episcopalian
                    George Ross    Pennsylvania    Episcopalian
                    Thomas Heyward Jr.    South Carolina    Episcopalian
                    Thomas Lynch Jr.    South Carolina    Episcopalian
                    Arthur Middleton    South Carolina    Episcopalian
                    Edward Rutledge    South Carolina    Episcopalian
                    Francis Lightfoot Lee    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    Richard Henry Lee    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    George Read    Delaware    Episcopalian
                    Caesar Rodney    Delaware    Episcopalian
                    Samuel Chase    Maryland    Episcopalian
                    William Paca    Maryland    Episcopalian
                    Thomas Stone    Maryland    Episcopalian
                    Elbridge Gerry    Massachusetts    Episcopalian
                    Francis Hopkinson    New Jersey    Episcopalian
                    Francis Lewis    New York    Episcopalian
                    Lewis Morris    New York    Episcopalian
                    William Hooper    North Carolina    Episcopalian
                    Robert Morris    Pennsylvania    Episcopalian
                    John Morton    Pennsylvania    Episcopalian
                    Stephen Hopkins    Rhode Island    Episcopalian
                    Carter Braxton    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    Benjamin Harrison    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    Thomas Nelson Jr.    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    George Wythe    Virginia    Episcopalian
                    Thomas Jefferson    Virginia    Episcopalian (Deist)
                    Benjamin Franklin    Pennsylvania    Episcopalian (Deist)
                    Button Gwinnett    Georgia    Episcopalian; Congregationalist
                    James Wilson    Pennsylvania    Episcopalian; Presbyterian
                    Joseph Hewes    North Carolina    Quaker, Episcopalian
                    George Clymer    Pennsylvania    Quaker, Episcopalian
                    Thomas McKean    Delaware    Presbyterian
                    Matthew Thornton    New Hampshire    Presbyterian
                    Abraham Clark    New Jersey    Presbyterian
                    John Hart    New Jersey    Presbyterian
                    Richard Stockton    New Jersey    Presbyterian
                    John Witherspoon    New Jersey    Presbyterian
                    William Floyd    New York    Presbyterian
                    Philip Livingston    New York    Presbyterian
                    James Smith    Pennsylvania    Presbyterian
                    George Taylor    Pennsylvania    Presbyterian
                    Benjamin Rush    Pennsylvania    Presbyterian

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
                  Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Lastly, it's no secret that there was a strong Christian foundation behind the establishment of the United States. "

No, you've used true data to reach an erroneous conclusion.

While its true that the founders were Christians of one kind or another, (and with varying degrees of devoutness, orthodoxy, and heresy, rather like folks today) it's also true that they deliberately did not give Christianity any privileged status, nor did they even acknowledge its existence, in the Constitution. In fact, they made it clear that there would be no established church, and that the people's would not be stopped from worshipping (or not) according to their own conscience.

This whole "Christian Nation" movement is based on distortions and falsehoods, and I'm beginning to think that those distortions and falsehoods are not mere errors of understanding or differences of opinion, but deliberate distortions and falsehoods, designed to give Christianity some kind of privileged status at the expense of every kind of non-Christian, and of every non-orthodox* Christian.

This is insidious, tyrannical, and a vile perversion of the intent of the founders (whom the members of the Christian Nation Movement claim to respect and value).

Pcunix may have made up his mind, but at least he's not making up facts to suit his argument.

*That is, small-O orthodox, meaning 'mainstream,' not the big-O Orthodox Church descended from the church of the Byzantine Empire.

There is no erroneous conclusion, which is further supported by your indistinguishable contradiction:

"We were founded by Christians, yes, and we have a Christian majority, yes. But we do not have a Christian foundation"

So, we were founded by Christians, but have no Christian foundation?  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Lastly I made no reference to any, "Christian Nation" movement (sic)
                    or any "privileged status"

I specifically stated that the United States is a Constitutional Republic with the freedom to choose whatever religion one wants, or none at all.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
                    dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

very well said Jeff, spot on.

3. Anesidora profile image59
      Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christian foundation? No, I don't think so. A christian background, I would agree, but not a christian foundation.

3. profile image58
    exorterposted 13 years ago

we are not a Christian Nation, just because some one goes to church does not make them Christians, The tares will grow with the wheat,
    Christians are a minority in the U.S.
    It is easy to take the talk.
    But walking the walk is another thing in itself

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

USA is a Christian nation by attitude and by number of members and public office leaders.

The Government and the constitution is science base as the god word is not written in the constitution

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

One of the most influential aspects of American tradition that shapes our thinking is the concept of Freedom of religion. Historically speaking, the only group which has made this trend popular are the Masons. However the fact remains that this country was first settled by seekers of freedom of religious oppression by the English. Those first settlers were all different denominations of Christianity.     

Always trying to re-write history......

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Columbus was the first European to bring piracy, slavery, Christianity and the gold rush.

The Mayflower Compact was the basis for a Christian nation based upon Biblical precepts and founded upon a covenant relationship with God.

The creation of the United States of America involved a significant number of Freemasons, George Washington most prominent among them. One symbol is the cross and bone society

What will they evolved to next

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)